Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverman

He played well but he looks very uncomfortable on the ball. Would prefer a passer in there personally.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He is a starter, nothing else to say.

Bwuk

Played very well again. Him and Pogba were absolute monsters in midfield today.

fallengt

I'm impressed. After 3 seasons, he's suddenly clicked. What went right ?

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I have been impressed by his discipline - staying back and allowing his midfield partner to get forward. I have always said that Fellaini's best position is playing box to box with a holding player like Carrick behind him, but had another cracking game tonight in a midfield two.

That said, I dont think he is playing much differently to how he normally has (aside from being a bit more disciplined). He is the same player and doing the same sorts of thing as always, its just that now the team as a whole is playing better so suddenly the anti-Fellaini mist seems to have been lifted for some folk.

I find it quite funny after year upon year of "We will never win anything with Fellaini as a starter" from a lot of posters on here.

Ace of Spades

Looks a different player, then again all of the players have been pretty good so far. A good manager makes all the difference.

Also, another clean game, the focus he has shown so far is great.

Celestiale

I've backed him to the hilt.

But then I thought Schneiderlin would be a surefire hit.

Everyone here is hit and miss on the predictions.
Schneiderlin is a very good player as well, but we can't play with 20 men unfortunately. In most Prem teams (probably all apart from Tottenham) Schneiderlin would be a sure starter, if not the star in the team.

waza7111

Looks a completely different player to last season. On this form he is undroppable and rightly so.

Flying_Heckfish

He looked quite disciplined tonight, did the simple stuff well and stuck to his task. He's got the physical attributes for a Mourinho midfielder. There are still massive questions about his technical ability and mentality, though. It's encouraging at least.

What he had in his favour in this game was that he was never really isolated 1-on-1 - when that happens it's always an arse-twitching moment! He didn't bomb on indiscriminately either - though I suppose Pogba can add that height now so it's not unsurprising.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I've backed him to the hilt.
I am definitely not the only one, but I like to think I have probably been his most stalwart defender on here over the last 2-3 years.

prath92

I think he can be excellent in the DM role against the smaller teams. I remember in Moyes' season where he came back from injury to dominate the midfield vs crystal palace west brom and all before struggling vs city.

The United

He does not look a different player. He has always been like that. It is just CAF mood is changing.

He is a very decent player for the role he plays atm. Of course having better players around helps.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Played very well he looks a revitalised player under mourinho much like Tony V

Ludens the Red

Mourinho has taught Fellaini how to play the Makelele role, the man is a genius.
The role requires a person to have positional discipline, to not commit silly fouls, to not dive into tackles, to pass the ball to a team mate..
These are all things the normal Fellaini can't do.
Amazing..

Kazi

He does not look a different player. He has always been like that. It is just CAF mood is changing.

He is a very decent player for the role he plays atm. Of course having better players around helps.
I agree. He's the same player, just doing a more disciplined job.

Brightonian

Very impressive. I can still see him being savaged by a better forward line though. Southampton's quality this season is all midfielders, not attackers. We'll need to see him against a Mané or Mahrez before judging whether he's really good enough in that position.

BarstoolProphet

No he hasn't. We have limited his responsibility to shield the defense only and he intercepts left, right and centre. Great to see. He's a limited player but looks really good with great players around him.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best

I have always liked fellaini

But his role is definitely different and he is performing it to a tee

Ludens the Red

Mourinho has taught Fellaini how to play the Makelele role, the man is a genius.
The role requires a person to have positional discipline, to not commit silly fouls, to not dive into tackles, to pass the ball to a team mate..
These are all things the normal Fellaini can't do.
Amazing..

Mike09

Is he going to get another 5.0 rating for this game? :lol:

He's brilliant again today. Pogba and Fellaini in midfield are so solid. Good combination (not just the hair :lol:)

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I am definitely not the only one, but I like to think I have probably been his most stalwart defender on here over the last 2-3 years.
:lol:

You really have. At times it looked really futile. I'd read this thread and you were leading the defense against wave after wave of hate against Marouane.

But I'm just glad a lot of people are appreciating him now.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Haven't seen the match yet, but I'm chuffed for him. He never let his head drop despite the stick he gets

Ludens the Red

Nah that's not true, Fellaini is normally rash with challenges , ill disciplined in his positional play and sloppy on the ball, he also normally chases the ball around.
Don't think this is the cafe "changing mood".

Flying_Heckfish

Very impressive. I can still see him being savaged by a better forward line though. Southampton's quality this season is all midfielders, not attackers. We'll need to see him against a Mané or Mahrez before judging whether he's really good enough in that position.
That's my worry..

Say Pogba is joinging the attack and we are caught on the break, we're back to Fellaini 1v1 on the counter and that is basically a yellow card in waiting. CBs will need to help out, Bailly looks likely, but again on a counter it's a fine line between proactive and rash.

It'll be exciting at least!

madRedDevil07

He gave plenty of room to Tadic to run onto and pass/cross/shoot. As a defensive midfielder you need to close down attackind midfielders and block shots from outside the box. He also won ball couple of times and made some decent tackles covering for Valencia. A 6.5/10 performance.

jeff jones

Supports
''ATTACK # ATTACK''
his discipline so far is the most impressive that ive seen from him under jose and his team, may it continue

JeffBoomTetris

One of our best players today. He got on with his job i.e. ball winning and doing the water carrier role. One of the reasons why we didn't get pushed around in midfield. Happy for him

MoneyMay

The way he's playing he's one of the first name on the team sheet.

Fantastic performance tonight. I never knew he had this sort of game in him.
I swear he seems fitter and faster, but it might just be him playing in a role that suits him and José's more compact organization.

He's making me eat quite a lot of humble pie if he keeps it up.
He's always had it in him... it's just that some people are quick to tell us he can't play there, using 12/13 as evidence for this, as though Fellaini hasn't played as a defensive midfielder before. In 2014, I argued that he can play in this role, and that was mostly based on what I seen from him in 11/12 and the games he played under Martinez (see Norwich game below). There was also one of the few games he played as a "defensive midfielder" for us, which was back in 13/14 against Everton at home. Did a really good job in the first half, despite having Giggs partner him. Think @Walters_19_MuFc argued the same point at the time. He definitely looks physically better than any point in his United career and he's actually alert off the ball, which is a massive contrast to the poor discipline we've been used to since he joined. Not entirely sure he's first team material, but he's done a good job in the last three games, so can't really argue with that.

The United

Nah that's not true, Fellaini is normally rash with challenges , ill disciplined in his positional play and sloppy on the ball, he also normally chases the ball around.
Don't think this is the cafe "changing mood".
You are talking about when he has a bad game.

This is Fellaini having a good game and this is how he has always looked like when he has one.

This role he is playing in this team suits him more coz he does not have to come out to do everything anymore unlike the previous 2 United teams where he had to sprint to cover the likes of Carricks, be a threat up front after passing the ball to the wings, be dirty etc.

He does not have to do it all now. But, nothing has changed with his ability to play simple and keep the ball moving around.

Status
Not open for further replies.