5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

arthurka

Lukaku won´t stay here much longer that much is certain.
But Greenwood needs to be blooded in slowly, starting him v a City team who seem to blow most teams out of the water isn´t a good idea.

Johan07

Give him a chance (Greenwood) let him play 90mins not 10mins here 5 mins there, no one else seems to know where the back of the net is. People say he’s too young to start but Rooney, Fowler and Owen were around the same age when they burst onto the scene (17)
Which was 10-20 years ago. Do you believe that the PL is the same animal now as it was then? Kane is a better comparison and he was not even close to PL-quality at the same age.
EDIT
There are two options for Greenwood; either he gets a squad place this year for the experience and is loaned out nxt season. Or he is loaned out this year to a top Championship club. Anything else is not realistic.

macheda14

This, play him, nothing to lose
Apart from the last three games... 4th is still a possibility, not a great one but still very much one. I'd love him to burst on the scene with three great performances, but you just cant see the coaching staff taking that kind of a risk

FerociousCorgis

Apart from the last three games... 4th is still a possibility, not a great one but still very much one. I'd love him to burst on the scene with three great performances, but you just cant see the coaching staff taking that kind of a risk
you know what hasnt helped us get 4th? Losing 7 of 9. Coaching staff needs to take a risk because nothing is currently working

MadMike

This, play him, nothing to lose
Apart from potential CL qualification :houllier:

Classic caf going overboard with youngsters because they smash goals at u18 level. Like he will get time and space to do the same in EPL games.

There'll be better opportunities for him to get games next season, under less pressure. Currently it's cut throat.

FerociousCorgis

Classic caf going overboard with youngsters because they smash goals at u18 level. Like he will get time and space to do the same in EPL games.

There'll be better opportunities for him to get games next season, under less pressure. Currently it's cut throat.
haha yeah super cut-throat right now. Not like our attack hasnt scored from open play in like 5 games. Or that we have lost 7 of 9. Or that greenwood has been producing all year at the lower levels. Wheh, crazy CAF asking that maybe the manager who took it upon himself to slam mou over his treatment with youngsters to actually play our one ready youngster?

Remember the geese

Which was 10-20 years ago. Do you believe that the PL is the same animal now as it was then? Kane is a better comparison and he was not even close to PL-quality at the same age.
EDIT
There are two options for Greenwood; either he gets a squad place this year for the experience and is loaned out nxt season. Or he is loaned out this year to a top Championship club. Anything else is not realistic.
What is the big fascination with loaning him out? Do you not realise how big a talent Mason is? Ten years ago the Premier League was a top league. Today, the Premier League is a top league. If Mason is good enough to help the team in the short term (and I believe he is), then he should be given the opportunity to do so. Yes, Harry Kane was loaned out. It doesn't mean that Mason Greenwood needs to be. Not everyone has to follow the same pathway. I'd argue that Greenwood is more naturally talented than Kane anyway, not that natural talent is the sole factor in determining whether a player is ready for first team football.

MadMike

haha yeah super cut-throat right now. Not like our attack hasnt scored from open play in like 5 games. Or that we have lost 7 of 9. Or that greenwood has been producing all year at the lower levels. Wheh, crazy CAF asking that maybe the manager who took it upon himself to slam mou over his treatment with youngsters to actually play our one ready youngster?
Our attack hasn’t scored in the last 5 games because our team gets dominated and hardly keeps the ball. I’m sure our 17yo inexperienced attacker will thrive in a team with 25% possession and hoof balls out the back while having experienced EPL centre backs right up his arse crack.

I think I’ll take the manager’s opinion on when’s a good time to give him minutes, ahead of FerociousCorgis off the caf.

deafepl

EDIT
If he is loaned out in English football, I hope it's Swansea, they're playing great football, if he decided to play there, he'd be seeing more of balls which could help him to learn the pace of the championship and feeling physically surrounded by defenders or DM off the balls and on ball.

Loublaze

ATLien
31 pages and he's barely kicked a ball in the senior team! The expectations are way too high. I hope he's prepared for the pressure. There's a lot of Rashford fatigue already and he's only 21 for instance. Que the 'he's much better than Rashford' responses. Im not comparing them, just the hype.

Gapingrocket

Someone needs to make a compilation of this kids goals from outside the box.

Never seen anything like it, within a week he has bent a 30 yard free kick in with his left, and smashed it top corner from 25 yards out on the wing with his right, obscene talent.

Such a shame he (and garner laird etc) couldn’t lead us to the youth cup. Liverpool won it last night with a fairly unspectacular team by youth cup standards.

Last edited:

Smores

EDIT
Take Sterling then for a far more recent example, he became a first team player at 17 and was given proper gametime. Sancho has reaped the rewards and Hudson-Odoi should have been.

We should be playing him in our final few games and next season he should be starting the easier games and making plenty of sub appearances. He's earned the chance to demonstrate whether he's ready or not

breakout67

Supports
Man City
We haven't scored a goal from open play in 8 hours of football and this guy can't even get a start. Forget Rashy, Marshy and Lingy. This guy should start both games against Huddersfield and Cardiff.

edgar allan

Our attack hasn’t scored in the last 5 games because our team gets dominated and hardly keeps the ball. I’m sure our 17yo inexperienced attacker will thrive in a team with 25% possession and hoof balls out the back while having experienced EPL centre backs right up his arse crack.

I think I’ll take the manager’s opinion on when’s a good time to give him minutes, ahead of FerociousCorgis off the caf.
Might turn out to be true but I would prefer to give him a chance than have to watch Lukaku, Sanchez or Martial play again, that would just be rewarding lack of effort.

MadMike

Might turn out to be true but I would prefer to give him a chance than have to watch Lukaku, Sanchez or Martial play again, that would just be rewarding lack of effort.
If effort was the only thing that mattered, me and you would be playing for United now. And Lukaku and Sanchez don't lack effort, I don't know where this comes from. They bust a gut every time they play, they're just not good enough at the moment as well suffering from a lack of service like any forward we throw on.

Martial you could level the laziness argument at, but I would still prefer him over someone Lingard (who is showing effort) 100 times over. Because at least if you make chances Martial could score them. Lingard just turns into Bambi around the box. And rewarding shit players just cause they run around is not ideal either.

Like I said, the way our team plays right now, bringing young forwards on won't help us or them one bit. We just hoof balls at them and hoping they make something out of nothing, while also expecting them to bust a gut with pressing and marking. It's a thankless horrible task. We need to play to better as a team and the forwards we have will score. They were doing so few weeks ago.

edgar allan

If effort was the only thing that mattered, me and you would be playing for United now. And Lukaku and Sanchez don't lack effort, I don't know where this comes from. They bust a gut every time they play, they're just not good enough at the moment as well suffering from a lack of service like any forward we throw on.

Martial you could level the laziness argument at, but I would still prefer him over someone Lingard (who is showing effort) 100 times over. Because at least if you make chances Martial could score them. Lingard just turns into Bambi around the box. And rewarding shit players just cause they run around is not ideal either.

Like I said, the way our team plays right now, bringing young forwards on won't help us or them one bit. We just hoof balls at them and hoping they make something out of nothing, while also expecting them to bust a gut with pressing and marking. It's a thankless horrible task. We need to play to better as a team and the forwards we have will score. They were doing so few weeks ago.
Effort and desire is not the only thing that matters but it is a minimum requirement. Personally I have seen a significant reduction in both of these in all our forwards this year.
Lukaku has always been limited technically but I always defended him for effort, more often than not now he does more pointing than leading the line. Sanchez is finished and in Martial we have another over rated replacement.

The season is over let's give youth and potential a chance.

MadMike

Effort and desire is not the only thing that matters but it is a minimum requirement. Personally I have seen a significant reduction in both of these in all our forwards this year.
Lukaku has always been limited technically but I always defended him for effort, more often than not now he does more pointing than leading the line. Sanchez is finished and in Martial we have another over rated replacement.

The season is over let's give youth and potential a chance.
The season is over only in your head.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Lukaku certainly doesn't 'bust a gut' every time he plays. He has two or three big bursts of action a game that almost feel like he's doing it to make it look like he's working hard. But other than those couple of moments, his movement and workrate are terrible for what we should be expecting.

Dolf

Dont forget that many goals dont translate to the premier league. Against lower teams you dont get the chance to shoot from outside the box like you get at u18/23. There will be 2 players and a keeper to block your shot.
The stepovers are nice but after 3 matches every PL defender will have you figured out.

Think he’s a top top talent but let’s build him up.

Wallez

If we loose to Chelsea on Sunday, all hope of top 4 will be gone. In that case, I hope that Greenwood is given a proper chance playing 90 min as striker against Huddersfield and Cardiff.

MadMike

If we loose to Chelsea on Sunday, all hope of top 4 will be gone. In that case, I hope that Greenwood is given a proper chance playing 90 min as striker against Huddersfield and Cardiff.
That I could get behind because there would be no pressure after that and the games are also easier. But giving him his first ever EPL start against Chelsea in a must-win, backs-against-the-wall game is lunacy.

ArjenIsM3

That I could get behind because there would be no pressure after that and the games are also easier. But giving him his first ever EPL start against Chelsea in a must-win, backs-against-the-wall game is lunacy.
Yeah, Ole's already spoken about easing youth players in, so that's not happening. And rightly so. Can only see something like that happening when we've loads of injuries but even then it's not ideal.

laughtersassassin

31 pages and he's barely kicked a ball in the senior team! The expectations are way too high. I hope he's prepared for the pressure. There's a lot of Rashford fatigue already and he's only 21 for instance. Que the 'he's much better than Rashford' responses. Im not comparing them, just the hype.
He is not better than Rashford however he is unquestionably better than Him and many if our other talented players when they where in the youth.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

We are not going to make it, it was clear before Everton. We are still in it because the only aspect where Arsenal outdo Spurs these days is not finishing a job under pressure.

Sure, you can disagree, but I'm not seeing us playing like this is cut throat, are you? If we are going to jog our way to the Europa I'd rather see what the future holds with the young ones.

Edit: reading on I see much has been discussed. It's not youth fanboyism, you are still hoping on CL while we've lost faith and focus on other sources for hope.

Last edited:

MadMike

Almost feel sorry for him when he gets promoted into the first team and doesn't (naturally) hit it off straight away.
Yep

We are not going to make it, it was clear before Everton. We are still in it because the only aspect where Arsenal outdo Spurs these days is not finishing a job under pressure.

Sure, you can disagree, but I'm not seeing us playing like this is cut throat, are you? If we are going to jog our way to the Europa I'd rather see what the future holds with the young ones.

Edit: reading on I see much has been discussed. It's not youth fanboyism, you are still hoping on CL while we've lost faith and focus on other sources for hope.
In short, I disagree with everything you said.

You can lose hope all you want, really couldn’t give two shits. It’s still possible and very mathematically probable, one win puts us right in the fight. So we have to try.

antohan

Yep

In short, I disagree with everything you said.

You can lose hope all you want, really couldn’t give two shits. It’s still possible and very mathematically probable, one win puts us right in the fight. So we have to try.
I know, we "just" need to beat Chelsea and hope for Leicester (or Burnley) to do a job on the other two. Not unheard of, what kills me is it's actually us I don't trust at all. All the way back at 1-0 vs WHU I posted the way we were going about things my gut was this six-pointer would just settle 5th and 6th and still feel that way as far as we are concerned.

I admire your resilience, and agree playing him vs Chelsea could put undue pressure. Manager will know better. If we do cock it up I definitely want to see academy players vs Huddersfield and Cardiff.

Johan07

What is the big fascination with loaning him out? Do you not realise how big a talent Mason is? Ten years ago the Premier League was a top league. Today, the Premier League is a top league. If Mason is good enough to help the team in the short term (and I believe he is), then he should be given the opportunity to do so. Yes, Harry Kane was loaned out. It doesn't mean that Mason Greenwood needs to be. Not everyone has to follow the same pathway. I'd argue that Greenwood is more naturally talented than Kane anyway, not that natural talent is the sole factor in determining whether a player is ready for first team football.
Because he is such a big talent that he needs playing time now. Not just minutes either. And that is just not going to happen at United next season. I am all for brooding young players with one year in the squad, but he has already had that this year since he has been training with the first team most of the year this season. He needs to play regularly next season on as a high level as possible so he can take the next step in his development. He is one of our greatest talents and we should really not feck him up.

Johan07

Take Sterling then for a far more recent example, he became a first team player at 17 and was given proper gametime. Sancho has reaped the rewards and Hudson-Odoi should have been.

We should be playing him in our final few games and next season he should be starting the easier games and making plenty of sub appearances. He's earned the chance to demonstrate whether he's ready or not
That is a fair opinion. I personally think he will develop faster and better with regular game time. Playing 90 mins every week. And he is not going to get that at United next year with the pressure that will be on.

antohan

That is a fair opinion. I personally think he will develop faster and better with regular game time. Playing 90 mins every week. And he is not going to get that at United next year with the pressure that will be on.
And that would be on us. How many loanees have come back to play regularly and became top class? Last one I can think of is Beckham, unless you count the likes of Cleverley and Welbeck as top class.

Every team has some sort of pressure on, but at least we have the long term upside if gambling on him. A Fulham doesn't and therefore won't play him.

Johan07

And that would be on us. How many loanees have come back to play regularly and became top class? Last one I can think of is Beckham, unless you count the likes of Cleverley and Welbeck as top class.

Every team has some sort of pressure on, but at least we have the long term upside if gambling on him. A Fulham doesn't and therefore won't play him.
Well, Lingard to take a more current example. You could also pose the question of how many of our talented youngsters in general has taken the step up to the next level. Its not that easy and for me its just plain logic that guaranteed playing time benefits an 18-year old more than warming the bench in the PL.
EDIT
I think we handled Tuanzebe quite right. Something similar should be done with Greenwood. Then it is a damn shame that Tuanzebe manages to get injured on a Jonesque-level but that is somehow also an answer if the player has what it takes or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.