View full 2014-15 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

ZDwyr

A disappointing performance I thought, after his decent few anyway. Should have played with Smalling I think because of Smalling's height. Jones was a bit all over the place too.

Not his best game but still the best of the CBs. Coped well with endless long balls to West Hams powerful and fast forwards and was there to cover Jones going walkabout a few times.

His mis-control moment was poor but i like the way he made damn sure if the ball was through one on one there was no way the player was going past him.

Definitely needs a calming influence next to him, but otherwise our best defender.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Apart from the 1 dodgy touch I thought he was solid again. Valencia and Sakho are speedy and full of energy, they are a defenders worst nightmare. He actually handled them really well, and won a fair share of headers too.

I agree that I am amazed Smalling didn't start too, what he prefers in Jones I have no idea.

gza the genius

We really need him at center back, he's much better there and he's much better than the alternatives. If Shaw is out I'd much rather see Blind at left back and Rojo at center back. Evans was terrible today.

justboy68

More clearances, more interceptions and more aerial duels won than any other player on the pitch.

Looked like a centre back covering at left back though.

JohnnyLaw

Obviously better at CB, didn't contribute much to our attack at all today. However, he won most of his duels and was very solid defensively, so I think he did quite well again.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
We really need him at center back, he's much better there and he's much better than the alternatives. If Shaw is out I'd much rather see Blind at left back and Rojo at center back. Evans was terrible today.
That leaves us without a midfield though. I'd even play Blackett just to keep him in the centre and to keep Evans away

ZDwyr

Definitely is a CB I think. Hopefully Shaw can stay fit now because with them both on that left side I am very comfortable when we are defending.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Do not move Smalling - Rojo partnership at any circumstances. They seem to be the one and only solid pair of CBs we have. I trust them and I would rather play Young as Leftback if that means Evans doesn’t play.
Am I exaggerating this or is he really that good when faced one on one with a forward? Like he seems to stop forwards running at him with ease.
Yeah he seems comfortable in one on one situations.

Getsme

Really like this fella, he's still a bit clumsy at times but out of all our signings he's come on the most.

Devil may care

I thought he was poor tonight, him and Smalling both looked like they had Evansitis when the ball came towards them on the deck.

Loublaze

ATLien
Has Rojo been a big improvement on our other CBs? He's a big improvement on Evans obviously. He can pass and he's added steel at the back (Evans of course is the two footed passer but he's always been physically weak) but he's been on par with Jones and Smalling. Decent season but I expect improvements next season.

Dante

Average bang
I still don't rate him that highly. He seems just as error prone as Smalling and Jones, without the long term potential of either.

SiRed

I still don't rate him that highly. He seems just as error prone as Smalling and Jones, without the long term potential of either.
Rojo is 24. Jones is 22 and Smalling is 25 so what you say about long term potential is obsolete. They are all at a similar stage in their careers, however with Rojo being a much better player than both - its gives the impression he is more experienced.

Kounan

Rojo is 24. Jones is 22 and Smalling is 25 so what you say about long term potential is obsolete. They are all at a similar stage in their careers, however with Rojo being a much better player than both - its gives the impression he is more experienced.
And Smalling being a better defender. So it will be interesting.

Dante

Average bang
No, he's not.

Kounan

Debatable!
Not in my opinion. They do make mistakes, none of the to many, but Smalling has games where he totally dominates, or where he is the only one holding the defense together, while Rojo doesn't. For now, I would say the reason for that is that Rojo is an all round better player, so he tends to go more forward, or to play with more risks, is more adventurous, and that always leaves space behind.

SiRed

Not in my opinion. They do make mistakes, none of the to many, but Smalling has games where he totally dominates, or where he is the only one holding the defense together, while Rojo doesn't. For now, I would say the reason for that is that Rojo is an all round better player, so he tends to go more forward, or to play with more risks, is more adventurous, and that always leaves space behind.
I agree with most of your post but what game has Smalling totally dominted? id like an example of this as i cant recall. Munich away last season he did well, but so did Buttner.

marlowe78

I like him but I don't think he had a particularly good game yesterday, though he wasn't alone. Preston were pressing forward and it looked like we were tossing around a landmine back there. Even Blind was not particularly good with it.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Well given Vidic and Evras' first few months were less then convincing i will reserve judgment on him for the time being. I can't really say he's done anything to make me doubt he wont make it with us, he's been solid and slowly learning the english game, probably getting better with every game. Who knows how good he could be for us.

Loublaze

ATLien
He's not much better than Smalling and Jones. If anything he's at their level. Once the new boy shine wears off people will notice how error prone he is. He's made some mistakes that none of our other CBs would get away with on this forum.

JohnnyLaw

I agree with most of your post but what game has Smalling totally dominted? id like an example of this as i cant recall. Munich away last season he did well, but so did Buttner.
Yeah, I'm not sure about that either. Smalling can have great games but mistakes like the one against Burnley for Ings goal aren't that uncommon for him and he often looks nervy when he plays. No need to pit them againt each other yet though as Smalling along with Rojo is not only our two individually best CBs atm but also a very good partnership, and they are both still young and able to improve.

On Buttner, I wish he'd stayed to be honest, he was showing great improvement and would've fit well as LB option and as LWB when we use that. Rojo reminds me alot of him. Not shedding any tears over it though obviously, luckily Young has been able to and done well to cover for Shaw when he's been out.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Yeah, I'm not sure about that either. Smalling can have great games but mistakes like the one against Burnley for Ings goal aren't that uncommon for him and he often looks nervy when he plays. No need to pit them againt each other yet though as Smalling along with Rojo is not only our two individually best CBs atm but also a very good partnership, and they are both still young and able to improve.

On Buttner, I wish he'd stayed to be honest, he was showing great improvement and would've fit well as LB option and as LWB when we use that. Rojo reminds me alot of him. Not shedding any tears over it though obviously, luckily Young has been able to and done well to cover for Shaw when he's been out.
Buttner was showing great improvement and Rojo reminds you of him?? Buttner was exposed regularly as naive positionally and I don't think many mourned his departure. Rojo has been commendably solid in a desperately unsettled defensive landscape this year without looking commanding enough to suggest he's a long-term solution to our problems in there. I agree himself and Smalling look our best bet.

JohnnyLaw

He's not much better than Smalling and Jones. If anything he's at their level. Once the new boy shine wears off people will notice how error prone he is. He's made some mistakes that none of our other CBs would get away with on this forum.
I also think he's treated with more patience due to all the acclimatizing he's going through. Jones and Smalling are english and have been here for 3-4 years with another couple of years of PL experience before that so they won't be excused as much..

JohnnyLaw

Buttner was showing great improvement and Rojo reminds you of him?? Buttner was exposed regularly as naive positionally and I don't think many mourned his departure. Rojo has been commendably solid in a desperately unsettled defensive landscape this year without looking commanding enough to suggest he's a long-term solution to our problems in there. I agree himself and Smalling look our best bet.
Not in playstyle, but as being seemingly really nice, humble guys who couldn't be happier playing for any other club than United and who're always ready to give 110% for the team. I know he wasn't mourned and that I'm part of an extremely small portion of fans who Think so, but I think he could've had a future here as a squad player. As I said though I didn't lose any sleep over it and I think that it was his own decision to leave anyway.

I agree that Rojo will have to improve if he is to keep his position long term but I'm hoping that he'll be able to develop with time as Vidic and Evra did as I really like him and I think that he might have some leadership qualities aswell.