Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Which is what I said. It's dangerous and rash. But his games overall has proved that those moments aside he is actually a very good defender. So it's kind of stupid to say that 'Rojo can't be trusted because of those two games' (even though he had good games then too those tackles aside).
Parking the definition of harm away, do you agree that his "dangerous and rash" tackle is not comparable to a standard rash tackle made by a defender (say mistiming a challenge and tripping up a player, leading to a goal)?

If you do then you'll know why its incorrect to compare Rojo's 2 footed clear red card to a striker missing a chance on goal.

prath92

He went in two footed - its the definition of malicious and a red card. No fool goes in two footed twice in 2 games. Its an infrequent tackle across the league and he managed to do it twice FFS.

How you compare that to a standard rash tackle is beyond me.
Even if you believe all that, he doesn't have a record of doing that in his previous 30 or so games for us shows that he hasn't got a red card for us. So how can you say that it shows he cannot be trusted? Would you for instance say aguero can't be trusted because he actually has two reds this season (two bans rather) ?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Even if you believe all that, he doesn't have a record of doing that in his previous 30 or so games for us shows that he hasn't got a red card for us. So how can you say that it shows he cannot be trusted? Would you for instance say aguero can't be trusted because he actually has two reds this season (two bans rather) ?
Because Rojo has done it in quick succession in recent games. Suggesting he cannot be trusted at present. In the longer term he may prove himself to be more composed again.

FWIW its not just the rash challenges, but also lack of great performances over a prolonged period, as to why I think he cannot be trusted at CB in the long term.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Which is what I said. It's dangerous and rash. But his games overall has proved that those moments aside he is actually a very good defender. So it's kind of stupid to say that 'Rojo can't be trusted because of those two games' (even though he had good games then too those tackles aside).
You can't isolate those incidents, because if they were picked up correctly by the officials it would have changed the course of at least one game (assuming he would get straight red which would have ruled him out of the second game where he also should have saw red) and I could be wrong but at the time of the first incident Smalling and Bailly weren't available for selection? Which would have meant either Blind or possibly TFM playing at the back?
Also it would have meant that he would have struggled to show the good form he's been on, and could have struggled to get back in the side too even after suspension.

These incidents have gathered more attention than was necessary, and the fact that they happened so quickly and within a short time frame suggests it's more than just a moment of madness.

He's been lucky, and hopefully he doesn't do it again and just continues to play well.

Traub

Just saw the first goal again. He deserves a lot of credit for that as does JM - last season we wouldn't have our central defender driving through the middle of the park (not to mention Rojo wouldn't be playing in the heart of the defence).

ash_86

Best header of the ball in our team next to Ibra. He is not tall , which makes heading even more difficult as he needs to time his jump to perfection. Amazing performance from him and Jones

TypeR

In the form of his life, surely. Long may it continue.

I absolutely couldn't wait for us to ship him out after last season's showings at left back, but he's proven a lot of people wrong this season. Looks like CB is really the main position for him after all.

Sylar

Just saw the first goal again. He deserves a lot of credit for that as does JM - last season we wouldn't have our central defender driving through the middle of the park (not to mention Rojo wouldn't be playing in the heart of the defence).
We had Blind do it a few times but instead of driving and commiting their players, it would be a pass to pick somebody out. But yeah, its nice to have somebody on that side doing that. And yeah,glad he didnt shoot haha.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Nothing seems to be able to get past him at the moment. Absolute quality defender. Love the guy. Hope he doesn't get moved on.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Like a new signing for us and a good one at that. Hard to believe it's the same player we've had the last couple of seasons.

Devil may care

Couple of nice sweeping up moments today and an all round composed performance, he's earned his stay in the club and team.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Very strong defensively, very good passer of the ball, and a great header of the ball. Rojo has been excellent recently, and didn't even lunge into a two-footed tackle this game. :D

He is saving both his United career and Argentina career one game at the time.

Zoo

You could hear Mourinho praising him in Spanish when watching on TV. Just goes to show the effects of good coaching.

Sylar

Shame him and Jones sometimes get robbed off clean sheets that arent even their fault. Arsenal, Everton and today come to mind.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I'll admit i was his biggest critic but the way his performances made me eat my words...
We finally agree on something! :)

I thought he was woeful but (besides the two footed tackles) he's been an absolute rock back there this season. I have got to the point where I feel entirely comfortable with him playing CB for us. A high ball I expect him to win, a foot race I expect him to win, ball at feet I expect him to use it productively. Long may it continue.

Loublaze

ATLien
Shame him and Jones sometimes get robbed off clean sheets that arent even their fault. Arsenal, Everton and today come to mind.
Funny you say this because it was his weak headed clearance that went straight to Borini and served as an assist for his goal. Otherwise he was rock solid but we expected an easy game against Sunderland

AR87

I remember when we signed him I believe @Sly said he had the potential to be quality CB but that he needed a manager to smooth his rougher edges and extract consistent performances from him to get him there. Mou allowed him to stay and fight for his place and is now seemingly getting the type of consistency from him I sure as hell did not expect after the last 2 years. He's always been much better at CB than at LB, but even when he got time at CB under LVG I don't believe his performances were close to what he's done in this stretch under Mourinho.

Happy for the guy.

Maroo

Its been very tough, but am finally getting over my bias about him - could not get to rate him above 6/10 in any of the games, but realize that I was wrong. Been very composed and solid.

Womp

idiot
Funny you say this because it was his weak headed clearance that went straight to Borini and served as an assist for his goal. Otherwise he was rock solid but we expected an easy game against Sunderland
That was a freak goal.

Loublaze

ATLien
That was a freak goal.
It was a vert well taken goal. People are calling it a freak or a fluke goal mostly because Sunderland were dead and buried. If Mkhitaryan or Zlatan scored a goal like that no one here would call it a freak goal. Anyway my point is Rojo didn't clear the ball properly and it fell right into Borini's path, 'freak' goal or not

NoPace

It was a vert well taken goal. People are calling it a freak or a fluke goal mostly because Sunderland were dead and buried. If Mkhitaryan or Zlatan scored a goal like that no one here would call it a freak goal. Anyway my point is Rojo didn't clear the ball properly and it fell right into Borini's path, 'freak' goal or not
Also Borini is basically out there because he's capable of moments of excellent technique. It's not for his incredible speed or passing or strength or dribbling. He's basically a hard worker who can finish fairly well, and Rojo gave him a chance and he took it.

Loublaze

ATLien
Also Borini is basically out there because he's capable of moments of excellent technique. It's not for his incredible speed or passing or strength or dribbling. He's basically a hard worker who can finish fairly well, and Rojo gave him a chance and he took it.
Exactly

Fracture90

We finally agree on something! :)

I thought he was woeful but (besides the two footed tackles) he's been an absolute rock back there this season. I have got to the point where I feel entirely comfortable with him playing CB for us. A high ball I expect him to win, a foot race I expect him to win, ball at feet I expect him to use it productively. Long may it continue.
I was cursing the day he donned our shirt and couldn't wait for him to be gifted to anyone, not sold but given for free.

If anyone told me in August I'd be agreeing with that bold part i wouldnt just slap them.

He is really looking great and it seems that Mourinho had a talk with him about them murderous tackles.

His good form is a win-win situation for us, if he really reached a new level in his game and is able to keep it up, we got ourselves a good CB.

If he can't, than we can get some pretty penny for him, courtesy of his recent performances.

PS: i really thought that couple isn't limited to number 2, thought it is anywhere between above 1 but not too wild above.

Last edited:

MounchesterUtd

While he's at fault for the goal, there really is only so much you can do against someone being at the right place and time. 9/10 someone won't be there to finish that chance. Fair play to Borini for a great finish.

Jaybomb

I honestly believe hes the reason we're not losing so much. We've been crying out for his type of player and we're reaping the rewards.

We haven't lost in 11 games and that is largely due our CBs and Carrick. I always knew Rojo was a great player but I would have never guessed his chemistry with Jones would be so good. Its a joy to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.