5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

varga92

Currently leads the way in the EPL on xG on Understat. Bit weird how this forum is acting like he is anonymous in games.
That stat means he is awful at finishing. But to be fair, 4 games is a very small sample size for xG.

Hughes35

Dreadful. I have always had high hopes for Rashford. I think he works hard and I get the impression he trains very hard also. He's fit as a fiddle and lightning quick. I just get the feeling his football brain is not up to standard and unfortunately I don't think this is something you can really teach.

He's going to be a starter for us for years to come and we will never be competitive in that time IMO.

haram

This is exactly why what Ole has done by putting pressure on Rashford, Greenwood and Martial is fecking stupid. It has taken 3/4 games and people are destroying Rashford. He has a lot of talent but our manager and board are fecking irresponsible. How can a 21 year old have this much pressure on him already? No one even remembers his goal against Chelsea.

People are looking for scapegoats. Look at Ole and Woodward.

SweetRightFoot

Had a bit of a shocker today but some of this criticism in here is way off. It's abundantly clear he's better out wide, even out wide and cutting in, not because he doesn't have the skill set but it looks like he just doesn't really know how to play as an out and out forward, leading the line.

The idea of playing as the 1 (a pacey, quick number 9 ie. Torres at Liverpool or Aubameyang at Dortmund) in a 4-2-3-1 is that you hang on the shoulder of the last man, only dropping deeper or wider to pick the ball up and recycle it to your 10 or your wingers before running straight towards goal or down the channels. This, firstly, pulls the defence out and then pushes them back, giving your teammates space to work the ball and create chances for you to finish. Saw far too much of Rashford coming back towards his own half or playing out on the wings, trying to create something but ultimately breaking our shape and formation by expecting James or, sigh, Pereira to fill in up top for him when frankly, neither have the ability or experience to do so.

Really missed Martial up top today, I really like the look of him as our main striker, kind of see a bit of Aguero in him with the way he can turn a defender in a flash or zip past a centre back with his quick feet and then finish with either laces or instep for power or accuracy.

Not really sure what kind of player Rashford is though. Quick, good feet, decent cross and finish, I kinda wanna say young Ronaldo but he doesn't have the same raw skill set that he had but they do have a similar kind of determination. Needs to work on the mental side of his game, just like Ronaldo did. But yeah, he's not a striker, not yet. To be honest, with his work rate he could play as a wingback, one of the best games I saw him in was England v Spain with him and Sterling virtually playing on the touch lines.

Winmove

This is exactly why what Ole has done by putting pressure on Rashford, Greenwood and Martial is fecking stupid. It has taken 3/4 games and people are destroying Rashford. He has a lot of talent but our manager and board are fecking irresponsible. How can a 21 year old have this much pressure on him already? No one even remembers his goal against Chelsea.

The biggest mistake Woodward has done is sacking Mourinho, now everyone ( the board, the players, etc ) no longer have the ultimate scapegoat for their disastrous performance.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

I know Rashford is only 21 and I don't expect him to be banging them in like a 26 year old Ruud Van Nistlerooy. However, lets not pretend that Rashford didn't want this responsibility. He did not look happy playing second fiddle to Ibra and Lukaku. He talked a great game about getting the number 10 shirt. Now its time to step up.

Rooney and Ronaldo were carrying our attack at 21. If Rashford is as special as we believe him to be then why should he not be expected to do the same? Today the criticism of Rashford was not that he didn't go on a mazy run and score a Messi like goal. It was that Wan-Bissaka and James were putting the ball in the box in beautiful areas and he wasn't there. Today we didn't need Rashford to play like Cantona, Chicharito in the box would've done. If you're a striker show a striker's instinct. Otherwise get better at playing on the wings!

red4ever 79

Manc born and bred so gets a lot of hype and a free pass from the fans. Not good enough. Should play on the left but then you saw Jame's performance on the left and you realize even then that he wasnt good enough then.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I know Rashford is only 21 and I don't expect him to be banging them in like a 26 year old Ruud Van Nistlerooy. However, lets not pretend that Rashford didn't want this responsibility. He did not look happy playing second fiddle to Ibra and Lukaku. He talked a great game about getting the number 10 shirt. Now its time to step up.

Rooney and Ronaldo were carrying our attack at 21. If Rashford is as special as we believe him to be then why should he not be expected to do the same? Today the criticism of Rashford was not that he didn't go on a mazy run and score a Messi like goal. It was that Wan-Bissaka and James were putting the ball in the box in beautiful areas and he wasn't there. Today we didn't need Rashford to play like Cantona, Chicharito in the box would've done. If you're a striker show a striker's instinct. Otherwise get better at playing on the wings!
Exactly. Ole and the board cannot do much about instant and stupid decision making on the pitch by Rashford. He is young indeed but he has been exposed at the high level for a while, for club and country. He isn't a typical 21 years old, the expectation is higher. All of that without mentioning the new contract too

Ish

Lights on for Luke
This is important. If you're paid like a star, you should perform like a star. With that being said, it's not Rashford's fault that Utd is paying him star-wages even though he's not on that level yet.
Agree with that, bud. It’s really not his fault that the board caved in to his demands, but then I’m not sure he can expect to be afforded the same patience someone like James will have from the fans, I guess. Not when he’s on match winner type wages anyway. (I’m not sure what James is on but I think I read around 80k)

AJ Bullet

Not a natural striker, doesnt know how to anticipate a cross, James put in two or three great balls that an Aguero or Kane gets on the end of, yes Rashford is a lot younger than those guys but if we want to get up the table to those teams we somebody up top who can get those goals. Rashford doesnt play there enough to learn the role either, his all round general play was poor though no matter his position. Not replacing Lukaku was criminal and we will get problems like this so nothing unpredictable with such few striker options.

SaintMuppet

Over rated/selfish/greedy/sh1te

We need players to stand up and be counted, not take advantage of unstoppable status.

It might be suicide but I hope Ole drops the self important sh1te..

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
21 should be old enough if you have been in and around the 1st team for as long as Rashford has.

He now has the platform he has wanted and so far it is showing how his development has plateaued. He’s currently not good enough to lead the line. There’s still a lot missing from his game and his decision making is terrible at times.

Like it or not he needs to be taken back a bit by Ole but who do we replace him with? Martial? At this point I would start with Greenwood, he shows more natural strikers instincts than Rashford.

Hawks2008

Hope he learns to play on the right, James earned his spot on the left for next week and feel Martial is more suited to the central role than Rashford. The spot is wide open for someone to make there own.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
His left foot is just so poor. Martial’s goal against wolves is an example of how your top centre forward should be able to execute with their weak foot.

Greenwood’s left foot would have been a better choice as our centre forward today with all the chances that Rashford got today.

Best for Rashford just stay on the right side but then again he deserves to be dropped next game for Greenwood imo with Martial as CF & James on the left.

Marcelinho87

Much like Lingard, he is egocentric and is out for his own plaudits.

Time is on his side and he has the ability but I ain't quite sure he has the mindset.

K13

Lovely lay off in the build up play for the goal.

Saints doubling up on him gave James a lot of freedom (and he did really well for such a raw player) but with Martial back that should improve the movement along the front line so we can play between the lines again.

He will go back to the left slot where he and Martial dove tail brilliantly and with Mata in such fine form - he created something every 6 minutes yesterday - we are in good shape for after the International break. Lets hope Lingard can pick up a bit of form for England - we need all our players to be confident and playing well.

Bojan11

Dove tail brilliantly? I must have missed that for the last two years.

thepolice123

He needs to be dropped. In poor form at the moment. The missed PK shattered his confidence.

Bojan11

He needs to be dropped. In poor form at the moment. The missed PK shattered his confidence.
He wasn’t really great before that and he’s been poor for about six months now. But let’s just talk about the penalty.

I think his last great performance was against Liverpool last year.

If James and Martial continue to do well and we get a RW in the summer where does that leave Rashford? He really needs to step it up if he wants to cement his place in this team going forward.

The-Natural

Excuse the cliche but is starting to look like just a 'moments' player. His attitude and confidence are certainly to be admired and he can clearly hit a ball quite well but his technique otherwise is seriously sketchy. Basic combination play is just not there a lot of the time and his finishing is very erratic. Martial has to come back to play no.9 straight away when he's ready.

In fairness it looked like there's potential with him off left because of his pace and work rate but equally I don't see him doing anything there that James can't. Needs to show big improvement this season or should face Ole's axe just like everyone else who hasn't performed.

This one would obviously be trickier because of the new deal he signed but if he keeps playing like this then it will simply have to be done.

Renegade

If James and Martial continue to do well and we get a RW in the summer where does that leave Rashford? He really needs to step it up if he wants to cement his place in this team going forward.
Back up to both positions as he should be. Just like he should be to the England squad behind Sterling Kane and Sancho.

buckooo1978

that is poor and hopefully he will improve

he made some good runs when Pogba was freed up from that deeper role and was able to slip him in - his finishing was lacking though

now is the time to get behind Rashford.... he's not the finished article

K13

I don't agree. He couldn't pass back to Mata there - the defender would have cut it out because his weight distribution is already anticipating that pass.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I don't agree. He couldn't pass back to Mata there - the defender would have cut it out because his weight distribution is already anticipating that pass.
Yeah. The analysis of this chance is as crap as the analysis of United dropping points against Wolves simply due to Pogba taking the pen.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The knives out for Rashford are fecking embarrassing. People acting like he is a 30 year old journeyman rather than one of the best forwards in his age bracket in the world. Every manager who has had him at club and international level has selected him the vast majority of the time. We’ve got people acting like his place in the squad is in jeopardy because another young player has had a shot streak of finishing in front of woeful defending and a deflected shot.

K13

Yeah. The analysis of this chance is as crap as the analysis of United dropping points against Wolves simply due to Pogba taking the pen.
Exactly .. if anything it highlights that Rashford has got his angles spot on.

stepic

He’s not a 9. He never will be. He should be competing with James on the left for me.

K13

No one's convincing me that Rashford couldn't have passed it to Mata there.
If Mata had made his run the other side of the tracking back defender )ie the blind side) it would have been possible.

No I don't see an angle there that the tracking back defender has not already seen - and with a bouncing ball and 2 defenders and a GK snapping at his heels I have only ever seen a Messi level of player make that work.

Jimmy_Bond

No one's convincing me that Rashford couldn't have passed it to Mata there.
When Rashford gets to the ball Mata is about 10 yards behind him at a very square angle.

He'd need eyes in the back of his head for that one. No doubt some will criticise him for not having a pair there...

Sterling Archer

He's 21 years old. I don't expect flawless performances from a striker that age until he's at least 25 or 26. Which begs the question, which clowns decided to go into the season with Rashford (21), Martial (23) and Greenwood (17) as our strikers?

Sterling Archer

Reminded me of that opportunity against Brighton last season. Same Rashford. Same mistakes. Because he's a kid. Get there right senior players to guide him. "need to feel the pressure" shit from Ole is just a cop out for the Glazers not backing him.

K13

He's 21 years old. I don't expect flawless performances from a striker that age until he's at least 25 or 26. Which begs the question, which clowns decided to go into the season with Rashford (21), Martial (23) and Greenwood (17) as our strikers?
Salah at 27 - and a mature striker - missed two golden opportunities yesterday to play his team mates in - Firmino and Mane with a very clear and simple pass each time. Instead he took the most difficult decision both times and ended up with nothing and 1 angry team mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.