Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboc7

We were worse after he came off. Even when Fellaini ishaving a bad game, the threat that he provides gives us another dimension in our attack.

Also, if teams deliberately target him and try to send him off, the ref shouldn't be buying it so wholeheartedly.

At the moment, playing against Man United is a case of;
1. Mark Fellaini out of the game.
2. ???
3. Profit

Is it really Fellaini's fault if we are so over reliant on him that when opponents shut him down, we the rest of our players look clueless?
If he can't deal with being marked then he will rightly be dropped simple as that, teams re going to try and rough him up and compete physically but he has to good enough to still affect the game if he wants to stay in the side and so far he has failed. He was a liability today because he lost his head and had to be subbed off, whether we were worse or not is irrelevant because it's his own fault he got taken off.

Also he was replaced by falcao who was a waste of time so I don't think the key to us getting worse was fellaini, it's clear the player we really miss is carrick.

Bojan11

I think next game maybe, we should put him on the right. Let him move around a bit. Rather than sticking to the left.

Bojan11

Also he looked like getting sent off against Liverpool at home, when he was on a booking. But came out making good tackles in the second half.

I think we should have kept him on.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
If he can't deal with being marked then he will rightly be dropped simple as that, teams re going to try and rough him up and compete physically but he has to good enough to still affect the game if he wants to stay in the side and so far he has failed. He was a liability today because he lost his head and had to be subbed off, whether we were worse or not is irrelevant because it's his own fault he got taken off.

Also he was replaced by falcao who was a waste of time so I don't think the key to us getting worse was fellaini, it's clear the player we really miss is carrick.
I agree that we missed Carrick today.

At the end of the day, teams will often identify the oppositions main threat and seek to nullify that threat, which is what Chelsea and Everton have both done with Fellaini.

It's all very well saying "Fellaini should deal with it" but to me the far bigger issue with that is that our team doesn't seem to have other threats. That has shown as we haven't scored a goal in the last two games, where a Fellaini was basically taken out of the game by opposition tactics.

To say that it is Fellaini's fault that the team is so reliant on him, is just lazy and skips over the underlying problems.

To see Fellaini getting similar ratings to Falcao and Blind for today's game is laughable, in my opinion, although practically nobody had a 'good' game.

It is also laughable to say that Fellaini 'lost his head'. Ridiculous statement. Everton were clearly targeting him and trying to wind him up, and the ref bought it hook line and sinker. It was probably the correct decision to take him off, but not because Fellaini was charging about making rash tackles, but because Everton players would deliberately try to get him sent off for nothing 'fouls' (and Marriner would inevitably oblige).

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Maybe Valencia for being at blatant fault for two goals? Even if you measure it in first half, he's at fault for second goal, shocking marking. How was Fellaini worse than, say, Herrera, Mata or Rooney for that matter? We've been fecking shit all over the pitch.
I said last 2 games, not just today's. Herrera was absolutely terrific against Chelsea, many people were delighted how he played last game, and today he's been one of our better players, I have no idea what are you talking about. Mata was decent over these two games, he was much better against Chelsea than Fellaini. Rooney has been bit better but fair enough, he did nothing special. I agree that Valencia was worse over last two games though, and that's about it, so definitely nothing laughable with suggesting that he was our worst player over last two games when you have case just for one defender being worse than him and one forward being on par with him.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I said last 2 games, not just today's. Herrera was absolutely terrific against Chelsea, many people were delighted how he played last game, and today he's been one of our better players, I have no idea what are you talking about. Mata was decent over these two games, he was much better against Chelsea than Fellaini. Rooney has been bit better but fair enough, he did nothing special. I agree that Valencia was worse over last two games though, and that's about it, so definitely nothing laughable with suggesting that he was our worst player over last two games when you have case just for one defender being worse than him and one forward being on par with him.
People would be delighted if Herrera took a shit on a football pitch and started sliding on it. Mata was a lot better against Chelsea because he's had the room to roam around as Fellaini was man marked by Zouma the whole game and had to deal with Ivanovic, that's the whole thing about him, even when he's - probably according to you playing shit - he's still often locked out by somebody and there's more space on the pitch for others to exploit. When things go our way, the space is exploited, when they don't, matches end up like today's but for some reason it's Fellaini that's receiving the stick.

Oh yea, and it's laughable when you're suggesting that he was the worst player on the pitch just to admit two posts later that he actually wasn't.

Roboc7

I agree that we missed Carrick today.

At the end of the day, teams will often identify the oppositions main threat and seek to nullify that threat, which is what Chelsea and Everton have both done with Fellaini.

It's all very well saying "Fellaini should deal with it" but to me the far bigger issue with that is that our team doesn't seem to have other threats. That has shown as we haven't scored a goal in the last two games, where a Fellaini was basically taken out of the game by opposition tactics.

To say that it is Fellaini's fault that the team is so reliant on him, is just lazy and skips over the underlying problems.

To see Fellaini getting similar ratings to Falcao and Blind for today's game is laughable, in my opinion, although practically nobody had a 'good' game.

It is also laughable to say that Fellaini 'lost his head'. Ridiculous statement. Everton were clearly targeting him and trying to wind him up, and the ref bought it hook line and sinker. It was probably the correct decision to take him off, but not because Fellaini was charging about making rash tackles, but because Everton players would deliberately try to get him sent off for nothing 'fouls' (and Marriner would inevitably oblige).
He did lose his head, after being booked when the ref didn't give him a foul he tried to grab the ball on the floor, that would have seen him sent off right there, he couldn't deal with zouma, he couldn't deal with Everton players harassing him. That's going to happen more and if it nullifies his threat there is no point him being on the pitch, the jury is still out on him as a utd player and will be until he can overcome these kind of problems.

He was getting sent off if he stayed on today, anyone can see that, I also don't see how the team are reliant on him after just a few good games, carrick is far more important to the team than fellaini and it's not just because teams have stopped fellaini we have been beaten. Young was never going to maintain his form and teams have adapted to playing against us after our sudden improvement.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
People would be delighted if Herrera took a shit on a football pitch and started sliding on it. Mata was a lot better against Chelsea because he's had the room to roam around as Fellaini was man marked by Zouma the whole game and had to deal with Ivanovic, that's the whole thing about him, even when he's - probably according to you playing shit - he's still often locked out by somebody and there's more space on the pitch for others to exploit. When things go our way, the space is exploited, when they don't, matches end up like today's but for some reason it's Fellaini that's receiving the stick.

Oh yea, and it's laughable when you're suggesting that he was the worst player on the pitch just to admit two posts later that he actually wasn't.
This.

Boycott

Also he looked like getting sent off against Liverpool at home, when he was on a booking. But came out making good tackles in the second half.

I think we should have kept him on.
That was 5 mins in and he settled into the game.

Everton were playing to get him sent off from the first minute.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
He did lose his head, after being booked when the ref didn't give him a foul he tried to grab the ball on the floor, that would have seen him sent off right there, he couldn't deal with zouma, he couldn't deal with Everton players harassing him. That's going to happen more and if it nullifies his threat there is no point him being on the pitch, the jury is still out on him as a utd player and will be until he can overcome these kind of problems.

He was getting sent off if he stayed on today, anyone can see that, I also don't see how the team are reliant on him after just a few good games, carrick is far more important to the team than fellaini and it's not just because teams have stopped fellaini we have been beaten. Young was never going to maintain his form and teams have adapted to playing against us after our sudden improvement.
He didn't lose his head. He had one fairly standard foul against I think Coleman, and then got booked because the ref bought a fairly pathetic dive from Barkley.
After that (and the ref failing to recognise some obvious fouls against him) he looked to play safe and didn't really go in for any tackles.
Those aren't the actions of a player who has 'lost his head'.

I actually agreed with you that he was likely to end up getting sent off, but if he got sent off, it would likely be from another Barkleyesque overreaction to a nothing tackle, not because he was charging about putting in two footed tackles.

Carrick is obviously an important player but he doesnt do much in the attacking third. We have failed to score in the last two games and I don't see how Carrick would change that.

I can't really be bothered arguing this anymore, suffice to say that if you are truly so convinced that Fellaini isn't actually that important, then please explain to me why both Everton and Chelsea - when playing at home - both saw fit to specifically nullify Fellaini rather than any other players. And why as a result of that, we failed to score in both games.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
We're so reliant on him it's frightening.

Our great run came when he was bossing it. In the last 2 games our opposition have set up to nullify him and not only have we lost both but we've looked completely toothless.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Was really lucky not to get sent off by the way. Tried to grab the ball after he thought he was fouled when already on a yellow.

Roboc7

He didn't lose his head. He had one fairly standard foul against I think Coleman, and then got booked because the ref bought a fairly pathetic dive from Barkley.
After that (and the ref failing to recognise some obvious fouls against him) he looked to play safe and didn't really go in for any tackles.
Those aren't the actions of a player who has 'lost his head'.

I actually agreed with you that he was likely to end up getting sent off, but if he got sent off, it would likely be from another Barkleyesque overreaction to a nothing tackle, not because he was charging about putting in two footed tackles.

Carrick is obviously an important player but he doesnt do much in the attacking third. We have failed to score in the last two games and I don't see how Carrick would change that.

I can't really be bothered arguing this anymore, suffice to say that if you are truly so convinced that Fellaini isn't actually that important, then please explain to me why both Everton and Chelsea - when playing at home - both saw fit to specifically nullify Fellaini rather than any other players. And why as a result of that, we failed to score in both games.
Well if he is so good and so important how can he be stopped so easily? If someone is a threat and you can stop that easily it's stupid not to, teams have also dealt with mata and young last couple of games, it's something all three have to dealing with.

He wasn't putting I two footed tackles but he was complaining and struggling to cope with Everton looking to get him sent off, that will encourage more teams to do the same, he may well have got sent off for doing nothing but he would have been just as likely to leave his foot in or swing an elbow.

Carrick gets the ball forward quickly and has range of passing that opens up the attacking third and encourages runners, blind doesn't so I think it's really strange to claim he wouldn't have changes anything.

If fellaini is going to be a key player going forward, which I don't think he will be, he will have to deal much better with how teams have played against him in the last stop games.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Well if he is so good and so important how can he be stopped so easily? If someone is a threat and you can stop that easily it's stupid not to, teams have also dealt with mata and young last couple of games, it's something all three have to dealing with.

He wasn't putting I two footed tackles but he was complaining and struggling to cope with Everton looking to get him sent off, that will encourage more teams to do the same, he may well have got sent off for doing nothing but he would have been just as likely to leave his foot in or swing an elbow.

Carrick gets the ball forward quickly and has range of passing that opens up the attacking third and encourages runners, blind doesn't so I think it's really strange to claim he wouldn't have changes anything.

If fellaini is going to be a key player going forward, which I don't think he will be, he will have to deal much better with how teams have played against him in the last stop games.
Don't know, we could ask Jones when he was marking Ronaldo/Bale out of the game.

Roboc7

Don't know, we could ask Jones when he was marking Ronaldo/Bale out of the game.
Look I'm not being critical just stating a fact, if he cant be effective when teams make plans for him he will get dropped and he has been too easy to shut out, that might change going forward but there is a big difference between being a key player in a handful of games and being a key player regularly. So far fellaini is the former and we will see if that changes or not.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male

The ref offered him absolutely no protection from Evertons tactics, which didn't help proceedings, and Fellaini's disciplinary record with us has generally been very good - as @Bojan11 said there have been other times when he has been booked early and still finished the game by being very well disciplined.

Carrick doesn't offer much in the final third is what I said, and I stand by that. Carrick is a very important player for us, perhaps our most important this year, and whilst we missed him today, I do not think he would change the fact that we failed to score (unless you want to argue that playing him instead of Rooney in midfield vs Chelsea would have allowed us to play Rooney up front etc...).

In my opinion the best way to counter the opponents nullification of Fellaini, comes from LVG tweaking the tactics, which we have seen that he is very reluctant to do. Against Chelsea I thought we should have perhaps moved Fellaini either forward or backwards, change things around as Zouma. It has been one failing of LVG recently that he is not prepared to make changes if our tactics are not working.

Fellaini IS a key player for us at the moment, like it or not (most go for 'not' I wager). The problem for me, ironically, is the lack of a plan b (ironically because this was often one of the accusations thrown at Fellaini himself). Opponents know that if they can nullify Fellaini, we don't really seem to be able to create much, and this has shown in the last two games.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
This was a point I was going to make - in the World Cup, Mohammed Besic marked Messi out of the game when they played. Does this mean that Messi should have been dropped or upped his game?

We have used the same tactics used with Jones and Park on occasion. If a team sets out with a deliberate plan to stop a specific player, then it will usually succeed. To say what @Roboc7 is saying that Fellaini simply needs to be better at not being nullified, is a bit daft.

Roboc7

Jury is still out on him, he could easily be left out of the side after his last two performances, I won't regard him as a key player until he performs consistently over a longer period, personally don't think he is capable of staying in the team long term but if he is then I won't have a problem.

I don't think there is any point dropping him deeper because he gets worse the further back he goes and the manager won't want to keep changing team round just because fellaini can't cope with being marked, mY e LVG should do more but same goes for fellaini.

I still think it's ridiculous to say we wouldnt have scored if carrick played in both games, he clearly has a positive effect on the team and that can't be dismissed.

Kostur

海尔的老板
This was a point I was going to make - in the World Cup, Mohammed Besic marked Messi out of the game when they played. Does this mean that Messi should have been dropped or upped his game?

We have used the same tactics used with Jones and Park on occasion. If a team sets out with a deliberate plan to stop a specific player, then it will usually succeed. To say what @Roboc7 is saying that Fellaini simply needs to be better at not being nullified, is a bit daft.
It's actually pretty tough for me to make out what his point really is. Fellaini despite being marked out of the game against Chelsea was still doing good job, not as good as against say City or Tottenham but he still wasn't anywhere near bad and he was playing with Zouma on his back.

And I don't really get the 'being a key player regularly' thing really, what does it mean? We've got enough players with quality for one to be the key man in a certain match if the other one's failing, you won't have Mata being a key player every match, won't have Herrera, Young, Rooney, di Maria being one, but there will be games when one of them will pick things up and win the game nearly on his own. In last two matches we just lacked the player.

Roboc7

Daft, seriously? What's dafter is just accepting fellaini can't have a positive impact because the opposition plan to deal with him, if that's the case then why play him and that is exactly what LVG will think.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
It's actually pretty tough for me to make out what his point really is. Fellaini despite being marked out of the game against Chelsea was still doing good job, not as good as against say City or Tottenham but he still wasn't anywhere near bad and he was playing with Zouma on his back.

And I don't really get the 'being a key player regularly' thing really, what does it mean? We've got enough players with quality for one to be the key man in a certain match if the other one's failing, you won't have Mata being a key player every match, won't have Herrera, Young, Rooney, di Maria being one, but there will be games when one of them will pick things up and win the game nearly on his own. In last two matches we just lacked the player.
This is true enough. My argument is simply that if the opponent dedicates a player or two to nullifying one of ours, then it opens up space that the other players *should* be able to exploit.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Daft, seriously? What's dafter is just accepting fellaini can't have a positive impact because the opposition plan to deal with him, if that's the case then why play him and that is exactly what LVG will think.
He still can have an impact - he is one of our biggest assets on set pieces both offensively and defensively, and his very presence forces the opposition to change the way they defend. We saw today that after Fellaini went off, Everton were happy to just defend the centre of the pitch and let us cross the ball, because we had no proper aerial threat.

I think you are way, way off the mark with "what LVG thinks" by the way. If I were LVG I would be asking questions of Mata, Young and Herrera as to why they don't seem to be able to create anything or have a positive impact despite NOT being given special attention by the opposition. If they could, then it would change the dynamics of the match because it would no longer be a case of "nullify Fellaini = nullify United".

Roboc7

This is true enough. My argument is simply that if the opponent dedicates a player or two to nullifying one of ours, then it opens up space that the other players *should* be able to exploit.
As soon as he gets nullified that's a problem and it's not as simple as saying it opens up space for others, if it takes two or three it would but it hasn't taken that many. In recent weeks he has been important because he has bullied players and teams just haven't coped, so inevitably every team we face will do what Chelsea and Everton did because he hasn't had an answer.

If he doesn't deal with that he will be dropped and will be used as a plan B again which teams won't be as prepared for, that's not a criticism it's just a fact, the team isn't going to be rearranged to suit him.

ZDwyr

:lol::lol: so hilarious, and so true.

Completely agree with your post too.

Roboc7

He still can have an impact - he is one of our biggest assets on set pieces both offensively and defensively, and his very presence forces the opposition to change the way they defend. We saw today that after Fellaini went off, Everton were happy to just defend the centre of the pitch and let us cross the ball, because we had no proper aerial threat.

I think you are way, way off the mark with "what LVG thinks" by the way. If I were LVG I would be asking questions of Mata, Young and Herrera as to why they don't seem to be able to create anything or have a positive impact despite NOT being given special attention by the opposition. If they could, then it would change the dynamics of the match because it would no longer be a case of "nullify Fellaini = nullify United".
There will be questions over those players as well but I think you grossly over estimate the importance of fellaini, LVG found a way to use him, teams have stopped it, if fellaini doesn't change that he won't play. LVG will be thinking of players who offer different threats if fellaini can't respond, he is not going to just keep picking fellaini, I think that is pretty obvious.

Roman Bellic

Prick
He has done extremely well this season, would love for him to stay, i just have this feeling that cashing in on him would be the right thing to do this summer, he deserves to be a starter and if we cant provide that role for him next season then we should seriously flirt with the option of letting him go for a huge amount.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
As soon as he gets nullified that's a problem and it's not as simple as saying it opens up space for others, if it takes two or three it would but it hasn't taken that many. In recent weeks he has been important because he has bullied players and teams just haven't coped, so inevitably every team we face will do what Chelsea and Everton did because he hasn't had an answer.

If he doesn't deal with that he will be dropped and will be used as a plan B again which teams won't be as prepared for, that's not a criticism it's just a fact, the team isn't going to be rearranged to suit him.
There will be questions over those players as well but I think you grossly over estimate the importance of fellaini, LVG found a way to use him, teams have stopped it, if fellaini doesn't change that he won't play. LVG will be thinking of players who offer different threats if fellaini can't respond, he is not going to just keep picking fellaini, I think that is pretty obvious.
You are so convinced that LVG is going to drop Fellaini, but your confidence is misplaced I fear.

Again if I was LVG, and teams are setting out to nullify one of my players, then I am probably thinking that that player is obviously doing something right to warrant that sort of attention from the opposition.

So OK, the last two games Fellaini has been successfully nullified by the opponent. Are you not concerned that in the meantime, the likes of Herrera, Mata, Young and Rooney have failed to do anything in the meantime? Is that Fellaini's fault as well?

The reason that nullifying Fellaini has been so effective is due to the lack of threats from our other players. If we had someone else consistently playing well and creating chances, it would make the opposition think twice about singling out Fellaini as the main threat that needs to be contained. As it is, that is not the case, because we have failed to score in two games where Fellaini has been nullified.

So sure, going forwards other teams will have seen how well this has worked and probably replicate the tactics that Chelsea and Everton have used: nullify Fellaini and United can't create anything. That isn't a problem with Fellaini, that is a problem with the other players who are failing to produce anything.

I did really like @Kostur 's analogy of the cafs love affair with Herrera though, and agree completely and would also maybe even extend it to Mata.

Roboc7

You are so convinced that LVG is going to drop Fellaini, but your confidence is misplaced I fear.

Again if I was LVG, and teams are setting out to nullify one of my players, then I am probably thinking that that player is obviously doing something right to warrant that sort of attention from the opposition.

So OK, the last two games Fellaini has been successfully nullified by the opponent. Are you not concerned that in the meantime, the likes of Herrera, Mata, Young and Rooney have failed to do anything in the meantime? Is that Fellaini's fault as well?

The reason that nullifying Fellaini has been so effective is due to the lack of threats from our other players. If we had someone else consistently playing well and creating chances, it would make the opposition think twice about singling out Fellaini as the main threat that needs to be contained. As it is, that is not the case, because we have failed to score in two games where Fellaini has been nullified.

So sure, going forwards other teams will have seen how well this has worked and probably replicate the tactics that Chelsea and Everton have used: nullify Fellaini and United can't create anything. That isn't a problem with Fellaini, that is a problem with the other players who are failing to produce anything.

I did really like @Kostur 's analogy of the cafs love affair with Herrera though, and agree completely and would also maybe even extend it to Mata.
Yes I am convinced because it will happen if he performs as he has done the last two games you are too blinkered to think otherwise it's just a fact. LVG will be considering dropping one or two from mata, young and fellaini for the next game based on their last two performances, Rooney and Herrera as well possibly but there aren't many alternatives to those two.

It's true there is a lack of threat from other players but the lack of threat from fellaini also affects them so you need to apply your argument to him as well, those three playing behind the striker have been too easy to stop. Full backs have stopped mata and young too easily, fellaini has been shut out too easily, time will tell now if they can overcome it but with the resources available in the summer others will come in if they can't respond.

The fault lies with all of them because they have to play well over a long period of time not four games, Chelsea are top because they have players who perform for longer than just a few games, I would be surprised if all three of young, mata and fellaini start the next game.

It's a big problem for fellaini because if a simple plan stops him the manager will try someone else there who the opposition might not stop, he won't be as accepting as you.

Sylar

Only real criticism i have is he needs to be hitting the target with his chance at 1-0. Thats a game changer right there. Game would have gone the way of us vs City then imo.

Gannicus

MaFa was too emotionally jacked up for this game. I don't begrudge LvG starting him, but a talk with him at halftime might have worked. After all, we were going to be reduced to crossing all the time as the game wore on.

Silverman

Fellaini has been brilliant for us........didn't really get into the game, probably because the Everton players know him so well.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Only real criticism i have is he needs to be hitting the target with his chance at 1-0. Thats a game changer right there. Game would have gone the way of us vs City then imo.
Valid point, I agree.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Yea, it was a very bad miss imo. Could've as well squared it to Mata who was getting into position.

Sylar

Yea, it was a very bad miss imo. Could've as well squared it to Mata who was getting into position.
Dont blame him for not passing. Pretty much one on one with the keeper. in fact he sent Howard the wrong way, he just got under it (leaned back) when he didnt need to. He rushed it (maybe because the defender was closing down on him). Its a shame as I didnt think overall we were as bad in the first half as many have said. Two defensive mistakes aside.

Roboc7

Yup, no use arguing with fachts. :wenger:
Maybe your right and LVG will be thinking it's the fault of every other player fellaini was less effective and it's impossible to expect him to do anything if one player is tasked to stop him. But seems much more sensible fellaini will be expected to do more and will be dropped if he can't just like young, mata and maybe some others.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Maybe your right and LVG will be thinking it's the fault of every other player fellaini was less effective and it's impossible to expect him to do anything if one player is tasked to stop him. But seems much more sensible fellaini will be expected to do more and will be dropped if he can't just like young, mata and maybe some others.
Personally I find it more sensible to replace the players failing to create when the opponent ISNT singling them out for special attention, than the one who is failing to create whilst being specifically marked and countered by the opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.