Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I genuinely think that if you did nothing but make him a few inches shorter and give him a hair cut, quite a few people would have a higher opinion of his technical ability.
He's not a flashy player, doesn't try flicks and tricks* and being tall will always look a bit ungainly so it's an easy (and slightly lazy) criticism to accuse him of lacking technique.

To be fair, he's no Paul Scholes but his touch is reliable and he is really consistent with the direction and weight of his passing. That's something I really like about him as a CM. Nearly always picks the right pass and delivers it right where he wants it. Not over 30-50 yards but in terms of the 5-10 yard short passes that keep things ticking over in midfield. It's a really useful attribute in the type of football Van Gaal has us playing and has to be a big factor in him continuing to get games. Van Gaal doesn't strike me as the type of manager who values central midfielders on the basis of their chest control and strength in the air.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Fecking hell, this Hererra vs Fellaini stuff was tiresome enough before the game against Hull. Why on earth is it still going after a game where they both played well as part of the same XI?!
apparently hating Fellaini requires building Herrera up into the best player who ever played to make a sharper comparison with Fellaini. Or something. Hate certainly twists logic.

MDFC Manager

Fecking hell, this Hererra vs Fellaini stuff was tiresome enough before the game against Hull. Why on earth is it still going after a game where they both played well as part of the same XI?!
Further to that, it's blindingly obvious that the two of them are different types of players, as evidenced by the different roles they have been playing in games. Yet for some reason it's being seen as Herrera vs Fellaini.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Further to that, it's blindingly obvious that the two of them are different types of players, as evidenced by the different roles they have been playing in games. Yet for some reason it's being seen as Herrera vs Fellaini.
I actually think they complement each other very well. As it stands, I would like to see Van Gaal play Fellaini, Hererra and Carrick as a midfield three in every game from here on. A really good blend of attributes, with each bringing something different to the table and complementing each other's strengths and weaknesses really well.

Loublaze

ATLien
Well Fellaini has been starting at the expense of Herrera. Herrera was introduced early because of Di Maria's injury. It makes perfect sense to compare them as going forward they'll be vying for the same spot in the team when everyone is fit. Two different players who offer different things but yes, they are competing for one spot without a doubt.

MDFC Manager

I actually think they complement each other very well. As it stands, I would like to see Van Gaal play Fellaini, Hererra and Carrick as a midfield three in every game from here on. A really good blend of attributes, with each bringing something different to the table and complementing each other's strengths and weaknesses really well.
Pretty much. In some games, yes one of them might lose out but I think it's bloody great situation to be in that the manager has a dilemma of that sort. It's also great that both Herrera and Fellaini aren't the stroppy kind and will wait for and take their chances when they get them. That's the kind of competition for places and attitude that we need to put us back on top.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Well Fellaini has been starting at the expense of Herrera. Herrera was introduced early because of Di Maria's injury. It makes perfect sense to compare them as going forward they'll be vying for the same spot in the team when everyone is fit. Two different players who offer different things but yes, they are competing for one spot without a doubt.
No they aren't. When Di Maria gets fit he can play as part of a front three ahead of both Fellaini and Herrera.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Yeah. They should both start on merit the next few games, at least until di Maria is back.

bugmat

Thats cos he was an utter shambles last season.

This idea that a players current form dictates how good/bad he was previously irks me.
THis - he was poor last year bar one or tow games (mostly in Europe) but this year he's been much better and more like the player we saw at Everton. I hope he keeps improving though I still prefer Herrera to him for most games - find way to play them ALL Louis!

jeff_goldblum

Well Fellaini has been starting at the expense of Herrera. Herrera was introduced early because of Di Maria's injury. It makes perfect sense to compare them as going forward they'll be vying for the same spot in the team when everyone is fit.
I don't think that's really true, it disregards the fact that they're completely different players with completely different roles in the team. When Herrera came on against Hull it was as a #10 and it was probably his best game for us. He's a good tackler and works very hard but he's still far more an offensively minded player than an all-rounder, which is why we look far more defensively solid with Fellaini playing in a box-to-box role in front of a DM than we were when Herrera was playing the same role earlier in the season.

Ultimately, Herrera's not competing with Fellaini, he's competing with the likes of Mata and Di Maria either for that more offensive midfield role or the #10 position. Since LvG seems determined to play Di Maria elsewhere, I expect to see Herrera and Fellaini starting together a lot more, which is what they both deserve at this moment in time.

Last edited:

Maroo

This.

I think its a fantastic set of attributes to have - Passing and defensive shield (Carrick); Functionality, Physicality, Potential goals, Winning back balls (Fellaini); Speed, Movement off the ball, Incisive balls, Creativity (Herrera). In fact, I'd say Herrera is possibly competing with Mata and maybe Rooney as the role of the third midfielder (On occasions, not always) and Fellaini should be starting most games (In this form, at least).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
This.

I think its a fantastic set of attributes to have - Passing and defensive shield (Carrick); Functionality, Physicality, Potential goals, Winning back balls (Fellaini); Speed, Movement off the ball, Incisive balls, Creativity (Herrera). In fact, I'd say Herrera is possibly competing with Mata and maybe Rooney as the role of the third midfielder (On occasions, not always) and Fellaini should be starting most games (In this form, at least).
Yes. I've thought this since pre-season. He seems much better suited to playing in behind the strikers than in deeper areas of the pitch. An attacking midfielder with any eye for a through ball who also excels at pressing high up the pitch.

Maroo

Yes. I've thought this since pre-season. He seems much better suited to playing in behind the strikers than in deeper areas of the pitch. An attacking midfielder with any eye for a through ball who also excels at pressing high up the pitch.
Yeah. Also, I'd not be very happy with a midfield two of Carrick and Fellaini - and Herrera seems like the best option for a 3rd midfielder (the most advanced as you've stated). Suddenly, these three make me feel optimistic!

Poor Januzaj. As if he did not have enough number of guys to compete with

Roboc7

He is doing well and is a solid 6-7 out of 10 every game now which is a massive improvement compared to last season but in the context of this season is nothing to get excited about yet. I like the physical presence he brings but I still think his passing inhibits us slightly, too often he plays the obvious and safe pass, he often doesn’t see the right pass or is a bit too slow on the ball.

If he can improve that area of his game then he should be able to kick on and I think he will have to eventually if he wants to keep his place, our early season problems made the physicality necessary but if we continue to improve our play and with players returning from injury that need could decrease.

I am still convinced that longer term he shouldn’t be anything other than a squad player because I don’t think we will ever see the player he was at Everton as he won’t get to play the same role, be a focal point and we won’t play as direct. Ultimately I believe we will sign a CM with a physical presence who is better on the ball to achieve what we want to achieve but in the meantime he is a useful player.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ouh! I need to apologize, i shouldn't have doubted him.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Somebody posted that Ronaldo header against Roma today, he must be reading this forum. He's really sprinted for it in the last couple of meters, fantastic goal.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
I just realised i accidentally put him as first to score as well. He saved me from my own stupidity.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
fecking hell, what an improvement, an absolute lesson in why you need to give players time.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Somebody posted that Ronaldo header against Roma today, he must be reading this forum. He's really sprinted for it in the last couple of meters, fantastic goal.
Was thinking the same thing. Not quite Ronny's intensity but definitely reminiscent.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Great player. Never doubted him.

Jev

If he hadn't sat down to cry over nothing, he might have been able to trace their goalscorer. Still a few comedy bits here and there but overall he's doing okay, though.

Kostur

海尔的老板
If he hadn't sat down to cry over nothing, he might have been able to trace their goalscorer. Still a few comedy bits here and there but overall he's doing okay, though.
Daily reminder that we're playing with feckin 4 defenders at the back and other two central midfielders.

But yea, he should stop doing backheels and flicks ( with which he's released Herrera around 5th minute ) and shouldn't have cried there.

Good God.

jeff_goldblum

He doesn't have prior form for pretending to be hurt so it's interesting that a few people are happy to assume the worst and stick the boot in. He's had another good half.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
He's been one of our best players, I echo the shouts of neck strain.

Jev

Going out on a limb here but I suspect his pain was genuine.

Very strange though. Must have trapped a nerve.
I just don't get why the footballer's instinctive reaction to pain is throwing yourself to the ground. You don't see that happening anywhere else. I get it if you're trying to force a foul or waste time but that wasn't the case here.

FromTheBench

Nah, he might have prevented Herrera from coming across needlessly when 3 players were there already vs 1 tho.

He would have followed Bojan.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I'm sure he'll be fine. Probably one of those annoying neck spasms that hurt for a minute or two.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Not sure, thought he was trying to get the game stopped as he failed to win it in important area

Apart from that he has been our best player.

Status
Not open for further replies.