5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

dogwithabone

I questioned how good this lad was last week when some were saying he will be world class but I just cannot see that at the minute.

I’m not sure what all the fuss is about but will be very happy to be proved wrong.

Rish Sawhney

I questioned how good this lad was last week when some were saying he will be world class but I just cannot see that at the minute.

I’m not sure what all the fuss is about but will be very happy to be proved wrong.
Are you kidding me? He was the reason we had a competent right wing in the first half. Is it just because he didn't beat 3 players to score?

Moriarty

You will be. This lad has the potential to be another Giggs or a Michael Owen.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I’m going to imagine anyone who doesn’t rate Greenwood hasn’t watched him play bar his first team cameos. It’s fair enough, the Caf has absolutely no patience these days anyway.

El-Manos

Considering his age & experience? He’s looked the most threatening on the RW and is currently our best option there... he’s no Sancho yet but he looks very promising considering the chap is 17. In an ideal scenario we would have signed Sancho and rotated him with Greenwood but alas, that is not happening.

Raven

If you expect him to tear it up every game, then you are in for a surprise. He is just 17

I think Gomes is more ready for first team football than Greenwood personally, even if Greenwood is more hyped up
Yeah, Gomes is far more polished and his game seems very fine tuned. Greenwood will be brilliant, but he looked raw today, I think that will be the case against most top opposition for a while this season.

Alemar

It's like no one realises the lad is 17 :lol:
Well, when he plays for senior squad (especially when it comes to official games), during the game it doesn't matter. Certainly we all want him to perform better than Rashford already at this stage :)

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Do you actually watch football? Have you ever actually seen the kid play? If the answer to these questions are both yes, and you can't see that he's a ridiculously talented 17 year old, then there's no hope for you. All well and good doubting if he's ever going to be world class or whatever, very few reach that truly top top level, but in terms of talent and raw physical attributes, he has absolutely everything you could hope for (especially considering his age).

SteveW

You'll end up feeling very silly about this take. Literally looking at a soon to be world class footballer and wondering what the fuss is all about.

Ah well.

AJ10

Will have ups and downs as he's only 17, nothing new.

Really hope he fulfils his potential because he is pure quality.

ChaddyP

Well, when he plays for senior squad (especially when it comes to official games), during the game it doesn't matter. Certainly we all want him to perform better than Rashford already at this stage :)

It does matter. We should all remember his age and experience when he plays. You can't judge Greenwood the same way we judge pall pogba. He can't be expected to play and start every game. He can't be expected to be prime Ronaldo every minute of every game.

Lad had a normal tidy game today and posters are talking about him having a bad game or I don't see what the big deal is with this guy. Its totally unfair to him and I feel it will only get worse if he doesn't become the second coming of Messi over night at 17 years old

jesperjaap

Think there is a lot of pressure on his shoulders already. A lot of talk about how poor our defence and midfield has been....but when you look at our attacking players last year, without going through all of them individually, even the better attackers were only potent very sporadically.

As of yet, we still have three attacking players in my mind we shouldnt and we have only made a long term signing to add to our attacking players so we are really crying out for somebody to come in and due to his success at youth level, if we dont make another signing it could be heavily on his shoulders.

Unlike the likes of Rooney and ROnaldo he isnt coming in to a very very good United side either, lets not forget that. How far he goes and how quickly progresses we will have to see, surprised some doubting his ability, despite all the hype, his movement, technique, intelligence even in the cameos for a 17 year old, you can just see he has a lot of quality and all the tools to become a top player

Alemar

It does matter. We should all remember his age and experience when he plays. You can't judge Greenwood the same way we judge pall pogba.
After the game he won't be judged by Pogba standards, of course not. But during the game (and I mean first and foremost key games, not low-level Europa League group stage or League cup), he shall be a starter only if he is better than his competition, and shall then deliver to Man Utd standards.

If he doesn't deliver more than other players in the squad may in this position, then he just shouldn't play (key matches). But the same is true for his older team mates - if they lose to Greenwood or to Gomes in training and in performances, they should sit out regardless of their age, it's very simple.

Then, there is rotation and physical conditions - but that's the question for medical staff when to give a precautionary rest to a particular player and when not.

ChaddyP

After the game he won't be judged by Pogba standards,
Thast seems to be already happening :lol:.

All i ask is that if a 17 year old (that everyone with sense can see is very talented) is given a chance to start and god forbid doesnt come out with a MOTM performance he isnt slated off instantly as "not worth the hype " or saying things like "i cant see whats so great about this kid in 45 mins of this random game i finally decided to watch him in" These players no matter how good they are will have games they are just normal in, games they are subpar in or games where they shit the bed. I just hope they are given the chance to get consistency and show why faith is being put in them and why its so hard to get into a team of our stature at this age. Is that too much to ask?

dasty

As expected, one quiet game from the youngster and the idiots already are out for blood. :lol:

Alemar

Thast seems to be already happening :lol:.
Still it's better than discussing his youth league performances, don't you think? :smirk: And even today, he looked better than usual Lingard at RW, so it's all going in the right direction

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Love that his ‘bad game’ was of the quality it was vs Spurs. High standards for this guy

jungledrums

Okay but... why...? How can you not see his obvious class? I’m baffled. Phenomenal on the ball, fantastic movement, fast, strong, technically gifted. And he’s 17 no less. How can you not rate him?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

You've obviously watched feck all of the kid and are putting forth a pointless view of him regardless.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Love that his ‘bad game’ was of the quality it was vs Spurs. High standards for this guy
Tbh it wouldve been nice if that performance was the "standard" level of performance our right winger would've put out over the last 3-4 years. Wouldn't be in as bad of a position as we have been.

Vissy

As to MG's performance yesterday, I thought he had a few nervy touches in the first minutes of the game and then he ghosted out of the game periodically after that, with most attacks going through Martial, James and Pereira. MG combined well with Pereira for the opening goal though and I think it was an average performance overall.

Grande

As to MG's performance yesterday, I thought he had a few nervy touches in the first minutes of the game and then he ghosted out of the game periodically after that, with most attacks going through Martial, James and Pereira. MG combined well with Pereira for the opening goal though and I think it was an average performance overall.
What has struck me in comparison with James these preseason games, is that James is much more visible when playing on the wing, but Greenwood is more successfull with what he does, be it a one-two, a pass at a tight angle or a run at goal. James looks raw, in that he’ll be a great player when he starts pulling things off. Greenwood looks more like an already accomplished player finding his feet in a new team/new league.

R'hllor

Some of you are crazy, kid is 17 years old ffs. Regardless, give me Greenwood as RW over Mata any day of the week.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

ahhh there's always 1 that has to play the controvert! If you can't see what's good about him at 17 then i'd say scouting isn't for you.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He was anonymous but then so was Ndombele and Spurs paid £70m for him. It happens.
That's definitely not the right word to use. When the ball was down the right he was involved plenty, we just made most of our attacks through the left side.

It wasn't like we dominated Spurs either, it was a fairly equal match. It was nice to see he held his own against a near full strength Spurs team, that will give us more of a realistic outview than Sydney.

dogwithabone

Do you actually watch football? Have you ever actually seen the kid play? If the answer to these questions are both yes, and you can't see that he's a ridiculously talented 17 year old, then there's no hope for you. All well and good doubting if he's ever going to be world class or whatever, very few reach that truly top top level, but in terms of talent and raw physical attributes, he has absolutely everything you could hope for (especially considering his age).

Alright mate get your toys back in the pram.

I haven’t admittedly seen much of him (nor as anyone unless they attend reserve/youth games) but when I have he hasn’t impressed me. For example there would be a lot of United fans or followers who maybe hadn’t seen him until yesterday against Spurs and he looked lost yesterday. Anyone who thinks he will be world class based on that needs looking at.

I’m not knocking the kid, cream will rise to the top and if he’s that good then he will make it but don’t knock a fans view of glimpses of him when I doubt he’s made ten appearances yet. He hasn’t been world class in all those ten or so games. I’ve seen his short time against PSG, half hour in a league fixture and yesterday and he’s done absolutely nothing in any of those to suggest he will be world class. That’s all I’m saying, just saying it how I’ve seen it.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
So you're saying you've watched about 80 minutes of him and still questioned how good he was? Do you not think you need a bigger sample size before deciding how good he is?

romufc

He is 17, it is pre season. Lay off the lad. Playing 45 minutes v Spurs and having mininal impact is fine.

He has shown he belongs at this level. And IMO he is better than our current RW's in Lingard and Mata.

dogwithabone

So you're saying you've watched about 80 minutes of him and still questioned how good he was? Do you not think you need a bigger sample size before deciding how good he is?

Possibly but when people are using the term ‘world class’ (remember this is my issue, the world class bit) then I think even 80 minutes is enough to see just something that makes you think ‘Yep this lad can be world class and in an elite ten or so world class players on the planet’ ..... I was at OT for Ronaldo’s debut and within five minutes you’re thinking WOW ! ..... Although I never considered Rooney proper world class his first touch in the PL was to stick it in the top corner past one of the best keepers of his generation .... Owen v Argentina .... I’ve obviously not seen the bits of Greenwood that matter and been unlucky in my viewings of him.

simmee

Possibly but when people are using the term ‘world class’ (remember this is my issue, the world class bit) then I think even 80 minutes is enough to see just something that makes you think ‘Yep this lad can be world class and in an elite ten or so world class players on the planet’ ..... I was at OT for Ronaldo’s debut and within five minutes you’re thinking WOW ! ..... Although I never considered Rooney proper world class his first touch in the PL was to stick it in the top corner past one of the best keepers of his generation .... Owen v Argentina .... I’ve obviously not seen the bits of Greenwood that matter and been unlucky in my viewings of him.
Were you sure Macheda would be world class as well based on his first games? Januzaj? You are just using hindsight to prove that you can spot a top ten in the world player based on preseason games and a few sub appearances. Give it a rest.

Red00012

He’s 17 , he doesn’t have to beat 7 men and score a goal in every game. Get a Grip

romufc

Were you sure Macheda would be world class as well based on his first games? Januzaj? You are just using hindsight to prove that you can spot a top ten in the world player based on preseason games and a few sub appearances. Give it a rest.
It is easy to say oh I knew he was world class, we have had plenty of players come through and not developed like they should have.

I was at OT for Ronaldo’s debut and within five minutes you’re thinking WOW
You should apply a job for a scout at Utd, if you have the ability to spot a world class talent in 5 mins.

So who is the next world class talents from what you have seen? across the premier league?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Few weird posts, hopefully this thread won't follow the same pattern as other performance threads.

On the game, it was quiet game, gave away possession cheaply couple of times but he was also decent in the build up.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Alright mate get your toys back in the pram.

I haven’t admittedly seen much of him (nor as anyone unless they attend reserve/youth games) but when I have he hasn’t impressed me. For example there would be a lot of United fans or followers who maybe hadn’t seen him until yesterday against Spurs and he looked lost yesterday. Anyone who thinks he will be world class based on that needs looking at.

I’m not knocking the kid, cream will rise to the top and if he’s that good then he will make it but don’t knock a fans view of glimpses of him when I doubt he’s made ten appearances yet. He hasn’t been world class in all those ten or so games. I’ve seen his short time against PSG, half hour in a league fixture and yesterday and he’s done absolutely nothing in any of those to suggest he will be world class. That’s all I’m saying, just saying it how I’ve seen it.
So you watched him once and now you think he's not very good?

Don't get me wrong, talking about world class for a non-Mbappé shaped 17 year old is mental but lots of fans have seen him more than just yesterday...

Status
Not open for further replies.