Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Very good point. Beckham was hounded throughout the country with death threats and effigies of him being hung. Away game abuse was horrendous, but Becks played through it and won over the nation with his performances.

Rashford and/or his PR team are simply looking for excuses to defend his reputation and brand. There's bound to be some genuine abusive messages on social media out there, like many other underperforming players will receive, but there is no surprise this has been released on the back of one of Rashford's worst ever performances.

Criticism is not abuse!
Quote from Becks:

“Times have changed. If social media was around when I was going through that time in '98, it would have been a whole different story.”

Valencia Shin Crosses

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
fecking spot on. And some have the gall to say we are piss poor fans for not backing him anymore.
Bro a lot of you are crawling Twitter posting and sharing chronological accounts of his misdeeds over the years, to justify...... what was it again?

None of it is necessary so I can only assume you get something out of it..... Are you a moany cnut by chance? Go on..... you can admit it..... Go oooooornnnn???

van Nistelrooy

Quote from Becks:

“Times have changed. If social media was around when I was going through that time in '98, it would have been a whole different story.”
The advice would still be the same as it is now... Get off social media!

Valencia Shin Crosses

Bro a lot of you are crawling Twitter posting and sharing chronological accounts of his misdeeds over the years, to justify...... what was it again?

None of it is necessary so I can only assume you get something out of it..... Are you a moany cnut by chance? Go on..... you can admit it..... Go oooooornnnn???
To justify… wanting him sold? Wishing we’d get rid of him? I’m in the right place right? This is Redcafe where we discuss matters about Manchester United, right? I log on to debate and discuss the football club I support. I’m not just sitting fantasizing about a footballer all day but yeah when the debate is over “ohhh he’s so abused how can anyone not support Rashford” I think it’s valid to present counterpoints.

LInkash

Going to a tournament injured and playing those 87mins for England were worth ruining the following season?

That season where he scored 6 goals and got 2 assists.

So yes, United aren't his priority then are they?
It's all well and good saying that in hindsight, he didn't know that it would turn out like that.

ForeverRed1

this pretty much 100%^^

If theres personal stuff behind the scenes thats not allowing you play to anywhere near the best of your ability, then your more than likely a hinderance to the team... you shouldnt be playing.
If your form is simply miles off the boil, your more than likely a hinderance to the team... you shouldnt be playing.
If your attitude stinks and you make zero effort in games, then you are def a hinderance to the team... you shouldnt be playing.
If you have not shown the overall effort in training and how you carry yourself representing the club, you a hinderance to the team... you shouldnt be playing.
and so on...

This should go for every single player, and be clear for every single player. Set down a marker, let everyone know, from the kids to the veterans, they all fall under the same rules.

But as we have seen in the past, Manchester United doesnt work this way (im hoping it does soon under INEOS)

And with Rashford, if he is fit for the final few few games (& FA cup final) he'll walk straight into the team regardless of all the above, with pretty predictable and inevitable results. Ten Hags insisting with sticking players in awful form will be the end of him. simple as,
I do wonder if there’s something in his contract where he has to play a certain amount etc or something more going on behind the scenes because there’s no way ETH thinks this level is expectable, especially with the type of football he likes and type of footballer he likes. There’s got to be more to it. 100%.

somethings got to give especially now he has come out and said something. Over to you INEOS i guess. It’s a reflection of the constant shite we have had this season off the field to deal with, it’s constant and it would be nice if it could be dealt with by the new team instead of leaving the manager with more things to deal with other than football coaching. This is what the club needs. Support and proper guidance

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I do wonder if there’s something in his contract where he has to play a certain amount etc or something more going on behind the scenes because there’s no way ETH thinks this level is expectable, especially with the type of football he likes and type of footballer he likes. There’s got to be more to it. 100%.
Sorry, you think there has to be something in Marcus Rashford’s contract to explain him starting over a player who hadn’t scored or created a single goal until Newport, and still hasn’t scored in the league?

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
You can't make an argument that abuse is justified, it just isn't. There is an abusive element with some of the language used at Rashford that we'd all be better off without - stuff like 'useless cnut' I've seen, or similar, can't really argue it isn't abusive (annoys me a bit that you feel like you have to say something that obvious, just in case the sanctimonious twat brigade here twist something you say into something that makes you a legitimate target). Nevertheless, it's a legitimate worry that something that could be described as 'objective assessment' starts to fall under the 'abuse' umbrella, which tbf would not surprise me.

Fundamentally, Rashford's performances, over a huge sample size, are not consistently good enough to be a starter for this great club. No one needs to be abused - no need for various little pieces in the papers and public statements - it's just not good enough, and that's all that needs to be said. it is fecking bonkers that the 'powers that be' have let this situation develop like this. I would argue not one of those contracts was a good idea for Rashford at various stages. It's a legitimate argument that the club see Rashford as an asset in terms of marketing, as well as a player. This is fundamentally what drives fans mad, as none of us give a shite how marketable he is. We just want to see top players who look like they will do anything it takes to win. You get that with Garnacho, Hojlund, Bruno, Maguire. They might not all be good enough but feck at least it looks like they got the right idea! Blame the fecking club, where the blame actually belongs.

ForeverRed1

Sorry, you think there has to be something in Marcus Rashford’s contract to explain him starting over a player who hadn’t scored or created a single goal until Newport, and still hasn’t scored in the league?
If you’re referring to Antony he plays on the right generally. Regarding player contracts it’s not unheard of for them to have loads of conditions and clauses in their contracts. Of course it’s speculation and we don’t know barely anything that’s going on really but it happens.

More to the point though, not playing him would protect him until he is ready to step up and give the desired levels. Something isn’t right here, whatever way you look at it and constantly chucking him into the pit won’t help him. It doesn’t benefit us on the pitch either. Although again, we don’t know what is going on so it’s hard to say. All we do know, is something is amiss and this whole situation isn’t sustainable for all sides of the party.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He needs a fresh start in the summer, I get he loves the club but he hasn’t been happy for months. If we can pick up 50/60m for him then that would be a decent deal and enough for a replacement. Will be sad to see it end but it isn’t doing anyone good, he can’t keep getting chance after chance under every new manager we have. Didn’t Mourinho try to sell him when he was here but it got rejected?

Tango80

He's not had a great season but come on, let's not sugar coat it. It's gone beyond criticism. It's abuse plain and simple. And not for the first time this has happened to a United player.

Our fans have form for it. Happened to Maguire. Happened to DDG. Now it's Rashford. There always has to be that one player that warrants a pile on. If Rashford leaves, someone else will get targeted. We all know it'll happen.

Needs to leave social media for his own sake.

zenith

Too early indeed. We should wait until he’s 31 and nobody wants him.
He scored 30 goals last season and was a huge part of our relative success. The primary source of goals in the team. Ofcourse we should give him another chance.

There are far too many under performers we should look to get rid off before him.

He needs competition though

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Footballers should stop minding twitters and social media and using it as "look at me, im abused". It's a social media cess pit everyone got dog abused down there including Messi and Ronaldo from all over the world.

I'm not condoning online abuse but it's the internet. I could post my picture sitting around feeding ducks and people will find something wrong in it let alone being the poster boy of the biggest club with millions of fanbase.

Rojofiam

Allows garnacho to compete with him for the left wing and gives us adequate cover on the right
That's true.

Not sure Olise would be my choice, though. Maybe Nico Williams would be a better option. Can play both wings, just like Garnacho.

Malons

Still no examples of abuse to be honest. Being criticial of his performances, thinking he doesn't work hard enough, accusing him of being a bottler afraid of physicality is all stuff and more that Sir Alex Ferguson would have verbally ripped his head off for at half time after managing him for 45 minutes. The fact Goldstein hasn't ever been to a match doesn't make that 'abuse' either.

Someone said it earlier on, he's trying to blur the lines between stick and abuse, because nobody can defend abuse and therefore if the narrative is that he gets abused - everyone's going to be sympathetic. Or at least, the should be.

"Should Marcus Rashford be absued online?" of course not. Not online, in person. Nowhere. Everyone agrees with that. The wider public won't know the context behing that question. "Are fans entitled to question the commitment of a £350k footballer who's looked poor and disinterested for over a year?"yeilds an entirely different answer. That's why the criticism is being presented as non-specified 'abuse'. But you can't really change your social media profile black and act hard done by if the thing you're winging about is a bloke on the radio suggesting you shouldn't go to the Euros. Not many violins will be out for that.

It's relatively smart PR in the sense it will work very well with those who don't folllow the game that closely and won't necessarily realise that the 'abuse' is someone making a compliation video of his dreadful performances.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Ye he really needs to get of it, Twitter in particular

Very weird for a high profile player to be quoting some random small account in the middle of the night

He's obviously not in a good place at the moment sadly
We're lucky he hasn't reached Kevin Durant's level of interaction with absolute randoms over Twitter

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Terrible the way social media influences players nowadays. The likes of Mark Goldbridge genuinely have influence which is just sad.

mk7

Still no examples of abuse to be honest. Being criticial of his performances, thinking he doesn't work hard enough, accusing him of being a bottler afraid of physicality is all stuff and more that Sir Alex Ferguson would have verbally ripped his head off for at half time after managing him for 45 minutes. The fact Goldstein hasn't ever been to a match doesn't make that 'abuse' either.

Someone said it earlier on, he's trying to blur the lines between stick and abuse, because nobody can defend abuse and therefore if the narrative is that he gets abused - everyone's going to be sympathetic. Or at least, the should be.

"Should Marcus Rashford be absued online?" of course not. Not online, in person. Nowhere. Everyone agrees with that. The wider public won't know the context behing that question. "Are fans entitled to question the commitment of a £350k footballer who's looked poor and disinterested for over a year?"yeilds an entirely different answer. That's why the criticism is being presented as non-specified 'abuse'. But you can't really change your social media profile black and act hard done by if the thing you're winging about is a bloke on the radio suggesting you shouldn't go to the Euros. Not many violins will be out for that.

It's relatively smart PR in the sense it will work very well with those who don't folllow the game that closely and won't necessarily realise that the 'abuse' is someone making a compliation video of his dreadful performances.
I am not doing what I am being paid for so I will not tolerate any feedback on my performances.

We should have never given out that kind of contract. Let this be a lesson.

In Rainbows

He scored 30 goals last season and was a huge part of our relative success. The primary source of goals in the team. Ofcourse we should give him another chance.

There are far too many under performers we should look to get rid off before him.

He needs competition though
2 of the last 3 seasons were awful. You're really running the risk of ruining any hope of selling him off. For how much he makes, it becomes impossible to get rid of him if he has another mediocre season. Find someone who will fit the next manager better than Rashford. He's not irreplaceable at all. Even the best players leaving doesn't spell the end for the club's next season. See Kane, Coutinho, etc...

QuietOn Fortune

Liverpool fans are more supportive of their players than United fans.

United fans think they are more important to the club and look at the players from above, judging them and trying to move them on.

Liverpool fans support their team by watching them and supporting them from underneath instead.

Maguire's abuse was the worst thing ive ever seen from Manchester United fans.

Making Meme's of him and turning him in to a piece of dirt that they want out of this club.

Our fans are just horrible.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

United fans think they are more important to the club and look at the players from above, judging them and trying to move them on.

Liverpool fans support their team by watching them and supporting them from underneath instead.

Making Meme's of him and turning him in to a piece of dirt that they want out of this club.

Nice.

Pughnichi

I’m actually with mark goldbridge on this one.

he needs to do what’s right for his long term future…which won’t get solved in a few weeks.

he should forget about the euros. Just get away from football. Reset and come back fighting next season as strong as he can be.

Given his injury, I’d even suggest him finishing his season now to ensure a longer break

Malons

It makes sense to me that those defending him are citing YouTubers and stats and Twitter accounts that not many of us critcising him for his effort and performance on the field, watch, cite or are aware of. Because that's the world those who aren't able to form an opinion on how someone has played, or is playing, without seeing a stat they can draw a conclusion from, are obsessed with stuff the rest of us simply aren't.

The rest of us see him play, don't like what we see, discuss it and come to a conclsuion. Then there's the other side insisting he can't have played poorly or been on a bad run of form because "29% more G+A contributions over 3 of the last 5 seasons vs right-footed, left-wingers who are either Scopios, Aquarius or any of the other water or fire signs, when you exclude injury time and only count performance aganst clubs that finished in an even-numbered position in the previous season. Any REAL fan would know this. Our fans are scum!"

This is why the gaslighting that's gone on is happening the way it is. Because some fans aren't able to grasp the concept of someone reaching an opinion on what they think of a player, unless they've read that opinion first elsewhere. This is what's behind the allegaiton people are merely following what Goldbridge - or whatever he's called - says. We're not. We have no interest in him. Just because the only opinion you're capable of forming is whatever a Google search or @TopRed39Stats_United4ever tells you, don't lump us all in together.

No question this is what we're seeing. Those who are defending Rashford questioning where those criticial of him have lifted/borrowed their opinion from because they themselves are so led by stats, youtubers and people who say things like 'fam' a lot when discussing the game. Online football chat has increasngly gone down this path. The whole "Well I've watched the game but I'll need to wait until the stats are published and what the Twitter comments say before I form any opinion on what i've just seen" - is why players like Rashford get away with it. You might think he walked around the pitch shamefully, but actually he made more key passes than any other player in the opening 12 mintues and had some really good other stats two years ago. So ner!

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I’m actually with mark goldbridge on this one.

he needs to do what’s right for his long term future…which won’t get solved in a few weeks.

he should forget about the euros. Just get away from football. Reset and come back fighting next season as strong as he can be.

Given his injury, I’d even suggest him finishing his season now to ensure a longer break
Trouble is this is a cycle that keeps repeating himself.
I think he needs to get out of his comfort zone which is Man Utd.

didz

We must sale or actively demote him from key player duty. He needs to become a squad player like Maguire became.
This would actually suit Rashford down to the ground. I've always maintained that he needs less football to play better, with some of his absolute best performances for us coming off the bench.

You compare his minutes to similar players at other clubs and he's getting far too many.

Red00012

He's not had a great season but come on, let's not sugar coat it. It's gone beyond criticism. It's abuse plain and simple. And not for the first time this has happened to a United player.

Our fans have form for it. Happened to Maguire. Happened to DDG. Now it's Rashford. There always has to be that one player that warrants a pile on. If Rashford leaves, someone else will get targeted. We all know it'll happen.

Needs to leave Utd for his / Utd own sake.
Fixed that for you

Lee565

I have no doubt rashford is receiving vile abuse in social media but why does he put himself through the cesspit of twitter, he should just remove himself from places like x and maybe his mental health will omprove because Twitter is a place where racist, bots and conspiracy theorists thrive

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If we stick with him next season we need to revert his role to a forward rather than an out and out winger. This season he is too often too deep and he’s no good in that role, you’d be better off replacing him at that point.
If we do sell him it makes sense to go somewhere like PSG or even Arsenal I think he’d be very good for.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
United fans are dickheads on the whole.

Rashford is not performing at all this season so he’s not going to get the space to try and sort it out.
The best thing would be finding him a new club with less pressure

but again, I suspect he’s falling out of love with football and it won’t surprise me if the next news about him this summer is that he’s retiring from football

didz

United fans are dickheads on the whole.

Rashford is not performing at all this season so he’s not going to get the space to try and sort it out.
The best thing would be finding him a new club with less pressure

but again, I suspect he’s falling out of love with football and it won’t surprise me if the next news about him this summer is that he’s retiring from football
I think it would surprise me enormously if anyone walked away from over £60m.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

:lol: you're definitely on the wind up.

The scousers are more supportive of their players because they've seen a lot of those players win the PL and CL in recent seasons.

You should've seen how they treated the likes of Paul Konchesky during their dark days under Hogdson.

Or even how Karius was hounded out of the club after a couple of mistakes. Their fanbase was more inclined to abuse him as they hadn't seen their team win a trophy in several years.

Use your brain.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I would love to find out what the problem is with Marcus.
At 26 he should be in his prime.
It doesn't seem to be an injury problem. More likely a mental issue.

He never seems to be confident about taking a player on. Almost like he knows he is going to fail. Because he very often seems to stop before he tries to go past.
And of course defenders know exactly what he is going to do because there is no variety in what he does.