View full 2023-24 profile

4.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Crimson King

Sorry to disappoint, but there's no way we'll be signing a player worth 60M as back up. Will he play every game? Probably not, but you'd expect he'll play the majority.

If we decide to keep Martial, then I'd imagine he'll be back up, If not, then we'll see Rashford as the back up, meaning Garnacho can get a lot of minutes, too.
Can't believe people still think we've signed Højlund as a back up to another striker they're praying we'll sign. Most of them are still sacrificing their first borns for Kane.

People need to wake up.

IHateTheEightyEights

Played well today. Lots of good layoffs, excellent movement.

Though I imagine the thread is still filled to the brim with "he's atrocious up front" nonsense

Flying high

Sorry to disappoint, but there's no way we'll be signing a player worth 60M as back up. Will he play every game? Probably not, but you'd expect he'll play the majority.

If we decide to keep Martial, then I'd imagine he'll be back up, If not, then we'll see Rashford as the back up, meaning Garnacho can get a lot of minutes, too.
If Hojlund is first choice and our only backup is Rashford then we've badly failed.

At the start of the summer Hojlund was touted as an excellent prospect for 30-40m. Just because we've paid ready-made star money, does not mean that's what he is.

If Martial goes then we have to get a replacement.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
His run for the Antony goal was really good, Garnacho could have passed it to him easily.

Crimson King

If Hojlund is first choice and our only backup is Rashford then we've badly failed.

At the start of the summer Hojlund was touted as an excellent prospect for 30-40m. Just because we've paid ready-made star money, does not mean that's what he is.

I'm not sure failed is the right word. The striker market is very thin at the moment. Other than Kane or Osimhen there weren't any top options available, and signing either of them probably would have meant there wouldn't be any room to sign anyone else.

Spurs are going to lose Kane. Apparently they're looking to sign Taremi, but may well use Richarlison through the middle more often than not.

Arsenal have Jesus. He's injured for the start of the season though, so they'll relying on Nketiah until he's back.

Liverpool signed Nunez for a huge fee but he hasn't delivered yet. They've signed Gakpo too, but he's not a pure #9. They'll be looking to share the goals throughout their forwards, of which they have a lot of depth, unless Nunez suddenly comes good.

Chelsea were keen to sign a #9 but it looks like they might make do with Jackson and Nkunku now.

City are the only team blessed with #9s in Haaland and Alvarez.

We either signed someone like Højlund or Ramos, or we didn't sign anyone.

RedStarUnited

Disagree. He's good there, and will be out starting CF for most of this season.
Not the guy we just paid 64m for?

And what qualities apart from running in behind does Rashford offer as a CF? We will struggle with him uo there unless we play in transition all the time which we know we can’t.

Red_toad

Not the guy we just paid 64m for?

And what qualities apart from running in behind does Rashford offer as a CF? We will struggle with him uo there unless we play in transition all the time which we know we can’t.
So scoring goals doesn’t count?
Was superb bring Garnacho into play for Antony’s goal and was absolutely electric after half time when we score 3 goals, which he contributed to everyone. But yeah what does he offer other than running in behind :wenger:, I mean there’s no evidence of heading ability, hold up play, being involved in goal build up etc in the very last match he played as a centre forward is there :lol:
Really have to wonder what people actually perceive with their eyes, or if they just state crap for a reaction.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Him and garnacho will probably provide most of our offensive output going into the new season.

It might change depending on when Rasmus gets up to speed.

RedStarUnited

So scoring goals doesn’t count?
Was superb bring Garnacho into play for Antony’s goal and was absolutely electric after half time when we score 3 goals, which he contributed to everyone. But yeah what does he offer other than running in behind :wenger:, I mean there’s no evidence of heading ability, hold up play, being involved in goal build up etc in the very last match he played as a centre forward is there :lol:
Really have to wonder what people actually perceive with their eyes, or if they just state crap for a reaction.
I clearly said in transition, which is what those moments you said where. Im not saying he is shit im saying he is not a striker just like Salah who can score a lot of goals, doesnt get used as a striker. His skillset is more suited to the wide areas. Whats hard to understand?

And If you are wondering what we perceive with our eyes then also ask the same of ETH. Why were we looking at Kane and why did we just buy a 20 year old striker for a lot of money? or you think Rasmus is here to be a bench player for Rashford?

criticalanalysis

Glad he got a goal, better than previous displays but he's not a 9.

Desperately need Hojlund to play so Rashford can play on the left and they can interplay.

Walters_19_MuFc

Last season, our options were:

A 37 Ronaldo, who struggled to manage the intensity of the EPL
An unreliable Martial
A striker in Weghorst, who doesn't score goals
Rashford, who is obviously better on the wing.

We finished 3rd in the league with the options above.

Whilst, in an ideal world, we should be getting two strikers in, our options next season, even if Martial goes, will be:

Hojlund
Rashford
Sancho
Martial

I know it's a sensitive subject, but if rumours are to be believed, we could potentially have Greenwood back next season, too, which, if he's anything like what he was before his off field antics, he'll be the game changer.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Last season, our options were:

A 37 Ronaldo, who struggled to manage the intensity of the EPL
An unreliable Martial
A striker in Weghorst, who doesn't score goals
Rashford, who is obviously better on the wing.

We finished 3rd in the league with the options above.

Whilst, in an ideal world, we should be getting two strikers in, our options next season, even if Martial goes, will be:

Hojlund
Rashford
Sancho
Martial

I know it's a sensitive subject, but if rumours are to be believed, we could potentially have Greenwood back next season, too, which, if he's anything like what he was before his off field antics, he'll be the game changer.
I think Greenwood after getting back up to speed will absolutely bang them in.

NoPace

Looked really good.

I think the positional stuff is overstated as it's basically a straight competition between Hojlund and Garnacho for a spot with Rashford either out left or up top as a result. Antony on the right and Sancho the #5 guy in attack (#4 until Hojlund gets up to speed though maybe he'll start out as sub for a few months or this first season, he is only 20).

Martial the big question mark as always. I think Ten Hag probably has him ahead of everyone (excepting Hojlund, I have no idea on that one, seen a lot of highlights but not enough full games to have a take on how ready he is or Ten Hag thinks he is and his pace and being a threat in the box (unlike Martial) is worth) Rashford in the LW/9 battle on talent.

Odds are one of Hojlund or Garnacho becomes a clear starter, they're both so highly rated and at ages where you'd fancy one to hit most of their great potential and become say Trezeguet (to pick a big, fast #9) or Claudio Lopez (to pick a prolific Argentinian wideman) but the other maybe to leave (Garnacho for Spain I guess), get injured or just top out as good players but not clear starters.

TLDR: Rashford's position won't be a matter of where he's best but who becomes a star on the left or as a #9.

stw2022

He's a confidence player. If things are going well for him and his dander is up, he can be very effective. Dangerous in fact. When the chips are down though he very quickly turns into the hunched-shoulder sulking Rashford who saunters around the pitch for 90 mins.

People try to excuse that as 'form' but it isn't. An out of form player can still play well. When Rashford isn't in form he can (and usually does) look awful. He's either a 9/10 or a 3/10 with very few games with any inbetween. And he's old enough and experienced now for that not to be put down as a consequence of developing. He's developed.

OsloRed

He's a confidence player. If things are going well for him and his dander is up, he can be very effective. Dangerous in fact. When the chips are down though he very quickly turns into the hunched-shoulder sulking Rashford who saunters around the pitch for 90 mins.

People try to excuse that as 'form' but it isn't. An out of form player can still play well. When Rashford isn't in form he can (and usually does) look awful.
If performance levels isn't 'form', what is? I'd argue confidence or lack of it can impact form and often does, not that it replaces it. Are you just talking about physical form?

stw2022

If performance levels isn't 'form', what is? I'd argue confidence or lack of it can impact form and often does, not that it replaces it. Are you just talking about physical form?
No. A player off form can still put in a decent level of performance. There's a difference between not being on fire and looking like someone who got to play for United through winning a raffle. Unless Rashford is on a hot steak his presence is actually counter productive to how the team play.

Most players that aren't playing at the top of their game can contribute. How they do it depends on what type of player they are. They may simply make a nuisance of themselves physically, sit back or even just keep it simple and help pass the ball around without turning up trees or doing anything that you'd particularly call outstanding. 6/10 stuff. You haven't noticed them particularly but they haven't shat themselves. I don't think Rashford has that in him. He's either got his heels on fire and absolutely terrifying defenders or the team would be better off if he just went and sat in the corner and read a magazine.

Tiber

End product was very poor today. Will never be a striker.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He plays for himself 90% of the time. Head down and run into every defender possible. Sometimes it comes off but he must be an incredibly annoying player to play with.
lift your head up and find your team mate ffs.

laughtersassassin

Gonna need Hojlund to get fot and hit the ground running. Need someone who is actually a forward and wont get bullied up front.

That way Rashford can play from the left where he is better.

AndySmith1990

He should play in his best position - on the left. I'm fed up of this nonsense of moving players out of position at United. Keep it simple

bondsname

Shocker. A player who has never played well as a striker plays badly as a striker. The few times he got to the wing and had more time with the ball we saw a bit of quality. Not everyone is Prime Cristiano and can play everywhere in the front three, Rashford should just stick to the left where he is a more consistent threat.

Swedish_Plumber

He plays for himself 90% of the time. Head down and run into every defender possible. Sometimes it comes off but he must be an incredibly annoying player to play with.
lift your head up and find your team mate ffs.
It hard to see him developing that now sadly. It shouldn’t be that hard to coach into a player either, but clearly it is.

Chief123

We need to stop doing things that don’t work. Rashford as a striker down the middle rarely works. He’s a left sided forward only.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He's not a striker. That left sided forward role is his position. There is a small chance that Garnacho takes his spot in the team by the end of the season. What's even more worrying for me is we've effectively got him, the permacrocked Martial and a 20 year old in his debut season for the 9 position.

RepardReece

The guy really needs to sort his consistency out, purple patch needs to be permanent.

Superunknown

I didn't enjoy what he did today and found it frustrating to watch. I felt a little sorry for him as I could see that he didn't really feel comfortable in that position.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It’s not even about being a striker. No Matter where you are in the pitch, you play with your head up.
Also a lazy fecker.

BerryBerryShrew

Even in his interview with Nev, he acknowledged that he struggles to get involved when he plays through the middle. Maybe Sancho as false 9 and Rashy wide left until Hojlund can be introduced?

El Jefe

Said all there is to say about him really. He can play in only one way. He's Jamie Vardy without the workrate and toughness upfront. He

If the ball isn't played in behind he becomes a total non-factor.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Unlike posters here I don’t rate him. Simple as. He scores goals some seasons sure but there are so many holes in his play that makes me want to tear my hair out.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Shocker. A player who has never played well as a striker plays badly as a striker. The few times he got to the wing and had more time with the ball we saw a bit of quality. Not everyone is Prime Cristiano and can play everywhere in the front three, Rashford should just stick to the left where he is a more consistent threat.
Even if you ignore how little he was involved, his dribbling was subpar. Clumsy is the only way to describe it,made look even worse with how easy the Wolves players made it look.