View full 2014-15 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Sam

I'm still not convinced, one minute he looks great, then the next he's all over the shop. I can see him being a great squad player for us over the next few years, rather then a genuine first XI player.

He's very rash, but in a completely different way to Jones.

prateik

Did we get him for just 9m euros? + nani on loan.. but still 9m is a pretty good price .

prateik

It was £16m + Nani on loan for free (£5m worth of wages). And then £100bn per week in wages.
What is the tweet in the first post then?

edit: nevermind. Just scrolled down
Pursuant to the fulfillment of obligation which arises from the provisions of Article 248, no1 al. a) of the Securities Code, A SPORTING CLUB DE PORTUGAL, SOCCER, tells SAD to reach agreement with Manchester United Football Club Limited for the acquisition outright of sports rights and 100% of the economic rights of the player Marcos Rojo for the total amount € 20,000,000.00 (twenty million euros), payable in three installments: € 10,000,000.00 paid immediately and two installments of € 5,000,000.00 each, paid on 1 December 2014 and July 1, 2015.

goin4glory

I'm still not convinced, one minute he looks great, then the next he's all over the shop. I can see him being a great squad player for us over the next few years, rather then a genuine first XI player.

He's very rash, but in a completely different way to Jones.
You must be watching a different CB than I am. Rojo has been excellent since he arrived all things considered and I think he'll be our best CB by a distance in the next few years.

Mali_Zeus

People keep repeating he's rash despite the fact he hasnt been rash for a while. But same old 'not convinced, he's rash' posts.
He's been very good for a while now and that's the only truth.

Eugenius

You must be watching a different CB than I am. Rojo has been excellent since he arrived all things considered and I think he'll be our best CB by a distance in the next few years.
People keep repeating he's rash despite the fact he hasnt been rash for a while. But same old 'not convinced, he's rash' posts.
His last two games of note were yesterday and arsenal (correct me if I'm wrong). Yesterday, he lost Benteke for his goal but was generally OK. In the other game, he should've have given away a penalty for pulling back Welbeck and also made a borderline red card tackle coming through the back of a player.

I can't see how he's been excellent where especially in big games, he's made big mistakes which he's gotten away with.

Mali_Zeus

His last two games of note were yesterday and arsenal (correct me if I'm wrong). Yesterday, he lost Benteke for his goal but was generally OK. In the other game, he should've have given away a penalty for pulling back Welbeck and also made a borderline red card tackle coming through the back of a player.

I can't see how he's been excellent where especially in big games, he's made big mistakes which he's gotten away with.
Dont remember those.
Didnt say he has been excellent, he has been very good.

You mentioned one big game and then said he made big mistakes in big games.

Eugenius

Dont remember those.
Didnt say he has been excellent, he has been very good.

You mentioned one big game and then said he made big mistakes in big games.

@ 3.30 for the penalty incident. It doesn't show the replay where you can see Rojo has hold of his collar. It's his positional mistakes in the first place and could easily have given away a penalty. He also got a yellow card, where he absolutely scythed down Santi from behind on the edge of their area. Can't find the video but anyone who remembers will call it a very rash tackle. Sort of an orange card.

@ 2.05. Here's Rojo getting away with a stone wall penalty and red card vs City. Very similar mistake of losing his man with the ball over the top.

Made this mistake against Chelsea too, which Smalling bailed him out with.

These are the ones which stick in my mind, and that I'm thinking of

Mali_Zeus

@ 3.30 for the penalty incident. It doesn't show the replay where you can see Rojo has hold of his collar. It's his positional mistakes in the first place and could easily have given away a penalty. He also got a yellow card, where he absolutely scythed down Santi from behind on the edge of their area. Can't find the video but anyone who remembers will call it a very rash tackle. Sort of an orange card.

@ 2.05. Here's Rojo getting away with a stone wall penalty and red card vs City. Very similar mistake of losing his man with the ball over the top.

Made this mistake against Chelsea too, which Smalling bailed him out with.

These are the ones which stick in my mind, and that I'm thinking of
Cant see anything from that Arsenal replay.

Chelsea game, ok he made a mistake.

As for City, it was still early days and you could argue he was on the ball first.

goin4glory

The ball should have never arrived at Benteke but I agree he should be closer. Vs Arsenal it was never a penalty on Welbeck who went down far too easy and it's never a red on Santi.

As for the goal vs City that's when United where down to 10 men thanks to Smalling. You could make a much longer list of mistakes this season made by Smalling/Jones than Rojo. It's not only Rojo's job to be tracking midfield runners especially when a man short.

As I said in my post all things considered he's been excellent. New team/country/language been forced to play in a variety of positions with a number of different partners. He's quick/strong/good on the ball/ in the air and very good in the physical battles he has to face week in week out. I can see us being the best defensive side in the premier league next season.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
You actually read it? :lol: I read the title and closed the link.
I did indeed :nervous: I kept reading in the hope there might be something slightly interesting anywhere in that piece, but I should have known better ...

Eugenius

The ball should have never arrived at Benteke but I agree he should be closer. Vs Arsenal it was never a penalty on Welbeck who went down far too easy and it's never a red on Santi.

As for the goal vs City that's when United where down to 10 men thanks to Smalling. You could make a much longer list of mistakes this season made by Smalling/Jones than Rojo. It's not only Rojo's job to be tracking midfield runners especially when a man short.

As I said in my post all things considered he's been excellent. New team/country/language been forced to play in a variety of positions with a number of different partners. He's quick/strong/good on the ball/ in the air and very good in the physical battles he has to face week in week out. I can see us being the best defensive side in the premier league next season.
The Welbeck one we'd be livid if wasn't given for us. Very similar to the Rooney one yesterday. But he did struggle against Welbeck running in behind him, a couple of times he lost him on the spin, and it was purely luck there.

I'm not saying Smalling hasn't made any mistakes too, but I would say people turn a blind eye to what Rojo does. He was all at sea in that City game - if you remember how he injured himself too, it was leaving his man to run out wildly and miss a slide tackle. We looked better with Carrick and McNair in there, although McNair did make a mistake on the goal. In any case, Smalling has comfortably been better than Rojo this season (IMO, and that extends to our other CBs not a knock on Rojo)

I still struggle to understand how you can say he's been excellent though. Strong? I think he's a bit lightweight and not very dominant. Doesn't win stuff in the air with any authority. He got muscled around by Benteke yesterday (him and Jones). Kevin Davies also caused him problems with his strength. He's been OK on the ball. Very rash when he goes to ground and doesn't have much composure (which may be language barrier related when it comes to shouts from the rest of the team in his defence).

There are lots of mitigating circumstances, clearly our defence isn't easy to play in with the chopping and changing, but I haven't seen anything special in him. Let's not forget he was second choice to Vermaelen coming in too. I'm not convinced LvG bought him to be first choice in a back four. Maybe a LCB who could cover LB/LWB in the 352, but a back four is different.

goin4glory

The Welbeck one we'd be livid if wasn't given for us. Very similar to the Rooney one yesterday. But he did struggle against Welbeck running in behind him, a couple of times he lost him on the spin, and it was purely luck there.

I'm not saying Smalling hasn't made any mistakes too, but I would say people turn a blind eye to what Rojo does. He was all at sea in that City game - if you remember how he injured himself too, it was leaving his man to run out wildly and miss a slide tackle. We looked better with Carrick and McNair in there, although McNair did make a mistake on the goal. In any case, Smalling has comfortably been better than Rojo this season (IMO, and that extends to our other CBs not a knock on Rojo)

I still struggle to understand how you can say he's been excellent though. Strong? I think he's a bit lightweight and not very dominant. Doesn't win stuff in the air with any authority. He got muscled around by Benteke yesterday (him and Jones). Kevin Davies also caused him problems with his strength. He's been OK on the ball. Very rash when he goes to ground and doesn't have much composure (which may be language barrier related when it comes to shouts from the rest of the team in his defence).

There are lots of mitigating circumstances, clearly our defence isn't easy to play in with the chopping and changing, but I haven't seen anything special in him. Let's not forget he was second choice to Vermaelen coming in too. I'm not convinced LvG bought him to be first choice in a back four. Maybe a LCB who could cover LB/LWB in the 352, but a back four is different.
Rojo is incredibly aggressive for a CB and I have yet to ever see him be pushed about by anyone. His passing accuracy is excellent and he's very capable of bringing the ball forward into midfield as we saw yesterday with his attempt on goal. You call him rash but to be honest all the of the best ball playing CB's in the world get called that from time to time, Ramos/Pique/Koscielny etc all have plenty of red cards to their name and have given away plenty of penalties, it's the nature of the role. If you want a front foot defender it's part of the deal, I'd rather have him than an 18 yard box CB like Terry/Cahill who can only ever make blocks and clearances. Aggression is a great quality in a CB and his qualities are exactly what we need to build on and become an elite team in europe again.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Rojo is incredibly aggressive for a CB and I have yet to ever see him be pushed about by anyone. His passing accuracy is excellent and he's very capable of bringing the ball forward into midfield as we saw yesterday with his attempt on goal. You call him rash but to be honest all the of the best ball playing CB's in the world get called that from time to time, Ramos/Pique/Koscielny etc all have plenty of red cards to their name and have given away plenty of penalties, it's the nature of the role. If you want a front foot defender it's part of the deal, I'd rather have him than an 18 yard box CB like Terry/Cahill who can only ever make blocks and clearances. Aggression is a great quality in a CB and his qualities are exactly what we need to build on and become an elite team in europe again.
Very well put, and i agree

The trade off for having an aggressive ball winning CB is that they do make costly mistakes at times and they do take chances that can be perceived as "rash". That being said, i think Jones and Smalling have been very good of late and i don't think none of them are nailed to a CB pot just yet

m1y2

I like his ability on the ball and his shooting/passing but he needs to be more solid as defender first, we don't need David Luiz. I often don't know what to think about him as he always has a good game and then makes one or two mistakes, he's like Jones little bit of rashness and insecurity is there but hopefully he can cut it out from his game.

Considering it's his first season I think he's been decent for a newcomer and he also looks like he likes it at United and fights for the badge which is always a good sign

red_7

What a shot from him yesterday!

Looking forward to his second season, hopefully besides Hummels!

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Exactly. People talking about his rashness make it seem like he's Ginter or David Luiz. He's been more composed than many make him out to be, but of course, we cannot deny that he still has some aggression in his game. Just look at the foul he conceded against Weimann that led to the Okore header in the second half. He still has his moments where he pushes up at a ball holder and loses them somewhat easily, but in general, he's been a much more composed defender than he ever was. van Gaal has definitely helped Rojo read the game better and make up for his physical limitations (he's still weak in the air and struggles against big, strong players).

Well said. I will also add on that aggression in itself is a very risky, and often dangerous, quality in a central defender. However, if a central defender can control that aggression, that defender can be very tough to play against. Very few defenders have reached that level nowadays, though, and it will be difficult for Rojo to reach that level. However, I'm sure that, under van Gaal, he can at least come close enough to that level that the likes of Boateng, Thiago Silva, and Hummels (before he got worse) as he's shown some good defensive nous during his Sporting days.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Interesting bit of man management that LvG brought him on, you rarely see a defender switch just to give minutes to a player.
Yeah a bit pointless for me as well. I can see why Fellaini and Mata were taken off - to let the crowd show their appreciation but we could have done with that extra sub!

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Do we also discuss his performances with female fitness instructors in here?

Dante

Average bang
Rooney might not have been involved much, but his movement kept them occupied and his 35 touches were all important to the overall performance.

VanGaalEra

Rooney might not have been involved much, but his movement kept her occupied and his 35 touches were all important to the overall performance.
The fitness instructor? Rooney's movement helped Rojo's performance.

Excellent, what a captain and a man!

Water Melon

What a joy to watch. Full credit to LvG, coaches, captain Wayne as well as each and every player for making us a fantastic and truly United team. One of the few things that no money can buy. Awesome!