Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
The last line in bold does not make sense.
I've never seen Cleverley beat a man whether by manipulating the ball with his feet or just a simple body serve. All this Fellaini can do. Cleverley is just a basic ball to feet, give and go midfielder. Fellaini has much more to his game then that.
Ever seen Scholes go past a player lol

psychdelicblues

In regards to technical ability, I rate Cleverley higher than Fellaini. However, Fellaini attributes (when he uses them) have a far greater impact on a match. Now I know that should make him the better player and in a way it does but for me, Cleverley is the better player wit the ball at his feet.
The last line in bold does not make sense.
I've never seen Cleverley beat a man whether by manipulating the ball with his feet or just a simple body serve. All this Fellaini can do. Cleverley is just a basic ball to feet, give and go midfielder. Fellaini has much more to his game then that.
In regards to technical ability, I rate Cleverley higher than Fellaini. However, Fellaini attributes (when he uses them) have a far greater impact on a match. Now I know that should make him the better player and in a way it does but for me, Cleverley is the better player wit the ball at his feet.
Ever seen Scholes go past a player lol
You were quite specific in one particular area of Cleverley and Fellaini's technical ability, i.e 'ball at his feet'.
You do not need youtube clips to realise that Fellaini wins hands down. You bringing Scholes to the debate to support your point regarding Cleverley 'technical ability', 'with the ball at his feet' is quite funny.

Ekeke

Scholes did occasionally beat someone, but usually only took people on when he had a chance in the box. I can remember one or two goals where he goes past someone with a dummy

Walters_19_MuFc

If he starts today, I hope he can continue where he left off against Chelsea, where I thought he had a really good game. Be a tough game, but these are the type of games he'll have to have a big impact in to continue to silence his critics.

Will Singh

If he starts I recon he will be man marking Yaya Toure like he did with Fabregas. The good that's come of this is that LVG has realised that we need steel in the backbone of the team and not just technical ability. But I'm glad Fellaini is doing well and long may it continue.

I was sceptical when we bought him but at this moment if he can do us a job then I can't complain but can't see him as a regular fixture in the first 11...

legball

David Moyes has done an "I told you so" article on Dailymail, it's hilarious!

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Imagine he puts in a performance and maybe even grabs a crucial goal. He would probably go to instant hero status, good on him for fighting through it all.

MDFC Manager

I thought he was man marking Fabregas the whole game but he actually wasn't. Plenty of times he would ghost away from Cesc leaving him worried and dragging him out of position. Was a good tactical display from him, along with covering the most miles on the pitch (so much for the laziness claims).

ZDwyr

I thought he was man marking Fabregas the whole game but he actually wasn't. Plenty of times he would ghost away from Cesc leaving him worried and dragging him out of position. Was a good tactical display from him, along with covering the most miles on the pitch (so much for the laziness claims).
Agree. As soon as we won the ball he would force Cesc to defend (and often he wouldn't so Fellaini got space).

MDFC Manager

Agree. As soon as we won the ball he would force Cesc to defend (and often he wouldn't so Fellaini got space).
Yes exactly. I actually missed all this the first time. It only made sense when I watched Neville and Carragher's analysis on MNF.

ZDwyr

Yes exactly. I actually missed all this the first time. It only made sense when I watched Neville and Carragher's analysis on MNF.
It is interesting because if he does the same to Toure (who also tends to neglect his defensive duties at times) then he could become a big force in the match.

MDFC Manager

It is interesting because if he does the same to Toure (who also tends to neglect his defensive duties at times) then he could become a big force in the match.
True, even more so if they play only 2 in midfield ( including Toure).

DevilRed

Made one or two last ditch tackles in our box too if I remember correctly. Just one of his best matches in a red shirt and exactly what we need him to do every week.

Ash_G

Hope he finds the right balance in his game. He certainly adds pushing foward but need him to time it better imo, I think at times he gets forward too quickly and we could get the ball in a better position/be better prepared for a counter if he waited a bit longer and let the play transition more.

Man City 1:0 Man Utd

dirkey

That post that you are responding to did not mention 'liability' but instead stated Fellaini might not be 'the most technically impressive' therefore it seems you are implying a player that is not the most technically impressive is then a liability.

This is an odd opinion you have.
No that's not what I'm implying. What I'm stating is that if he goes back to being a liability, which he was last year, technical ability or not, is he worth keeping. Not sure how you made the jump from what i said to what you thought I implied.

Crashoutcassius

Our best player out there again probably, or at least it's close. Will struggle this second half I'd say with more ground to cover quicker, and us under huge pressure, but showed the first half that he can play a good role in this team... just probably not at CB

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He's done well at times but he's still sometimes rash and a bit dodgy. Not convinced by his first touch, and he was very lucky to not concede a penalty after that rash challenge on Aguero. Plus, I'd rather see Rooney in his more advanced role, even if it meant sacrificing Fellaini.

NessunDorma

If there's one player you want in a backs-to-the-wall scrap, it's Fellaini.

Saw him play brilliantly in these types of situations numerous times at Everton. Hopefully he can for the next 45 minutes as well.

ZDwyr

He's been okay. Not as good as Chelsea but we're under the pump and it is going to be difficult for everyone. Just has to do his defensive jobs well and try his best to get on the end of any set piece chance we may get.

Ash_G

My gripes with him in this game (and the last) are more tactical than anything. Just don't get why we want him to push us so quick. Plenty of cm's are able to get in the box when the moment is right, we let him push up before we've got in to anywhere near a good position. Just don't get it.

Empire

No that's not what I'm implying. What I'm stating is that if he goes back to being a liability, which he was last year, technical ability or not, is he worth keeping. Not sure how you made the jump from what i said to what you thought I implied.
Well then why state the obvious? Any player that is a liability should not be in our first team.

The person that you responded to posted that even if he is not the most technically gifted he has other strengths such as set pieces, you then said, and I quote:

Interesting, so, if he goes back to being a liability in midfield, not shutting people down and ambling around, but shows a threat up front from crosses / set pieces, you think he should be a starter?
The poster mentioned nothing about him being a liability but simply even if he is not the most technically gifted, he has other strengths that contribute to his overall ability. The poster did not at any point imply if he is a liability in the team then he should be kept on in our first eleven, therefore I don't understand the point in your response.

Either you are equating the poster's assessment of him not being the most technically gifted with him being a liability and if so this is a ridiculous statement to make.

Alternatively you are asking the poster if Fellaini is a liability whether he should play in the first team despite the poster not even using that term. Well that's obvious, everybody knows a player who is a liability should be dropped.

The other point could be when the poster said 'that is what he should be judged on' you replied as you did, well then obviously he does not mean Fellaini should be only judged on his set pieces just like RVP should not only be judged on his goals and assists, he means that is his best strength, his best contribution to the team and so should weigh heavily in judgement of his contribution to the team. If he is deadly from them whilst being a good central midfielder then fine, if he is deadly from them whilst being an atrocious central midfielder then obviously he is not going to be a starter.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
See now this is why I don't think he should be part of our long-term plans. At the risk of sounding too harsh lemme just preface this by stating that he was by no means our worst player overall today but has the knack for switching off/ slacking off at decisive moments :

People keep repeating about how he's a scrapper with guts and blood, adds steel to the side, doesn't lack in work ethic and so forth. But I just don't see it in the micro perspective, dude keeps ball watching with little awareness for stifling dangerous play patterns. Show some hustling ability man, pick up the pace and close Toure down, there's just one critical area he can pass to and that's in the channel behind Di Maria. Failing that, atleast try to narrow the passing window, get in the box and help your team-mates. We're down a man with 2 kids in defense as it is. Where's the passion ? Look at Di Maria, fair enough he couldn't connect but he did reasonably well to slide in considering he's a pure attacker, the effort was there, the man just has some moxy about him.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
See now this is why I don't think he should be part of our long-term plans. At the risk of sounding too harsh lemme just preface this by stating that he was by no means our worst player overall today but has the knack for switching off/ slacking off at decisive moments :

People keep repeating about how he's a scrapper with guts and blood, adds steel to the side, doesn't lack in work ethic and so forth. But I just don't see it in the micro perspective, dude keeps ball watching with little awareness for stifling dangerous play patterns. Show some hustling ability man, pick up the pace and close Toure down, there's just one critical area he can pass to and that's in the channel behind Di Maria. Failing that, atleast try to narrow the passing window, get in the box and help your team-mates. We're down a man with 2 kids in defense as it is. Where's the passion ? Look at Di Maria, fair enough he couldn't connect but he did reasonably well to slide in considering he's a pure attacker, the effort was there, the man just has some moxy about him.
That's nitpicking, in my opinion.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys

He's blocking off 2 potential passes there, Di Maria should have had the 3rd covered.

dirkey

Well then why state the obvious? Any player that is a liability should not be in our first team.

The person that you responded to posted that even if he is not the most technically gifted he has other strengths such as set pieces, you then said, and I quote:

The poster mentioned nothing about him being a liability but simply even if he is not the most technically gifted, he has other strengths that contribute to his overall ability. The poster did not at any point imply if he is a liability in the team then he should be kept on in our first eleven, therefore I don't understand the point in your response.

Either you are equating the poster's assessment of him not being the most technically gifted with him being a liability and if so this is a ridiculous statement to make.

Alternatively you are asking the poster if Fellaini is a liability whether he should play in the first team despite the poster not even using that term. Well that's obvious, everybody knows a player who is a liability should be dropped.

The other point could be when the poster said 'that is what he should be judged on' you replied as you did, well then obviously he does not mean Fellaini should be only judged on his set pieces just like RVP should not only be judged on his goals and assists, he means that is his best strength, his best contribution to the team and so should weigh heavily in judgement of his contribution to the team. If he is deadly from them whilst being a good central midfielder then fine, if he is deadly from them whilst being an atrocious central midfielder then obviously he is not going to be a starter.
You're completely misunderstanding me. I didn't at all imply what the original poster said. The original poster said that he has other strengths, such as being a danger at free kicks. I was simply asking if the poster thought that even with those strengths, if the rest of his game was proving a liability, that he should go into the team. I personally don't, if he goes back to being the way he was last year.

dirkey

Another good game today from Fellaini. Fair play to him, hopefully continues to prove me wrong. Proved to be a bright spot today, one of the few I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.