Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

m1y2

I actually made him my MOTM as he was pretty decent, totally trying to do something like he sniffed something before... didnt look out of the place

Jaybomb

Start him at CB in the next game.

I always said he was better than Smalling and I don't care what anyone here says... I never seen Rojo have a performance as bad as the one Smalling had on Sunday. He was everything people say Rojo is. But because he's English and a "fan favourite" (for whatever reason), it'll get brushed under the carpet.

Fully expect the "World Class" Chris Smalling to start in the next game though.... Ridiculous....

jem

I always said he was better than Smalling and I don't care what anyone here says... I never seen Rojo have a performance as bad as the one Smalling had on Sunday. He was everything people say Rojo is. But because he's English and a "fan favourite" (for whatever reason), it'll get brushed under the carpet.

Fully expect the "World Class" Chris Smalling to start in the next game though.... Ridiculous....
Smalling had a howler, no doubt about it, but Rojo is consistently bad - Smalling at least has his share of good games.

jem

I found it richly ironic that a player I decided ages ago wasn't good enough and was stealing a living at the club was arguably the only player in a United shirt to put in an acceptable performance (and actually play like he cared) in our most humiliating defeat of the season so far. Further evidence that the gods are laughing at us.
One thing I will concede with regards to Rojo, is that he does seem to play with passion. If only he had any semblance of talent.

Jaybomb

Smalling had a howler, no doubt about it, but Rojo is consistently bad - Smalling at least has his share of good games.
Rojo isn't consistently bad at all. Played out of position at LB in the few minutes he does get. I'd have him over Smalling any day. Any big team would.

I honestly can't think of anything Smalling has over him. Height? Maybe. Rojo is a goal threat aswell though. And as you saw on Sunday, he has a thunderbastard of a long shot on him.

Jaybomb

One thing I will concede with regards to Rojo, is that he does seem to play with passion. If only he had any semblance of talent.
I want to see a Bailly-Rojo partnership. But Smalling and the Blind as a CB "experiment" is ruining all that.

Hostekule

Rojo isn't consistently bad at all. Played out of position at LB in the few minutes he does get. I'd have him over Smalling any day. Any big team would.

I honestly can't think of anything Smalling has over him. Height? Maybe. Rojo is a goal threat aswell though. And as you saw on Sunday, he has a thunderbastard of a long shot on him.
Strength, concentration, positioning.

Morpheus 7

Smalling was poor against Chelsea, no denying that. Marcos Rojo is a joke of a footballer. He gives me more nightmares than a potential nuclear war between the US and Russia. He's a car crash, an accident waiting to happen. Seeing him in the pre season games reminded me of how poor he is. Just because he had a good shot against Chelsea doesn't mean we should be optimistic. His concentration, passing and positionally sense are awful. I worry when I see him come on, he's not a united player he's a fraud.

Jaybomb

Strength, concentration, positioning.
Where was his concentration on sunday? He cost us 3 goals! Rojo is a physical defender aswell. He's certainly not lacking in strength.

It's almost like everyone's decided Rojo is a liability purely because he can go forward and take long shots and stuff like that. If Rojo is a liability/fraud, then what is John Stones? Every time I watch him, he costs his team a goal. Yet everyone raves on about him. I don't think I've ever seen Rojo cost us a goal, off the top of my head. I've seen Smalling do it plenty though.

MounchesterUtd

Where was his concentration on sunday? He cost us 3 goals! Rojo is a physical defender aswell. He's certainly not lacking in strength.

It's almost like everyone's decided Rojo is a liability purely because he can go forward and take long shots and stuff like that. If Rojo is a liability/fraud, then what is John Stones? Every time I watch him, he costs his team a goal. Yet everyone raves on about him. I don't think I've ever seen Rojo cost us a goal, off the top of my head. I've seen Smalling do it plenty though.
Something about stupid hair, Argentinians not being 'in love' with the club and using United for the wages blah blah

He's nothing special but he's certainly been the scapegoat on the Caf for the same reasons that people rave about Smalling. Rojo has a mean cross on him as well.

Something about stupid hair, Argentinians not being 'in love' with the club and using United for the wages blah blah

He's nothing special but he's certainly been the scapegoat on the Caf for the same reasons that people rave about Smalling. Rojo has a mean cross on him as well.
He's fine as a squad player. His positioning isn't great but no worse than Shaw at LB and he's much better when he plays at CB, and hes better on the ball than Smalling. His problem is he seems like he's playing on the ragged edge all the time. It's good because he doesn't retreat into his shell when we're not playing well like some others do, but bad because he sometimes overcommits and gets skinned.

If he's happy to be on the bench I'm happy for him to stay.

kundalini

Rojo as a central defender has generally been ok. He made a poor error giving away a late pen against Watford last season. And there was a game in his first season in which he was shocking but the vast majority of his horror shows have come at left-back for us.

I used to be a big Smalling fan but after a super 2015, he's had a terrible 2016. Rojo may not be able to match peak Smalling but there's a chance he could be an improvement on Smalling 2016.

I'm really not that bothered whether we sell Rojo, retain him as a squad player or give him a run of games as a starting central defender. Despite his left-back role for Argentina, his performances in that position for us haven't been acceptable; every so often he'll shine but too often he's been woeful.

Last edited:

MounchesterUtd

He's fine as a squad player. His positioning isn't great but no worse than Shaw at LB and he's much better when he plays at CB, and hes better on the ball than Smalling. His problem is he seems like he's playing on the ragged edge all the time. It's good because he doesn't retreat into his shell when we're not playing well like some others do, but bad because he sometimes overcommits and gets skinned.

If he's happy to be on the bench I'm happy for him to stay.
I agree with this. If he can sort out where that rashness is coming from and uses it in a positive manner, he can lock up the 3rd CB spot and accumulate at least 10-12 starts per year. Definitely think the gap between Smalling and him isn't as huge as some here make it out to be, and that Marcos can exceed him still. He has the tools for it.

khoazany

Rojo as a central defender has generally been ok. He made a poor error giving away a late pen against Watford last season. And there was a game in his first season in which he was shocking but the vast majority of his horror shows have come at left-back for us.

I used to be a big Smalling fan but after a super 2015, he's had a terrible 2016. Rojo may not be able to match peak Smalling but there's a chance he could be an improvement on Smalling 2016.

I'm really not that bothered whether we sell Rojo, retain him as a squad player or give him a run of games as a starting central defender. Despite his left-back role for Argentina, his performances in that position for us haven't been acceptable; every so often he'll shine but too often he's been woeful.
He's ok on Van Gaal system as a CB. I don't think he would do better than any of our other CB options under Jose.

Typical caf's hyping the players who didn't play again on this thread. When Schneiderlin,Memphis,Rojo,... finally get to start a serious game people will realize why they didn't make the team all this time.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He's ok on Van Gaal system as a CB. I don't think he would do better than any of our other CB options under Jose.

Typical caf's hyping the players who didn't play again on this thread. When Schneiderlin,Memphis,Rojo,... finally get to start a serious game people will realize why they didn't make the team all this time.
You can add Schweinsteiger to that list.

As opposed to some of the regulars making us wonder how they make the team?

Players like Rashford show you can't always judge a player on training performances. Rojo has shown he's a useful squad player and Mourinho seems to agree.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
As opposed to some of the regulars making us wonder how they make the team?

Players like Rashford show you can't always judge a player on training performances. Rojo has shown he's a useful squad player and Mourinho seems to agree.
What does that even mean? Who on here is judging players based on training performances?!

What does that even mean? Who on here is judging players based on training performances?!
Rashford never particularly stood out in the youth teams and only really got his break because we ran out of strikers.

Some of our players clearly are not impressing during training but that doesn't mean they won't be good in a match. Mhikitaryan being the obvious candidate. The quoted players aren't playing because of how they do in training. Some, not all, may be a lot better after a run of games

Gopher Brown

Do you realise you are the only person on here who rates Rojo? You are always asserting how good he is without any evidence whatsoever. Are you his agent?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Rashford never particularly stood out in the youth teams and only really got his break because we ran out of strikers.

Some of our players clearly are not impressing during training but that doesn't mean they won't be good in a match. Mhikitaryan being the obvious candidate. The quoted players aren't playing because of how they do in training. Some, not all, may be a lot better after a run of games
Eh? They've all been generally crap in matches too. Especially Rojo.

Litch

I'm not gonna say he's decent or not because like lots of players on here haven't had a run of games. There are others that despite how they play, still start. Honestly I don't think you play for Argentina and in world cups but like so many of our recent signings, they arrive here quite decent, and turned to crap. Whilst I accept it's a lottery signing players but they have basically all arrive at the same place. Something is very wrong at this club....

Eh? They've all been generally crap in matches too. Especially Rojo.
No-one is saying it's the case for everyone. Rojo does enough to be worthy of a squad place. Nothing more but he's not the liability some think.

Schneiderlin for another example, 30 league games for us but only 6 losses. He's obviously doing something right but can't get a look in.

Moonred

Rojo's performances are basically the same. He is better when others are shit like Sunday. Definitely not a player that you can trust to do anything of substance for a team trying to remain top of the table. Does a bit of this and that and will occasionally do something good to his own surprise.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

That's madness, Smalling was dreadful Sunday but Rojo is dreadful on a regular basis, makes a lot of basic mistakes and doesn't contribute much positive for the team.

redpatron

It's time to give Rojo a shot, especially when Pedro of all people is running circles around Blind. The one thing maybe only thing Rojo did really well was play with Martial on that left side. i don't think either blind or shaw have linked up with him well and have been hurting him. At least Rojo knows he had to cover the left side and be there to 1-2 to Martial when he wanted to run into the box and give him space.

It's time to give Rojo a shot, especially when Pedro of all people is running circles around Blind. The one thing maybe only thing Rojo did really well was play with Martial on that left side. i don't think either blind or shaw have linked up with him well and have been hurting him. At least Rojo knows he had to cover the left side and be there to 1-2 to Martial when he wanted to run into the box and give him space.
LVG had a point with his LCB/LB need to be left footed, or at very least comfortable on their left foot. Smalling has looked so awkward since he's played on that side. Blind and Rojo both address that problem.

Blinds pace and Rojos positioning would not be a good mix on the left though, no matter how they link up with Martial. Shaw should make LB his own and Rojo can challenge Blind for the LCB spot until we can find someone better.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I never ever want to see Rojo playing at LB. He is god damn awful. Shaw is much better than him, it's frustrating to not see him start.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
No-one is saying it's the case for everyone. Rojo does enough to be worthy of a squad place. Nothing more but he's not the liability some think.

Schneiderlin for another example, 30 league games for us but only 6 losses. He's obviously doing something right but can't get a look in.
Rojo has looked very much a liability to me, in almost every game he plays.

Schneiderlin, not so much, but his performances have still been very disappointing.

Just seems strange that you think these players are being dropped for performances in training when their performances in matches have so often been noticeably poor.

Rojo has looked very much a liability to me, in almost every game he plays.

Schneiderlin, not so much, but his performances have still been very disappointing.

Just seems strange that you think these players are being dropped for performances in training when their performances in matches have so often been noticeably poor.
No, what I'm saying is that some players will look poor in training but with a few matches in their preferred position will become good. I think Schneiderlin is one of them. He is obviously better than his training performances suggest because we win more games with him in the team.

Rojo isnt starting quality for me but if he can learn to be a bit calmer he will be a solid backup player.

Jaybomb

Do you realise you are the only person on here who rates Rojo? You are always asserting how good he is without any evidence whatsoever. Are you his agent?
Watched him and supported him for his Sporting days and for Argentina. I even signed him back in FM 2013, a year before he joined us. He is a quality player who hasn't been given nearly enough chances at CB to show what he can do.

JoaquinJoaquin

Another of Van Gaal's amazing transfer insights.

And to think some "experts" on Portugese football thought he was good :lol:
To be fair, the judgments were made on the basis of him being a CB which he was mainly at Sporting. He has played mainly at LB for us.

MounchesterUtd

Has always been good against City. If he starts at CB, it's put up or shut up time. C'mon, Marcos!

Manny

Grammar Police
Yep, aside from the resorting to the long ball, he has been good in the first half.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Probably his best game to date. Quality passing between the lines today, did much better than Blind which was a pleasant surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.