g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Marcus Rashford image 10

Marcus Rashford England flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

ForeverRed1

It’s got to the point that every time he has the ball I expect him to lose it or make the wrong decision. Shouldn’t be starting on current form.

JeffFromHK

It’s got to the point that every time he has the ball I expect him to lose it or make the wrong decision. Shouldn’t be starting on current form.
More astonishing is that some of our fans thought he did okay last night.
Love is so blind.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
So so poor on every single level. But the worst thing is seeing him being so lacklustre. If we had proper options, there is no way he should be starting games

T Red

I can't remember seeing a worse performance from any footballer in my entire years watching football.

He did only two things right all game, 1 was the pass to Dalot, second was the penalty.

With this form, he shouldn't even be on the bench let alone on the pitch.

Yakuza_devils

He still has the same problem since his debut. He has no football intelligence and lack consistency. We can only pray that he will hit some form sooner rather than later.
He was out of form for one or two years and we thought ETH has revived him. Pray hard!

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
It was really amazing seeing him feck everything he attempted bar the penalty and the pass to Dalot. We used to complain about Nani's decision making but Rashford is miles worse.

December_16

Something is going on with him, again. So weird. Even if he played with a fraction of quality/purpose/hunger as he did last year, he would’ve done so much better than what he’s shown this season so far. Wonder if he carries a secret injury or something again.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
One compliment I will gave him is that was a very good penalty under quite a lot of pressure - having your shittest game in a run of shit games, you're not the usual penalty taker and the usual penalty taker is still on the pitch, and the score is only 1-0... showed some decent bottle/mentality to stick that one away as emphatically as he did.

quadrant

This is a really difficult situation for ETH. Rashford has been dreadful recently, even the most basic stuff isn't coming off for him. Yesterday he had 65% pass rate completion, second lowest in the team. 6 attempted dribbles, none successful. No shots, on or off target.

The problem is, I can't see a way that United have a good season without Rashford coming into some form. Hojland is helping (in Europe at least), but I can't see our other attackers making up for the 30 goals that Rashford scored last season. And that was already a low scoring season. Rashford's not hitting that now, but we still need him to be getting up to 15+ in all comps to have hope of achieving anything.

He's not doing that on the bench though, so I think he needs to keep being played, even if he is hurting us while he plays.

Hammondo

This is a really difficult situation for ETH. Rashford has been dreadful recently, even the most basic stuff isn't coming off for him. Yesterday he had 65% pass rate completion, second lowest in the team. 6 attempted dribbles, none successful. No shots, on or off target.

The problem is, I can't see a way that United have a good season without Rashford coming into some form. Hojland is helping (in Europe at least), but I can't see our other attackers making up for the 30 goals that Rashford scored last season. And that was already a low scoring season. Rashford's not hitting that now, but we still need him to be getting up to 15+ in all comps to have hope of achieving anything.

He's not doing that on the bench though, so I think he needs to keep being played, even if he is hurting us while he plays.
At least we are not conceding many.

Swiss_Red89

One compliment I will gave him is that was a very good penalty under quite a lot of pressure - having your shittest game in a run of shit games, you're not the usual penalty taker and the usual penalty taker is still on the pitch, and the score is only 1-0... showed some decent bottle/mentality to stick that one away as emphatically as he did.
Agree. His experience definitely helped in this case.
He has take quite a few very high pressure penaltys already. (PSG, Columbia and Italy for England at WC and Euro finals).
So I think even in his currenct form he had no problem to handle yesterdays kind of pressure.

Jeffthered

This.

I actually watched the game yesterday thinking, that Rashford has genuinely lost his way. He doesn't seem to understand what he should be doing. His decision making is really bad. He needs ETH to manage him. But, as you can see, that isn't happening. Rashford needs to just keep his game simple. Don't always try and 'do something'. Just keep possession. Everything else will work from there. Watch Messi.. or Harry Kane... both have lost their pace, power.. but they rarely, rarely, lose possession, and they nearly always make the correct decisions when receiving and using the ball.

Rashford's current thinking is muddled.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
It's not really in our rights to know but clearly there's off the field stuff affecting him.

Like night and day and he's gone back to the way he was the season before where he admitted he was struggling.

Lad needs help, whatever form that may take.

Just isn't as rapid as he was, I think it's that simple. As an FB you know what he'll try and do but now they have more chance of keeping up with him, getting a toe in or just shielding him from getting around them. Plus he's rock bottom confidence.
Won't take up the Martial thread any more

Figured it was better to reply in here. I think it's the above. He was like this the season before last and he had admitted afterwards that he wasn't in a good place mentally. I don't think he's lost a step speedwise - I think he mentally can't do it cause he's struggling. It's more than just going a few games without a goal.

Born2Lose

As I've said before, the most mothered player in the history of football. No surprise he acts like a spoiled brat.

FerociousCorgis

that mishit pass to garnacho late in the game was so hilariously bad that i didnt realize from the game feed that garnacho was so wide and in acres of open space. It literally looked like rashford just rolled the ball to the only everton defender on the tv screen.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
An abomination of a performance.

Good penalty.

Yes and no. Rashford finding his form would help us on all levels imaginable, but our other attackers are also struggling due to the fact that Rashford has been dreadful.

I think that Marcus is a streaky player, he gets hot and cold runs, he’s with his GF and then he breaks up with his GF, then he’s back with her and this effects his on field performances, which is a shame.

He’s generally a good human being that’s just a little bit flakey but now he’s just turned 26 he should be in his prime and starting to make better on and off field decisions. I say all this in defence of him as I’m a huge fan and believe he just needs a little patience and he’ll come good this season too.

Marcus, however needs to man up, he’s 26 now has elite potential but when his heads not right, he’ll stink the place out. I’ve seen him play well for 45 minutes this season and that’s 20 mins for us against Arsenal and 25 minutes for England vs Italy. He’s got 3 goals and 3 assists for club and country from 21 games, his career for united is 125 goals and 71 assists so 196 Goal involvements in 376 Games so he basically scores or assists at 1 in 2 in his united career, for England he’s played 60 times and has 20 goals and 7 assists, I included his one under 21 cap. So again practically 1 in 2 Goal involvements.

I hear how good phil Foden and Jack Grealish are and yes they are both more intelligent footballers, but when Marcus is in form, neither of these two offer the same penetration or stats that Marcus does internationally, Foden does for his club but not for his country they are not 1 in 2 GI internationally and neither of them have scored 30 goals in a season, thus is why Southgate keeps picking him?

My point is that if Rashford was at city or Liverpool both managers at those two clubs have both previously told of their huge admiration for him, both would get so much more out of him just by having a pattern of play that creates more opportunities for him, this year we expected ETH to kick on but the football has been generally drab.

Yes 75% is Marcus Fault but Hojlund hasn’t scored in the PL either this season because we don’t actually create that many chances for our attacking players and that simply needs to improve asap. Kobie as a genuine 8 will help but he’s still hugely inexperienced, United need an elite 8 and far more creativity from the wing backs.
It depends how you want to look at it. His goal involvement this season in the league is 2 goals and 2 assists in 12 matches, 4 in 12, so more or less every third match. Last season is still freakish as he was performing poorly before the World Cup and then had a period where everything was flying in, yet he was still doing better on average compared to where he is now. He went from 4 goals and 2 assists in 14 matches, essentially close to 1 every second match, to having a period where he in 11 league matches produced 10 goals and 1 assist, he then went down to 5 in 11. He had his most productive season to date, but he essentially scored 60% of his goals in a period of playing 33% of his total matches. Is he going to have a similar freakish period this season?

In terms of creating chances. Yes and no. We certainly don't create all that many chances for Højlund, who is our main striker, but if you look at the stats for most shots in the premier league, you'll find that Rashford has 37 shot attempts, 5th most in the league. The second most has 39. Haaland has the most with 51. Bruno Fernandes has 36. The next Manchester United player on the list is Garnacho, with 18, Antony with 16, Casemiro with 15, Højlund has 14.

Shot on targets however. Bruno has 16, so essentially 44,4% of his shots are on target. Rashford has 9 shots on target, 24%. Højlund has 5 on target, so 35,7%. Garnacho with 22%, Casemiro with 26%, Antony with 25%. Haaland has 57% of his shots on target.

76,9% of Rashfords touches are in the attacking 3rd of the pitch + inside the opponents box, by far the most progressive passes received, almost double of Garnacho. A rather large part of the problem here is that Rashford does stupid things that are unlikely to turn into a success. That many attempted shots, with an xg of 4,7, is fecking bonkers, 0,03 goals per shot.

Anyway, people can drown themselves in stats and be none the wiser. A large part of our setup is to get the ball to Rashford in positions where he can cause problems, but nothing is happening for him. Steve McClaren had a rant about it before he got hired by Ten Hag.

"He gets deterred too easily and doesn't fight through bad moments. He doesn't stay in the game. If he's not having a good game, he's not having a good game.

"If he's not having a good first half, he'll never have a good second half. I just look at him and think that boy needs help, off the field and through the manager."

Which i still think sums him up, especially this season. He looks a bit like Arsenal under Wenger when he kept complaining about other teams not allowing Arsenal to just play their beautiful football, if someone dares tackle him (which they often do, with large success), he'll go down easily and look over to the ref and complain for a bit.

It's fairly obvious just how important he is and how much we depend on Rashford performing at his highest level, so with the alternatives being what they are we can't really do anything else than crossing whatever we can cross and pray he hits form. In the long term, i just can't see how there's any way whatsoever we can continue to relay so heavily on a player with such problems throughout a season. We need Rashford to go back to the basic stuff, pick the easy options of passing the ball to teammates when they have space, go for the 90% stuff rather than shots from obscene angles, don't take on 2-3 oppositional players but take advantage of the fact that you are surrounded so there must be space somewhere else.

Guardiola doesn't need or want a player that primarily thrives in a system where he can run in behind, what he wants are highly functioning players rotating position and being a part of both build ups and retaining possession. Which, lets be honest, is hardly a system that suits Rashford.

honirelandboy

I think he believes he's a world class player or something and sulking when things don't go his way. He's not a world class player, be good at a club like Spurs or Villa and we should look to move him on.

GreatDane

Didn't I see Gary Neville interview him during a private pre-season training camp before the official started? Could he be exhausted already due to him over working himself?

Either way he needs to go to the bench, if he's to get some confidence back then he should get it as an impact sub.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Good penalty.

Yes and no. Rashford finding his form would help us on all levels imaginable, but our other attackers are also struggling due to the fact that Rashford has been dreadful.

It depends how you want to look at it. His goal involvement this season in the league is 2 goals and 2 assists in 12 matches, 4 in 12, so more or less every third match. Last season is still freakish as he was performing poorly before the World Cup and then had a period where everything was flying in, yet he was still doing better on average compared to where he is now. He went from 4 goals and 2 assists in 14 matches, essentially close to 1 every second match, to having a period where he in 11 league matches produced 10 goals and 1 assist, he then went down to 5 in 11. He had his most productive season to date, but he essentially scored 60% of his goals in a period of playing 33% of his total matches. Is he going to have a similar freakish period this season?

In terms of creating chances. Yes and no. We certainly don't create all that many chances for Højlund, who is our main striker, but if you look at the stats for most shots in the premier league, you'll find that Rashford has 37 shot attempts, 5th most in the league. The second most has 39. Haaland has the most with 51. Bruno Fernandes has 36. The next Manchester United player on the list is Garnacho, with 18, Antony with 16, Casemiro with 15, Højlund has 14.

Shot on targets however. Bruno has 16, so essentially 44,4% of his shots are on target. Rashford has 9 shots on target, 24%. Højlund has 5 on target, so 35,7%. Garnacho with 22%, Casemiro with 26%, Antony with 25%. Haaland has 57% of his shots on target.

76,9% of Rashfords touches are in the attacking 3rd of the pitch + inside the opponents box, by far the most progressive passes received, almost double of Garnacho. A rather large part of the problem here is that Rashford does stupid things that are unlikely to turn into a success. That many attempted shots, with an xg of 4,7, is fecking bonkers, 0,03 goals per shot.

Anyway, people can drown themselves in stats and be none the wiser. A large part of our setup is to get the ball to Rashford in positions where he can cause problems, but nothing is happening for him. Steve McClaren had a rant about it before he got hired by Ten Hag.

"He gets deterred too easily and doesn't fight through bad moments. He doesn't stay in the game. If he's not having a good game, he's not having a good game.

"If he's not having a good first half, he'll never have a good second half. I just look at him and think that boy needs help, off the field and through the manager."

Which i still think sums him up, especially this season. He looks a bit like Arsenal under Wenger when he kept complaining about other teams not allowing Arsenal to just play their beautiful football, if someone dares tackle him (which they often do, with large success), he'll go down easily and look over to the ref and complain for a bit.

It's fairly obvious just how important he is and how much we depend on Rashford performing at his highest level, so with the alternatives being what they are we can't really do anything else than crossing whatever we can cross and pray he hits form. In the long term, i just can't see how there's any way whatsoever we can continue to relay so heavily on a player with such problems throughout a season. We need Rashford to go back to the basic stuff, pick the easy options of passing the ball to teammates when they have space, go for the 90% stuff rather than shots from obscene angles, don't take on 2-3 oppositional players but take advantage of the fact that you are surrounded so there must be space somewhere else.

Guardiola doesn't need or want a player that primarily thrives in a system where he can run in behind, what he wants are highly functioning players rotating position and being a part of both build ups and retaining possession. Which, lets be honest, is hardly a system that suits Rashford.
Jaysus. That McLaren rant is damning (and accurate) When did he say that?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Wow. The full version is even more brutal.

He's brought in a sports pyschologist. He's got the talent and the ability. There's that one cornerstone which we call mentality, attitude, which he hasn't grasped yet. There are certain tools with which you can come out of bad times, so you play one bad pass and don't make it two or three.”

"You get back to playing simple again. He's brought in a sports pyschologist but a player needs to admit first that he's in the wrong, has a bad attitude and needs help."

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Put on instagram today that his cousin died recently and he was dedicating the goal to them
Good for him, condolences and best wishes on the very off chance you're reading this Marcus.

Nice touch from Bruno really as well.

Tbf his passing was poor in the game as people have been saying but he certainly worked very hard and did the job defensively. It's not a case of not caring and you can understand if he's having a hard time personally that the focus might be hard to find at the minute.

the_cliff

Good penalty.

Pretty good summary right there.

You know if Rashford is going to have a good game within 5 minutes of play.

The problem with Rashford is simple. He's a very inconsistent, up and down type of attacker. People have tried to find reasons for his dips in form (Injuries, haircuts, personal problems, missing a pen in the Euro final, Brothers legal problems, problems with his love life, etc.) when in reality we'll never have a full season of Rashford at his best. So we need to do what big clubs do in this situation, which is find someone who can maintain a certain level throughout the season and use Rashford as a rotational player.

I know we want it to work with Rashford, he's an academy product, a local lad, etc. But like Nani he shouldn't be the main man on this team and be reduced to a position that is more suitable for his ability.

Rashford is a Nani not a Rooney/Ronaldo, the sooner the club realises, the quicker we get back to the top.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Pretty good summary right there.

You know if Rashford is going to have a good game within 5 minutes of play.

The problem with Rashford is simple. He's a very inconsistent, up and down type of attacker. People have tried to find reasons for his dips in form (Injuries, haircuts, personal problems, missing a pen in the Euro final, Brothers legal problems, problems with his love life, etc.) when in reality we'll never have a full season of Rashford at his best. So we need to do what big clubs do in this situation, which is find someone who can maintain a certain level throughout the season and use Rashford as a rotational player.

I know we want it to work with Rashford, he's an academy product, a local lad, etc. But like Nani he shouldn't be the main man on this team and be reduced to a position that is more suitable for his ability.

Rashford is a Nani not a Rooney/Ronaldo, the sooner the club realises, the quicker we get back to the top.
I'd wish he were like Nani.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Jaysus. That McLaren rant is damning (and accurate) When did he say that?
Ole/Rangnick season.

But then he's worked with him since so it'd be interesting to see what he thinks of him now.

And as someone just mentioned, if his cousin has just died then it's gonna affect him. I think he's struggling mentally and if it becomes depression then it's fecking hard to do anything, let alone be on a football pitch playing properly in front of millions. He admitted as much during the Ole/Rangnick season so it's happening again by the looks of it.

Get the lad some help.

SER19

First time ive ever truly wondered if a player has a playing clause in a contract. I cant remember a player play so poorly for so long without time out of the side, and not just that, but rarely subbed too. It's shocking. Hopefully some miracle happens and it just clicks tonight, but he shouldn't be near the starting line up and it undermines the idea that form is rewarded.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not a word I often use to describe players, but that performance was genuinely disgraceful.

Gaidal

Put him, Martial, Varane and Case in a buy 1 get 4 package and send them to saudi

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
How much are we paying him again? £375k? £350k?