5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

prtk0811

If he keeps giving these performances he'll be very important player for us even in big games. Mourinho is getting the best out of him. He's doing all the things right for hich he was critisized for earlier.

The second goal came due to his pressing that he intercepted the ball which lukaku created an assist for mkh.

Safa Boy

He did okay, but I would much rather see Herrera playing in his position. It's only after he came on that we started to really control the midfield. Not saying Fellaini should be dropped though. I think he should replace Mata and play a little further forward where he can do the most damage. At least until Pogba comes back.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He is a good stop-gap player. Should be nowhere near the starting team, unless no other player at his position is fit. But he can be very reliable at defending set pieces, though.

Gerald G

He was very disciplined yesterday. Clearly didn't have a lot of licence to go forward but was defensively pretty good and pressed well for our 2nd goal. I still think Matic--Herrera will be the better 2 in midfield but I can't complain about that performance from Fellaini.

stevoc

Really poor first half, better in the second but just Doesn't have ability to play in a midfield two, was lucky matic able to cover for him. Everton were able to match his physicality so other than wining ball back a few times he was a passenger, lucky we were playing poor side.
Yeah this is the problem in a nutshell. He did alright yesterday defensively but provided little going forward. His worst form in a United shirt has came while playing in a 2 man midfield and we seen again yesterday why.

If we continue with a Matic Fellaini combo while Pogba is out i think we will struggle. With him in there we tend to get dominated in midfield. Would much prefer a 3 man midfield with Herrera beside Matic and Fellaini further up if he is playing. I think that suits him much better.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Had to check some stats to make sure I wasn't losing my mind by thinking he was a bit shit. He completed 41 out of 51 passes (80% completion) Which is a big step down from Matic who completed 75 out of 83 (90%)

Even Schneiderlin (who is getting roundly derided in his thread) passed the ball more often and more accurately (65 out of 69 @ 94%) Ditto Gueye (55 out of 61 @ 90%) Schneiderlin also made more tackles than Fellaini fwiw.

If you're playing with two central midfielders and one of them makes by far the least passes out of all the other midfielders in the game (and one out of every 5 of these goes to an opposition player) then you're always going to struggle. Which is exactly what happened. A fairly poor Everton team had more possession than us. At Old Trafford. Which is fairly fecking shoddy and entirely Fellaini's fault because Matic was absolutely excellent. So yeah, I stand by my initial assessment. He was poor.

VP

He was definitely the worst midfielder on the pitch.

People are saying he had a decent game by his standards which is just bizarre because that's just a terribly low benchmark.

Oldham

Thought him and Matic were very good. Fellaini definitely had a good game in a defensive role...

AdnanRED

Didn't get to watch the whole game but I did notice a crucial interception for our 2nd goal, well done Fella. He has improved massively under Jose, seems more disciplined, confident and can follow instructions better.

ZDwyr

I thought he was a little poor in the first half but better in the second. Definitely not what I'd classify as a 'good' performance, but don't think he was poor either. He was alright, maybe slightly below average. As long as he and Herrera contribute and are relatively solid until Pogba is back then I'll take it.

Litch

Did what it says on his tin and would go as far to say, we would have won at Stoke if he was available

Icemav

Played well yesterday. Limited in his ability to spread play but thats what you get. Harrassed Everton for the whole 90.

We were wank up front. Midfield was solid though missing a bit of Pogba imagination... but unrealistic to think Fellaini could imitate Pog's exact role.

RaptorSlo

Surprised to see him one of the lowest rated players vs Everton.

I thought he's done really well winning the balls back for most of the game.

Valencia Shin Crosses

As much as I normally can't stand seeing him anywhere near a pitch, he has actually surprised me in terms of his composure and passing. In past years he was terrified to make anything other than a 5 yard pass, and was an absolute liability positioning-wise. However, he's played much better this year, making decent enough passes and playing with much more confidence, even if he is still prone to clumsy errors. As much as I expect out of him at least.

Rane

I didn't feel he was particularly impressive yesterday, which is a shame. He was sloppy at times and the lack of focus that often afflicts him came back to the fore. Seemed off the pace when on the ball. A backward step from a great opportunity. He's had far better games in that position. If you compare his contribution to the one provided by Matic (who was excellent) there was a clear gulf.

After his contribution against Basel I was sure he would bring that level into his first start of the season. I can't praise him for an average at best performance, particularly in light of his recent standards and also the minimum standard I expect from a United midfielder.

If he is rightly praised for positive contributions he should also be objectively criticised when he fails to build on that. Expect a lot more in his next start. Standards cannot be lowered for him. He's a £30 million player.

serxyo

Is it real that he refused to sign a new contract? Saw it in croatian newspapers and nobody wrote a thing about it here.

Kapardin

I didn't feel he was particularly impressive yesterday, which is a shame. He was sloppy at times and the lack of focus that often afflicts him came back to the fore. Seemed off the pace when on the ball. A backward step from a great opportunity. He's had far better games in that position. If you compare his contribution to the one provided by Matic (who was excellent) there was a clear gulf.

After his contribution against Basel I was sure he would bring that level into his first start of the season. I can't praise him for an average at best performance, particularly in light of his recent standards and also the minimum standard I expect from a United midfielder.

If he is rightly praised for positive contributions he should also be objectively criticised when he fails to build on that. Expect a lot more in his next start. Standards cannot be lowered for him. He's a £30 million player.
True. Then again, I am not sure if his instructions were to be more defensive. He is woeful when he is just mopping up.

But yes, he was wank for sure, upon reflection.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Quite interesting that both he and Mata, both of Moyes' major signings, are playing very regularly for both van Gaal and Mourinho. Fellaini, in particular, was very unjustly scapegoated under Moyes, whereas I'd have more issue with the likes of Ferdinand and Vidic who downed tools under him.

Rane

Not sure why it would be interesting that Mata is playing regularly? He's a terrific player.

Fellaini wasn't unfairly treated, he was absolutely woeful under Moyes. He's improved since because he's been managed better and used more effectively. He's also playing with better teammates.

Not sure why you would feel the need to attack club icons such as Rio and Vidic to simply improve the perception of Fellaini. He was a £30 million signing at the time and he was awful. Those two also underperformed during the Moyes tenure but to suggest they downed tools is insulting to them.

el3mel

Saved us the 3 points with that clearance, however, I think his combination with Matic isn't working well and we're struggling to control the games with it, though. He's doing his job as best as he can, it's just they're not a good combination.

Kag

Not sure why it would be interesting that Mata is playing regularly? He's a terrific player.

Fellaini wasn't unfairly treated, he was absolutely woeful under Moyes. He's improved since because he's been managed better and used more effectively. He's also playing with better teammates.

Not sure why you would feel the need to attack club icons such as Rio and Vidic to simply improve the perception of Fellaini. He was a £30 million signing at the time and he was awful. Those two also underperformed during the Moyes tenure but to suggest they downed tools is insulting to them.
I'll never get this revisionism.

Fellaini actually had good games under Moyes, but his detractors refused to acknowledge them. I remember this well because I regularly felt as if I had to defend him.

Now, we're at a point in which average to poor games are inflated into good performances, in that winning a few duels and passing the ball in a straight line is hilariously praised as some sort of fantastic peformance.

Narratives are funny, old things.

Devil may care

He tries hard but it's clear we can't control the game with such an immobile and technically limited player in a midfield 2, Southampton were getting at us with Lemina and Davis too easily.

Kostur

海尔的老板
He tries hard but it's clear we can't control the game with such an immobile and technically limited player in a midfield 2, Southampton were getting at us with Lemina and Davis too easily.
Yeah it sort of makes sense when they've had Romeu behind them playing as a midfield 3 against our two whole game.

Devil may care

Yeah it sort of makes sense when they've had Romeu behind them playing as a midfield 3 against our two whole game.
He was Mkhi's job when we didn't have the ball, but Lemina was the one that was causing him the problems whenever the ball was on the ground.

DenisIrwin

I'll never get this revisionism.

Fellaini actually had good games under Moyes, but his detractors refused to acknowledge them. I remember this well because I regularly felt as if I had to defend him.

Now, we're at a point in which average to poor games are inflated into good performances, in that winning a few duels and passing the ball in a straight line is hilariously praised as some sort of fantastic peformance.

Narratives are funny, old things.
Have to agree.

Godfather

Decent. Him and Matic left our defence too often exposed though. There were some huge gaps to exploit for Soton.

Status
Not open for further replies.