View full 2023-24 profile

4.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

GMoore23

He seems to be a little selfish when on left and when can’t cut in puts the head down and hopes for bit of luck.

when he went to the right at the end he was getting crosses in because he wasn’t comfortable cutting in. Might work out better for us and hojlund if he plays there a bit more often.
He completely downs tools when forced to play on the right which is another negative regards his character.

Sancho99

Not sure what's happening with him this season. He's reverted back to pre last season's form. Body language is shocking and he just looks completely off the pace.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
His attitude is a disgrace and epitomises everything that's wrong with us at the minute. Will be glad to see the back of him, sooner rather than later hopefully.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You’ve all gone mad. He wasn’t great against Brighton, especially towards the end, but he played well against Bayern. Whenever we get on top and pin the opposition back the way the manager wants he looks different class. Obviously struggles when we shit the bed and completely give up our grip on the game. But isn’t it obvious why that happens?

Did he have one or two assists last night?

Drizzle

I disagree, Garnacho did more in his 20 minutes.
We know Garnacho can play 20 minute cameos against tired defences.

We also know he usually plays poorly when he starts. And his defensive workrate is not much better than Rashford's. And he's basically half the player at this stage.

Idxomer

You’ve all gone mad. He wasn’t great against Brighton, especially towards the end, but he played well against Bayern. Whenever we get on top and pin the opposition back the way the manager wants he looks different class. Obviously struggles when we shit the bed and completely give up our grip on the game. But isn’t it obvious why that happens?

One of his better games since his purple patch last season for sure. He wasn't selfish and the assist for Hojlund was quality and took Bayern defenders by surprise. He and Martial also linked up brilliantly for the 2nd goal.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
The whole team is suffering right now so its too short term to make a definitive call on individual players. People don’t talk about Rashfords lack of aggression or work rate when he’s finishing off and creating chances but when he’s not he’s basically a passenger. I can kind of understand it as if he’s going up and down the wing all match he’s not always going to have that explosiveness when he needs it in the final third. He doesn’t work as hard as Antony did on the other side but he’s x10 more productive. He still got an assist last night. I think with our new pressing midfield creating high turnovers, the defenders and GK ability to find him over the top and his burgeoning partnership with Rasmus we will see the best of him again soon. I still sold him in FPL as we are a hot mess right now and he’s very expensive. It’ll get better again though.

Doracle

People don’t talk about Rashfords lack of aggression or work rate when he’s finishing off and creating chances but when he’s not he’s basically a passenger.
He has played 6 matches this season and been heavily involved in 6 goals (1 goal, 2 assists, 1 penalty won and 2 other goals where he played a significant role in the build up). We’ve only scored 3 goals he hasn’t been involved in. He’s the opposite of a passenger - he’s basically the life-raft without which our attack would sink without trace.

afatzp

Rashford spent least efforts pressing and tracking back and have been like this since 2nd half of last season. Anyone denying this fact should check his eyes. If this was not corrected, that means ETH set the team up for it. Reason is also simple:

1. Rashford is the only profile we have that could beat opponent in 1 on 1 situation and has fair shooting skills.
2. His stamina and high gravity do not allow him run all game and still maintain efficiency in offensive round

For his role in this tactics, every attack go through him, either final key passes or shooting chances . So you can't say that because his G&A contribution counted majority of our goals therefore he is not the problem. In the current tactics, he will be always contributing the major attack threat of the team. You know the result is ? Last reason Man Utd scored the least in the Big 6 , less than Brighten and the same as Brentford.

If we continue such tactics, Hojlund would be no different from Weghorst. He would just running around to distract opponents' CBs and do all the dirty work for Rashford, such as pressing and link-up play. I sincerely don't believe this would bring us back the title.

stw2022

A forward at any club that's played considerably more games that any other foward over a two or three period will always likely have contributed the most goals, assists and 'goal contributions' than anyone else in that period.

That by itself isn't a reason why we should pretend any considerable flaws and technical or attitudinal deficiencies don't exist.

It's almost like arguing that a goalkeeper that cost a team goals with constant errors shouldn't ever be dropped because in the last two seasons he's stopped more shots than anyone else in the team. Of course he fecking has.

For Rashford not to be the biggest GA contributor in recent seasons on average would be bizarre.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
He has played 6 matches this season and been heavily involved in 6 goals (1 goal, 2 assists, 1 penalty won and 2 other goals where he played a significant role in the build up). We’ve only scored 3 goals he hasn’t been involved in. He’s the opposite of a passenger - he’s basically the life-raft without which our attack would sink without trace.
This is why no one should use stats when evaluating a player. Bruno Fernandes got 2 assists in the Bayern game, can anyone say he wasn't a passenger in that game? Point is, Rashford has spent several 90 minutes basically ignoring his duties when it comes to pressing, tracking back, and some fans forgive him cause he scored/assisted 1 chance the entire game.

People talking as if he doesn't play, then no goals/assists will happen. You do know you'll have someone else playing in his place and it will still be 11vs11 right? This is like RvN all over again, "who is going to get 30 goals in this team???"
Garnacho is more than capable of doing Rashford's role on the wings, and as a natural winger he'd probably suit the shape of the team more. He's not going to score as much as Rashford, but our entire team shape during attack and defense will be far better and more consistent. This will help create more chances and possibly have more goals spread over the team.

For me, doing minimal pressing, minimal tracking back, and minimal defensive work, dithering over the ball staring down his man for 5 seconds (while the other team in this time is regaining defensive shape), add to it the sulking body language game in game out will always carry more weight than the 1 goal/assist he might get every 1-2 games.

Its like in basketball when your star players is having a terrible night but hits the game winning 3 pointer. Yeah we all celebrate the win (goal in this case) but we all know he didn't have a good game and its worrying if its several games in a row.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The whole team is suffering right now so its too short term to make a definitive call on individual players. People don’t talk about Rashfords lack of aggression or work rate when he’s finishing off and creating chances but when he’s not he’s basically a passenger. I can kind of understand it as if he’s going up and down the wing all match he’s not always going to have that explosiveness when he needs it in the final third. He doesn’t work as hard as Antony did on the other side but he’s x10 more productive. He still got an assist last night. I think with our new pressing midfield creating high turnovers, the defenders and GK ability to find him over the top and his burgeoning partnership with Rasmus we will see the best of him again soon. I still sold him in FPL as we are a hot mess right now and he’s very expensive. It’ll get better again though.
The sign of a great player worthy of 350k / week is doing the basic rights, and topping it off with goals / assist.

You can't just rely on individual greatness if you want to sustain any serious title challenge

Swiss_Red89

This is why no one should use stats when evaluating a player. Bruno Fernandes got 2 assists in the Bayern game, can anyone say he wasn't a passenger in that game? Point is, Rashford has spent several 90 minutes basically ignoring his duties when it comes to pressing, tracking back, and some fans forgive him cause he scored/assisted 1 chance the entire game.

People talking as if he doesn't play, then no goals/assists will happen. You do know you'll have someone else playing in his place and it will still be 11vs11 right? This is like RvN all over again, "who is going to get 30 goals in this team???"
Garnacho is more than capable of doing Rashford's role on the wings, and as a natural winger he'd probably suit the shape of the team more. He's not going to score as much as Rashford, but our entire team shape during attack and defense will be far better and more consistent. This will help create more chances and possibly have more goals spread over the team.

For me, doing minimal pressing, minimal tracking back, and minimal defensive work, dithering over the ball staring down his man for 5 seconds (while the other team in this time is regaining defensive shape), add to it the sulking body language game in game out will always carry more weight than the 1 goal/assist he might get every 1-2 games.

Its like in basketball when your star players is having a terrible night but hits the game winning 3 pointer. Yeah we all celebrate the win (goal in this case) but we all know he didn't have a good game and its worrying if its several games in a row.
Bruno didn't have 2 assists vs Bayern.

Big Ray

He was good against Bayern, more like it from him. But I was at the Brighton game and he didn’t look interested after a decent first 15 minutes. Totally gave up on the press from the goal kicks (and working hard in general) and once that happens the other players immediately think what’s the point because what is the point unless everyone does it. He can run when he wants covering over 10km against pool last season at home. He just can’t be arsed most of the time. You look at Salah and he would run all day.

Now this morning luckhurst is reporting player discontent with managers tactics. It’s like deja fecking vu. We all know the members of that clique from before, with two of them refusing moves in the last window. The leakers need removed if they’re not willing to work hard and buy into the manager’s philosophy.

Someone

Something

He's still one of our most effective players, but he's far from what we expect him to be, which causes the constant disappointment in his performances. Rashford is supposed to be our main star. On his best he's capable of doing some incredible things, but if you reflect over the past 5 years all you'll see is inconsistency and some purple patches. We aren't going to close the gap on big clubs if our best players are incapable of pulling off one good full season. He's also incredibly lazy off the ball which can be infuriating. Not good enough.

Em765

He's still one of our most effective players, but he's far from what we expect him to be, which causes the constant disappointment in his performances. Rashford is supposed to be our main star. On his best he's capable of doing some incredible things, but if you reflect over the past 5 years all you'll see is inconsistency and some purple patches. We aren't going to close the gap on big clubs if our best players are incapable of pulling off one good full season. He's also incredibly lazy off the ball which can be infuriating. Not good enough.

I do agree.
Rashford cannot be your star player if you want good things.
He is wildly inconsistent so he goes from looking like Mbappe one day to looking like your average Everton RW the next match or two or even three.
Its simply not good enough.

Thom Merrilin

@Pogue Mahone I just watched Rashford's debut season and here are the numbers. He scored 8 goals, ~13% from headers and ~13% from weak foot.

From his first 15 goals of last season ~13% were from his head and ~7% were from his weak foot.

The stats plus the eye test suggest to me that he hasn't improved much if at all.

I've been too busy to watch the second 15 of his goals from last year but I will try to do so and get back to you.

Edit: I guess I'm trying to say that he hasn't added to his tool belt but has instead refined the one or two tools that he does have.

jesperjaap

Not sure what's happening with him this season. He's reverted back to pre last season's form. Body language is shocking and he just looks completely off the pace.
I think he reverted back to that form the end of last season but he was riding on such a wave it wasnt really noticed

jesperjaap

Saw somewhere Paul Parrker criticising Rashford, not sure if anyone else seen it?

Though personally I thought it was a little over critical, his general sentiment nailed it for me:

Former United defender Paul Parker on Marcus Rashford:"I was criticising Rashford when he scored goals because I wanted him to provide more for the team. Now, he is not scoring goals anymore, and his decision-making is still poor,"
"Everyone was saying that he was winning Man United games, but the only thing they could come up with is that he was scoring goals.
"It has taken people a while, but now they are finally seeing that he is not contributing to anything.
"He should be because he is a fast winger with decent technical abilities, but in fact, he is just a selfish player who lives on the back of being good in February.
"I think that Man United rushed in too quickly to give him this huge contract. Overall, he has been delivering a poor return throughout his Man United career. That's a fact."
"What he is doing is something you would expect to see in a schoolyard from a petulant child. You wouldn't expect it to happen at Old Trafford. Not in a million years.
"But he does that every single time, and it shows me that he might not be a player for Man United after all. He needs to change his game and his attitude."

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I love him and i rate him. But his attitude annoys me a lot.
When he became like this? Under Solskjaer? Under LVG he was young hard working player with right attitude. Under Jose he also worked hard which was the reason why Jose liked him a lot. Now it is like watching Mbappe (without having end product like Mbappe). Sulking, switching off, selfish and giving up when he loses a ball. Erik must have serious talk with him.

Born2Lose

Saw somewhere Paul Parrker criticising Rashford, not sure if anyone else seen it?

Though personally I thought it was a little over critical, his general sentiment nailed it for me:

Former United defender Paul Parker on Marcus Rashford:"I was criticising Rashford when he scored goals because I wanted him to provide more for the team. Now, he is not scoring goals anymore, and his decision-making is still poor,"
"Everyone was saying that he was winning Man United games, but the only thing they could come up with is that he was scoring goals.
"It has taken people a while, but now they are finally seeing that he is not contributing to anything.
"He should be because he is a fast winger with decent technical abilities, but in fact, he is just a selfish player who lives on the back of being good in February.
"I think that Man United rushed in too quickly to give him this huge contract. Overall, he has been delivering a poor return throughout his Man United career. That's a fact."
"What he is doing is something you would expect to see in a schoolyard from a petulant child. You wouldn't expect it to happen at Old Trafford. Not in a million years.
"But he does that every single time, and it shows me that he might not be a player for Man United after all. He needs to change his game and his attitude."
Fair points, as an FB he'd know what a nightmare it is to play behind someone who doesn't put in a shift defensively.

stw2022

I love him and i rate him. But his attitude annoys me a lot.
When he became like this? Under Solskjaer? Under LVG he was young hard working player with right attitude. Under Jose he also worked hard which was the reason why Jose liked him a lot. Now it is like watching Mbappe (without having end product like Mbappe). Sulking, switching off, selfish and giving up when he loses a ball. Erik must have serious talk with him.
It's been in his game for a while. I think the outside adulation went to his head, personally. Young people in sport, music or entertainment developing bad habits and bad attitudes after a period of the world treating them like a superstar is quite common.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Harsh but fair.

CannibalSpectre

He's done nothing since then. If you're fine with a lack of effort then fair enough.

@
Pirlo'sBeard you mean the same Rashford who made the assist for Hojlund's first goal for united against Bayern in our last match?

el3mel

He's back to Rashford of Ole's reign. Making every single wrong decision possible, passing when he should shoot and shoot when he should pass.

I thought we're past this point, but it does seem he'll never be consistent enough to play 2 good seasons in a row.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Marcus' decision making continues to be a bit buzzling. Right now it feels like he shoots when he should pass and passes when he should shoot. Not sure what's going on between his ears.

Superunknown

I found him tiring to watch today, tbh. It was very low level, low confidence, low output. In more ideal circumstances, this type of performance should see him dropped to the bench.

chris123

The last time we questioned his effort it was because of injury issues, so I wonder if something is affecting him at the moment. But he really was not good enough today.

Based Adnan

Within 10 minutes of the game starting he'd smashed it into the side netting after refusing to pass and then lost his man for a clear Burnley chance on goal

These guys just won't learn. Same old dribbling down blind alleys, lack of effort and shit decision making.

Sgreddevil

Same old rashford. Terrible decision making. I am not sure if that was down to selfishness or failure to look out for teammates. His final chance was a good example. He managed to draw 4 to 5 players in front of him. Why would he even attempt to try an attempt through that wall when Casemiro was clear on his right for a shot.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
He seems pre-occupied..... I think he could use some time on the bench....

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Doing the basics correctly, pressing better, playing more with the team and less for himself. Didn't mind this performance. Team is low on confidence and were going back to do the basics well and keep the sheet clean after the goal.

Rockets Redglare

He needs dropped but unfortunately we have no real option to take his place. His attitude is just awful.