g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Marcus Rashford image 10

Marcus Rashford England flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Marwood

Pack it in. You view your player's form over a season, no? Every forward has tricky spells over a season. Every player. When the angle is 'he's shit', it's easy to find spells to back up the data. When he performs, it's 'a purple patch'. I'm no Rashford fan boy but to write him off, or indeed any United player, when we're in our current state is nonsense, particularly after last season. He's not the guy who's going to single handedly pull the team together. He's been poor. Cas has been poor. Shaw was poor when he played. As was Martinez. Bruno gas been brutal. Dalot. Varane. Everybody. Do we bin them all? I say we take a deep breath, try to sort out a system that gets us a bit more organised, keep grinding out the odd result, welcome back the walking wounded as they reappear and hope everyone starts playing themselves back into form. Rashford has still been possibly our most dangerous player. He hasn't taken his chances nor made the most of good situations he's created but he's still finding himself in there. I'd like Ten Hag to take him out for Garnacho in games rather than rejigging the whole front line but I'm certainly not ready to give up on him.
Not sure what you want me to "pack in." I've simply stated what happened last season. We're discussing consistency but can't talk about the entire first half of a season? It's yourself who's not judging an entire season.

When you say a bad spell what timeframe are you talking about?

I reckon his form dropped off massively Jan 2021. Between then and now we've had three good months. That's not just a bad spell.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Would like to see him on the right with Garnacho on the left for the next games... I know a lot of people want him dropped. But really, the only other options are Antony and Pellistri. So .. I'd rather see Rashford and Garnacho used together in some way. Because if we are to come good, the most likely route is through Rashford clicking

Swiss_Red89

Would like to see him on the right with Garnacho on the left for the next games... I know a lot of people want him dropped. But really, the only other options are Antony and Pellistri. So .. I'd rather see Rashford and Garnacho used together in some way. Because if we are to come good, the most likely route is through Rashford clicking
Agree...This or try some kind of 4-4-2 with Rashford and Hojlund uptop and Garnacho on the left. Bruno with a free role from the right.

Just try something different.

lex talionis

For his own sake, Rashford needs to be benched for a short spell. Not as punishment but to recover form.

croadyman

For his own sake, Rashford needs to be benched for a short spell. Not as punishment but to recover form.
Yeah guy think he's untouchable and needs to get a shock on that score,seriously doubt Erik has the balls when you look at recent quotes though

lex talionis

Yeah guy think he's untouchable and needs to get a shock on that score,seriously doubt Erik has the balls when you look at recent quotes though
If you're ETH you have to be wondering WTF. You inherited a shit Sancho, you bought a player in Antony you believed was great but has turned into shit, and a player in Rashford who was great for you last season (actually only over a three month period in a contract year) but has turned to shit. Truly remarkable.

None of us can possibly have a clue what goes on off the pitch with this squad but it's clear as clear can be that our marquee players are broken psychologically, Rashford being the leading example of the collapse that has descended on the squad.

RedOrange

Seems like the debate's over?? Best season of his career last year, one of the top forwards in Europe. A couple of months of struggling badly in a shitshow of team situation and the debate's over?
Guess you missed the part where he can't score against set up defenses. The solution is conceding the ball for most of the match and sitting very deep so Rashford can get more counter attacking opportunities with lots of space. Otherwise he'll just keep giving the ball away dribbling at clumps of defenders.

UpWithRivers

Ten Haag has no choice but to play him and pray he starts scoring. We have no other player that will score even 10 goals. Either Rashford finds form or we're done.

klayton88

Nobody knows what he thinks. It is up to the club and the manager to drop him.
Personally, I don't think ETH is allowed to drop him by PRUnited.
I saw what he thought when he was almost subbed by accident, his face told me he's untouchable regardless of form.

GreatDane

Ten Haag has no choice but to play him and pray he starts scoring. We have no other player that will score even 10 goals. Either Rashford finds form or we're done.
Rashford is only worth his spot when he's gets the ball on a counter with space in front of him, he offers nothing otherwise and we can't or should not build around that.
He should never have gotten his latest huge contract but kept as an impact sub or sold.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The problem with Rashford is rather obvious: what he offers at his best is being, let's say, directly productive (goals, assists). When he isn't on song, he produces (directly) very little - and he doesn't offer anything else: he isn't a creative player, he isn't a key player in terms of cohesion, he doesn't stand out as being particularly useful off the ball, none of that.

UpWithRivers

Rashford is only worth his spot when he's gets the ball on a counter with space in front of him, he offers nothing otherwise and we can't or should not build around that.
He should never have gotten his latest huge contract but kept as an impact sub or sold.
Agreed. But we did put all our eggs in the Rashford basket. How many goals will Garnacho----Hojlund---Antony get us? 15-20 between them?

Kaos

The question is whether he'll respond to it appropriately, or just pull a Sancho and claim he's being scapegoated, not before we get the usual outpouring of leaks to the media about how the coach has lost the dressing room and faith from the players, etc.

He should definitely be benched regardless, from a footballing perspective he's a liability for us, and the stats this season back that up.

Wrecking ralf

He needs dropping to get some type of hunger back. He strolls around the pitch like he’s untouchable. Makes the wrong choice constantly and plays like his only goal is his personal tally and not the team as a whole. We’d do much better as a unit with Garnacho and Amad on the wings when both are fit together.

ToToMarshall

He’s probably our only ‘match winner’ but is currently not playing remotely well enough to win matches. Do we drop him and hope the collective gets better and is good enough to win without him, or do we force through and hope he picks up again?

santeria13

Sublemon
With the recent rumours the club is unhappy Mount isnt playing for marketing purposes/him being the no7, do you think it's the same case for Rashford, but even more so? I imagine he was told that benching Rashford would make the higher ups very unhappy since he's easily our most marketable player.

The fact a football club is run like this in the first place is a fecking joke though.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
With the recent rumours the club is unhappy Mount isnt playing for marketing purposes/him being the no7, do you think it's the same case for Rashford, but even more so? I imagine he was told that benching Rashford would make the higher ups very unhappy since he's easily our most marketable player.

The fact a football club is run like this in the first place is a fecking joke though.
Sounds like a lot of guesstimating mate. Not read anything remotely credible about these rumours. Do you have a link from a respected journalist on this?

ToToMarshall

This feels a bit like those rumours about Rooney being told about transfers and being allowed an opinion on prospective signings in 2014.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Apparently he went out clubbing after the derby defeat. If so he deserves to be dropped for a few games. I remember someone did that under Fergie and he absolutely blasted them.

RedUnited86

Apparently he went out clubbing after the derby defeat. If so he deserves to be dropped for a few games. I remember someone did that under Fergie and he absolutely blasted them.
Was probably celebrating City's win.

He's lazy, thick, selfish and lacking any sense of self- awareness. Everything I hate about the modern day player.

Last edited:

statpadder

He will never be dropped. Ten Hag has just made that clear. Imagine being Garnacho or any other player playing in the same position when you hear quotes like that. Truly mind boggling

klayton88

The thing is he turned up for training on time... How is it ideal though to have a player on a few hours kip. No way you train to your potential.

ToToMarshall

Seriously why do you care? He was pictured in a nightclub on an evening where he’s not working. Are footballers not allowed to have a social or private life? Or are they only allowed one when they’re winning? As long as he isn’t abusing his body (doesn’t look like it to look at his physique), battling an addiction issue or getting up to anything unsavoury or illegal, what’s the problem?

Fr. Todd Unctious

Birthday or not and regardless of him turning up on time for training that is taking the p*** in light of that performance on Sunday along with the season so far.

Neilwij

It was his birthday party that had been organised beforehand. It was with family and friends. Plus he was on time to training the next day.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
He's just not a good all round footballer.
Would agree, think is because his ‘footballing brain’ isn’t vary smart for the standard he plays. So whilst he has some great attributes, he lacks the wherewithal to apply them effectively on the fly and use those attributes effectively on a consistent basis.

There was a passage of play on Sunday where Rasmus was breaking towards *’s goal and Marcus was free. Marcus then made a run that effectively blocked himself off from a pass then proceeded to flap his arms about like Bruno when he didn’t get the ball. His lack of football intelligence blocked him off, it was a really dumb run.

Someone with actual football intelligence, like Cavani for example, would more likely have made an run that gave Rasmus the opportunity to put him through.

Boiled down, he’s basically ‘fast kid’ or ‘big kid’ at school who gets in the football team for attributes other than his football ability.

Eric_the_Red99

Seriously why do you care? He was pictured in a nightclub on an evening where he’s not working. Are footballers not allowed to have a social or private life? Or are they only allowed one when they’re winning? As long as he isn’t abusing his body (doesn’t look like it to look at his physique), battling an addiction issue or getting up to anything unsavoury or illegal, what’s the problem?
It’s just typical for this thread, they just like bitching about every single thing Rashford does and blame him for everything that’s wrong in the world. They all had to bite their tongue last season but now he’s out of form they’ve come back with a vengeance.

Swiss_Red89

It’s just typical for this thread, they just like bitching about every single thing Rashford does and blame him for everything that’s wrong in the world. They all had to bite their tongue last season but now he’s out of form they’ve come back with a vengeance.
Yep. He wasn't even bad or lazy against City.
His runs in the first half were constantly overlooked. Hojlund or McTominay had at least three times the chance to play him in but took the wrong decisions.
If it had been Rashford everyone would have lost their mind on how he "never passes to Rasmus". (which is also just not true btw). Visc versa the same rules doesn't seem to apply.

No offence on Hojlund though, but there is so much hyperbole going on with Rashford, it's mindboggling.

GreatDane

Agreed. But we did put all our eggs in the Rashford basket. How many goals will Garnacho----Hojlund---Antony get us? 15-20 between them?
Antony would get us nothing if he continues his form, so your guess is as good as mine. We've been throwing away money on bad signings and crazy wages for years.

RedDevil@84

or just pull a Sancho and claim he's being scapegoated, not before we get the usual outpouring of leaks to the media about how the coach has lost the dressing room and faith from the players, etc.
Don't think he will pull a Sancho and fight publicly. The media will do the job for him though.

Kaos

Don't think he will pull a Sancho and fight publicly. The media will do the job for him though.
Not in the literal sense (I'd wager he's not as thick as Sancho), but in the covert sense of using his media contacts to start stirring the pot, cue us receiving daily pieces on how Ten Hag has lost the dressing room.

croadyman

Yeah it would tell us how much he actually wants to play for this club rather than the money,agree with people who say IF (big one) it happened he would start leaking to mates in the media.

Offsideagain

What is his role exactly? He scored a cracker for England the other week. He still has the pace and is stronger than last season and his back doesn't look to be troubling him. I would like to know what the manager says his role is in each individual game. He more often than not has two players on him and very little support. I'm convinced he will come good if we can get some spirit and bloody mindness in the team, call it confidence. All this passing back and sideways crap just wastes time. Attack, attack, attack.

lex talionis

The question is whether he'll respond to it appropriately, or just pull a Sancho and claim he's being scapegoated, not before we get the usual outpouring of leaks to the media about how the coach has lost the dressing room and faith from the players, etc.

He should definitely be benched regardless, from a footballing perspective he's a liability for us, and the stats this season back that up.
If Rashford pulls a Sancho, then all the more reason to bench him. It doesn't need to be a spectacle of a benching, but a quick timeout from full 90+ minutes duty to give him a break which really would be the reason for it. It's not as though we really need to punish him. He's just not getting it done and a benching would be a good thing for the man who turns 26 today.

I distinctly recall vastly greater players for us being given a game off here and there due to form and fatigue.