6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRoach

Young teenage player that is full of potential blows hot and cold... shocker. The kid clearly has bucket loads of talent, he demonstrated that last season. He has time on his hands, there is no need for him to be a starter at this point in his career only to burn out. He is being handled perfectly by Mourinho, and the super sub role at this stage is perfect. He is also training with and learning from the best.

JoaquinJoaquin

He will get opportunities in January with the FA Cup and League Cup games, Zlatan has helped us massively in this winning streak but he will require rest.

Rash can also pop up on either wide attacking role too.
I'm all for resting Zlatan for the upcoming cup games and playing Rashford upfront. Zlatan is going to need a rest at some point as we really could do without him flaming out towards the business end of the season.

Thisistheone

Jose mentioned how even special talents like Giggs had dips in form. And Rashford is a special talent.

Great impact last night, completely changed the game. Can't wait to watch him develop further.

NoPace

The only question I have about him replacing Ibra as our 9 after or during the 18-19 season is if his finishing will be quite there at such a young age. But his pace, dribbling, ability to bring others into play with flicks and little touches and quickly spotting a pass (the latter 2 abilities Martial lacks, so I think he'll end up the LW) along with his size and it's tough to think of what would a more promising prospect at the 9.

That chipped pass at the end across the box was lovely.

Icemav

Young teenage player that is full of potential blows hot and cold... shocker. The kid clearly has bucket loads of talent, he demonstrated that last season. He has time on his hands, there is no need for him to be a starter at this point in his career only to burn out. He is being handled perfectly by Mourinho, and the super sub role at this stage is perfect. He is also training with and learning from the best.
Having this positive impact at 18 is amazing. That's all he needs to do at this stage. He is 5 seasons away from being the mature player he will become.

Icemav

The only question I have about him replacing Ibra as our 9 after or during the 18-19 season is if his finishing will be quite there at such a young age. But his pace, dribbling, ability to bring others into play with flicks and little touches and quickly spotting a pass (the latter 2 abilities Martial lacks, so I think he'll end up the LW) along with his size and it's tough to think of what would a more promising prospect at the 9.

That chipped pass at the end across the box was lovely.
Replacing Ibra is going to be a huge problem.

Edit: my hope is that Martial becomes a beast next season.

NoPace

Replacing Ibra is going to be a huge problem.

Edit: my hope is that Martial becomes a beast next season.
By the time Ibra needs replacing we will have strengthened elsewhere and also added a 9 to compete with Rashford and also next year Ibra might be a bit less sharp than this year's as he is another year older, but yeah, it's often quite tough to replace 25 goals in the league.

Icemav

By the time Ibra needs replacing we will have strengthened elsewhere and also added a 9 to compete with Rashford and also next year Ibra might be a bit less sharp than this year's as he is another year older, but yeah, it's often quite tough to replace 25 goals in the league.
Very tough. He also is a very different type of striker. If the silky stuff isn't working he can become the traditional target man. The knock down to Martial from Pogs long ball was one of my favorite goals this season. To have that in your locker is brilliant.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Rashford is an immense talent. Our academy has taken a lot of flak from the press over the past couple of years, yet something must have been working when you've got Rashford, Gomes etc. coming through.

The only thing against Rashford succeeding under Mourinho is his mass. Drogba, Zlatan, Milito and Costa are all 6ft or above. Mourinho likes his central striker to be a big guy who can attack as a target and bring others into the game. Rashford would be Mou's first starting #9 under 6ft. If Rashford bulks up like Ronaldo though, he should be physical enough to play the role Drogba etc. have for Jose.

A Rashford that's both pacey and physically powerful will destroy the Premier League. We could be looking at the start of something very, very special lads and ladies.

Icemav

Rashford is an immense talent. Our academy has taken a lot of flak from the press over the past couple of years, yet something must have been working when you've got Rashford, Gomes etc. coming through.

The only thing against Rashford succeeding under Mourinho is his mass. Drogba, Zlatan, Milito and Costa are all 6ft or above. Mourinho likes his central striker to be a big guy who can attack as a target and bring others into the game. Rashford would be Mou's first starting #9 under 6ft. If Rashford bulks up like Ronaldo though, he should be physical enough to play the role Drogba etc. have for Jose.

A Rashford that's both pacey and physically powerful will destroy the Premier League. We could be looking at the start of something very, very special lads and ladies.
Who are the best physical strikers around at the moment? We may need one in 2018. Just look at what Giroud has been providing off the bench.

Who are the best physical strikers around at the moment? We may need one in 2018. Just look at what Giroud has been providing off the bench.
I see your point, although a Giroud like player doesn't have the mobility to press from the front like Mourinho likes. For all Michael Owen's talk about Zlatan's mobility Ibra's not slow, and he does a lot of closing down.

Lewandowski, Higuain, Lukaku, Kane I think.
I think Mourinho would love to have Lewandowski or Harry Kane. Higuain hasn't got the level of pace Mou prefers, although he works hard. Whereas Lukaku has the pace and strength but not the work rate or the reliable finishing.

I'm still holding out hope for Rashford though. He's not that much shy of 6ft tall and, like I said, if he gets down the gym and bulks up he'll be a beast.

Norris

I'm still holding out hope for Rashford though. He's not that much shy of 6ft tall and, like I said, if he gets down the gym and bulks up he'll be a beast.
I on the contrary don't think he should bulk up. Just look at what happened to Memphis when he bulked up. I can agree withyou in that he can do with hitting the gym a bit more but not to the extent that it impedes his speed. That's one of his best attributes and the trade off for pace with physicality will do him more harm than good.

I on the contrary don't think he should bulk up. Just look at what happened to Memphis when he bulked up. I can agree withyou in that he can do with hitting the gym a bit more but not to the extent that it impedes his speed. That's one of his best attributes and the trade off for pace with physicality will do him more harm than good.
No two people are the same. Cristiano Ronaldo only improved after becoming a tank. Its only now that he's in his 30s that Ronaldo is less quick than he used to be. Even now he's still fast when he really goes for it. Also, Ronaldo has been protected from injuries by muscling up. Rashford will be just as vulnerable to being targeted as Ronnie unless he adds some muscle.

Norris

No two people are the same. Cristiano Ronaldo only improved after becoming a tank. Its only now that he's in his 30s that Ronaldo is less quick than he used to be. Even now he's still fast when he really goes for it. Also, Ronaldo has been protected from injuries by muscling up. Rashford will be just as vulnerable to being targeted as Ronnie unless he adds some muscle.
I agree he needs to bulk up a little. It's the extent to which he needs to bulk up I question. If he bulks up the way Blind had put on muscles (There's a stark difference between Blind in his first year at United and the subsequent years iirc), then I think that is optimal and it won't impact his pace.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
His attitude and body language looked much better post match v West Ham, looked like a wide-eyed humble teenager again rather than a star who has made it, like he had been recently.

It is like Jose is beating up the likes of him and Martial mentally so that their attitudes are in line with what he expects from youngsters and also ensuring they stay on their feet and continue working on their game.

Fine line though, don't want to beat them up to the point they lose confidence. Arrogance has its benefits especially when you are running with the ball.

Rossa

Rashford, with the proper training, will get faster by also getting stronger. Any sprinter is seriously powerful, and Rashford will benefit from that as well. However, bulking up too much and he will lose some agility - that happened to Ronaldo as well even when he got faster. He looks to be pretty strong from what I can see though, so no need to go all Valencia in the gym either. Also, he looks to be about 6ft tall.

Norris

Rashford, with the proper training, will get faster by also getting stronger. Any sprinter is seriously powerful, and Rashford will benefit from that as well. However, bulking up too much and he will lose some agility - that happened to Ronaldo as well even when he got faster. He looks to be pretty strong from what I can see though, so no need to go all Valencia in the gym either. Also, he looks to be about 6ft tall.
Yeah, I agree he needs to hit the gym, but the sports scientists at Carrington need to optimize his work out routine just so that he becomes strong and quick with losing any mobility. I'm sure he is on a very strict regimented program already. Him and Lingard could do with that sort of training.

Yeah, he had a major growth spurt is what the Caf seems to think. I can't really tell the difference though.

Brightonian

Yeah, he had a major growth spurt is what the Caf seems to think. I can't really tell the difference though.
He had a major growth spurt before he made it with the first team. Around age 16. Before that he used to be incredibly tiny. Then he got tall, but was obviously skinny. Since joining the seniors he's obviously bulked up a lot, although it's been gradual enough that I'd not really noticed until seeing the photo above.

ti vu

The thing is as mentioned just above, he used to be tiny and didn't learn to use his body in developing his style of play. So with first team football at times he came off as lightweight and very lacking in aerial ability, despite he is now quite well built and tall. Will need a lot of work to get used to this new grown body and make most use of it.

Last edited:

Norris

He had a major growth spurt before he made it with the first team. Around age 16. Before that he used to be incredibly tiny. Then he got tall, but was obviously skinny. Since joining the seniors he's obviously bulked up a lot, although it's been gradual enough that I'd not really noticed until seeing the photo above.
I've seen clips of him at 16,17 and compared to that, he's definitely grown taller and bulked up a little. I was under the impression he had another growth spurt after joining the first team. Thanks for clarifying that though. :)

flappyjay

Hahaha we have Cavanied him by playing him outwide.....hopefully is impressed by his ability to get in good positions

Varun

Staff
Excellent runs. Should have buried the chance but he's been very good bar that.

TheSwedeFromSweden

Supports
Zlatan
He's playing okay, but as a striker you need to score the chances you get. Its like when Zlatan had his period of missing chances. Doesn't matter how well is overall play was if he misses his chances.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
People in the match thread saying he's been rubbish are a perfect example of how too many people can't see anything beyond stats these days.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Just needs a goal or two, last season he would've stuck those two chances away. Playing well I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.