5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierluigi Casiraghi

Btw I'm not saying there's no way he could play 30 games next season. I'm saying that relying on him to do so is a bad idea. No matter how much ability he has, we can't assume a 17 year old boy is gonna be able to handle the physical demands of a full EPL season, as if that's a given.

Rooney was never better than Ronaldo. Ever.

Ronaldo was always capable of things Rooney couldn’t even dream of.

People loved Rooney’s “passion”, strength, and the way he fought with grown men and more often than not came on top, good eye for a goal too, but Ronaldo always had the X factor.
In Rooney's first couple of seasons he absolutely was better than Ronaldo, he was far more consistent and won us more games than Ronaldo did. Injuries, and then being rushed back from injuries, did a lot of harm to his acceleration and agility. It's not really a controversial idea that part of the reason for this was playing too many games when he was very young.

I'm not saying he would have been as good as Ronaldo otherwise of course. Anyway, getting off topic a bit.

Reactions: Ødegaard

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Ronaldo. The way that he can anticipate the ball in the box with his eyes closed is a god gifted talent.

Tarrou

I reckon Rooney's lifestyle probably had more to do with him burning out by 30 than him playing too often as a teenager

Although its impossible to know obviously

macheda14

He was better than Ronaldo when they were 18/19. As good as he was, he clearly didn't reach his potential considering he was completely finished by the age of 30.
Owen would have been a better example. He also clearly did reach his potential, top scorer for England and United is an unbelievable achievement. It just didn't last as long as other players. Cristiano is a phenomenon, but look at Ronaldinho who was only at his peak between the ages of 23 to about 26/27, or Brazilian Ronaldo who dropped off immensely at about 29.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
He's the only kid so far that I think should get heavily involved with the first team this season. Gomez can work his way up slowly too while the rest just aren't ready for the first team.

By the way how is his injury history. From what I can tell he seems to be a bit injury prone. I remember last season Ole mentioned that he wanted to bring him in with the first team a few times but he was always injured. Is he made of glass or was it just that small period last season?

Fridge chutney

Everyone's ragging on Rooney here but he's still the one of the best (if not the best) players in the MLS.

And if Greenwood has half the career that Rooney has, he'd be a roaring success for us.

Pierluigi Casiraghi

Owen would have been a better example. He also clearly did reach his potential, top scorer for England and United is an unbelievable achievement. It just didn't last as long as other players. Cristiano is a phenomenon, but look at Ronaldinho who was only at his peak between the ages of 23 to about 26/27, or Brazilian Ronaldo who dropped off immensely at about 29.
I understand what you're saying in so much as Rooney being better as a teenager doesn't mean he could have been better at his prime. I was about 8 when Michael Owen broke though so I don't really remember how good he looked then, but Rooney really looked every bit as exciting a prospect as Ronaldo.

Many people think Brazilian Ronaldo could have been even better were it not for an ACL tear when he was Inter too!

Probably best to take this to the Rooney thread from now?

Reactions: golden_blunder

hubbuh

People loved Rooney’s “passion”, strength, and the way he fought with grown men and more often than not came on top, good eye for a goal too, but Ronaldo always had the X factor.
This is so ridiculously slanderous of Rooney it's not funny! Rooney definitely had the X factor. Different to Ronaldo, but he had it.

Woodzy

Edit - I hope this doesn’t derail the thread, just personal opinion.

Either way Greenwood is :drool:
Rooney was definitely the better player when he joined the club. We weren't even sure Ronaldo was going to make it in his first couple of seasons, while Rooney was looking like he could become one of the best in the world.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm really excited but trying to remind myself I was also excited about Cleverly and Lingard in pre season
Neither of them ever showed the talent or potential that Chong or Gomes have, let alone Greenwood who is at least a level above them IMO.
One of the hardest things about making the step up though is the mental aspect of the game, and how players adapt to heightened expectations, pressure, fame, etc and Greenwood will experience that this season. All we can do is wait and hope he can handle it positively. Beyond that mental aspect, big injuries are the only thing that would prevent him from becoming a top quality player IMO.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Neither of them ever showed the talent or potential that Chong or Gomes have, let alone Greenwood who is at least a level above them IMO.
One of the hardest things about making the step up though is the mental aspect of the game, and how players adapt to heightened expectations, pressure, fame, etc and Greenwood will experience that this season. All we can do is wait and hope he can handle it positively. Beyond that mental aspect, big injuries are the only thing that would prevent him from becoming a top quality player IMO.
I think cleverly was rated pretty high kinda like Chong but gomes definitely higher. Still I'm excited but I am not going to give into anything until the season starts.

Even if he is bad in the premier league hes really young and can improve

Snafu17

Cleverley and Lingard both turned out to be somewhat successful and better than 90 % of wonderkids who impress on preseason tours.

Anyway Greenwood looks great. Obviously a great talent, but hopefully this current excitement won't haunt him when he'll inevitably hit a wall, like every young player, and get loads of abuse because he of his highly rated profile. If he keeps this up there's bound to be some anti-hype sooner or later.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Edit - I hope this doesn’t derail the thread, just personal opinion.

Either way Greenwood is :drool:
Agree with you that Ronalo was obviously the more talented player, at least on reflection, and the only reason people would argue otherwise now is a combination of nostalgia and English hype.

But it's ludicrous to suggest Rooney didn't have the X factor. These goals against Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Arsenal, Fenerbahce and various others all before the age of 20 were some of the most obvious examples of "X factor" you'll ever see. It's an implausible stretch to describe that as just a good eye for goal, but even if you wanted to...there's countless examples of magnificent creative play too.

Andersons Dietician

I say let the kid play. He has that youthful arrogance which hasn’t been tainted by playing by percentages and stats. His two goals on tour and his general movement he looks like the most natural striker we have in the whole team.

TsuWave

Agree with you that Ronalo was obviously the more talented player, at least on reflection, and the only reason people would argue otherwise now is a combination of nostalgia and English hype.

But it's ludicrous to suggest Rooney didn't have the X factor. These goals against Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Arsenal, Fenerbahce and various others all before the age of 20 were some of the most obvious examples of "X factor" you'll ever see. It's an implausible stretch to describe that as just a good eye for goal, but even if you wanted to...there's countless examples of magnificent creative play too.
Not even just in reflection, I have always held the opinion that Ronaldo was better, but alas

Perhaps I should rephrase it then, and if people did think Rooney had the X factor, I’m just gonna say that it was different from Ronaldo’s/for me because I never got the same “feeling” from him that I used to get when Ronaldo was on the ball

kiristao

I know it's just pre season but he has been the most impressive on the right had side of all the players that have played there.

KW2006

I think Martial, Rashford, Sanchez, Greenwood is plenty of rotating strikers, albeit you are probably right that we are lacking proven killers in that position.

For LW, Rashford, Martial and James is plenty

For RW we have Greenwood, Mata, Lingard and maybe Dalot

There is a clear gap on the right, as Mata and Lingard are no where near good enough for RW. They are AM's and that should be it. Maybe Lingard as 3rd backup for RW.

Dalot is still developing and that isn't a position he has enough experience in, although he does show some promise there.
I agree we should not over-use him. But 30 games isn't a thing, if managed properly. It could be like 1 game per week.

Canagel

Th new R9? He could be scary good in 4/5 years if hes making it happen for the 1st team at 17.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
I think so, crucial he gets game time. We cannot lose him. Since we are shit it’s a good chance he gets it.
Doesn’t strike me as one who will want to jump ship if you give him decent minutes which I’m sure you will.

Prongsy

Its quite surreal remembering that lump in throat seeing tony martial destroy Skrtel, and soon after, Rashford decimating TAA. Now, just on their own, those are just random moments of brilliance. These two, still have their work cut out, in order to develop and become as good as they are capable of. I remember Rooney and Ronaldo had more moments of brilliance, and still needed 2 good years to get there. but in that decade, we barely had two such players who had that higher ceiling, and were also willing listeners(for coach's advice, for team mates's advice)

What I genuinely loved about Martial and Rashford was that they are both fantastically determined. They are where they are, because they are very good learners, and listeners. but I was worried, we may not have this kind of talent, frequently. but since 2014 I've been aware of Gomez, and some others. And while Greenwood came to predominant hype a bit later, its actually amazing knowing the potential of Greenwood at this stage, is just as much as it was in the first week of Rashford or Martial. and the best feeling of all this, is knowing we have players like that coming through, and a manager who wont just throw them to play 60 games like some animal, and then let them face the whole brunt as they fail and prosper(as kids do time to time)

For all I know, he could become a macheda type failure. his highlight reel on its own, is just a boring "i can do everything, so i'll do everything" thing, and as a concept, we are all very tired of such things. But its a thin line between a guy full of himself and a guy wanting to be best in the world. its a great feeling that we are able to see that thin line with this kid, and he has potential, and proper desire and decent head on him. But he still has somewhere to grow, before I can trust him to even be where Rashford is at 21. Rashford did a lot of boring hard work, that got him nothing. People almost are okay with thinking he is not going to be good enough for United, and he had to put up with it, while also secretly wanting to be the best in the world. and, maybe he'll get there. maybe he'll just not. but, his desire and hardwork is there to see. Lets hope greenwood can be that fiercely determined and grow with similar determination but boy what a time to be around our club when we can produce these kids, and have a manager who probably just knows how to make them motivated and happy.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Not getting carried away but it's great to see United produce it's own answer to Mo Salah :p

Status
Not open for further replies.