g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Marcus Rashford image 10

Marcus Rashford England flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Woziak

Rashford looks good here because he's not England's main man. Instead he's more of an outlet to stretch the oppo back line. He also plays without ego because he knows he's not one of the best players, he has to work hard like everybody else, else he'll find himself in the bench.
Really telling and truthful post, he actually works harder for England when out of possession, obviously let’s be clear here, when you’ve got Kane, Bellingham and Fodden playing you in with his pace, he’s going to look a lot better than what’s he’s playing with at United, let’s also be clear here Maguire was outstanding yesterday, doesn’t mean that he’s united answer he just suits international football more due to the slower pace of the game.

Swiss_Red89

That and the fact that Kane was wide open waiting for a pass. His goal was excellent but had it not been scored, question marks would have been raised as to why he didn't pass to Kane there.

He tries that move almost every game in the PL and the defenders easily close him down. Passing was 100% a better play there but just like you, I am aware posters are going to jump on me.
He scored a Goal while shooting in that situation and you claim that passing was "100% the better option"? Come on, that's ridiculous.

We all agree that he has deficites in his decision making and he gets critisised a lot for it (rightfully). But after he scored a very good goal in a big game for England it's a bit harsh to come up with these arguments.

mctrials23

He scored a Goal while shooting in that situation and you claim that passing was "100% the better option"? Come on, that's ridiculous.
Hes not wrong. If you have a 10% chance of scoring from your position and passing it to a team mate would give you a 70% chance of scoring then passing it is "100% the better option".

RedUnited86

In a footballing sense, he's just not very bright. Picks the wrong option far too often, usually multiple times a game. He's nearly 26, and still thinks it's a good idea to dribble into impossible and inescapable channels.

BootsyCollins

So now he gets criticized for scoring a goal?
Its was a good goal imo, good dribble and shooting on the side where the goalie had the weight on so hard for him to do something.

Did not watch the rest of the game, so no idea how his general play was, but to criticize him for scoring a good goal seems strange for me.

RedStarUnited

So now he gets criticized for scoring a goal?
Its was a good goal imo, good dribble and shooting on the side where the goalie had the weight on so hard for him to do something.

Did not watch the rest of the game, so no idea how his general play was, but to criticize him for scoring a good goal seems strange for me.
Its not criticism for scoring rather highlighting the pitfalls of the exact same move time and time again. The part in bold assumes Marcus calculated that as he was dribbling inside, when in reality I fell he just dribbled and shot as hard as he could without any real sense of direction. Because he does this a lot.

Of the top of my head I remember this from last season. around 2:55 min mark.

Henry once said something to the tune of "If you dribble past 5 guys, shoot and score its great, because you scored. But if you do that 10 times and only score once, you are probably making a bad decision and should do something else"

I reckon with a bit more thinking, he can score at least 5-10 goals more than he does now.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I watched the first half, and he was equally shocking as he is for us. Really amateur with his dribbling, it's actually comical watching him dribble, and Italy created most of their attacks through his side because he wasn't closing down.

Good goal though, but he messes up that situation more than 9 times out of 10 this season, so I am not sure it's even something to praise.

BootsyCollins

Its not criticism for scoring rather highlighting the pitfalls of the exact same move time and time again. The part in bold assumes Marcus calculated that as he was dribbling inside, when in reality I fell he just dribbled and shot as hard as he could without any real sense of direction. Because he does this a lot.

Henry once said something to the tune of "If you dribble past 5 guys, shoot and score its great, because you scored. But if you do that 10 times and only score once, you are probably making a bad decision and should do something else"

I reckon with a bit more thinking, he can score at least 5-10 goals more than he does now.
Oh yes, no doubt about that.

About the part where he took the shot, i think its hard for us to fathom how ridiculously good these players are, so i feel that they react to these things (where the goalie has the weight of their body f.ex) in milliseconds. So he might not even calculate it, he just "knows".

Whats talking against that is of course that he has done that many times before, without scoring, as you say, but that happens to alot of footballers so it dont means that they never use that "skill".

Oranges038

That and the fact that Kane was wide open waiting for a pass. His goal was excellent but had it not been scored, question marks would have been raised as to why he didn't pass to Kane there.

He tries that move almost every game in the PL and the defenders easily close him down. Passing was 100% a better play there but just like you, I am aware posters are going to jump on me.
It was a good goal and I see what your saying, it wasn't even a great finish, he just blasted it and he never looks to play the pass. He generally just tries to blast it, very little finesse to his finishing.
Just keeps taking that extra touch until he feels he has space to shoot. Kane's movement helps him out a bit here, he kind of just hangs there creating a distraction. The defending from Italy was fairly poor.

We see him do this every week to no end. But it's not something to really criticise him for against Italy, he shot, he scored, in that moment it was the right choice.

Posh Red

You have to laugh at how quickly this forum has turned on him after last season. I’m glad our manager see’s his value. He will hit form for United soon, I’m sure of it.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I watched the first half, and he was equally shocking as he is for us. Really amateur with his dribbling, it's actually comical watching him dribble, and Italy created most of their attacks through his side because he wasn't closing down.

Good goal though, but he messes up that situation more than 9 times out of 10 this season, so I am not sure it's even something to praise.
He's also the only player in that squad, or ours, who can score THAT goal.

When he gets it right, he gets it really right.

You can't just pick out the things which suit your narrative, tell the truth about things outside your boring sad narrative.

Jeffthered

You can't just pick out the things which suit your narrative, tell the truth about things outside your boring sad narrative.
Yes, but I think the post which you refer to, makes a point. You both do in fact; Rashford is probably the only English player who can score a goal like that, the power, pace, direct nature of the goal.. it's pretty much unstoppable.. when, when it all comes off. The pitch was open, on the break, Bellingham and Kane in situ'.. all this plays a role. But of course, this was a superb finish, an important goal. Rashford has the ability to do this.
But... I watched that game, and Rashford for much of the game was running down the same predictable channels, going nowhere, as he does for us, far, far too often. He has to get back to varying his attacking game. The thing is, he did exactly this last season... he was scoring incredible headed goals, with his power, physique and pace, he should be scoring 7, 8 goals a season with his head. He also has to, just has to, get his left foot much stronger. CR7 did exactly this when SAF and his teamates told him it would improve his game.

Rashford could enhance his game 20, 30% if he stopped thinking so one-dimensionally about his game. But I feel, that he doesn't feel that he needs to, which is both a shame and is actually, quite, quite wrong. He does need to improve his game.

NotoriousISSY

Yes, but I think the post which you refer to, makes a point. You both do in fact; Rashford is probably the only English player who can score a goal like that, the power, pace, direct nature of the goal.. it's pretty much unstoppable.. when, when it all comes off. The pitch was open, on the break, Bellingham and Kane in situ'.. all this plays a role. But of course, this was a superb finish, an important goal. Rashford has the ability to do this.
But... I watched that game, and Rashford for much of the game was running down the same predictable channels, going nowhere, as he does for us, far, far too often. He has to get back to varying his attacking game. The thing is, he did exactly this last season... he was scoring incredible headed goals, with his power, physique and pace, he should be scoring 7, 8 goals a season with his head. He also has to, just has to, get his left foot much stronger. CR7 did exactly this when SAF and his teamates told him it would improve his game.

Rashford could enhance his game 20, 30% if he stopped thinking so one-dimensionally about his game. But I feel, that he doesn't feel that he needs to, which is both a shame and is actually, quite, quite wrong. He does need to improve his game.
There's no denying that Marcus Rashford is a 'moments' player. You have to be fair and say the moments everything comes off, they are unique to him more often than not. He usually scores very good goals.

I completely agree with anyone who states he is not a 90 minute performer, but you can't discredit his actual ability to do things others can't. Clearly this is not something his coaches ignore either, it's just this season without the raw enthusiasm of a Fred or access to our best full backs, Erik ten Hag has clearly been unable to make use of a Rashford with freedom with others ready to do the dirty work effectively. Bellingham, Trippier and Rice were all very active last night, particularly in that second half.

clarkydaz

i thought typical Rashford outing, up/down performance but gets a nice goal to elevate the narrative. Yes it looks nice when his thing comes off

redcucumber

Hes not wrong. If you have a 10% chance of scoring from your position and passing it to a team mate would give you a 70% chance of scoring then passing it is "100% the better option".
Where on earth are you plucking these percentages from? Even when he scores a cracker he's doing the wrong thing. Quite remarkable.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

Garnacho scored similar goals, Martial scored similar goals, and I am quite sure even Sancho scored similar goals.

But yeah, I am the one that picks things to suit my narrative.

criticalanalysis

Agree and it's the same thing for Martial too. Both players capable of making the space to get into advantageous areas to take good shots but one (Rashford) shoots too hard and the other shoots too soft with his side foot (Martial). Incredible really.

cpresc

In your dreams perhaps
JB - agreed with Madrid and only wanted to go there. Even the English favorite (Liverpool) dropped out
Kane - not a chance in hell they would sell to us. You’re dreaming if you think otherwise
Rice - over a hundred million. United fans would have been on his back before a ball was kicked. Rumour is that he wanted to stay in London
15 years ago all 3 would be at Utd

mctrials23

Where on earth are you plucking these percentages from? Even when he scores a cracker he's doing the wrong thing. Quite remarkable.
Thin air. And yes, he is doing the wrong thing even if he scores a screamer if the alternative to scoring a screamer was to pass it to a teammate for a tap in. That shouldn't be hard to grasp. The percentages was to illustrate the point. The team doesn't get any extra points for the quality of goal scored so if you would net another 10 goals a season if your players made the right decisions on whether to pass or shoot then that is the right thing to do.

I seriously don't know how this isn't basic common sense.

NotoriousISSY

Garnacho scored similar goals, Martial scored similar goals, and I am quite sure even Sancho scored similar goals.

But yeah, I am the one that picks things to suit my narrative.
Garnacho? You're having a laugh. He certainly has the potential, but he's got no real history to draw upon.

Martial, scores goals like that, in 2023?

Sancho, scores goals like that playing for Manchester United and England?

Okay then matey.

NotoriousISSY

It's then 1000% superseded and deemed irrelevant once the ball goes in the net. Have a day off.

Walters_19_MuFc

Great goal by Rashford yesterday. Hoping he can carry that into our game on Saturday, because if he's not scoring, we score feck all.

Winrar

Im prepared to get killed for saying this…

I didnt like the finish. Yes he scored but he
Just hit it hard rather than placed it. More often than not he gets these finishes wrong because he is going for power not placement. Look how close the ball was to the keeper, Its like he refuses to learn how to score with placement. He should be placing the ball nearer to the side net.

Go on, kill me…
I'm inclined to agree here.

It looks great when it comes off like it did yesterday, but if it didn't like most of the time he would've been slaughtered for being selfish and not passing it off to Foden or Kane.

Maybe a harsh lose/lose situation we've imposed on him, but he hasn't exactly been setting the world alight this season either.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Just hit it hard rather than placed it. More often than not he gets these finishes wrong because he is going for power not placement. Look how close the ball was to the keeper, Its like he refuses to learn how to score with placement. He should be placing the ball nearer to the side net.

Go on, kill me…
I'm inclined to agree here.

It looks great when it comes off like it did yesterday, but if it didn't like most of the time he would've been slaughtered for being selfish and not passing it off to Foden or Kane.

Maybe a harsh lose/lose situation we've imposed on him, but he hasn't exactly been setting the world alight this season either.
Come on guys. Just no. It was a position where shooting was easily the right option, as he had an opening and was central and on the run. Let's not go down this road. This wasn't a situation where he was running into a cul de sac and shot from a bad angle. This wasn't even a clearly easy pass to a better position player. This was clearly a "cut in, opening presents itself so shoot". And criticizing the finish? fecking come on. It was a normal, good finish. It was low and hard. Rashford typically has excellent shooting technique and that was an example of it.

I sweat some of you guys have never played football in your lives if you're criticizing that.

Redlyn

Go on, kill me…
He tends to resort to those type of shots more often than not but in this case it's a bit of nit picking imo as was a good low hard shot which didn't give the keeper much reaction time.

cpresc

15 years ago is a long time and 15 years ago the price would be prob 150m for all 3, not it’s at least double. 15 years ago we were an attractive side to join, now we struggle
Yeah that was my original point dude - Rashford is probably depressed

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

Ah come on that's ridiculous. He 100% should've taken the shot there. A pass to Kane would've seen Kane getting closed down and the angle covered by the keeper by the time the ball reaches him. Only small problem I had with the goal was the type of finish he opted for but that's his style by this point in his career. Go look up most goals and you'll find loads of players scoring despite their team mates being more open for the pass.

Rashford looks good here because he's not England's main man. Instead he's more of an outlet to stretch the oppo back line. He also plays without ego because he knows he's not one of the best players, he has to work hard like everybody else, else he'll find himself in the bench.

Agreed. This is what he should be for United. An outlet player and someone who should be reigned in to play the team game rather than a 2007 Ronaldo knockoff. He's not good enough to be that.

Longshanks

The pass to kane was on for about a millisecond. Rashford was center of goal with a good sight of the goal and the ball under his control on his strongest foot. Kane was on the angle and there was a very small sweet spot to actually get the pass away before the corridor closed.

He could of passed, but then the GK saves because Kane's angle is worse and the GK would have a much better view of the shot. He could of passed and have kane mis-control and the chance go or overhit the pass himself and push Kane too wide.

But no he uses the defenders Infront of him as blocks and smashes it into the net with the GK compleatly unsighted and unable to react scores a superb goal that pretty much takes England into another major tournament.

When he is from a crap angle on his weak foot and there is a pass on to player better positioned and he takes a shot which does happen then yeah criticism is deserved, but when he is driving into the middle of the box onto his stronger foot with a clear sight of goal shoots and actually scores. Than criticism is frankly ridiculous and just stinks of Twitter analysis using still frames and agendas.

Swiss_Red89

I really think some of the United Fans who post in this thread where a bit annoyed to see him score the goal for England...and their natural reaction would be something like "he should have passed so the goal is further prove of his shit decision making".

Fingers crossed this was the start of another so called "purple patch" of the lad.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

You can't win with some people.

Rashford tries squaring it to Bruno vs Galatasaray: "that shows he doesn't trust himself to score one on ones".

Rashford scores a goal: "he should've passed it".

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You can't win with some people.

Rashford tries squaring it to Bruno vs Galatasaray: "that shows he doesn't trust himself to score one on ones".

Rashford scores a goal: "he should've passed it".
Rashford would not be criticised if his square ball vs Galatasaray wasn't so wank.

Its one thing trying to make the decision and another thing executing it.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Rashford would not be criticised if his square ball vs Galatasaray wasn't so wank.

Its one thing trying to make the decision and another thing executing it.
Well he executed his finish vs Italy pretty well the other night, but that hasn't stopped people from saying he should've passed it. Most inside forwards are at their best when they're selfish in front of goal. Next time he finds himself in a similar position as he did vs Galatasaray then I hope he buries his shot.

RuudTom83

Rashford gets stuck between 2 minds...does he pass or does he get his head down, try to dribble past a few defenders and shoot!

When he is off form and low in confidence then he does the wrong thing a lot of times...even during the England game he made some daft errors and failed with a few shit passes.

But I hope the goal helped and he has a good match this weekend.