Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I wonder how long it will take before people start to realise that he's our best CB? I've been saying it for years. He's got all the attributes to be a Sergio Ramos type for us. We've been crying out for one of those aggressive mad men in the defence. Rojo is perfect for Jose and I'm glad he's been given the chance.

I will say this though... there will come a time where he probably gives away a penalty or scores a rash own goal and I bet the entire fanbase will turn on him like they did with Fellaini. It happens to the best of defenders but Rojo won't be forgiven for it like Smalling was for the Chelsea performance and messing up De Gea's golden glove last season... It's all favourtism with us. Some fans still won't give him the credit he deserves so I'm just waiting for them to pounce on him when he gets caught out some day. No doubt it will be a massive overreaction and there will be calls to bring back the brainless Smalling.
He has been immense of late and i'm really glad for him, but he has been really, really poor in the past.

Every internet forum is bound to get a little like a hivemind and some players does get unfair abuse hurled at them, but in his as Fellainis case, that abuse has originated from somewhere. Hopefully, this is a turning point for him, but i won't say hes out of the woods just yet, as you might recall, he should have been sent of vs Everton.

flappyjay

Cause the same people who were saying Rojo was dreadful were also big fans of Smalling who has been much worse for us than Rojo has.

Rojo wasn't brilliant at LB but I can think of way more times when Smalling fecked up. And yet some people were saying he is captain material and the best CB in the Premier League? :houllier: I'll admit, he put in some solid performances last season but thats where it ends.

Anyway, this is about Rojo. So I won't turn this into a big debate about Smalling. Still, my views on the matter are relevant. Fellaini and Rojo can't win with some fans, but the likes of Smalling, Shaw, etc always seem to get a free ride for some reason.
Rojo showed how good he was at cb back in his first season when partnered Smalling, missing last season's pre season fecked his chance to play at cb as there was a vacancy there.

As to Smalling being favoured that's not so true, everyone is always waiting for his mistakes for a I "told you so". He got abuse for the Man city red card so much that some on here were calling for him to be sold. Let's not forget the backslash he got for the Chelsea game and since then he is considered to be only better than Blind among our cb's. Your last match determines how good you are for the least favoured players on redcafe. Fellaini, Jones, Rojo, Lingard, Smalling, Valencia(it has stopped so far this season) and Blind I could be forgetting someone else...then you have darlings like Herrera and Bailly

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He has been immense of late and i'm really glad for him, but he has been really, really poor in the past.

Every internet forum is bound to get a little like a hivemind and some players does get unfair abuse hurled at them, but in his as Fellainis case, that abuse has originated from somewhere. Hopefully, this is a turning point for him, but i won't say hes out of the woods just yet, as you might recall, he should have been sent of vs Everton.
Neither Darmian or Rojo have ever really looked great fullbacks. We would be better with Valencia (especially this season) and Rafael who we gave away stupidly. We should have put him on a pay as you play. He never needed games to get his sharpness back. It was stupid by United. Jones has done something similar. Lots of people wanted him gone. Both are young and both are United players.

But Rojo was shite at full back offering next to nothing going forward. He's not great on the ball and you have to be so people were harsh to judge him when he played FB.

Loublaze

ATLien
Rojo showed how good he was at cb back in his first season when partnered Smalling, missing last season's pre season fecked his chance to play at cb as there was a vacancy there.

As to Smalling being favoured that's not so true, everyone is always waiting for his mistakes for a I "told you so". He got abuse for the Man city red card so much that some on here were calling for him to be sold. Let's not forget the backslash he got for the Chelsea game and since then he is considered to be only better than Blind among our cb's. Your last match determines how good you are for the least favoured players on redcafe. Fellaini, Jones, Rojo, Lingard, Smalling, Valencia(it has stopped so far this season) and Blind I could be forgetting someone else...then you have darlings like Herrera and Bailly
Spot on

devips

Absolutely. You will notice that these Redcafe 'least favoured players' are those who love to play for the club, and give their all when playing. They don't sulk when on the bench, and generally don't manipulate for payrise or more lucrative transfers. (Valencia in fact dismissed his agent a couple of years back when his contract was renewed). But they lack one thing -glamour. They are Fergie's kind of players, but more and more caftards have 'City' mentality these days, which is unfortunate.

JoaquinJoaquin

Absolutely. You will notice that these Redcafe 'least favoured players' are those who love to play for the club, and give their all when playing. They don't sulk when on the bench, and generally don't manipulate for payrise or more lucrative transfers. (Valencia in fact dismissed his agent a couple of years back when his contract was renewed). But they lack one thing -glamour. They are Fergie's kind of players, but more and more caftards have 'City' mentality these days, which is unfortunate.
Strange you say that, As wasn't it Lingard's advisors that said last week they are refusing to sign a deal until he gets more money?

The reason alot of those said players get stick is because their performances tend to be on the poorer side, Nothing 'agenda' related. Jones, Rojo and Valencia have been given plenty of praise lately when it has been due.

Robbie Boy

Strange you say that, As wasn't it Lingard's advisors that said last week they are refusing to sign a deal until he gets more money?

The reason alot of those said players get stick is because their performances tend to be on the poorer side, Nothing 'agenda' related. Jones, Rojo and Valencia have been given plenty of praise lately when it has been due.
Exactly. This place is far too obsessed with agendas and the likes. Pretty much every single one of our players gets some form of criticism in their respective 'Player Performance Threads' during the season. You would swear poor Lingard, Rojo, etc get some sort of unfair treatment. Also, how exactly is Rojo not a 'glamour' player whereas Bailly is? The post makes literally no sense.

You could go through any of the mentioned player performance threads and pick out praise and abuse (whichever suits your agenda). Surprisingly, players that are playing better than others will receive more praise and players out of form will receive more criticism. Shocking, I know.

devips

Would appear to be so, but isn't. A very vocal minority of Caf members ( their posts normally run in thousands, and tend to dominate player threads) pick out players to hate early on, based on that player's glamour quotient, and stick to that 'hatred' irrespective of that player's performances on the field. When that player plays well, they normally remain silent, or offer grudging praise (actual praise comes from non-agenda holding neutrals or that player's few supporters on the Caf), but crawl out of the woodwork and onto the forum pages the moment the player delivers a not-so-good performance. It's going on, but it's tiring for people like us who have to constantly filter out the malicious posts.

Robbie Boy

Would appear to be so, but isn't. A very vocal minority of Caf members ( their posts normally run in thousands, and tend to dominate player threads) pick out players to hate early on, based on that player's glamour quotient, and stick to that 'hatred' irrespective of that player's performances on the field. When that player plays well, they normally remain silent, or offer grudging praise (actual praise comes from non-agenda holding neutrals or that player's few supporters on the Caf), but crawl out of the woodwork and onto the forum pages the moment the player delivers a not-so-good performance. It's going on, but it's tiring for people like us who have to constantly filter out the malicious posts.
Funny. The top two posters in this thread are fans of Rojo (a player you claim is derided). Also, have a look back through the last 10 pages or so and he is getting a lot of praise from plenty who have admitted that they weren't big fans, but think he's been excellent lately. I think you're one of those posters that sees what they want to see, just to have a-bit of a moan about our fans. I mean, it is a diverse forum and, of course, there will be differing opinions, but surely that's expected?

If I wanted to make out there was some sort of anti-Rojo, anti-Lingard, anti-Valencia agendas on here, I could do that very easily by selecting the posts to suit my agenda. On the other hand, I could pick out positive posts from all of those threads if I wanted to prove a different agenda. You are completely overthinking this. The fact is; some players are better than others and will be praised more (it has nothing to do with Caf darlings or any other rubbish clichés) and other players will receive more criticisms due to form / not being good enough etc (not because of clichéd rubbish the posters criticising them are haters).

Maybe, just maybe, your favourite players happen to be ones that haven't been that good this season and have been criticised more than others. That would be the only explanation as to why you seem to have these rampant conspiracy theories about agendas etc.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The minute he has a sub par game or makes a mistake watch this place

devips

Funny. The top two posters in this thread are fans of Rojo (a player you claim is derided). Also, have a look back through the last 10 pages or so and he is getting a lot of praise from plenty who have admitted that they weren't big fans, but think he's been excellent lately. I think you're one of those posters that sees what they want to see, just to have a-bit of a moan about our fans. I mean, it is a diverse forum and, of course, there will be differing opinions, but surely that's expected?

If I wanted to make out there was some sort of anti-Rojo, anti-Lingard, anti-Valencia agendas on here, I could do that very easily by selecting the posts to suit my agenda. On the other hand, I could pick out positive posts from all of those threads if I wanted to prove a different agenda. You are completely overthinking this. The fact is; some players are better than others and will be praised more (it has nothing to do with Caf darlings or any other rubbish clichés) and other players will receive more criticisms due to form / not being good enough etc (not because of clichéd rubbish the posters criticising them are haters).

Maybe, just maybe, your favourite players happen to be ones that haven't been that good this season and have been criticised more than others. That would be the only explanation as to why you seem to have these rampant conspiracy theories about agendas etc.
Nah, it's not difficult to make a player-by-player list of Caf members with agenda. Mining last six months forum posts would give you that list. As I mentioned, they are in a minority, but boy, can they shout?

Robbie Boy

Nah, it's not difficult to make a player-by-player list of Caf members with agenda. Mining last six months forum posts would give you that list. As I mentioned, they are in a minority, but boy, can they shout?
Well if that's the case then it certainly works both ways. There's the pro and anti agenda posters, who are both just as tedious. You can look at it as an agenda or just differing perspectives. I have seen a-lot of posts in the past few weeks from posters who would have been in your mind, anti Jones / Rojo, lavishing praise on both of them.

devips

Well if that's the case then it certainly works both ways. There's the pro and anti agenda posters, who are both just as tedious. You can look at it as an agenda or just differing perspectives. I have seen a-lot of posts in the past few weeks from posters who would have been in your mind, anti Jones / Rojo, lavishing praise on both of them.
Yes, I have no problem with such posters. Praise when someone plays well, criticize when he is not. Problem arises when bias creeps in, and you refuse to see the positives/negatives of that particular player at all.

Robbie Boy

Yes, I have no problem with such posters. Praise when someone plays well, criticize when he is not. Problem arises when bias creeps in, and you refuse to see the positives/negatives of that particular player at all.
I agree with the bolded part.

R300k

T A
Rojo was really on fire versus Spurs. Not only many successful tackles but also the way he covered Darmian against big threat Sissoko. Also he usually pushed up and pressed very high nearing middle line.

Although it Rojo still has 2 weaknesses. First are some careless moments that he crosses the ball right into opponent's foots, which occasionally happened right after he got the ball from his own successfful interception. Second are some unnecessary dangerous tackles which costed him many unworthy cards.

Above all i think he is owning his old form from WC 2014, it would be great if he continuously maintains

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

'Jose Mourinho asks Marcos Rojo to turn down Chinese Super League riches with Woodward whispering sweet nothings in his other ear'

Despite him recently deciding it was time to actually show up I don't think he is good enough to be a mainstay. Apparently Oscar is off for £60m and he barely plays. Surely Rojo can get at least £50m based on current form

hobbers

I've always rated him as a centreback.

As a left back for LVG and for Mourinho he's been utter shite. Not entirely sure why because he was solid there for Argentina, and he's not hampered by a lack of pace like Blind is in that position.

But as a centreback he's almost always done a good job for us, and I think he could work really well in a partnership with Bailly. Their best attributes are quite similar but Rojo is a bit of a mentalist, and I like that in a centreback.

ti vu

'Jose Mourinho asks Marcos Rojo to turn down Chinese Super League riches with Woodward whispering sweet nothings in his other ear'

Despite him recently deciding it was time to actually show up I don't think he is good enough to be a mainstay. Apparently Oscar is off for £60m and he barely plays. Surely Rojo can get at least £50m based on current form
I don't understand this good enough cliche. The performance he has been putting out recently arguably match someone like Toby Alderweireld (consistently since last season) who arguably one of the best CB in the league, so it's good enough IMO.

If you meant you doubt he can keep up the level of performance then I can see the point. However, we can't be so sure about future. That's a huge gamble selling a player who's performing in our squad, then hope we can get others to perform or buying someone and hope for the same. What if Rojo is really coming of age than just mere purple patch.

We're spoiled having seen better CBs in our team in the past, but with current climate in CB department around the world, there's hardly anyone on the same level, and as far as I am concerned, none available. Even if Rojo can't nail the starting spot in the future, if he can deliver this kind of performance when being called upon, that's a perfect for squad player.

Last edited:

Womp

idiot
I don't understand this good enough cliche. The performance he has been putting out recently arguably match someone like Toby Alderweireld (consistently since last season) who arguably one of the best CB in the league, so it's good enough.

If you meant you doubt he can keep up the level of performance then I can see the point. However, we can't be so sure about future. That's a huge gamble selling a player who's performing in our squad, then hope we can get others to perform or buying someone and hope for the same. What if Rojo is really coming of age than just mere purple patch.

We're spoiled having seen better CBs in our team in the past, but with current climate in CB department around the world, there's hardly anyone on the same level, and as far as I am concerned, none available. Even if Rojo can't nail the starting spot in the future, if he can deliver this kind of performance when being called upon, that's a perfect for squad player.
Don't you know? We are Manchester United so need to have Messi in every position on the pitch. It's simple, Rojo isn't "fashionable", most people have their mind made up on him and most likely won't change it for a while yet. Long may he keep up these performances though, he's been nothing short of immense. Proving many wrong.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I don't understand this good enough cliche. The performance he has been putting out recently arguably match someone like Toby Alderweireld (consistently since last season) who arguably one of the best CB in the league, so it's good enough IMO.

It's not a question of whether he's good enough, it's the name on the back of his shirt. As some have indicated already, it doesn't matter how well he's playing and how long his excellent form continues, some people will never accept him because of an irrational contempt for him. Bizarre really.

Ban

He can play 20 good games but the moment he makes a mistake the ones who think he's not good enough will quickly jump on it. Who cares if your player is performing, we want a new flashy CB from somewhere.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
I wonder how long it will take before people start to realise that he's our best CB? I've been saying it for years. He's got all the attributes to be a Sergio Ramos type for us. We've been crying out for one of those aggressive mad men in the defence. Rojo is perfect for Jose and I'm glad he's been given the chance.

I will say this though... there will come a time where he probably gives away a penalty or scores a rash own goal and I bet the entire fanbase will turn on him like they did with Fellaini. It happens to the best of defenders but Rojo won't be forgiven for it like Smalling was for the Chelsea performance and messing up De Gea's golden glove last season... It's all favourtism with us. Some fans still won't give him the credit he deserves so I'm just waiting for them to pounce on him when he gets caught out some day. No doubt it will be a massive overreaction and there will be calls to bring back the brainless Smalling.
Didn't Ramos also have a lot of mixed performances at RB until he finally became a permanent CB?

Rojo was an absolve car crash at fullback, but he's been very promising at CB the past few games. Needs to at least have a whole season or more at this level before he's at Smalling's level though. Smalling gets the leeway because he consistently performed to a very high standard for around 18 months before his dip in form this season.

Loublaze

ATLien
He can play 20 good games but the moment he makes a mistake the ones who think he's not good enough will quickly jump on it. Who cares if your player is performing, we want a new flashy CB from somewhere.
This is why Bailly was already proclaimed as the best CB at the club after his assured debut in a pre-season friendly against Wigan!

RedPed

Whatabouter.
This is why Bailly was already proclaimed as the best CB at the club after his assured debut in a pre-season friendly against Wigan!
Um, well he has justified that title since his arrival and nothing has changed the fact that he is! And it's a bit more than the game against Wigan. Two or three MOTM performances already. As for Rojo, hopefully he'll maintain his current form. That's gotta be good for the club hasn't it?

Mike09

It happened to Smalling as well. 20 good games for Rojo means deserves for credit and support even if somehow he has a poor game in his 21st game. I don't rate Rojo since the start of last season but if he can keep this up he deserves credit.

Full bodied red

Think he's decent quality as a CB - he was doing well his first season until he did his shoulder for the first time against Athletic.

But what I really like about him is that he seems to have bought into everything about the club. Remember when he stood with the fans in the stands against Stoke ?

Now that I like.

SoCross

He had some dodgy moments as CB in his first season but looks solid this time around! Atrocious as a left back though. Pleased to see the manager showing faith in players who perform.

tomaldinho1

For me it's just overall ability. Dependable squad player but not a starting CB. He has been good recently but how much of that is a) because Carrick is back in front of the CBs and b)we have actually had a deceptively easy run of games bar Tottenham.

I agree he is probably a good squad player but if any teams come in with £40m for a sub you should probably cash in right?

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
For me it's just overall ability. Dependable squad player but not a starting CB. He has been good recently but how much of that is a) because Carrick is back in front of the CBs and b)we have actually had a deceptively easy run of games bar Tottenham.

I agree he is probably a good squad player but if any teams come in with £40m for a sub you should probably cash in right?
Him winning tackles and making interceptions as well as having had great positioning when defending doesn't have anything to do with Carrick. His best performance came against Spurs. Noone would pay 40 million for him. So.. I agree he should be a squad player going forward but let's just acknowledge he's playing very well at centreback for now and he deserves to play, yeah?

tomaldinho1

Him winning tackles and making interceptions as well as having had great positioning when defending doesn't have anything to do with Carrick. His best performance came against Spurs. Noone would pay 40 million for him. So.. I agree he should be a squad player going forward but let's just acknowledge he's playing very well at centreback for now and he deserves to play, yeah?
As stated in my post... 'He has been good recently'

I actually really like the guy, clearly passionate and at least he is winning fans over because of positive displays. I do think Carrick takes a ton of pressure of the two CBs but that doesn't mean I think Rojo is getting a free ride. My point is basically I see him as a squad player but if a Chinese team (referring back to the article about Jose wanting him to stay despite their interest) wants to pay silly money I wouldn't begrudge him being sold. Obviously a dream scenario is he has finally come of age, turns in to a Ramos markII and is a mainstay of the team for years. I just don't see that as very likely unfortunately.

Loublaze

ATLien
Um, well he has justified that title since his arrival and nothing has changed the fact that he is! And it's a bit more than the game against Wigan. Two or three MOTM performances already. As for Rojo, hopefully he'll maintain his current form. That's gotta be good for the club hasn't it?
Yes you can make the argument for him justifying that praise based on overall performances this season so far but it was still over the top and premature at that stage. Just shows that @Ban assertion about how we rate 'flashy' new players is true

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
As stated in my post... 'He has been good recently'

I actually really like the guy, clearly passionate and at least he is winning fans over because of positive displays. I do think Carrick takes a ton of pressure of the two CBs but that doesn't mean I think Rojo is getting a free ride. My point is basically I see him as a squad player but if a Chinese team (referring back to the article about Jose wanting him to stay despite their interest) wants to pay silly money I wouldn't begrudge him being sold. Obviously a dream scenario is he has finally come of age, turns in to a Ramos markII and is a mainstay of the team for years. I just don't see that as very likely unfortunately.
Pretty sure he doesn't feel like moving now that he's playing and is forming a good pair with Jones. I would think he's very much enjoying his time at Utd at the moment. Why would we sell him in January anyway? Bailly won't be available for a month or so as well. I don't anyone expects him to turn in to Ramos. You are making some strange comments that is all.

tomaldinho1

Pretty sure he doesn't feel like moving now that he's playing and is forming a good pair with Jones. I would think he's very much enjoying his time at Utd at the moment. Why would we sell him in January anyway? Bailly won't be available for a month or so as well. I don't anyone expects him to turn in to Ramos. You are making some strange comments that is all.
Not that strange to say in an ideal world I want him to succeed but I don't think he has the ability to do so. Ramos comment was in reference to a few posters above making the comparison. Tongue firmly lodged in cheek with that one.

Again - this is all referring back to the article about Jose trying to keep him from the lure of $$$ in China. That implies he is in some way tempted. V unknown given media are such liars but I never referenced his enjoyment or lack of.
Again - not saying we should sell him willy-nilly but if someone paid big money for him, I would definitely cash in.

Simples

Status
Not open for further replies.