5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobski

His loan spell showed a guy who offered very little in deeper midfield areas but some goal threat and possible chance creation skills higher up. If Mount happens are we intending to play him deeper alongside Casemiro, would be an odd choice given his career has been built on playing in the most attacking midfield role, if not Sabitzer would be a redundant signing, a waste of what will be a substantial wage.

El Jefe

Was crazy the number of people that thought we should keep him. Then again back in March there were still people that wanted us to keep Wout.

Thankfully the club did the right thing with both.

Drizzle

Was crazy the number of people that thought we should keep him. Then again back in March there were still people that wanted us to keep Wout.

In fact you could argue that Wout had more of an impact than Sabitzer.

Neither remotely good enough of course.

R0nald0

Under a rug on top of a mountain under the stars.
This is a no for so many reasons

1 - He wants to leave Bayern as he doesn't want to be a back up - this has no benefit for him.
2 - He's not good enough to be a regular in the team - he's at a similar level to our other back up players in McFred. If we sell McFred, it doesn't make sense to replace with similar quality players, we might as well keep McFred!
3 - My view is that the back up players should be younger with the potential to become first team regulars in the future. So people who have not reached their potential yet, which ae being groomed. For that reason I'd rather buy someone like Lavia. Yes he would cost more but would also have considerable re-sale value vs Sabitzer.

stevoc

He was basically invisible and poor in all his matches except for two or three when he played in the #10 role. He didn't have a single good match in the deeper roles. If that's anybody's idea of 'reliable' then they have a very different definition than I do.

Obviously there is a chance that with more time he would have improved, but based purely on what he'd done for us during his loan he would have been a pointless signing.
From what I've seen of him he's more suited to playing further up the pitch as opposed to in a 2.

I think he found it hard as he was constantly moved around and rarely played 2-3 matches in a row.

Which is fair enough if ERH didn't fancy him but on quite a few occasions Weghorst was preferred as a 10. Because of that I believe Sabitzer was unlucky to nit be given more opportunities to make an impact.

stevoc

His fitness wasn't reliable and his performances were mostly below average. Fred outperformed in that same period and he's a player the manager doesn't rate that highly.
How many injuries did he have while at United?

izec

He is similar to Mount in quite a few things and especially positionally. Made no sense to keep him.

redshaw

Didn't show enough to be worth keeping, would be an expensive backup that would get less games next season. I wish him well at Bayern or playing regularly somewhere else, thanks for coming here and giving it a go while Eriksen was injured.

AndySmith1990

He was disappointly average during his time here. We already have enough average midfielders with Fred and McTominay

Bertie Wooster

Ability / temperament wise, I'd have been happy enough to see him signed as a useful squad player and an upgrade on the likes of VDB, Fred, McTominay.

However, taking into account all the other issues - FFP, takeover, etc - then, now we've signed Mount, I think any other CM signing should be an understudy for Casemiro, while we focus elsewhere on GK, #9, etc.

If, after those priorities are addressed - and if we've managed to offload some of our other squad midfielders - then I'd be OK with Sabitzer joining to compete with Fernandes, Mount and Eriksen in the forward thinking CAM roles. Especially if we play a 6 and two hybrid 8/10's, as that would suit Sabitzer well, rather than playing deeper alongside Casemiro. But extra cover in that position isn't a big priority now Mount as joined, and far more important that we successfully address a few other positions.

Last edited:

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Signing him was a mistake because he isn't like Eriksen at all. But we were all fooled and actually the descriptions I saw of Sabitzer (before he played for us that is) sounded very similar to that I hear now on Mount.

Bertie Wooster

In what way is he an upgrade on Fred? Fred was far better and, despite what people make out, more consistent.
Different opinions, that's all.

Personally, if we're playing a 6 and two hybrid 8/10's, then I'd like a better understudy to Casemiro brought in rather than Fred or McTominay playing there. And I'd be happy enough with Sabitzer brought in as the 3rd / 4th choice in the two hybrid 8/10 roles as I rate him higher than either Fred, McTominay or VDB for what he can offer linking up on the ball as well as contributing goals.

But some will think Fred can play that role better, others McTominay, etc. End of the day it's what ETH and the budget decides, really. Just saying I'd be happy enough if we opted for Sabitzer. But, as I said, it's not a big priority and more concerned with us addressing the first choice GK and #9 situation rather than being overly worried about the squad player decisions.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I'd rather give Hannibal a go if energetic, occasionally exciting, and inconsistent is the vibe.

Davie Moyes

Glad we are not keeping him. As a squad option we should be giving chances to younger players from the academy or purchases.

The main reason for not keeping him has to be the reported £210k a week salary though (if true).

Bertie Wooster

I'd rather give Hannibal a go if energetic, occasionally exciting, and inconsistent is the vibe.
I've loved watching Hannibal at youth levels and really think he's in the small group of Academy products who could make it here if given a chance. So, yeah, I'd be very happy with that option. But I figured senior players were more likely so was focusing on those. But, hopefully, either Hannibal or Amad, or both, will be given some genuine chances as squad players to see how they perform.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

A lot of people seem to prefer any signing over no signing.
But both Weigy and Sabitzer were really just squad fill at a time we needed numbers.

doomy20

Bayern announced to let him go for 15M€. Still baffled how we don’t take the chance and go into the season with Fred and Mc fecking Tominay as back ups (delusional to think we‘ll sign someone else if we can’t even get a striker in). Bad bad squad management

Malone_Post

Bayern announced to let him go for 15M€. Still baffled how we don’t take the chance and go into the season with Fred and Mc fecking Tominay as back ups (delusional to think we‘ll sign someone else if we can’t even get a striker in). Bad bad squad management
Sabitzer had 6 months to prove he was better then then Fred & McTominay and failed to do so. He was incredibly underwhelming and would be, at best, a sideways move.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Completely forgot he existed. He was kinda useful at times and that game when he scored twice was great. I certainly wouldn't want him long-term though.

TheRedHearted

With Mount on the way surely the priority in midfield has to be cover for Casemiro. We've no-one who is comfortable there right now.
Should really be Caicedo. Casemiro is dangerous drifting forward and more of a box to box.
Rashford - Striker
————Bruno————
—————Mount
——Caicedo—Casemiro

redcucumber

Baffled we don't take the chance? It's not like we don't know anything about him - he was here for 6 months and offered little. He's also on high wages and is leaving Bayern because he isn't good enough and wants to be a starter. He isn't United level.

TomMUFC8

I see both sides of the argument with Sabitzer. Personally, I'd like to see him stay on but have no issues with him not returning. Felt he added more than what he got credit for.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Fred and McTominay are actually useful squad players to cover for midfield roles, Sabitzer would be 3rd/4th choice AM/#10 in the club now that we have Mount.

I'm addition this guy had 3 injuries when playing for us in a short spell. We should stay clear as he solves zero issues.

Betson

Not surprised we have no interest in making it permanent , average enough player who made little impact here.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Status
Not open for further replies.