5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

Salah at 27 - and a mature striker - missed two golden opportunities yesterday to play his team mates in - Firmino and Mane with a very clear and simple pass each time. Instead he took the most difficult decision both times and ended up with nothing and 1 angry team mate.
Are you arguing just for the point of arguing? Actually think for a minute. Even despite Salah's selfishness, he is scoring 20-30 goals a season. Rashford is barely getting to double digits. Salah's misses cost him a golden boot or assist chart. When these kids miss, it's our chance for top 10

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
There was a time during the game when Rashford was running with the ball on the left wing and all he had to do to keep the Attack going was to play it down the line to someone who had made a run. Before he played the pass I thought to myself he’s going to pass it out. And surprise surprise, he passed it out. Idiot.

There was a time during the game when Rashford was running with the ball on the left wing and all he had to do to keep the Attack going was to play it down the line to someone who had made a run. Before he played the pass I thought to myself he’s going to pass it out. And surprise surprise, he passed it out. Idiot.
It was Leicester away in Jose 2nd season we ended up drawing that game too.

Jonno

Are you arguing just for the point of arguing? Actually think for a minute. Even despite Salah's selfishness, he is scoring 20-30 goals a season. Rashford is barely getting to double digits. Salah's misses cost him a golden boot or assist chart. When these kids miss, it's our chance for top 10
And was Salah competing for a golden boot at 21? In fact at that stage he was scoring single figures for Basel....

Sterling Archer

And was Salah competing for a golden boot at 21? In fact at that stage he was scoring single figures for Basel....
Yup exactly!!! So why bend over backwards to rinse Rashford for every mistake because it's costing us matches. Take a step back and blame the coaching staff that decided to rely on a couple of kids to take us through the season. I'll say it again - it's unacceptable that we went into the season without a senior striker. I won't blame Ole entirely either - he was very clear about replacing Alexis and Lukaku...

R'hllor

Still think he would improve massively if someone puts a foot down and tells him whats up.

Irwin99

I do rate him as a player, despite some obvious problems that may or may not get improve with age, but I've never been convinced he's a striker. If there's not a lot of space to run in he's pretty limited.

haram

I know Rashford is only 21 and I don't expect him to be banging them in like a 26 year old Ruud Van Nistlerooy. However, lets not pretend that Rashford didn't want this responsibility. He did not look happy playing second fiddle to Ibra and Lukaku. He talked a great game about getting the number 10 shirt. Now its time to step up.

Rooney and Ronaldo were carrying our attack at 21. If Rashford is as special as we believe him to be then why should he not be expected to do the same? Today the criticism of Rashford was not that he didn't go on a mazy run and score a Messi like goal. It was that Wan-Bissaka and James were putting the ball in the box in beautiful areas and he wasn't there. Today we didn't need Rashford to play like Cantona, Chicharito in the box would've done. If you're a striker show a striker's instinct. Otherwise get better at playing on the wings!
Well he is better at LF. I always said he was not that good a striker.

Also, sometimes a 21 year old doesn’t actually know what is good for them. Beyond that, it is unfair to compare him to Rooney and Ronaldo, he is not that level of talent.

Last edited:

K13

No .. I am saying that even when they are mature sometimes they will not make the right decision.

Sterling Archer

No .. I am saying that even when they are mature sometimes they will not make the right decision.
What's the need to point that out? It's a truth. But saying it in the context of me claiming needed more experienced strikers suggests you're saying they wouldn't make a difference for us. That's why I'm confused. Because I do think Marcus should be held responsible for his bad decisions the same way Mane flipped a shit on Salah. But in the end, the bigger fault lays with the club - coaches and all - for deciding to lean on a trio of inconsistent youngsters to have a good season

K13

What's the need to point that out? It's a truth. But saying it in the context of me claiming needed more experienced strikers suggests you're saying they wouldn't make a difference for us. That's why I'm confused. Because I do think Marcus should be held responsible for his bad decisions the same way Mane flipped a shit on Salah. But in the end, the bigger fault lays with the club - coaches and all - for deciding to lean on a trio of inconsistent youngsters to have a good season
I think we have lost the flow of the thread.

To clarify I don't think he made bad decisions on the two examples that were posted.

I am happy going with 2 potentially world class players (Rashord & Martial) because in my opinion they can not do any worse than the experienced heads we bought in. At least we might have something special at the end if one of them fulfills their vast potential.

emperortan

Selfish is ok for a striker. But the problem of Rashford (and Martial, too) is running off the ball. He seems too lazy to run off the ball (or he doesn't has this abillity?) Quite annoying seeing him stand there and wait for the ball. He can not create gaps and chances with that!

Based Adnan

He's got over 200 professional games for club and country. At what point do we see him make progress on some of his deficiencies like brainless decision making, poor dribbling, poor set pieces and poor heading?

In Rainbows

As frustrated as I get with some of his performances, I'm not going to go too hard on him. Let him develop some more. If he turns into a super sub, it would be great. He doesn't have to turn into a star. Maybe his ego wouldn't take well to that, but we're not at that point yet. He's our best option right now until Greenwood takes his chance or Martial comes back from injury. Still, these sort of performances should give Greenwood a start to take that chance. That's on Ole from now on.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Meanwhile Lukaku has just scored a second goal. Its a shame that he was born in Antwerp not in Manchester

Zoo

He’s not a number 9. Thankfully he has realised this judging by his comments in preseason. Now the English media needs to do the same and Ole needs to play Greenwood there over him if Martial is unavailable.

KennyBurner

Dont know how anyone can call Rashford lazy.
i think he is lazy when it comes to thinking. Instead of finding a different solution in tight spaces he resorts to kick and run football. i highly doubt anyone thinks he is lazy when it comes to actual effort. His effort is one of the main reasons why he has made it this far because it certainly isn't wonderkid talent.

Alabaster Codify7

Needs his bubble bursting.

He thinks he's Ronaldo the way he claims a monopoly on free-kicks and he's abysmal at them. He's believing his own hype and thinking he's more than he actually is, his team-play is really poor. Needs a kick up the arse.

Kurton

As frustrated as I get with some of his performances, I'm not going to go too hard on him. Let him develop some more. If he turns into a super sub, it would be great. He doesn't have to turn into a star. Maybe his ego wouldn't take well to that, but we're not at that point yet. He's our best option right now until Greenwood takes his chance or Martial comes back from injury. Still, these sort of performances should give Greenwood a start to take that chance. That's on Ole from now on.
But how do we make him a super sub while paying super star wages?

0le

What has his wages got to to with anything? If the manager doesn't fancy him, then the player won't play.

haram

i think he is lazy when it comes to thinking. Instead of finding a different solution in tight spaces he resorts to kick and run football. i highly doubt anyone thinks he is lazy when it comes to actual effort. His effort is one of the main reasons why he has made it this far because it certainly isn't wonderkid talent.
People need to stop calling it kick and run football. He has insane acceleration and his explosiveness allows him to get by fullbacks when he uses it.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Yes because that’s why we got rid.
Well I am not certain why he was sold however he's a much better scorer then Rashford is. Sure the latter has more movement and a better touch then Lukaku. However without brains and killer instincts they are as useful as....well.....Rashford's freekicks.

The reality is that Lukaku could be brutally effective if played in the right way. Rashford will always be a squad player level, an upgrade of Danny Welbeck.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
People need to stop calling it kick and run football. He has insane acceleration and his explosiveness allows him to get by fullbacks when he uses it.
I will agree with you that Rashford isn't plenty and does plenty of run off the ball (the Chelsea goal doesn't happen without it for instance) however his "dribbling" is pretty kick and run, there is little skill involved, just fast running. You don't see him dribble past opponents with pure skill, footwork, feints etc etc ...

In Rainbows

We're in a transition right now. The #9 spot is up for grabs by either Martial, Rashford, or Greenwood. If Greenwood or Martial secures that spot, then the next time Rashford's contract is up he shouldn't be offered the same wages. He'll have much less leverage as it would be proven that he wasn't good enough to be our #9.

I don't think United should base their lineup decisions based on wages.

haram

I will agree with you that Rashford isn't plenty and does plenty of run off the ball (the Chelsea goal doesn't happen without it for instance) however his "dribbling" is pretty kick and run, there is little skill involved, just fast running. You don't see him dribble past opponents with pure skill, footwork, feints etc etc ...
He is one of the most skillful players in the squad. Why waste your time when you can burn past everyone with your acceleration.

kouroux

He is one of the most skillful players in the squad. Why waste your time when you can burn past everyone with your acceleration.
To what result ? He runs so fast he barely controls the ball, often goes out of play with it or makes terrible passes. A slowed down approach would improve the accuracy of his movement, his passing and most importanly would make him unpredictable. The best dribblers in the world don't kick it and run like that. That's so limited

haram

To what result ? He runs so fast he barely controls the ball, often goes out of play with it or makes terrible passes. A slowed down approach would improve the accuracy of his movement, his passing and most importanly would make him unpredictable. The best dribblers in the world don't kick it and run like that. That's so limited
He runs with the ball similar to how Mbappe does? Rashford slowing down is not the answer. He needs to make use of his acceleration because there is not many players that can deal with it. On him making mistakes, that’s what most 21 year olds do.

If people expect him to score goals like he did against Chelsea every week, its not happening. It’s Ole’s fault for even putting him in this position to be criticised this heavily. I knew this would happen.

Kurton

What has his wages got to to with anything? If the manager doesn't fancy him, then the player won't play.
His wages are important because it will have a ripple effect on others, similar to the one with Sanchez. Why will another player who is performing better than Rashford will accept a lower wage than him? How many can we afford to be on the bench with such wages. Glazers will not sanction a deal when we have some on wages that should be carrying the team. It's a bad precedent to set and we'll see more of the same issues in the future.
We're in a transition right now. The #9 spot is up for grabs by either Martial, Rashford, or Greenwood. If Greenwood or Martial secures that spot, then the next time Rashford's contract is up he shouldn't be offered the same wages. He'll have much less leverage as it would be proven that he wasn't good enough to be our #9.

I don't think United should base their lineup decisions based on wages.
He shouldn't have had the leverage in the first place to ask for such wages as he hasn't proved anything yet. 10 goals is not enough to warrant such wages.

Kurton

The are multiple problems with what you suggested:

First, he runs in straight lines and cannot change direction. It is very easy to stop such players as a defender as all you have to do is hold your ground. That is why he loses the ball so much in his runs even when there are not many defenders.

Second, he won't find spaces to make his runs with Utd as most teams we face will sit deep and defend. What use is acceleration in such a scenario? Which is why he would be ideal as impact sub with tired defenders, or better still in lower teams where his acceleration can be used in counter-attacks when the attacking team is caught off guard.

kouroux

He runs with the ball similar to how Mbappe does? Rashford slowing down is not the answer. He needs to make use of his acceleration because there is not many players that can deal with it. On him making mistakes, that’s what most 21 year olds do.

If people expect him to score goals like he did against Chelsea every week, its not happening. It’s Ole’s fault for even putting him in this position to be criticised this heavily. I knew this would happen.
Mbappe tries to vary from time to time, he cuts inside, he goes on the outside, he makes feints, step overs etc etc .... Rashford does the same thing over and over, just run fast in a straight line. That's very predictable. His acceleration is a great tool but he only uses it in the same fashion all the time, he won't surprise his opponents. Think of the best dribblers in the world right now and before, many of them combined their pace with variety of movement , dribbles and tricks.

I don't expect much from him, I see his talent but I don't see rate him highly anyway.

haram

Mbappe tries to vary from time to time, he cuts inside, he goes on the outside, he makes feints, step overs etc etc .... Rashford does the same thing over and over, just run fast in a straight line. That's very predictable. I don't expect much from him, I see his talent but I don't see rate him highly anyway.
Mbappe is better yes but Marcus using his acceleration is not kick and run.

kouroux

Mbappe is better yes but Marcus using his acceleration is not kick and run.
It really is. He runs in a straight line, he even starts running after a clear invitation from defenders, he doesn't analyze the situation in which they're baiting him to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.