海尔的老板
Answer me this did Fellaini play well?
Did United play well?
Did Young Boys deserve their draw?

Answer those and came back to me
No.
No
No.

Now go on with your mental gymnastics and explain how 'no way did he deserve to score the winner' makes any sense and how those three idiotic questions are relevant to the idiotic statement you spewed in the first place. Good luck with that.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Why would I comment on Rashford's performance in Fellaini's thread? Our whole attacking unit was sub-par, but playing Fellaini from the start limits our play massively.
I didnt expect you to comment on Rashford's performance. Your comment simply made no sense since we controlled the midfield for the vast majority of the game where Fellaini played. Only for the attackers to mess up several 1v1s. We then brought on Pogba, moved Matic to defence and Fellaini up top and we scored.

Our problem was not getting the ball to our forwards, Rashford and Martial saw the ball plenty in dangerous positions and kept on messing up. The midfield worked fine, which Fellaini was a part of for most of the game.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I thought that he was shit, frankly, and one of the biggest (literally as well as figuratively) reasons behind our toothless attacking display. Aside from the goal, obviously, fair play to him.
This 100%. His touch was terrible. His vision was terrible. His actual passes were terrible.

Playing him and Matic was overkill. Should have just played one of them and then mata as the ten.

Konimey

Can't really hate the guy. He is doing his best and delivering to his capacity despite him being very limited.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Insulting another member
No.
No
No.

Now go on with your mental gymnastics and explain how 'no way did he deserve to score the winner' makes any sense and how those three idiotic questions are relevant to the idiotic statement you spewed in the first place. Good luck with that.
Ok you're obviously mentally challenged so let me spell it out, if Fellaini didn't play well and United didn't play well and didn't deserve to win...

Acquire Me

Did United play well?

Fellaini got us to the business end of CL with his goal. He scores after a pretty average game. In my book, thats a real pro never giving up. Good fecking game from him.

We had our moments tonight. End product missing though.

Young Boys deserved nothing. Except the DDG save they had nothing.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Ok you're obviously mentally challenged so let me spell it out,
Did United play well?

Are you sure I'm the mentally challenged one? Not sure why you'd come up with such disgusting insult in the first place. Just because neither Fellaini nor us played well, it doesn't mean that Young Boys deserved shit from this game, nor does it mean that he 'didn't deserve to score the winner'. Unless you continue your 2+2=5 bullshit, that is.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Are you sure I'm the mentally challenged one? Not sure why you'd come up with such disgusting insult in the first place. Just because neither Fellaini nor us played well, it doesn't mean that Young Boys deserved shit from this game, nor does it mean that he 'didn't deserve to score the winner'. Unless you continue your 2+2=5 bullshit, that is.
I'm sorry but I'm hardly going to take you telling me to feck off am I? If you said that to me face to face I'd slap the taste out of your mouth but alas as I'm behind a keyboard I'll insult you just as you did to me

Don't dish it out lad

gza the genius

It's true though, I agree with the OP. His performance summed up everything that's wrong with the club at the moment. Way too slow transitioning from defence into attack, severe lack of urgency, intelligence and technical ability, and managing to paper over the cracks with a goal from a long ball.
This. We wouldn't need a last minute winner from him if our style of play was more modern. Instead Jose insists on having the slowest midfield duo possible and refuses to let other players have even the slightest chance.

It's not Fellaini's fault but it's honestly frustrating to me that he scored because I'm sure in Jose's mind that vindicates his team selection etc and now nothing needs changing.

Foxbatt

It is not because of Fellaini we were so poor today. It was because our strikers missed chance after chance. We should have been about 5 up. The midfield was because of Jose playing and keeping Matic on game after game. He did what he does best. It was not even a header for a long ball goal.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
No other team in the top six would play him in the ten position. He does not have the skill, the control, the vision, the decision process, to play there.

They might play him in the holding MF position. But not the ten.

Starting him in the ten tonight was overkill. Mata or even pogba would have been much better.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Arguing with another member
I'm sorry but I'm hardly going to take you telling me to feck off am I? If you said that to me face to face I'd slap the taste out of your mouth but alas as I'm behind a keyboard I'll insult you just as you did to me

Don't dish it out lad
:lol:

Honestly, do us all a favour, yourself included, and just feck off.

ROFLUTION

Ok you're obviously mentally challenged so let me spell it out, if Fellaini didn't play well and United didn't play well and didn't deserve to win...
What the hell is wrong with this place? Guy scores us the winner in a solo-action, give the man some credit.

ABC of Football

The most depressing thing about where united are, is that fellani actually does okay for us. He’s a useful player to have, but honestly, every time I see him in a united shirt, it reminds me, where we are at the moment

Red Royal

Boring match as usual.... Big Fella causing the usual Red Cafe split on his worthiness of wearing a red shirt is funny though. Get over it lads, he is a limited player who tries 100% every game. Much like any one of us would. It is up to the likes of Herera, Fred, Pogba and co to make him not pickable.... but that isn’t happening is it.

Ace of Spades

He was shit for the whole game (as the rest of the team), but still scored a good goal. He has his uses, but he can be much better than what he showed today.

Based Adnan

One of the main reasons we play so slow and our midfield is so uncreative. Not to mention he literally missed an open goal. No doubt his goal will keep him in the squad for many matches to come though, can't wait....

Sterling Archer

Did United play well?

If you're going to use that kind of logic, Arsenal would be the better team of the 90s and 00s mate.

It's understandable to be frustrated and not exactly elated after the win today. But what's the point in taking it out on our matchwinner?

Canagel

Fellaini being our best player/finisher whatever in a period we're miles away from challenging for PL and CL says it all . Nothing against him personally but we need to move on if we want to compete for bigger things.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Your comment simply made no sense since we controlled the midfield for the vast majority of the game where Fellaini played. Only for the attackers to mess up several 1v1s.
We expect different things from midfielders then. I don't think that we controlled the midfield because control means something more than simply retaining possession against an opponent that doesn't challenge you. And Fellaini, who was playing as an attacking midfielder in a 4-2-3-1, failed to do anything of note creatively — only when Pogba came on our midfield began to kinda successfully move the ball forward.

It's probably a burden of expectations from my side. A central player in the 4-2-3-1 has to be the most creative one, the fantasista, and we have Fellaini there. He has his uses, which he showed with his well-taken goal (although I don't think that starting him is a good idea for any game), but not in this role and not in this formation.

Andersons Dietician

The first 30 minutes some of his touches were quite frankly shockingly good. Still you can see his limitations, had so many opportunities to play the killer pass and for whatever reason he just doesn’t see them or decides against risking it. Always goes for the easy pass.

Sterling Archer

No other team in the top six would play him in the ten position. He does not have the skill, the control, the vision, the decision process, to play there.

They might play him in the holding MF position. But not the ten.

Starting him in the ten tonight was overkill. Mata or even pogba would have been much better.
Thing is we bought him from Everton pretty much after a few good seasons of him doing exactly that for them ...

The Toffies fans I know say he's much better in an advanced position, having watched him for a fair few years. So it should be nothing new seeing him up there. We United fans are just used to a player of more...erm..grace up there.

And fact remains, if we had another player that has been being pushed up top and scoring late goals as often as Fellaini has, we probably would use him . But we don't .

cjj

Supports
Spurs
I always think it's quite odd how many important goals Fellaini pops up with, yet he seems to be one of the most disliked players by United fans.

Can't help but feel sometimes that he's the post-Fergie scapegoat, more so than Moyes (who, himself, was harshly treated).

Stadjer

I used to dislike him since he is basically the posterboy for everything which happened when Ferguson retired... Terrible manager bought a player who is limited in his footballing ability for more money than was needed...

Fellaini doesnt have the talent to be a worldclass player, he is worldclass at his specific qualities but those qualities arent the type of qualities you expect for a club with the ambition to win the league/cl. I dont dislike him anymore.. i like him a lot more than most of our other players now. He tries his best, does what he can to help the team with his qualities and doesnt complain. He could be a poweful weapon if kept in the selection but he shouldnt be ''Plan A'' as people describe it.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
We expect different things from midfielders then. I don't think that we controlled the midfield because control means something more than simply retaining possession against an opponent that doesn't challenge you. And Fellaini, who was playing as an attacking midfielder in a 4-2-3-1, failed to do anything of note creatively — only when Pogba came on our midfield began to kinda successfully move the ball forward.

It's probably a burden of expectations from my side. A central player in the 4-2-3-1 has to be the most creative one, the fantasista, and we have Fellaini there. He has his uses, which he showed with his well-taken goal (although I don't think that starting him is a good idea for any game), but not in this role and not in this formation.
If you think Fellaini was being deployed as a creator then I can't really say much since he basically never passed forward and passed to Matic or the wide player almost every time he got the ball. He had two main roles, first was to clean up the second balls so Matic and Fred can move the ball forward and second was to stay on the last line to receive the ball when attacking.

Fellaini almost never played in the space between the defence and midfield of young boys. That's where no.10 usually play, so they can recieve the ball on the half turn and pick a pass.

I don't think you can call what we played a 4-2-3-1, and especially Fellaini as behind the striker. Fellaini was almost always in line with the striker when attacking, usually aon the furthest centre back.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
If you think Fellaini was being deployed as a creator then I can't really say much since he basically never passed forward and passed to Matic or the wide player almost every time he got the ball.
That's the fecking point :)

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Loved that! Cut his hair and scores with his legs, great:lol:

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Our uniquely belligerent tactic of letting him play in whatever position he fecking wants to for four whole years has certainly reaped the expected dividends...

I mean, we’re an ugly mid-table side that relies on desperate hoof ball to get results. So you can’t say it isn’t working.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Its frustrating when people use a player as an example of the failings of an entire group. He's not the problem. In terms of midfield? We have a bit of variation but defensively we have issues and outwide we have issues and the forward line. We've problems all over the park and many players have heart but lack quality and some have quality but lack maturity etc. We played a hopeful ball forward, Lukaku flicks it on and Felliani does what you would want from any striker in this instance.

Fellaini offers more defensive stability, a target man, and he's capable of scoring goals. He's not the problem and some that use him as a scape goat are just impossible. This is a player, made to feel unwelcome because of their prejudice. We COULD have went to Valencia and lost and we'd be in the Europa. It was such a big goal and you get people still unable to accept squad players/ rotation he's a very good to have. He won't be on crazy money unlike some who produce far less when it actually matters.

If you are Pogba, we have no real width and even when we do, it's inconsistent. It's not really quick. It's not really creative. We are limited in a lot of areas. We are an inbalanced team/squad. Rashford is not proven goalscorer and is young. Martial is similar and is young. We rely heavily on them. There is so much wrong with this team - especially when you see the lack of movement. What are the coaches telling these players?

But what are some of these players thinking? At the minute we're like a deer in headlights. A team that intimidates itself let alone the opposition. You make statements in football. A club that didn't back the manager and a club that talks of value and when the chance to sign Ronaldo etc ..sits on its hands? Is going no where fast.

Last edited:

stevoc

Great goal, wank performance. Needing a last minute Fellaini goal from a long punt forward in a home game against a team like Young Boys is a sad snapshot of where we are as a club right now. We're through to the knock-outs but i'm not sure we have any business being there, performances at home will have to be way better.

Our uniquely belligerent tactic of letting him play in whatever position he fecking wants to for four whole years has certainly reaped the expected dividends...

I mean, we’re an ugly mid-table side that relies on desperate hoof ball to get results. So you can’t say it isn’t working.
Sad but true.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Its frustrating when people use a player as an example of the failings of an entire group.
Fair. He's more an example of the failings of the entire Post-SAF era.

He's not the problem.
He is a problem, though.

In terms of midfield? We have a bit of variation but defensively we have issues and outwide we have issues and the forward line.
Fellaini played in all those positions tonight. As he does most nights, in fairness.

We've problems all over the park
We do. He's one of them.

We played a hopeful ball forward, Lukaku flicks it on and Felliani does what you would want from any striker in this instance.
Indeed....Wait, why is Fellaini playing as a striker?

Fellaini offers more defensive stability
He was playing as a striker for the entire game

a target man
Our main target man. That's the problem.

and he's capable of scoring goals.
As our main defacto target man, sure. That's the problem.

He's not the problem
He is a problem, though

This is a player, made to feel unwelcome because of their prejudice.
Yeah! feck the Belgians!

It was such a big goal and you get people still unable to accept squad players/ rotation he's a very good to have.
He's not a squad player. He's our manager's favourite multi-tasking wild card Plan A, B & C. Who started in a midfield two with another 30+ year old favourite against a team called Young Boys!

He won't be on crazy money unlike some who produce far less when it actually matters.
He literally just held us to randsom for another contract.

We are limited in a lot of areas.
One being playing Fellaini and Matic at home against a team called Young Boys!

We are an inbalanced team/squad.
We certainly have too many attackers. Yet we still manage to play Fellaini and Matic at home against a team called Young Boys.... YOUNG BOYS!!!

There is so much wrong with this team
Fellaini and Matic, maybe?

especially when you see the lack of movement.
From Fellaini and Matic, maybe?

What are the coaches telling these players?
Apparently, that you're not good enough to displace the likes of Fellaini and Matic?

jem

I always think it's quite odd how many important goals Fellaini pops up with, yet he seems to be one of the most disliked players by United fans.

Can't help but feel sometimes that he's the post-Fergie scapegoat, more so than Moyes (who, himself, was harshly treated).
I was in full agreement, nodding along until....

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona

It's not a personal problem, is what he represents if you compare United in the last years vs what United should've been the last seasons.

As we say in Spain, he represents this "Swim so much just to choke on the shore" thing that happens since Ferguson left, there's this potential, money is thrown around, good managers come and go, wages are on par with other top teams and at the end... not a UCL or PL good run to show for it, just 2nd tier trophies or an odd 2nd place finish.

Anyone that wants United to regain ground in Europe hates on Fellaini because he's not the kind of player your team fields on a big night at a UCL Semifinal or the last fixture game with the title on the line, yet he keeps working his hardest and saving this team from some embarrassments that may lead to some changes.

You draw today at home vs the underdogs, that could mean going to the EL again and suddenly the club starts looking for alternatives, now they know whatever happens, Mourinho will coach United in a UCL leg next March, that means he's settled for the rest of the season.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Fellaini has been extremely underrated for a while. I said it when he was bought, but he is not a defensive midfielder for me, get him in and around the box and he is an extremely effective player.

Status
Not open for further replies.