5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't get why people do not think he's good. He's been good overtime he's played at left back for us.
Its his style. Despite never having made any glaring mistakes, he is a bit manic and some think that means hes no good. Im not sure hes a long term starter but hes not an Evans style liability like some think. He just needs to pick his passes a little better at times and know when to stay on his feet when he goes flying in.

Hes part of the reason LVG didnt really chase a CB over the summer. Between Smalling, Blind, Jones and Rojo we have four very good options.

Ryan7

I don't get why people do not think he's good. He's been good overtime he's played at left back for us.
I disagree. I've actually not been a fan of him being at left back. He was particularly awful at Leicester last season. I'm not just singling him out there, but he was awful going forward and back. If I recall correctly he gave the ball away a lot. I'm sure there were other games where he didn't impress there either (wish there was a site showing what position players played in in particular matches then I'd know for sure).

I do remember he was very good against Arsenal at home in the league at left back towards the back end of last season. Excellent cross yesterday of course as well.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's inconsistent at left back, doesn't seem to matter what type of winger he's up against, but he can look class one day and shite the next day out there against the same type of player. But he's a good player for sure. He won't ever be an automatic starter, but he's a very good squad player to have I think, as he is a good center back and a decent left back and will always give his all. I hope the stories about us looking to sell aren't true because you won't find many players who are willing to be squad players who can play as well as he can at both left back and center back, and is still pretty young.

Saying that, I don't think we've seen him at his best yet, as he's had some pretty bad luck with injuries while he's been at United and has struggled to have a long run where he is free of injuries.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Rojo getting praise from LvG and Wayne Rooney:

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal says Marcos Rojo has the potential to be a “very good player” for the club.

Van Gaal and Rojo have not always enjoyed the best of relationships at Old Trafford, with the Argentina defender missing the Red Devils’ pre-season tour of the United States after failing to renew his passport before angering his manager again for not warning the United medical staff about an injury.

It had sparked suggestions that United could sell Rojo in January, with Bruno Martins Indi linked as a replacement,

However, at his pre-match press conference ahead of United’s Champions League tie against CSKA Moscow, Van Gaal bristled at suggestions Rojo, who used to play for Spartak Moscow, is not realising his potential at the club.

“I didn’t know that he played for Spartak but I have seen him in the World Cup in Brazil and he did it very well and he played also for Sporting Lisbon. There I have analysed him,”Van Gaal said of the Argentinian, who signed for United from Sporting Lisbon for £16million last summer.

“What I like is that he is physically a very strong guy, a good header and his pass is fast.

“That we need, always. There is the potential in him to be a very good player for Manchester United.”

Wayne Rooney, meanwhile, said he’s expecting Rojo to play a key role this season, especially after Luke Shaw’s injury.

He added: “He is a fantastic player and a fantastic team-mate. He is a player who is very tough to get around. For him to be from Argentina and play in the Premier League is not easy but he has done a great job.

“He will be a very important player for us for the rest of the season.”

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Rojo getting praise from LvG and Wayne Rooney:
You are missing a little out of the story, the Russian press actually took the piss saying to Rooney "How many times do you go passed him in training, as everybody else in Russia seemed too". And they quite openly asked what LVG saw in him, as he was pretty rubbish in Russia. Quite insulting really, I hope Rojo personally smashes 1 in the top corner tonight.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
You are missing a little out of the story, the Russian press actually took the piss saying to Rooney "How many times do you go passed him in training, as everybody else in Russia seemed too". And they quite openly asked what LVG saw in him, as he was pretty rubbish in Russia. Quite insulting really, I hope Rojo personally smashes 1 in the top corner tonight.
Yep, I definitely didn't know that :lol:

I guess they were forced to defend him. I thought it may have just been praise and encouragement based on his decent performance on Saturday.

Adam-Utd

Yep, I definitely didn't know that :lol:

I guess they were forced to defend him. I thought it may have just been praise and encouragement based on his decent performance on Saturday.
Yeah, rarely do we talk about individuals but we had to defend him there, they were slaughtering him. No doubt he probably had a poor time in Russia but I imagine he just didn't play his best as it's a rubbish league. If he continues his Everton form he will make them eat their words.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Quashes the rumour that he's going to be sold in January. Something I thought was madness.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The Russian journalists seemed to be having a real go at him. I'd expect LVG and Rooney to defend him, even if they don't actually think he's good enough.

LR7

Seems unnecessarily mean. I just had a quick look and he only made 8 appearances for Spartak when he was 21.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Clear communication issues with Martial causing a disconnect between the 2. Didn't seem keen to overlap though tonight. Didn't do huge amounts wrong but didn't offer what he could/should have or what is expected at this level when chasing a game.

m1y2

he had a great game against Eerton but he never looked good enough going forward for us tonight and never before. I would actually consider taking someone like coentrao on loan in winter. Now we actually miss Evra

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I've just remembered that attempted 'header' where it landed on his hand. What actually was that?

caid

Worst game by a distance for us, never been convinced by him as a full back.

Baxter

He wasn't awful, even though that attempted header was dire. :lol:

He needed to get up the line and push the full back deep and link up with Martial more, like he did against Everton but for some reason didn't. Definitely seems more tactical to me, but he wasn't garbage or whatever will no doubt be posted.

Kopral Jono

I like Rojo but tonight, out there, he looked... confused. It seems like many times he was caught in two minds.

Kakeru

I guess the clothing company named "Bench" can start using him as their representative because that's where he's going for a while.

Jeez, he was totally horrible tonight. How in the world can this guy keep his LB spot with Argentina and yet provide nothing to support his winger on the attack?

Ryan7

Shitting his pants at the sheer thought of supporting Martial was just pathetic.

surf

He's not got enough up top to be a van Gaal type player, too reliant on old fashioned blood and thunder. Blind and Jones are better options in his preferred positions. Great cross against Everton, though, for Herrera's goal.

PlayerOne

Too soon to judge, and I reckon he will better as a CB, but he looks like an average player.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
I have a feeling this was the case.
Same here, especially when you consider we had a winger as the other fullback. Having both fullbacks bombing on in a tough away match would be suicidal.

I think people are far too harsh on our defenders on here, and Rojo in particular. I didn't think he was great tonight but he certainly wasn't terrible like some are making out.

pascell

Thought he was very disappointing tonight, hope van Gaal drops him and plays Blind at LB this weekend.
Yes he was poor tonight but do you really want our back four changed again, in such a big match? Putting Blind against Navas/Sterling/Nasri would be bonkers, considering how Arsenals pace tore us a new one. I'd give Rojo the City game to pull it back round, he'll be fired up for it.

I don't fault Rojo much for not overlapping, we were 1-0 down away from home and they had some pacey players, that looked threatening on the counter.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
Yes he was poor tonight but do you really want our back four changed again, in such a big match? Putting Blind against Navas/Sterling/Nasri would be bonkers, considering how Arsenals pace tore us a new one. I'd give Rojo the City game to pull it back round, he'll be fired up for it.

I don't fault Rojo much for not overlapping, we were 1-0 down away from home and they had some pacey players, that looked threatening on the counter.
Arsenal's quicker players were allowed far too much space in which to operate because van Gaal decided it would be a good idea to have two sitting midfielders with barely any pace between them press high as they tried to play it out from the back. It was in my opinion the worse tactical display by LvG since he took over, surely we'll play our Scheneiderlin/Schweinsteiger/Herrera trio so that won't happen again.

As for Blind, he played well there in the game against them last season at home. I think it was Navas he was up against on that occasion who is quick, though to be fair we set up with Young on the left wing who will track back and cover. In contrast, Memphis was abysmal at helping out the full back in the game at the Emirates. I've just never been particularly happy with Rojo in that left back spot it has to be said, but I can see why you're arguing that he should start.

Status
Not open for further replies.