4.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I said back in March during contract negotiations the club shouldn't do anything silly. That he hadn't demonstrated the consistency to command a top level salary. That last season there was a big gap between pre and post world cup form.

Obviously you get a handful of posters telling you you know nothing about football. Same posters are nowhere to be seen in this seasons Rashford performance thread.
Yeah, I remember a few spending large parts of last season laughing at those who voted “sell if a large enough offer comes in” on that rashford poll as well.

Swiss_Red89

As stated, even if we entertain the idea that Marcus Rashford sits down going through his Twitter and Instagram feed all day checking comments, he would see that he has plenty of support and backing from United fans (I’ve managed to scroll through no more than 30 comments to find a number of positive ones).
If he chooses to ignore that and focus on the negative comments and then loses confidence and puts out stinking performances then I’m afraid Marcus rashford should probably retire from football.

The reality is it’s a nonsense, this obviously isn’t happening. He’s not on Instagram or Twitter going through hundreds of comments because he isn’t a moron.
At most Rashford will see the criticism being received by pundits and that may effect him. We know footballers watch analysis etc. Even then Rashford is not a player particularly heavily criticised by pundits.

But again, when he was doing well I’m sure he was loving the praise. You have to deal with the highs and lows and deal with criticism when it comes.
Basically this is called being an adult footballer playing for Manchester United. If it’s something you can’t handle, you can give up your multiple million pound contract and all the limelight and go and play for another club.
Ok fair enough. Valid arguments here.

I still stand by my point, that the critics and hate he receives by his own fans is affecting him. Good example is the Situation vs Galatasaray, where he was one on one vs the keeper and tried to pass it to Bruno (after constant talks of him being to selfish and not passing to his teammates). At the beginning of the year he would have burried the chance.
It really is not helping him finding form.
But I'm sure he will overcome it as he has done several times already in his career.

As a first step, I hope he starts from the bench today as I'm sure it will benefit him. If he starts, the fans will be on his back from the first second. And Garnacho deseves a start down the left.

tomaldinho1

Thinking about this I do wonder if he's played so much football/is quite reliant on physical attributes that maybe he should be managed like latter days Rio was for us. He's looked knackered for a number of seasons in my opinion and I doubt there's a lack of effort/love for the shirt, it's more he's been run into the ground and, probably foolishly, wants to play every minute of every game. I do think he's missed the window to really kick on and become a truly great attacker but he can still be one of the best LW in the league in my opinion.

Jordi Cruyff 99

I have never disliked a player so much in all of my decades supporting Man Utd. He is just utterly detestable. A smug, phony virtue signalling prat who's had two good but not great seasons in his entire time as a starter (it feels surreal to think that he's been a starter for Man Utd for going on eight years). He's totally carried away with himself. The guy has no nuance nor grit. The club needs resilient and smart players who aren't all about trying to look cool and being a name off the pitch. Erik ten Hag was lauded as the new great manager when the bloke doesn't have a spine, and sucks up to players like Rashford and Fernandes when Ferguson would've had them dropped. The squad needs to be revamped and a culture reset is required. Who gives a toss about damage limitation? Man Utd will not be relegated nor will it make the top five - and if it did, to what end? Top five is menial. The club needs to be challenging seriously for silverware and things will need to get worse, although it can't be that much worse than it is currently, before it gets better. Players like this absolute joke of a guy need to be sent flying out the door.

AndySmith1990

Would his effort level be different in a well oiled, functioning machine where if you dont perform you get dropped?
It wouldn't speak very highly of his professionalism if he'd put in more effort elsewhere. He should give his all whatever club he's at. Unless he's unhappy and demotivated here, in which case he shouldn't have signed a new contract

M Bison

Supports
York City
It wouldn't speak very highly of his professionalism if he'd put in more effort elsewhere. He should give his all whatever club he's at. Unless he's unhappy and demotivated here, in which case he shouldn't have signed a new contract
our whole team can do better and work harder though, the whole club in fact.

STYLOISRED

our whole team can do better and work harder though, the whole club in fact.
Rubbish. Garnacho is younger and less physically imposing than Marcus Rashford but he fights for every ball in his zone. Rashford doesn't even try. Some of our players are just bad but dey try to make up for it trying. For all the flack we give Bruno lately for poor performance one critism you can never have of him is "he doesn't try". Rashford is a coward who doesn't even try. The only time Rashford shows any kind of life is when the ball comes to his feet. He avoids physical duels, he doesn't help his full back and he just trudges along when he should be the source of fire in that attack.
It's telling that a 20 year old striker that has been here less than 4 months seems to have more fire in his belly than our 25 year old academy graduate who is among the highest earners in the team and the lynchpin of our attack.

Man Utd 0:3 Newcastle

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Back to being useless, he looks like he's struggling again off the field.

Physically he's not as lean as last year and he's looking a bit scruffy. Last year he was in peak fitness, hair always freshly trimmed too.

Marcus is a player you can generally tell by how much they try / body language on the field and he's way off it. Really not helping himself.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
How the feck has this thread been bumped :houllier:
The guy put a shift in when he came on in pretty dire circumstances,

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I think the reason Rashford gets so much attention is he is the very emblem of the issues at the club. He plays in a kind of quick fix way, direct, effective when it works, disastrous when it doesn't. The fact we keep giving him superstar level contracts just keeps us stuck in this never-ending cycle of never quite clicking. Everything Rangnick said about the club was completely true maybe was a sensible time to listen.

Add to this that it is not Rashford that is the problem, it's the way the club has dealt with Rashford is the problem. No point putting Rashford in the crosshairs it's not really his fault at the end of the day.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
How the feck has this thread been bumped :houllier:
The guy put a shift in when he came on in pretty dire circumstances,
Ball watching and literally walking around like a pedestrian on a Sunday stroll is putting a shift now. I can only imagine what "not putting a shift" would look like...laying on the pitch, sleeping?

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Did basically nothing in 30 minutes and went home. Good performance for 350k a week

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Because it’s a thread to discuss performances and he just played 30 minutes. Didn’t play very well but he definitely played.
But literally nothing tonight was his fault, yet the first post after the game was bemoaning him.
I get people are foaming at the mouths with rage, but that to me just highlights how fans on the caf have their scapegoats and favourite players they like to single out for criticism.
The guy was blameless tonight and personally thought he put in a decent shift and at least tried to make things happen.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
But literally nothing tonight was his fault, yet the first post after the game was bemoaning him.
I get people are foaming at the mouths with rage, but that to me just highlights how fans on the caf have their scapegoats and favourite players they like to single out for criticism.
The guy was blameless tonight and personally thought he put in a decent shift and at least tried to make things happen.
He was crap. It was not a good performance. I know we’ve been muck for so long it’s hard to remember what a good performance looks like but, believe me, a good player putting in a good performance after coming on for the last half hour would play very differently to the way Rashford played tonight. Think back to the early days of Garnacho. That’s what a good cameo looks like. Not what Rashford produced tonight.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
He was crap. It was not a good performance. I know we’ve been muck for so long it’s hard to remember what a good performance looks like but, believe me, a good player putting in a good performance after coming on for the last half hour would play very differently to the way Rashford played tonight. Think back to the early days of Garnacho. That’s what a good cameo looks like. Not what Rashford produced tonight.
To do that, the team has to be capable of actually progressing the ball and presenting the inside forward with the ball in transition quickly. Garnacho’s cameos were in a period when we were playing well and when Rashford was also successful earlier in the match.

We couldn’t do the same for Garnacho tonight either. The passing structure is entirely broken at this point. We’ve lost all ability to play in transition, even the counterattacks are drying up now. Garnacho’s bright cameos have dried up for the same reason too in recent months.

AFC NimbleThumb

It certainly was. I reckon since Jan 21 to now we've seen three months good form. I'm not particularly annoyed at Rashford. It happens. He's been playing full on since he was 18 and some players simply lose their drive after seven or so years. It's clear as day that's what's happened.

I'm more annoyed at the managers and club for being so defferential to him. Allowing his PR to control his selection.

@AFC NimbleThumb
@roseguy64

I remember you two being very "thank god you're not in charge" when I suggested we shouldn't go crazy with his contract.

Any follow up now?
I started replying to this yesterday but got a little distracted but here we go. . .

My feelings remain the same on Rashford. If he’s your 3rd best attacker you’ve got a damn good attack yet if he’s your no.1 attacker you’ll have issues.

I don’t remember the exact interaction with yourself but I assume you’re talking about my opposition to posters saying things like ‘only offer him X amount’ [then suggesting a figure pulled out of thin air he’d never accept] or ‘let him leave for free’. I never said he should be rewarded with ‘a crazy contract’, I just baulked at some of posters scenarios which were never going to come to fruition.

I’m okay with the contract, it isn’t my money. When Rashford next goes on a purple patch, which he will as he always has done, do I then @ you with some spurious quote like ‘i remember you saying he’d lost his drive forever’ or something silly?

I would choose Rashford ahead of Antony, Mount, Sancho, Garnacho, Hojlund, Martial so the notion that I’d lowball him with a contract he’d never accept or sell him when he’s one of the better attackers we have is ridiculous to me. Eventually we may well need to improve on Rashford, that is about 4 or 5 attacking players away though.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
There's always the chance he's downed tools as some sort of a bizarre solidarity to his best pal Sancho and his current predicament. You'd think he's above that as a professional, but who knows anymore.

This would be even worse than simply being out of form, though.

beck7

His drop in form since getting the big fat contract is just scandalous!

croadyman

There's always the chance he's downed tools as some sort of a bizarre solidarity to his best pal Sancho and his current predicament. You'd think he's above that as a professional, but who knows anymore.

You do wonder because they are mates

clarkydaz

Thing is supposedly Sancho prefers to play on the left, and we know that isnt happening

ToToMarshall

After how many goals scored will his embarrassing celebration make a comeback?

A bit silly to create a celebration highlighting your mental strength and proceed to show a complete lack of it the next season.
I love Marcus but this made me laugh

BelfastRed2021

It astounds me how these players make 350 grand a week in rashfords case i am a trance music producer and make absolutely nothing and sometimes i will work on a tune for 36 hours sometimes near straight to get it perfect and finished in time for some reason with about 2 hours sleep yet these prima donnas cant find it within themselves to put a shift in for 90 minutes earning in a week what i will earn in half a lifetime its a disgrace

clarkydaz

After how many goals scored will his embarrassing celebration make a comeback?

A bit silly to create a celebration highlighting your mental strength and proceed to show a complete lack of it the next season.
Been wondering if he has any self awareness to be doing it again. Its his PR thing so expect it at some point

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Goes off partying after another shit show on the pitch. Tells me all o need to know about him

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The more relevant thing from the embargoed press conference today when people are wondering why our nominally most advanced player isn’t following their full back to our byline:

Ted Lasso

Goes off partying after another shit show on the pitch. Tells me all o need to know about him
I would not have made much of him going to a pre-planned birthday party because my own standards and expectations have been subverted over the last ten years between prima donas like Pogba and the fans backing them up and calling out the managers for being too strict and not modern enough.

But this just so happened to come to light after I finished the Beckham documentary in which Sir Alex's much more strict discipline and intolerance of such behavior was brought up time and again, with reference to a player that did nothing but perform for us at the highest level. And it has reminded me of why we were so successful under Sir Alex, why players did not drop their level or effort without being sent out of the club and why we are so so dire right now.

Ed Woodward destroyed the foundation of and expectation of daily excellence and sacrifice for this club. Every manager coming in has tried to get us back up there, thwarted by Woodward at first who was buddy buddy with players and the fans that ate it up. And now once again ETH is too strict a manager.

Manny

Grammar Police
The more relevant thing from the embargoed press conference today when people are wondering why our nominally most advanced player isn’t following their full back to our byline:

Doesn't explain why he can't press the opposition though.

Also, don't agree with keeping him closer to the opposition goal and not tracking when his form is like this. Its like playing with 10 men for 90 minutes. No wonder the likes of Casemiro and Hojlund are blowing out of their ass.

CatsOfUlthar

I don't really know how the cult following even began to be honest.

His head has never been in the game, if he blew any cooler in his alternating cycles he'd be the bellows of the liquid failure that seems to power our furnaces.

I tend to remain fairly quiet, because he'll probably score six against Fulham and we'll build a statue and a stand for him.

Though it not being the last year of his contract, I think it's more likely he'll walk around being a petulant turd.