Martial has got to remain at United | No, he hasn't been unfollowing United players on Instagram

King.of.Red

We beat City, Liverpool and Spurs without him I think? Rashford and Sanchez who play in his position were key in all three of those games.

People need to realise the team is fine without him and that he isn’t the only young talented footballer on this planet. If he stays he stays, if he goes he goes.
agree. we also have some exciting young talented players in our U18 team that maybe can be like new Rashford/Pogba/Lingard.

togg

Of course not. But my point is: the Martial fan boys behave as if Martial is Neymar in his prime. He isn’t. He’s an incredibly inconsistent player. United comes before a player, always has, always will.
Totally with you on this, but I've given up trying to argue this point. You won't be heard. It's like Marital is one of the bloody Beatles for some on here for goodness sake. I'm almost hoping he leaves so we don't need this discussion anymore. However, every time he'd score for his new team the thread would pop up again rather like Welbecks....we're doomed....doomed I say!

Milkman007

It's like Martial has his own fans here. Bailly hasn't played the previous games despite being fit and no one cared much about him, 2 or 3 posts at max. Martial FC is a real thing.
Its almost as if Bailly isn't linked away from the club.

Judas

Open to offers
By the same token, United traditionally nurtures and develops those with obvious talent and perseveres with them until they come good or are definitively a lost cause.

Inconsistency is part and parcel of being the age Martial is; the onus is on the management to develop him as he was never the finished article coming here at such a young age.
But its the player who seemingly wants out, and isn't putting the correct work in on the pitch. How is it the clubs fault? I'm sure Jose would keep him if possible, but he doesn't deserve to start at the moment.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Well, that ain't a bad idea if he really goes and becomes a superstar. Atleast we would have him back. But 200 mil is likely to fetch you no more than Lord Bendtner in another 4 years, considering the way the market is going.:)
They'll you'll just become another City :p

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
But its the player who seemingly wants out, and isn't putting the correct work in on the pitch. How is it the clubs fault? I'm sure Jose would keep him if possible, but he doesn't deserve to start at the moment.
You make a player feel wanted, not discarded and instantaneously dropped from the team. You can say he's getting some playing time, but it's obvious that he's not a starter for any game of importance now.

It's not about fight alone; it's about feeling wanted and like there's an even playing field, which there clearly isn't because no matter how he plays, Martial gets dropped.

Martial still has value and a number of big clubs who will go in for him. Given the circumstances, why would would, or should, he stick around?

Canagel

I really hope he stays. I don't want him to leave. We will make some changes to benefit him and the other attacking players.

Milkman007

So you're saying people weren't asking about Martial not playing any match before the news ? Maybe you need to recheck your information.
Of course people were asking, just like people where asking what was going on with Bailly.

Everyone knew Bailly had a bad injury and wouldn't play for a while so obviously there isn't going to be much activity in his thread , while Martial was on the bench many times being an unused sub.

Last edited by a moderator:

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Ultimately I think it’s down to Martial whether he stays or not (sorry for stating the fecking obvious).

Not sure if it’s mentioned a lot, but obviously Mourinho once convinced Eto’o, a #9 who had just come from a treble winning season scoring in a Chanpions League final, to play second fiddle on the left to Diego Milito.

So I’m pretty sure that if Martial would stay, Mourinho would be able to get Sanchez playing from the right and Martial from the left in siuattions where he’d feel that would make the strongest team. Mentioning this just because of the criticism he’s been getting for ‘giving’ Martial’s place to Alexis and thereby ruining Martial’s chances of playing time, life, career and whatnot.

el3mel

Of course people were asking, just like people where asking what was going on with Bailly.

Everyone knew Bailly had a bad injury and wouldn't play for a while so obviously there isn't going to be much activity in his thread , while Martial was on the bench many times being an unused sub.
Bailly has been completely fit for several matches and was on the bench against Bournemouth. He's not playing because Mourinho isn't choosing him. Not just him, Rashford also when he goes a strike of not playing much or become a bench warmers he doesn't get the same attention as Martial when he doesn't play. It's a pure fanboyism at this point if you ask me. There's no player in the squad who gets the same attention when he doesn't play as Martial.

As I said previously I love him and want him to stay as he's pure talent, but I will never like to reach the state of a fanboy for any player in the team. It's not good.

Insulting another member
While today was great, I think a lot of people are concerned that we're sacrificing a precociously gifted young player in favour of someone who is more complete now but will be 30 in a few months. Seems to go against the grain of United's tradition.

Are you even a United fan?
I’m enjoying today and a number 7 who, in the mould of Robson, Cantona, Beckham & Ronaldo, can make a huge difference in the biggest games.

I’m delighted today as a United fan, rather than a massive fanny who seems to care more about a half arsed but talented 22 year old.

perspective

Supports
Bayern München
as a Bayern fan, I can tell you a lot of us are eyeing Martial as a wing option. a good mixture of need+class+not too unavailabe...

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I’m enjoying today and a number 7 who, in the mould of Robson, Cantona, Beckham & Ronaldo, can make a huge difference in the biggest games.

I’m delighted today as a United fan, rather than a massive fanny who seems to care more about a half arsed but talented 22 year old.
You need to wind down your personal insults. They don't make your arguments more persuasive, rather they make you sound desperate to shut down others.

divad

as a Bayern fan, I can tell you a lot of us are eyeing Martial as a wing option. a good mixture of need+class+not too unavailabe...
atleast the fans of other top teams recognize talent when they see it, i will not be surprised to see him firing it up playing as an attacker opposed to a midfielder.

Dr. StrangeHate

Of course not. But my point is: the Martial fan boys behave as if Martial is Neymar in his prime. He isn’t. He’s an incredibly inconsistent player. United comes before a player, always has, always will.
United comes before a Manager's short termism. This isn't Mourinho FC.

Totally with you on this, but I've given up trying to argue this point. You won't be heard. It's like Marital is one of the bloody Beatles for some on here for goodness sake. I'm almost hoping he leaves so we don't need this discussion anymore.
However, every time he'd score for his new team the thread would pop up again rather like Welbecks....we're doomed....doomed I say!
Find one person in this thread who thinks Martial is as good as Neymar in his prime.

Mourinho is a short term manager. I don't think anyone can argue against that. In his short term thinking he can't afford to nurture Martial or Rashford just as he wasn't able to nurture KDB, Salah and Lukaku. If Mourinho had 18 year old messi or ronaldo they would have been on the bench as well in favour of established players. Mourinho's short term success is built on established players following his game plan. Now Martial and Rashford might turn out to be complete duds but the point is they don't stand a chance with Mourinho because of his short term thinking. If we can send our young players (who the club thinks have a chance) out on loan we will be in a much better position when Mourinho inevitably leaves in a year or two.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Bailly has been completely fit for several matches and was on the bench against Bournemouth. He's not playing because Mourinho isn't choosing him. Not just him, Rashford also when he goes a strike of not playing much or become a bench warmers he doesn't get the same attention as Martial when he doesn't play. It's a pure fanboyism at this point if you ask me. There's no player in the squad who gets the same attention when he doesn't play as Martial.

As I said previously I love him and want him to stay as he's pure talent, but I will never like to reach the state of a fanboy for any player in the team. It's not good.
He's the new Kevid De Bruyne though! Wouldn't you hate it if we went on to win titles galore but Martial wasn't there to share it with us? He's like a little brother you can't do that to him, he needs to play every game he's available for :wenger:.

Milkman007

He's the new Kevid De Bruyne though! Wouldn't you hate it if we went on to win titles galore but Martial wasn't there to share it with us? He's like a little brother you can't do that to him, he needs to play every game he's available for :wenger:.
I really don't think he wants to be a guaranteed starter every game, but both Martial and Rashford should be used alot more as subs getting at least 20 mins most matches. Martial is also 2 years older than Rashford and if its only one of them getting minutes as a sub the other one wont play much.

el3mel

United comes before a Manager's short termism. This isn't Mourinho FC.

Find one person in this thread who thinks Martial is as good as Neymar in his prime.

Mourinho is a short term manager. I don't think anyone can argue against that. In his short term thinking he can't afford to nurture Martial or Rashford just as he wasn't able to nurture KDB, Salah and Lukaku. If Mourinho had 18 year old messi or ronaldo they would have been on the bench as well in favour of established players. Mourinho's short term success is built on established players following his game plan. Now Martial and Rashford might turn out to be complete duds but the point is they don't stand a chance with Mourinho because of his short term thinking. If we can send our young players (who the club thinks have a chance) out on loan we will be in a much better position when Mourinho inevitably leaves in a year or two.

I don't disagree about Mourinho being a shot term manager for 4 years at best ( you aren't bringing something new ) but why are you thinking Martial will be the one who will stay long term anyway ? I see quite the opposite, Martial will be a player while we will discuss his future almost every season, because each time he doesn't play several discussions about his future arise and news roll in with contracts. That doesn't look like a player that's well settled here for long term.

What if we brought another manager next season and he didn't play Martial regularly ? Will he stay long term as well ?

Last edited:
You need to wind down your personal insults. They don't make your arguments more persuasive, rather they make you sound desperate to shut down others.
Sure mate, we’re United fans, I choose to concentrate on being delighted about the result & a cup final, you choose to get upset about your favorite player not player.

Each to their own, I know the type of ”fans” I prefer.

kaiser1

Pep's Mum
Supports
Bayern Munich
Bayern fan here too and I want Martial so bad at Bayern, I think he will be a very good Robbery replacement

Dr. StrangeHate

I don't disagree about Mourinho being a shot term manager for 4 years at best ( you aren't binging something new ) but why are you thinking Martial will be the one who will stay long term anyway ? I see quite the opposite, Martial will be a player while we will discuss his future almost every season, because each time he doesn't play several discussions about his future arise and news roll in with contracts. That doesn't look like a player that's well settled here for long term.

What if we brought another manager next season and he didn't play Martial regularly ? Will he stay long term as well ?
Martial might not want to stay at United regardless of manager. That is a fair point.
What I am saying is that no young player is going to establish himself under Mourinho. Mourinho needs his established players for his short term success, so take the power of selling younger players away from Mourinho. Loan them out or sell with buy back clauses and take them back when he is gone in a year or two. I think we can agree it is not going to be more than that.

PepsiCola

Mourinho has a Trump-like effect on some people i swear. They won't open a dialogue and are astonishingly quick to throw insults.

Brainwashed into thinking losing Martial would be acceptable. He'll go on to be an absolutely brilliant player.

Denis' cuff

Martial might not want to stay at United regardless of manager. That is a fair point.
What I am saying is that no young player is going to establish himself under Mourinho. Mourinho needs his established players for his short term success, so take the power of selling younger players away from Mourinho. Loan them out or sell with buy back clauses and take them back when he is gone in a year or two. I think we can agree it is not going to be more than that.

Not just Mourinho but nearly every manager works short term. That’s all they can afford to do, given the length of their contracts.

“No young player is going to establish himself under Mourinho”? Silly comment.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Since some poster trying to compare C. Ronaldo development with Martial, why dont we just take a look at who was behind this succes beside the player himself. The manager.

C Ronaldo grew himself into the game because he was constantly put in the first 11 to help him understanding his teammate and english game. He has Manager and Club to protect his development. The manager never openly critized him despite some fans or even his teammate (RVN) didnot like the way he played. Even when english press attack him, the manager kept protecting him. This condition help him to develop his talent. He believed in the managet and club.

While in Martial case, he has Manager that continously practising his Though Love policy over his player and likes to throw his own player under the bus. The club and manager decision to give his number and his role to the new comer will surely affect his confidence.

He carried the team in first season yet he lose his shirt number the following season.

He played well and made a good understanding with Pogba and Lukaku then the next game he was sent to the bench again. How this condition could help him?
Ronaldo was being put in the first 11 constantly also because He was doing such an incredible job for a 19 years old, that cannot be overlooked. We're talking about a player that was already a world beater by the time He was 21, even Fergie himself said He reached maturity faster than the rest. Martial is 22 and the bad thing is, We also have Rashford and Sanchez, if Martial's the only talented left winger We have or is the best option available, surely He'll play in every game. So the comparison with Ronaldo is a bit unfair. Ronaldo was an unreal talent, He made Rio Ferdinand (and the others) asked Fergie to sign him after playing against him (Ronaldo was still 18 in that match if i remember correctly).

That being said, I hope the club do everything possible to keep Martial.

haram

atleast the fans of other top teams recognize talent when they see it, i will not be surprised to see him firing it up playing as an attacker opposed to a midfielder.
People know he is talented though, that's not the problem.

marktan

Why don't we loan him out or sell with a buy black cause for 2 years? He's clearly talented, but like players like De Bruyne, he needs a step down to a club like Wolfsburg where he'll get regular game time to grow. Because really right now he's just not good enough for us, he's a solid dribbler and has good finishing, but he's very inconsistent as shown by this season, rarely makes runs in behind and doesn't really work hard.

Whilst there is talent there, it's just not enough for us atm as we need top quality to compete. But he's one we could regret letting go, so let him get game time elsewhere with the option for us to get him back.

Alek M

Da manic one
I think I’m one of the tiny minority that actually wouldn’t mind seeing Martial leave. Or at least, I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it.

He’s a sulky character and doesn’t give 100% in every game, which is why Jose doesn’t fancy him i’d imagine.

No offence Tony but you’ve achieved sweet FA in the game as of yet, put in the hard graft please.
No you are not a minority. He is sulky and drives me insane. He misses a shot and takes forever to get going again. Every time something does not go his way he gets upset

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Definitely think he's one we need to keep. Sanchez appears to have finally turned a corner and has played very well in the last few games but Martial pace, close control and quality in the box adds a lot to our team as well. Not to mention that he's only 22 and will most likely end up being absolutely brilliant in the near future. How we develop him is key though. He's one of the most composed players we have in the box and his striking instincts need to be made more of. I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of the more clinical players in England, at least uptill February.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why don't we loan him out or sell with a buy black cause for 2 years? He's clearly talented, but like players like De Bruyne, he needs a step down to a club like Wolfsburg where he'll get regular game time to grow. Because really right now he's just not good enough for us, he's a solid dribbler and has good finishing, but he's very inconsistent as shown by this season, rarely makes runs in behind and doesn't really work hard.

Whilst there is talent there, it's just not enough for us atm as we need top quality to compete. But he's one we could regret letting go, so let him get game time elsewhere with the option for us to get him back.
I think we need him now. But if he's going to play every 3 games then I'd like to see option explored. And in that case, we have to get the loan right and the club he moved to would be crucial.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Mourinho has a Trump-like effect on some people i swear. They won't open a dialogue and are astonishingly quick to throw insults.

Brainwashed into thinking losing Martial would be acceptable. He'll go on to be an absolutely brilliant player.
Or brainwashed into thinking that we cannot afford to lose him. It works both ways. If he leaves, it won't be the end of the world, probably the best solution for all parties involved (himself, the club, his agent)

SER19

This needs to be resolved one way or another soon, it’s hanging around like a bad smell. I think he has fantastic potential and hope he realises it here, but he’s had three full seasons already and hasn’t progressed at the rate we might have hoped. Yes the managers may not be ideal for him but plenty of players have done amazingly under these managers and he hasn’t earned a right to start every week. I have no idea what happens behind the scenes but if Martial not starting causes unrest every week then it’s better to leave.

SATA

You can have him for 50m, or a straight swap for Thomas Muller. Don't really care for Martial, he sulks more than Ribery

R'hllor

Its not only issue of Martial staying or leaving, JM future also should be taken in consideration. I mean, imagine selling Martial this summer and JM deciding to leave after next season, you never what kind of crazy shit can happen, ending up at end without player and manager who didnt rate him would be just silly.

Jonno

Its not only issue of Martial staying or leaving, JM future also should be taken in consideration. I mean, imagine selling Martial this summer and JM deciding to leave after next season, you never what kind of crazy shit can happen, ending up at end without player and manager who didnt rate him would be just silly.
What makes you think Mourinho is leaving after next season?

He’s here for the long term, re-building the club and fans need to get behind his project.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Whilst I agree that he is great talent and need to be worked with, his attitude sometimes irritates me. You see his reaction at full-time yesterday and compare it with Mata who too didn't play. Mata was overjoyed but I saw Martial walking off normally like it was regulation league win vs Seansea. Als, small things but you rarely see Martial twitter account posting after a match if he didn't play. Gives a feeling he or his team cares more about himself than team. Rashford too is not getting lots of minutes but his attitude is better. I hope he stays and gives reasons to Mourinho to select him more often but right now I am not too concerned if he wants to leave.

R'hllor

What makes you think Mourinho is leaving after next season?

He’s here for the long term, re-building the club and fans need to get behind his project.
Yea he is well known for being somewhere long term and how the heck you know that on the first place.

DSG

I believe football has come into a new era. The amount of money at stake is much higher than even 10 years ago. The biggest clubs make far more than 2nd tier clubs. Utd make far more than most of the big six, and the pressure to win now is immediate. This is the same problem than Bayern, Juve, Real, Barca and PSG face. As such, I believe that clubs cannot wait for players to develop, they need to buy proven players that can perform on the big stage.

I rate Martial, he can be fantastic on his day, but he needs to improve immensely to play in a World Cup final, or a CL final. Just not consistent enough to be on the team sheet every match. Lingard, on the other hand, is not as skilled, as dynamic, and cannot provide the moments of brilliance like Martial, but, his work rate is insanely high and his movement is fantastic. The ceiling is higher for Martial, but at these high stakes, it may be too much of a risk to see if he can improve his consistency.