Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Well, Lingard to take a more current example. You could also pose the question of how many of our talented youngsters in general has taken the step up to the next level. Its not that easy and for me its just plain logic that guaranteed playing time benefits an 18-year old more than warming the bench in the PL.
They don't get it though. Tuanzebe would have got more games here surely. Lingard was a rarity in that he got about 10-15 games a season. Can we not give our best prospects 10 games a season? If not, there's something seriously wrong with us.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Would be typical United of recent years to back a youth like ‘Rashy’ - throw him in while young and back him to the hilt even when out of form or looking out of his depth and then take their sweet time beyond what is reasonable or logical and stagnate the progress as a boy as talented as Mason.

Not saying it’s got to that stage but just saying - wouldn’t be surprised if this happens based on how this club has been carrying on.

Johan07

They don't get it though. Tuanzebe would have got more games here surely. Lingard was a rarity in that he got about 10-15 games a season. Can we not give our best prospects 10 games a season? If not, there's something seriously wrong with us.
But thats not correct. Tuanzebe has been one of Villas best players. He has not played because he has been injured 75 percent of the time. He is playing there when he is fit and he has done it very well.

antohan

But thats not correct. Tuanzebe has been one of Villas best players. He has not played because he has been injured 75 percent of the time. He is playing there when he is fit and he has done it very well.
You are right, checked now and wiki stats were clearly wrong. I'm a lot more open to defenders going to the Championship though, it's decent schooling.

Now look at the more recent examples of top class attackers that their clubs had no space for (KdB, Salah, Sancho...) the trajectory there has been getting sold to a club willing to play them in competitive environments because they know they'll get an upside from it.

Not that I advocate selling, just playing the guy and skipping the whole selling bit.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Would be typical United of recent years to back a youth like ‘Rashy’ - throw him in while young and back him to the hilt even when out of form or looking out of his depth and then take their sweet time beyond what is reasonable or logical and stagnate the progress as a boy as talented as Mason.

Not saying it’s got to that stage but just saying - wouldn’t be surprised if this happens based on how this club has been carrying on.
I know what you mean, but I see Greenwood as possibly the only one that might be able to knock Rashford off his privileges if he performs so it is a good thing. I don't think the club will prioritise Rashford in front of Greenwood if Rash doesn't perform, as they are both one of our own.

Johan07

I think this is where we differ. I believe there is every chance of Mason getting a good number of games next season.
You think so? With Lukaku, Rashford, Martial, Sanchez, Mata, Lingard and maybe a Sancho in front of him. I am all for giving youth a chance but we are stacked offensively. Thats just how it is. So yeah, we disagree on this, Greenwoods playing time would be limited IMO.
What we would need is a talented youth at CM because we are looking really thin there right now squad-wise. I really like Garner as a player, but it might be one or two years too early for him. Or not. He is a damn good prospect and he might actually get serious minutes at CM. I hope he gets a chance to prove himself in pre-season; if he does not perform he should be loaned out as well.
I am assuming that Tuanzebe returns as well if he is healthy and with him an Dalot our "youth-quota" is well filled in defence as well.

FerociousCorgis

Our attack hasn’t scored in the last 5 games because our team gets dominated and hardly keeps the ball. I’m sure our 17yo inexperienced attacker will thrive in a team with 25% possession and hoof balls out the back while having experienced EPL centre backs right up his arse crack.

I think I’ll take the manager’s opinion on when’s a good time to give him minutes, ahead of FerociousCorgis off the caf.
oh you are right. All these managers who keep getting fired and keep playing studs like Mata on the RW are infallible. Love how people act like these managers are some infallible gods compared to us heathens. Not like people can maybe know the sport decently well without being an actual manager.

Johan07

You are right, checked now and wiki stats were clearly wrong. I'm a lot more open to defenders going to the Championship though, it's decent schooling.

Now look at the more recent examples of top class attackers that their clubs had no space for (KdB, Salah, Sancho...) the trajectory there has been getting sold to a club willing to play them in competitive environments because they know they'll get an upside from it.

Not that I advocate selling, just playing the guy and skipping the whole selling bit.
I am repeating myself in this thread but I am taking for granted that Tuanzebe will be back at the club next season and replacing Rojo/Darmian in the squad. He has done very well at Villa; its just a shame that he has been injured that much. He is a good example of how we should use the loan system IMO.
Then its also pretty much a fact that it is easier for a defensive player to command a place on loan when most clubs spend their money on offensive players and therefore the competition for a player like Greenwood will be more difficult if we do send him on loan. Arguing against myself here a bit; but if we do send Greenwood on loan its imperative that it is to a club where he gets to play.

antohan

You think so? With Lukaku, Rashford, Martial, Sanchez, Mata, Lingard and maybe a Sancho in front of him. I am all for giving youth a chance but we are stacked offensively. Thats just how it is. So yeah, we disagree on this, Greenwoods playing time would be limited IMO.
We are stacked yet can't score for toffee.

I know, build up, yadda yadda. Mata is a goner, Sanchez hardly plays, Martial's attitude stinks. In fact, the best thing that could happen to them all is having competition from a talented youngster who is hungry and chomping at the bit.

RuudTom83

Mason’s future position might suit a front 2 better than a front 3, which is why I’d focus on building that system into the team.

Pick 2 from these 4 (Rashford, Martial, Lukaku, Greenwood) with Pogba behind.

Add a genuine winger and solidify the defence and the future doesn’t look too bad.

Steven-UK

You think so? With Lukaku, Rashford, Martial, Sanchez, Mata, Lingard and maybe a Sancho in front of him. I am all for giving youth a chance but we are stacked offensively.
Stacked with mediocrity, that's one of the reasons why we are in this mess, we do not score enough goals, and miss far too many chances, therefore reversing any momentum we initially create.

Any decent striker would walk into this team.

Johan07

We are stacked yet can't score for toffee.

I know, build up, yadda yadda. Mata is a goner, Sanchez hardly plays, Martial's attitude stinks. In fact, the best thing that could happen to them all is having competition from a talented youngster who is hungry and chomping at the bit.
I dont disagree with this per se. But I dont see any of those players leaving before next season. If we had a squad place available it might be different. I dont see us getting rid of Sanchez without replacing him either. Its just fecking hard for young - especially offensive - players to get minutes in a top PL--club nowadays.

Johan07

Stacked with mediocrity, that's one of the reasons why we are in this mess, we do not score enough goals, and miss far too many chances, therefore reversing any momentum we initially create.

Any decent striker would walk into this team.
I completely agree on us overpaying our offensive players with regard to their performance. But this thread is about Mason and what is best for his development. I dont know what your point even is.

Remember the geese

What we would need is a talented youth at CM because we are looking really thin there right now squad-wise. I really like Garner as a player, but it might be one or two years too early for him. Or not. He is a damn good prospect and he might actually get serious minutes at CM. I hope he gets a chance to prove himself in pre-season; if he does not perform he should be loaned out as well.
I am assuming that Tuanzebe returns as well if he is healthy and with him an Dalot our "youth-quota" is well filled in defence as well.
It looks like Mata could be off and Sanchez and Lukaku aren't certain to be here either. With that in mind, an attacking selection of Martial, Rashford, Lingard, Greenwood and possibly Sancho isn't out of the question. Even if one of Lukaku or Sanchez are still here, that still leaves six players for three positions which means Mason would get more than enough opportunities. Especially so if we will be playing in the Europa League.

As for central midfield, both Garner and Gomes are great prospects. I'd like to see Garner serve as deputy to an experienced Defensive midfielder. However, I'm unsure if we can squeeze a sufficient amount of time out of Matic in the meantime. Gomes should be a solid squad option next season. He's more than capable of competing with Fred, McTominay and Pereira etc. He also offers something a bit different to them.

I'm a big fan of Tuanzebe and he should be competing for a first team place next season. O'Connor, Laird and Williams are all good enough to play a supporting role in the first team next season in my opinion.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The season is over only in your head.
The Greenwood army have been insisting the season was over from 18th December.

Man up and fight for the same thing we have been fighting for over the last 4 months. Season still to salvage.

SteveW

Mason is going to be phenomenal imo. But there's no need to rush him into an underperforming team. I expect him to play a lot with the first
team next season. U23s is fine for now.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Mason’s future position might suit a front 2 better than a front 3, which is why I’d focus on building that system into the team.

Pick 2 from these 4 (Rashford, Martial, Lukaku, Greenwood) with Pogba behind.

Add a genuine winger and solidify the defence and the future doesn’t look too bad.
How do you play a winger, Pogba at #10 and 2 strikers in 1 formation?

Sterling Archer

@RedMachine03 it's a bit difficult to tell from that video, have you seen this version below?

This finish to me smells of a truly talented striker. He's going to be fantastic for us. I've tsk tskd a lot of other highlights but this one got me. It's just so calm, surrounded by players to pass it in like that from the edge of the box, you can't even tell when he actually strikes it, it's almost in his stride. Keeper has no idea. Very smart finish. Great buildup too...Chong to Gomes to Mason...I would love to see that develop in the first team.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
@RedMachine03 it's a bit difficult to tell from that video, have you seen this version below?

This finish to me smells of a truly talented striker. He's going to be fantastic for us. I've tsk tskd a lot of other highlights but this one got me. It's just so calm, surrounded by players to pass it in like that from the edge of the box, you can't even tell when he actually strikes it, it's almost in his stride. Keeper has no idea. Very smart finish. Great buildup too...Chong to Gomes to Mason...I would love to see that develop in the first team.
I cannot see the streamable link but I am hoping it is the same as below. It is a first-time shot and the different angle in the video shows how good it was. Gomes also played very well and hopefully, both of them will be involved in the last two games.

Keefy18

You think so? With Lukaku, Rashford, Martial, Sanchez, Mata, Lingard and maybe a Sancho in front of him.
Lukaku is "dreaming" of playing Italy, he is gone.

Sanchez with some luck will have his contract terminated or sold.

Mata is out of contract this summer.

Lingard is a stocking!

Sancho, when did we sign him? :P

Johan07

Lukaku is "dreaming" of playing Italy, he is gone.

Sanchez with some luck will have his contract terminated or sold.

Mata is out of contract this summer.

Lingard is a stocking!

Sancho, when did we sign him? :P
Its how thing stands now. I dont think Lukaku or Sanchez will leave this summer. Mostly due to their own preferences. Mata might and should go and then the argument to give Greenwood a squad place might be there. He would still not get enough minutes to benefit his development though. And if we get rid of Mata or thank god even Sanchez we will bring in at least one offensive player to replace them and the situation for Mason will be the same. He is a great talent but he needs to play regularly on a high level next year and thats just not going to happen at United.

Keefy18

Its how thing stands now. I dont think Lukaku or Sanchez will leave this summer. Mostly due to their own preferences. Mata might and should go and then the argument to give Greenwood a squad place might be there. He would still not get enough minutes to benefit his development though. And if we get rid of Mata or thank god even Sanchez we will bring in at least one offensive player to replace them and the situation for Mason will be the same. He is a great talent but he needs to play regularly on a high level next year and thats just not going to happen at United.

Lukaku is all but gone, look at the news stories this week. He won't be here come August.
Mata is gone too, his contract runs out on June 30th. He's not getting another pay day from us, no way.

Sanchez is the issue but I'd be surprised if he's here come August. Apparently Woodward has admitted he was wrong in giving him his huge salary.

Johan07

Lukaku is all but gone, look at the news stories this week. He won't be here come August.
Mata is gone too, his contract runs out on June 30th. He's not getting another pay day from us, no way.

Sanchez is the issue but I'd be surprised if he's here come August. Apparently Woodward has admitted he was wrong in giving him his huge salary.
Well its that time of year so I would not put to much stock in what the tabloids are writing. I dont see Lukaku moving; he is on too big of a wage for an Italian club to take him off our hands. If you do want to put trust in the tabloids Mata has already been offered an extension but he is looking for a longer contract and might leave though if a decent club offers him a three-year contract. Similar to Herrera.
Sanchez is not going anywhere with his contract.
I dont think we will have much movement offensively this summer, but at the back for sure. Its all speculation of course at this stage and I could be wrong.

izec

If we lose to Chelsea, he will get at least sub appearances for the last games i think. Not sure if he will get picked if top 4 is still open, but he is in the squad nowadays. I think pre season is the time where the likes of him, Gomes, Garner and Chong have to take the opportunities and impress, the squad places are wide open with the massive changes coming.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If we lose to Chelsea, he will get at least sub appearances for the last games i think. Not sure if he will get picked if top 4 is still open, but he is in the squad nowadays. I think pre season is the time where the likes of him, Gomes, Garner and Chong have to take the opportunities and impress.
If we don't beat Chelsea i'd like to see in the last game at home to Cardiff a team of

Romero,Laird,cb,cb,Shaw, Garner, Pogba, Chong, Gomes, Greenwood, Rashford.

Sterling Archer

I cannot see the streamable link but I am hoping it is the same as below. It is a first-time shot and the different angle in the video shows how good it was. Gomes also played very well and hopefully, both of them will be involved in the last two games.
Ah yes that's the one. Hope we see them both get minutes before the seasons end.

BlahRules

How come Gomes does not get any credits? His passing is phenomenal and not even being looked at yet the first team players can’t even pass 5 yards

AndersB

It looks like Mata could be off and Sanchez and Lukaku aren't certain to be here either. With that in mind, an attacking selection of Martial, Rashford, Lingard, Greenwood and possibly Sancho isn't out of the question. Even if one of Lukaku or Sanchez are still here, that still leaves six players for three positions which means Mason would get more than enough opportunities. Especially so if we will be playing in the Europa League.

As for central midfield, both Garner and Gomes are great prospects. I'd like to see Garner serve as deputy to an experienced Defensive midfielder. However, I'm unsure if we can squeeze a sufficient amount of time out of Matic in the meantime. Gomes should be a solid squad option next season. He's more than capable of competing with Fred, McTominay and Pereira etc. He also offers something a bit different to them.

I'm a big fan of Tuanzebe and he should be competing for a first team place next season. O'Connor, Laird and Williams are all good enough to play a supporting role in the first team next season in my opinion.
Cmon, man, how can you say that? There is practically nothing to base such an opinion on. The latter three have no experience with the first team ffs. Do you realize how big the step-up is? Not just in purely practical terms, but also mentally. A lot of our most promising youngsters over the last 15 years have turned to, well - not much.

By all means, I am all for giving Greenwood more minutes and maybe even starting him in easier matches, but this is just total overload. It reminds me of that final match day against Palace when Harrop scored, and other youngsters like Mitchell and Gomes played well, and people wanted to get them into the first team next season etc. etc.

Let's keep a cool head here

Remember the geese

Cmon, man, how can you say that? There is practically nothing to base such an opinion on. The latter three have no experience with the first team ffs. Do you realize how big the step-up is? Not just in purely practical terms, but also mentally. A lot of our most promising youngsters over the last 15 years have turned to, well - not much.

By all means, I am all for giving Greenwood more minutes and maybe even starting him in easier matches, but this is just total overload. It reminds me of that final match day against Palace when Harrop scored, and other youngsters like Mitchell and Gomes played well, and people wanted to get them into the first team next season etc. etc.

Let's keep a cool head here
With regards to the three defenders mentioned, I think a lot of it depends on how the club deals with the probable exits of Darmian and Valencia. Will we sign an established right back ahead of Dalot and Young? If not, then Ethan Laird is naturally third in line and if given a few opportunities in the cups could elevate himself above Young or Dalot. Is that unrealistic? I imagine next season will be Young's final year here. This is all working on the proviso that we don't sign a right back in the Summer. Obviously the picture changes if we do. As for the left side, same deal. Will we sign a player to compete with Shaw? If not, Young should naturally come under threat from O'Connor or Williams. It's all hypothetical obviously, as we have no idea what the club are planning this Summer. I guess the argument I'm essentially making is that I don't see the point in signing players for those positions unless the players coming in are genuinely top class.

Last edited by a moderator:

laughtersassassin

Thta goal reminded e of Lukkaus first touch. Really hope we don't loan out Mason. Looks every bit ready for a full time bench role next season. Tunazebe needs to be brought in too. Honestly could already be our 2nd best CB. Just needs a chance.

deafepl

How come Gomes does not get any credits? His passing is phenomenal and not even being looked at yet the first team players can’t even pass 5 yards
PL is completely different from U23, even Andrea Pereira would be the KDB in U23. Andreas gets easily dispossessed in PL and not capable of making short passes in the third final and not composed on the ball.

BlahRules

PL is completely different from U23, even Andrea Pereira would be the KDB in U23. Andreas gets easily dispossessed in PL and not capable of making short passes in the third final and not composed on the ball.
I have seen Gomes make more of an impact from the few mins he had been given than Greenwood.

Regards to Pereira I think the issue with him was more of change management and him being sent out on loan playing as a winger than a midfielder which would of helped him.

AndersB

With regards to the three defenders mentioned, I think a lot of it depends on how the club deals with the probable exits of Darmian and Valencia. Will we sign an established right back ahead of Dalot and Young? If not, then Ethan Laird is naturally third in line and if given a few opportunities in the cups could elevate himself above Young or Dalot. Is that unrealistic? I imagine next season will be Young's final year here. This is all working on the proviso that we don't sign a right back in the Summer. Obviously the picture changes if we do. As for the left side, same deal. Will we sign a player to compete with Shaw? If not, Young should naturally come under threat from O'Connor or Williams. It's all hypothetical obviously, as we have no idea what the club are planning this Summer. I guess the argument I'm essentially making is that I don't see the point in signing players for those positions unless the players coming in are genuinely top class.
Thing is, that's not how things are going to pan out. On the left, maybe, but unlikely. Apart from fringe appearances we'll probably rather use a combination of Young or Darmian on the left, or Jones, Lindelof or - god forbid - Rojo. Or we'll sign a more promising player than those oldies (not that that's sure to work out).

On the right, I think we'll buy someone we consider first choice. To go along with Dalot. Maybe with Young having a bit-part role.

Remember the geese

Thing is, that's not how things are going to pan out. On the left, maybe, but unlikely. Apart from fringe appearances we'll probably rather use a combination of Young or Darmian on the left, or Jones, Lindelof or - god forbid - Rojo. Or we'll sign a more promising player than those oldies (not that that's sure to work out).

On the right, I think we'll buy someone we consider first choice. To go along with Dalot. Maybe with Young having a bit-part role.
Maybe it's just a wider source of frustration for me to be honest. The idea of using older pros slightly out of position (ie Lindelof and Jones) instead of using a natural right back from our academy. Not disagreeing with you though because what you say sounds very plausible.

Anyway to avoid the risk of straying from the thread title too much, here's hoping that Mason gets plenty of chances next season as part of a group of 5 or 6 forwards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
If Lukaku is off and Sanchez isn't starting why don't we give this lad a go? He's future after all. Why waste time?

Status
Not open for further replies.