View full 2023-24 profile

4.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

pacifictheme

So? Get off social media if it's clearly affecting you...
Oh I agree. Replying to stuff in the early hours of the morning seems insane.

But he needs a social media presence to maintain marketability. That's why he is on it in general. Heaven forbid a football isn't maximising their marketability.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

But he needs a social media presence to maintain marketability. That's why he is on it in general. Heaven forbid a football isn't maximising their marketability.
He will be contractually obligated to do so anyway

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Doesn't matter mate. If it's affecting you then get off it, get someone else or pay an agency to deal with it if you can't learn to compartmentalise...

Would that matter to you?

..."Sorry guys I'm going to take a break from social media for REASONS.... these people will handle it for a while'

justsomebloke

I really don't think you can construe the totality of posting about Rashford here or elsewhere as "criticism". A good deal of it is way beyond reasonable, and "abuse" is a pretty fair description.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
You can highlight the word football all you like, I clearly wasn't speaking about the caf specifically, it was a comment about the amount of abuse he gets generally. Not what posters on red cafe think about Rashford's performances, but fair enough we're in the performance thread so maybe I should post it elsewhere.
Abuse online? Everyone knows Twitter is a cesspool. There's a reason some people avoid it. Rashford would do well to concentrate on football. Here's the thing: Anytime he under performs and gets criticism, he goes off about abuse, blurring the lines between it and criticism.

He could go to PSG, waltz around in Ligue 1 and turn up for the CL. Who knows, he might even win the CL with them and get a Ballon d'Or. That seems more likely than him winning the league with United. I think it's clear it's time for a separation.

reddevilz007

I’m pretty sure he is one of the players Mourinho was talking about, still being at the club.
Time to go, boy.

pacifictheme

Abuse online? Everyone knows Twitter is a cesspool. There's a reason some people avoid it. Rashford would do well to concentrate on football. Here's the thing: Anytime he under performs and gets criticism, he goes off about abuse, blurring the lines between it and criticism.

He could go to PSG, waltz around in Ligue 1 and turn up for the CL. Who knows, he might even win the CL with them and get a Ballon d'Or. That seems more likely than him winning the league with United. I think it's clear it's time for a separation.
The problem is that he probably does get abuse every time he plays badly. I am sure everyone does though and while I don't mean to excuse it, if you can not handle it then you need to distance yourself from it and he seems incapable of doing that.

despairingfool

INEOS need to bring in social media stipulations into contracts immediately. Too much nonsense being caused by "liked tweets" or responses to other posts inferring negativity towards the club or manager. Same with Sancho & Garnacho.

It's all unnecessary

afrocentricity

The problem is that he probably does get abuse every time he plays badly. I am sure everyone does though and while I don't mean to excuse it, if you can not handle it then you need to distance yourself from it and he seems incapable of doing that.
I would rather we kept him and got him back to his best, but if his heads gone and he's still choosing to go on social media and soak in all that negativity......

That's one of the things he can control and who wants to go on SoMe and read endless negativity anyway? Or liking lies on the gram? It's all a waste of time I'd rather be playing FIFA with Sancho but what do I know?

I'm not one for social media if that wasn't clear :lol:

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
No idea, but he has PR people for it anyways. It’s not as if he’s the one posting the majority on it, would even surprise me if he posted «enough is enough»

Imo, this is simply his PR people spinning the wheel in regards to increase in criticism

afrocentricity

No idea, but he has PR people for it anyways. It’s not as if he’s the one posting the majority on it, would even surprise me if he posted «enough is enough»

Imo, this is simply his PR people spinning the wheel in regards to increase in criticism
Bro if this is PR then fire them! How is any of it helping? One person's stating it's PR another is saying it's him on it in the early hours....

Bottom line, just get the feck off, go and spend your time doing something positive, or at least fun.

Leave someone else to respond to what needs a response and post bland filler at the required cadence

van Nistelrooy

Is he getting the amount of real life abuse Beckham got post 1998? This will be an unpopular opinion, but online abuse is not really abuse for a 27 year old man. I can understand if you're a teenage school kid, but an adult man (especially a multi millionaire) can switch off the phone and live in the real world with his friends and family.
Very good point. Beckham was hounded throughout the country with death threats and effigies of him being hung. Away game abuse was horrendous, but Becks played through it and won over the nation with his performances.

Rashford and/or his PR team are simply looking for excuses to defend his reputation and brand. There's bound to be some genuine abusive messages on social media out there, like many other underperforming players will receive, but there is no surprise this has been released on the back of one of Rashford's worst ever performances.

Criticism is not abuse!

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
marcus is acting like a victim again. He is being criticised for poor form this year. This is not “abuse” like he calls it. I think at this point, it is fair to say it is best for him and the club if he leaves.
Agree, except for the bolded. That point was 2 years ago latest.

afrocentricity

I don't understand the urge to justify criticism (which needs no justification) when posters are speaking about abuse. They are not the same thing.

Posting "Abuse is bad I agree....." followed with a "but he brings it on himself" is bollocks.... He doesn't do anything to justify abuse, let's not muddy the waters here.

justsomebloke

marcus is acting like a victim again. He is being criticised for poor form this year. This is not “abuse” like he calls it. I think at this point, it is fair to say it is best for him and the club if he leaves.
Oh, come on. Sure, some of it is criticism, which is fair. But quite a lot of it goes way beyond reasonable criticism. Just because you're not happy with how he's performed (and who is, including himself), that doesn't mean anything goes and everything is valid. There are people, here and elsewhere, who's happy to ramble on about how he's utterly useless, a disgrace, a championship level player if that etc. Which is idiocy, and also abuse. Apart from anything else, does anyone imagine that's likely to improve things?

But anyway, I see now that people here are turning their attention to advising him on how he should deal with social media, which is obviously really helpful. Doesn't he realise that it's all his own fault for reading Twitter? All those twats posting on it are clearly not to blame. :rolleyes:

van Nistelrooy

He doesn't do anything to justify abuse, let's not muddy the waters here.
Abuse is never OK.

Rashford lost all my respect though when he failed to apologise to all United fans for the Belfast debacle. Instead, he came out with an interview defending and excusing himself from all criticism. A slap in the face to fans of this club and even more so when performances have dropped even lower since.

Criticism, which is very well deserved, is not abuse.

afrocentricity

Abuse is never OK.

Rashford lost all my respect though when he failed to apologise to all United fans for the Belfast debacle. Instead, he came out with an interview defending and excusing himself from all criticism. A slap in the face to fans of this club and even more so when performances have dropped even lower since.

Criticism, which is very well deserved, is not abuse.
You replied to a post which included "I don't understand the urge to justify criticism (which needs no justification) when posters are speaking about abuse."

What compelled you?

The Purley King

Oh, come on. Sure, some of it is criticism, which is fair. But quite a lot of it goes way beyond reasonable criticism. Just because you're not happy with how he's performed (and who is, including himself), that doesn't mean anything goes and everything is valid. There are people, here and elsewhere, who's happy to ramble on about how he's utterly useless, a disgrace, a championship level player if that etc. Which is idiocy, and also abuse. Apart from anything else, does anyone imagine that's likely to improve things?
But anyway, I see now that people here are turning their attention to advising him on how he should deal with social media, which is obviously really helpful. Doesn't he realise that it's all his own fault for reading Twitter? All those twats posting on it are clearly not to blame. :rolleyes:
His performances this year have been genuinely disgraceful though. A consistent lack of effort and cowardice from physical challenges that would not be tolerated in a Sunday league game.
If he doesn't want to be called a disgrace to the shirt then don't "perform" disgracefully.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I don't understand the urge to justify criticism (which needs no justification) when posters are speaking about abuse. They are not the same thing.

Posting "Abuse is bad I agree....." followed with a "but he brings it on himself" is bollocks.... He doesn't do anything to justify abuse, let's not muddy the waters here.
That's the point I've been trying to make. Who is muddying the waters? When he gets criticized by the media for a poor performance, him or his people make a point about him receiving abuse.

van Nistelrooy

You replied to a post which included "I don't understand the urge to justify criticism (which needs no justification) when posters are speaking about abuse."

What compelled you?
Re-emphasising the issue here that criticism is being treated as abuse.

I was referring to Rashford "doesn't do anything"... He has angered fans with his off-field behaviour.

afrocentricity

That's the point I've been trying to make. Who is muddying the waters? When he gets criticized by the media for a poor performance, him or his people make a point about him receiving abuse.
Right now? You.... You are assuming when they say "abuse" that they mean "criticism"

Re-emphasising the issue here that criticism is being treated as abuse.
By who? Give some examples

LInkash

I'm still holding out hope for Rashford, he played through a fractured back for us, he was carrying around a machine to heal his back, that's insane so I'd give me another season to prove himself in hopefully a better team next season.

justsomebloke

His performances this year have been genuinely disgraceful though. A consistent lack of effort and cowardice from physical challenges that would not be tolerated in a Sunday league game.
If he doesn't want to be called a disgrace to the shirt then don't "perform" disgracefully.
Well, that's really just the sort of frankly idiotic comment I mean. "Consistent lack of effort"? You actually think it's reasonable to consider it a fact that he hasn't even been trying? "Cowardice"? "would not be tolerated in a Sunday League game"? Really? You seriously think that if someone turned up for a Sunday League game and did exactly what MR does on the pitch, they'd be considered to perform intolerably and told off for it?

I think if you think twice about those words, you'll know how over the top they are. You've no basis for them, and they're not remotely reasonable.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
Bro if this is PR then fire them! How is any of it helping? One person's stating it's PR another is saying it's him on it in the early hours....

Bottom line, just get the feck off, go and spend your time doing something positive, or at least fun.

Leave someone else to respond to what needs a response and post bland filler at the required cadence
It's not that long ago he did his large players tribunal puff piece.

"I can take any criticism. I can take any headline. From podcasts, social media and the papers. I can take it. But if you start questioning my commitment to this club and my love for football and bringing my family into it, then I’d simply ask you to have a bit more humanity. You know what, though? If I’m honest honest, a part of me doesn't mind it when people doubt me. When everyone is telling me they love me, I get suspicious. I know the way the world works. I had to become a man really young. Always had to rely on myself. Whenever I’ve been in my darkest of places, and it feels like half the world is against me, I tend to go off by myself for a couple days and reset, and then I’m fine. "

where he rounded off with

" We just have to keep working, and that starts with me. "if you back me, good. If you doubt me, even better".

I mean, it sounds good on paper, but if you don't live up to it then what? His whole night out in Belfast gave him a chance to reset and use it as a turning point, but he just hasn't done that.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

PR are doing what he wants them to do. He gives them general instructions on how to work on his image and they take care of the rest.
At least that's how I imagine it

pacifictheme

I think people can doubt his commitment to the club. He's supposed to be living his childhood dream. He looks like he's living a nightmare and would rather be anywhere else.

Maybe that's because of the abuse, or maybe he actually can't handle genuine and deserved criticism. Maybe he's upset because he knows he's been shite and can't get out of it. Who knows.

Ultimately he has been woeful almost all season and he doesn't help himself (not an excuse for the abuse) when he scores a single goal and starts giving out at the fans about it with his celebration.

The Purley King

Well, that's really just the sort of frankly idiotic comment I mean. "Consistent lack of effort"? You actually think it's reasonable to consider it a fact that he hasn't even been trying? "Cowardice"? "would not be tolerated in a Sunday League game"? Really? You seriously think that if someone turned up for a Sunday League game and did exactly what MR does on the pitch, they'd be considered to perform intolerably and told off for it?

I think if you think twice about those words, you'll know how over the top they are. You've no basis for them, and they're not remotely reasonable.
I see what I see when he plays. When he lets opposition players waltz round him whilst he jogs. When he doesn't track back. When he loses the ball, sits on the ground and waves his arms in the air instead of getting up and trying to win it back. When he refuses to make any runs in behind and demands the ball to feet every time. Yes - that is him not trying hard enough and I see that every single game. Look at Garnacho or Bruno - those are players who you can tell are giving 100%.
He bottles out of every 50/50 challenge - I call that cowardice. You see lads playing on a Sunday morning that will at least get stuck in and if they don't they get a bollocking.

I've thought about those words plenty and there is nothing over the top about them at all. The basis for them has been watching Rashford in every game that has been televised in the UK this season.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
So many hateful posters :lol:

Rashford, get the feck off social media what are you addicted or something? It's not a necessity to and do other things.... Social media addiction is serious I know, but feck me is it really a hard habit to kick? Like really? I don't think it is...
Ye he really needs to get of it, Twitter in particular

Very weird for a high profile player to be quoting some random small account in the middle of the night

He's obviously not in a good place at the moment sadly

van Nistelrooy

By who? Give some examples
Let Rashford give the 'examples'. Just mentioning 'abuse' makes everyone think back to what happened after the Euros, but there has been no evidence of that.

He's in the worst form of his career and has been all season. Every game brings fresh criticism from fans and pundits. Then he gets booed at Wembley. The critical social media posts must be pretty overwhelming, but it doesn't change to abuse just because countless people are all saying the same thing.

Winrar

If he can bring half the passion that he shows in his social media outbursts, rants, whatever you call it, and put that energy where it matters on the pitch, he'd be far better off right now as a player.

Racial abuses are of course not okay, but the nonchalance he shows on the pitch genuinely warrants criticism, and if he can't handle genuine criticism then it'd be best for both parties to move him on, whether it be for his career, or his mental health, or both.

EI Beatle

Called it when he scored a goal at OT then did that immature hand gesture celebration, he's not got the mindset or right attitude.

He's needs a reset somewhere different for all parties.

honirelandboy

I think for his own sanity he's better off moving. I do believe he possibly has mental health issues with the pointing to his head when celebrating. Players have left United and went onto have successful careers else where like Beckham, Ruud, Stam etc. The thing with Rashford he is walking around the pitch half the time and not putting in enough effort. Rashford is turning into Sancho number two now unable to take criticism.
If Rashford actually showed 110% effort on the pitch every game and stopped with the terrible body language he wouldn't be getting a quarter of the abuse. Anthony is not getting half of the abuse Rashford is getting because at least he works hard. Time for a massive clear out in the Summer with Rashford and Sancho and AWB to move on. They'll never put in 100% effort.

We need players now with the mentaility of Rooney and Roy Keane, warriors who'd die for the badge instead of these type of players listening and dancing to hip hop music the following day in the dressing room after getting beat by Liverpool

JediSith

I saw people said he posted that tweet around midnight UK time. Instead of resting or catching some sleep, he was doom scrolling twitter and stumbled upon a barrage of negative comments directed at him. It appears that he's deeply affected by the criticism hurled his way, which could explain his recent slump in performances on the pitch. It's a vicious cycle: the more people talk negatively about him, the more it impacts his game, perpetuating the cycle of criticism.
The criticism that’s come his way is because of his poor form and the fact that he appears to be undroppable. Very similar to Harry Maguire a while back. Respect to Harry he’s actually accepted his demotion but been one of our best players this season when he has played, and played quite regularly due to injuries.

Rashford is still held up, probably believes himself, that he’s our most important player. That kind dissonance always causes issues.

Tango80

He plays like someone who doesn't like to play football.

I don't believe it's arrogance. It looks more like someone who's potentially depressed.