Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The thing for me is that, when he starts, he's usually a deep CM, but he's always shown to be of most use further forwards and he only plays there when we're already behind.. I've been a big critic of his but I'd be fine with him starting if it's further forwards at this point.

Johan07

I think Fellani should be our number 9, play him centre forward and get the others to play off him. It's working every time he plays the more advanced forward. Chaps wins every header up there.
I have been advocating this for a while now. He is the best target #9 we have by far and that is so important for a counterattacking team. And its always been so important for Mourinho just that.
It would also give us a presence in the box, when in possession, which was severely lacking yesterday. I thought Alexis did well, and the attacking trio of yesterday might work really well when we are dominant in possession; but we will never be under Mourinho against an equal or better team. Then Fellaini is the better choice.
Fellaini has a damn engine on him as well and would probably be able to do as a good job pressing as Alexis does. Or at least try to. Lukaku is to heavy and does not have the stamina for any team that does some form of pressing. He is similar to Zlatan in that regard.
Let Lukaku work on his hold-up play in training and for now fight for a place at RW.

ZupZup

He causes big trouble for centre backs... he consistently wins headers, can bring the ball down. Generally controls the ball well and brings others in to play. All things Lukaku should be able to do but he has the touch of a trampoline.

Stick him up top against City and get some bodies near him to win some second balls.

T_Model101

Three elite defenders surrounding him for the winner and they still couldn't stop him

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Defenders always look awkward with him. It's no coincidence Juve shit their pants when he came on. Martial go much more joy too.

Give him a career contract, provisions being that he only starts in an injury crisis. He is a perfect plan B, throw him up front when we're losing with 20-25 to go.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Welcome back big man.

He gave them the shits
That's basically what happened and I've seen it happen in many other games.
I am positive that if Fellaini was available for the CFC game, we'd have won that.
But anyway, welcome back.

Kapardin

He causes big trouble for centre backs... he consistently wins headers, can bring the ball down. Generally controls the ball well and brings others in to play. All things Lukaku should be able to do but he has the touch of a trampoline.

Stick him up top against City and get some bodies near him to win some second balls.
This is actually true. Fellaini will be a huge asset against City, they have traditionally struggled to cope with him. Midfield of Pogba-Fellaini-Herrera could work.

Sylar

I think this is what most people wanted.

Not him starting in a 2 man midfield. But him being used in a 3 or moreso, being used as a squad player either to help protect the defence or come on to cause havoc for opposition.

RedorDead21

When we win everyone is so happy to have the guy around....be it mostly as an impact sub because he's so hard to handle...
when we lose and he's been on the pitch having him as our go to plan B is pathetic.....if he started even worse.....bringing him as a sub sums up how far we've dropped.....This place summed up really.

Red Royal

Big Fella knocking balls down to Sanchez could work on Sunday. I’d be tempted to swap him for Lingaard who looked a bit match rusty

SirAF

Ageist
Big Fella knocking balls down to Sanchez could work on Sunday. I’d be tempted to swap him for Lingaard who looked a bit match rusty
Agreed. Fellaini is, normally, not a starter but Sunday is the kind of match where he could excel.

sergiosigurvinson

He should start on Sunday or at least he should be in the starting eleven in the media so that Kompany could start shivering and ask for a sick note.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I won’t lie, I’ve missed him a bit.

Andrew~

Some of you guys need to calm down. Good on Fellaini for coming on and making an impact though.

Foxbatt

His lack of pace up front is the only problem of him not staring.
He can shoot from range too. I still remember his goal against wba when lvg was here. He brought it down on his chest, shrugged Lescott off and turned and scored from the edge of the box.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He's so effective as a supersub winning headers left and right. :lol:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Some of you guys need to calm down. Good on Fellaini for coming on and making an impact though.
You don't want any of us to be happy about winning a big game or praise one of our players?

Foxbatt

When Cruijff puts on Salinas and shifts Lineker to right wing later on a game to win, it's called brilliant masterstroke.
When Jose brings on Fellaini, it's called desperation.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Fellaini and Adama Traore are two best physical game changers in the league.

Both have faults but you cant stop them if they are catered to properly.

I'm a big fan of both.

zenith

He's incredible in the impact sub role while chasing a game. Everyone knows the game plan but nobody quite knows how to deal with it . However, it's definitely not feasible over 90 minutes because it's not possible to play an entire game like that, not to mention his technical deficiencies are badly exposed.

I for one am quite looking forward to city losing their collective heads when he comes on in the 80th minute

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
He's incredible in the impact sub role while chasing a game. Everyone knows the game plan but nobody quite knows how to deal with it . However, it's definitely not feasible over 90 minutes because it's not possible to play an entire game like that, not to mention his technical deficiencies are badly exposed.

I for one am quite looking forward to city losing their collective heads when he comes on in the 80th minute
There was a post on /r/reddevils advocating for Fellaini to start as striker. Immediately imagined the entire United team spending 90min doing nothing but lumping long balls to him. :nervous:

VoN_DamN

Is he the most physically imposing player in the world? :lol::lol: He absolutely dominated Chiellini for the winner. I'm probably exaggerating, but the guy is just so powerful.
And he even didn’t need to touch the ball! He was so threatening they closed their eyes and it went in! Seriously, he’s no eyecandy like many but he does what he’s good at for the team. He’s on the field and haters are on their keyboards. Put things in perspective, he got it right long time ago.

Fergietime@99

I have been advocating this for a while now. He is the best target #9 we have by far and that is so important for a counterattacking team. And its always been so important for Mourinho just that.
It would also give us a presence in the box, when in possession, which was severely lacking yesterday. I thought Alexis did well, and the attacking trio of yesterday might work really well when we are dominant in possession; but we will never be under Mourinho against an equal or better team. Then Fellaini is the better choice.
Fellaini has a damn engine on him as well and would probably be able to do as a good job pressing as Alexis does. Or at least try to. Lukaku is to heavy and does not have the stamina for any team that does some form of pressing. He is similar to Zlatan in that regard.
Let Lukaku work on his hold-up play in training and for now fight for a place at RW.
LVG tried him there and we were awful. His only use is moving us further up the field by sticking DDG's long kicks. He hasn't got the movement or composure to play up front

SirAF

Ageist
Is there a young version of Fellaini somewhere? He’s a fantastic asset off the bench and will be missed when Father Time catches up!

Johan07

LVG tried him there and we were awful. His only use is moving us further up the field by sticking DDG's long kicks. He hasn't got the movement or composure to play up front
I am not saying he should be the long-term solution there. I am saying that he is a better target-player than Lukaku is as of now. Even if Lukaku is fit, which he does not seem to be.
It is perfectly fair to assume that we will go long tomorrow from the back to bypass Citys press, and putting Sanchez up front will negate that tactic.
As well would putting Rashford or Martial up front. They are not target-players either.
From seeing how Mourinho has approached teams like City and Liverpool before, my guess is that he will go with a big man up front with a Martial or Sanchez playing off him. It would also mean having both Matic and Pogba protecting the back-four instead of just Matic.
Not saying that I like the idea of us playing Fella up front as a permanent solution at all, but if we will approach the game tomorrow as we have historically I would put Fella up front first name on the team sheet.
But maybe Mourinho will try to play football against City tomorrow, which would probably be disastrous but exciting at the same time. Then it will be Sanchez up front and a similar setup as the last couple of games.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Is there a young version of Fellaini somewhere? He’s a fantastic asset off the bench and will be missed when Father Time catches up!
If there is i hope we stay clear! We need to get back to using attackers who have more about them than winning long balls. They help like Yorke and Ronaldo as examples, but they offered that as well as quality in other areas. It's a wonder how we were so successful under Fergie considering we were without a Fellaini type player!

SirAF

Ageist
If there is i hope we stay clear! We need to get back to using attackers who have more about them than winning long balls. They help like Yorke and Ronaldo as examples, but they offered that as well as quality in other areas. It's a wonder how we were so successful under Fergie considering we were without a Fellaini type player!
Nothing wrong in having a squad player like Fellaini.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
If you seriously imagine Fergie would NEVER have maximised a weapon like Fellaini, you don't know him as well as you imagine. Fergie would murder with a Fellaini in his team

SirAF

Ageist
To each their own. I like my players to have more about them than winning long balls, though.
I’m not saying he should start every week, far from it, but as an option off the bench he is terrific. He can help to hang onto a lead when the oppo team is overloading the box and as we saw against Juventus he can create havoc in the other box while chasing a goal too.

Status
Not open for further replies.