Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thisistheone

As great as he's been, still not 100% sure about him long term. Feel there's an error or a red card in there at any moment.

That said, it's been a superb season for him so far. Back in August he was nowhere near the 1st team in most people's minds.

ti vu

As great as he's been, still not 100% sure about him long term. Feel there's an error or a red card in there at any moment.

That said, it's been a superb season for him so far. Back in August he was nowhere near the 1st team in most people's minds.
You can say same thing for Sergio Ramos, Terry, Kompany (not comparing their quality). There is no stopping managers pick them and entrust them as core of their successful team.

It's fecking weird that for some reasons our fans in later 00 forward seem to against tough players/ tacklers.

Thisistheone

You can say same thing for Sergio Ramos, Terry, Kompany (not comparing their quality). There is no stopping managers pick them and entrust them as core of their successful team.

It's fecking weird that for some reasons our fans in later 00 forward seem to against tough players/ tacklers.
Yeah ok. Vidic played on the edge as well. But they all are/were clearly at a higher level than Rojo. Don't mind a player who lives on the edge if they're world class.

And to be honest, the game has changed completely since the 90's mate. You can't really tackle these days. I love the way Jose has made us tougher but the way the game is going you need cool heads as well.

ti vu

Yeah ok. Vidic played on the edge as well. But they all are/were clearly at a higher level than Rojo. Don't mind a player who lives on the edge if they're world class.

And to be honest, the game has changed completely since the 90's mate. You can't really tackle these days. I love the way Jose has made us tougher but the way the game is going you need cool heads as well.
Problem is young players back in the late 90s (Rio & Vidic, Terry...) were brought up knowing how to play aggressive, then trained to keep a cool head. Young players now mostly try to emulate Rio ball playing and cool head without proper defending ability or know when to turn up the heat and intimidate attacker. You know, someone like Pepe who first made his name as nutjob in world football, then had a long run of proper CB with a clean record in both season Madrid won the CL, and Portugal EURO triumph.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
It is kind of crazy that Rojo has been our best CB this season, with Jones being near as good as him. Would have put both of them as our worst CBs (out of all five we have) just a couple of months ago.

Jose has done some witchery with them.

ti vu

It is kind of crazy that Rojo has been our best CB this season, with Jones being near as good as him. Would have put both of them as our worst CBs (out of all five we have) just a couple of months ago.

With Jones, for him playing as many games (compare to last few seasons) as he already had this season, it's magic.

Last edited:

m1y2

watch the space when Smalling comes back and will be paired with Bailly, that's gonna be massive

m1y2

He did well as LB mainly due to the Left foot. But I think it was helped when Rashford came on and because he didnt have to defend as much. I dont think it would work in a 11 on 11 as weve seen earlier in the season. Dont think hes comfy there.

Hes better as a CB but good to see another game from him and another clean sheet.
agreed he shouldn't start there but we had no options on the bench although I think he in this form could play decent, he has that bite in him, the aggression which he lacked under LVG who was giving him strict instructions, Rojo can be also quite creative, he played some nice crisp passes down the line to Rashers and usually plays with his head up, and has a good whipping cross in him...

of course he should be a back up but perhaps Jose might not like absolutely poor Darmian there so I wouldn't have a problem to play Rojo instead of him, on the other hand RoJones is a thing right now

OldTrevil

He nearly gifted them a goal by not even challenging Antonio for that cross that skimmed his head. Seemed more interested in holding him than putting any pressure on him. One of the best players in the air in the league, you can't not challenge him for a cross. Fortunately he mistimed his jump.
He actually leaned into him and put him off focus and posture to properly direct his header. Best case scenario you always want the defender to go up toe to toe with the attacker but sometime it's not possible for a number of reasons within the flow of the game and you just have to affect the attacker in any way, which Rojo did successfully. I've been a huge critic of his but he had a clean game on Monday and has been very good the last few months.

Icemav

Thought his distribution was extremely poor against west ham. Jones looking the more impressive player now.

Could Jones and Bailly be paired up?

Man Utd 4:0 Reading

dcullivanio

As a marker of how well he and Jones have been playing recently, I Just shocked myself by hearing my own voice say "Oh No" when Rojo went down injured. A handful of games ago it would've been a "Whoop whoop"

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
He didn't look like he was limping when he came off. Anyone know how serious the injury was?

King.of.Red

damn, please not serious injury or Jose will be forced to buy new CB since we only have 2 good CBs now. I like him and always hope he can perform well with us.

Trizy

I doubt it's a serious injury. He walked off fine, they were probably told don't risk further damage, especially since it wasn't a huge game.

Probably be back for the Liverpool game.

Devil may care

He was drifting nicely into midfield playing some good passes and then suddenly he was coming off, hopefully it's a precaution.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Shows how far he has come for us to be worried about his injury. Hope it's just a knock and he can play against Liverpool

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Jose said its muscular. Hopefully it's just a strain and not a tear. Would still be out for 2-3 weeks though, which means it'll be Jones and Smalling against Liverpool.

Also, I think his hair jinxes him. His good run started when he stopped doing it, and now he goes back to the old hair and gets injured. Go easy on the product, Rojo.

El Zoido

The thought of Smalling against Liverpool is concerning honestly. I hope Rojo recovers in time.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Shows how far he has come for us to be worried about his injury. Hope it's just a knock and he can play against Liverpool
Was thinking that myself. He is the most improved player under Mourinho in my opinion.

He is still relatively young and defenders all improve with experience, so hopefully he has more years at the club ahead of him.

Walters_19_MuFc

Hope the injury isn't too serious. He is in fantastic form, and as Mourinho said, with Bailly away, we're going to need at least three centre backs.

Sylar

The one blemish on an almost perfect day. Agreed with all above, was annoyed / disappointed to see him go off as it wasnt even a clash or anything. How did he get injured btw? I dont even remember.

Good sign was that he could walk off himself so hopefully shouldnt be too long. But yeah, looks like he will miss Liverpool. Hes been great as LCB (2 footed challenges aside).

PaulScholes03

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...x?newsid=B422A903-B204-4EF6-8013-92F1A28F6E53

MOURINHO REACTS TO ROJO INJURY
Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has a worry over Marcos Rojo after the defender was withdrawn during the first half of the 4-0 win over Reading with an injury.

The Argentinian has been in outstanding form of late but was replaced by Phil Jones only 19 minutes into the FA Cup tie, even if the Reds were already two goals to the good at the time.

With Tuesday's EFL Cup semi-final first leg against Hull City on the horizon, followed by the Premier League showdown with Liverpool the following weekend, Rojo's fitness will need to be assessed.

Speaking to BT Sport and MUTV after the game, the boss said: "I don't know [what the damage is]. We have to wait a little bit. A muscle is a muscle and you're always afraid of it but let's see what is going on.

"It would be so important for us to keep our central defenders fit for the month of January. But I prefer to wait. Chris Smalling and Phil Jones did a very good job for us."

Eric Bailly is currently away with Ivory Coast as he prepares to participate in the Africa Cup of Nations.

I hope he gets back soon. I don't fancy Smalling and Jones facing Liverpool together.

m1y2

I hope he gets back soon. I don't fancy Smalling and Jones facing Liverpool together.
what a turnaround, probably ends up with clean sheet for our boys probably with a dominant performance:-) time for Chris to step up and get back to his best.

what a turnaround, probably ends up with clean sheet for our boys probably with a dominant performance:-) time for Chris to step up and get back to his best.
I've always said he was better than many gave him credit for

Devil81

Never thought we'd be gutted by a Rojo injury!!

God hope he's alright.

frank lee madeer..

Hes our best defender imo , and even if not , he's most certainly our best left side cb. He covers his left fullback better than other option.
I laugh to myself when I see comments like ' he was ok today , obviously just a squad player though '.
I hope he recovers quickly . I love players like him , aggressive & unnapreciatedly skilful.

It wont be long before we are fending off bids for him. Top player , who has took his chance.

SirAF

Ageist
I don't mind him missing out on Hull, but I sure hope he's back for liverpool!

Status
Not open for further replies.