5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveW

For those laughing. I understand that he's not physically mature yet. Leave that out of it and who's better? We were twice as threatening when he was on the pitch, everything went through him. Touch, movement, two footedness, finishing. It's all there. He's a batter footballer than all our other attackers who tend to mix plenty of quality with rawness.

I got this same crap last season when I said he was going to be a first teamer very soon. How long is it gonna take for people to see what's right in front of their faces?

CallyRed

I'm not convinced by any of our players because none of them are like Messi.

Jacob

Don't disagree with the second sentence, but that's a horrible comparison. Messi is a generational talent. That's like criticizing young basketball players for not looking like Michael Jordan in their first NBA season. The kid has tools, whether he puts it together and turns those tools into something great is all on him.
He strikes me as too timid and modest. I haven't obviously seen him train but he doesn't ooze the arrogance Ronaldo and Rooney did.

You need to be borderline crazy to reach the top. Although I wish him the best and its still super early, my hunch is that he'll be a squad player eventually.

clarkydaz

He strikes me as too timid and modest. I haven't obviously seen him train but he doesn't ooze the arrogance Ronaldo and Rooney did.

You need to be borderline crazy to reach the top. Although I wish him the best and its still super early, my hunch is that he'll be a squad player eventually.
mate I think you better stop posting in this thread tonight

Jacob

For those laughing. I understand that he's not physically mature yet. Leave that out of it and who's better? We were twice as threatening when he was on the pitch, everything went through him. Touch, movement, two footedness, finishing. It's all there. He's a batter footballer than all our other attackers who tend to mix plenty of quality with rawness.

I got this same crap last season when I said he was going to be a first teamer very soon. How long is it gonna take for people to see what's right in front of their faces?
Really though? At youth level, yeah. Senior level, unknown quantity still.

Red Rash

I would disagree with this. A few times he got into positions where he took a shot on where a less confident player would have probably pulled it back or passed.

I certainly have seen enough of him willing to run at people and take on a shot to suggest he isn't timid.

He is still young so it's too early to call him a success but he probably has the most potential from our academy since Giggs.

You look at someone like McTominay who is coming on leaps and bounds at 22 to understand that's not all players are superstars when they first start.

I think Greenwood will suprise a lot of casual fans this season

Jacob

I would disagree with this. A few times he got into positions where he took a shot on where a less confident player would have probably pulled it back or passed.

I certainly have seen enough of him willing to run at people and take on a shot to suggest he isn't timid.

He is still young so it's too early to call him a success but he probably has the most potential from our academy since Giggs.

You look at someone like McTominay who is coming on leaps and bounds at 22 to understand that's not all players are superstars when they first start.

I think Greenwood will suprise a lot of casual fans this season
I'm not denying the potential, I'm merely saying the current hype is too overblown. My personal opinion of what I've seen at senior level this preseason is leaning more towards 'good' than 'Godlike'.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Doesn't look scared and doesn't rush into stupid decisions.

He had a great tour and Ole was 100% right to play him in pretty much every game.

buckooo1978

looked very very bright again

it's going to be difficult to hold this kid back

crazy that he's 17..... Solskjaer will be turning to him more than he expects I think

Jacob

Having talent/potential is one thing, having the tools to realize them is another.

Ravel had one but not the other while Ronaldo have both in excess.

Let's see if Mason has the mindset to take it to the next level.

kirk buttercup

Brilliant from him in pre season he looks the real deal . Now we need patience from 3 sides
His
Management
Supporters

And we may have found a gem

Denis79

Who are you preaching to? I'm pretty sure 90% of the fans that have watched him this pre-season can see what a talent he is. The 10% that don't are just damaged from the last 6 years of depression. We've seen hope and anticipation crumble before our feet so many times. That said, the lad will be a beast for us in the future.

Gerald G

We just love putting our players up against each other....
And how anyone can say Greenwood is better than so and so after a few friendlies is madness. He's a supreme talent but how about we calm down a little and have some patience?

Halftrack

Very true, there have been a lot of players who didn't come into prominence until way into their 20s. Drogba first got noticed at 24, di Natale at 25 or something, Jamie Vardy was 28.

SteveW

Who are you preaching to? I'm pretty sure 90% of the fans that have watched him this pre-season can see what a talent he is. The 10% that don't are just damaged from the last 6 years of depression. We've seen hope and anticipation crumble before our feet so many times. That said, the lad will be a beast for us in the future.
Literally my first sentence.

Agreed. It's just hard not to be a bit bemused at times. Not sure how much more obvious it needs to be for people.

red4ever 79

We just love putting our players up against each other....
And how anyone can say Greenwood is better than so and so after a few friendlies is madness. He's a supreme talent but how about we calm down a little and have some patience?
I have always had the impression that you play people based on form and not name. Greenwood has been the most productive forward on the tour, therefore should start. Same with McTomminay in midfield. However, I fear Ole will persist with named players and will be his downfall

Kearnkoff69

There's no doubt that his career arc is still a huge question mark. I just think that while some of our fanbase is leaning excessively hard into the "he's a nailed on star" narrative, you're swinging back too far the other way. As he's only 17 and has never spent any real time playing first team football/being involved with the first team, it's impossible to say whether he's got the work ethic and mentality to rise to the top.

Point being, players develop at different rates, and you never really know much about their intangibles until they're thrown in off the deep end. For example, Rooney was a far better player at 16 than Ronaldo, yet Ronaldo went on to be one of the world's best while Rooney went on to be very, very good (but was never in the same conversation). I think a healthy dose of optimism is OK - it's exciting to watch promising academy players graduate to the first team, especially when they show such talent at the youth level. Not all great players play like fully formed stars when they first break through - and some who do look like nailed on stars end up flaming out (Januzaj is a great example of this from our academy).

Gerald G

I have always had the impression that you play people based on form and not name. Greenwood has been the most productive forward on the tour, therefore should start. Same with McTomminay in midfield. However, I fear Ole will persist with named players and will be his downfall
I think he should start against Chelsea but how anyone can say he's better than certain players based on FIVE friendlies is nonsensical. I love the kid, let me make that clear.

edcunited1878

Need to give this kid a realistic leash of at least 3 to 4 years to see where his natural talent takes him.

It's a massive, massive step for him mentally, professionally, emotionally and physically. He's playing against men and he's at teenager. He's closer to 16 than 21.

Still has loads of growing and maturing that will probably hault around 24 and that doesn't consider any potential injuries.

SteveW

Need to give this kid a realistic leash of at least 3 to 4 years to see where his natural talent takes him.

It's a massive, massive step for him mentally, professionally, emotionally and physically. He's playing against men and he's at teenager. He's closer to 16 than 21.

Still has loads of growing and maturing that will probably hault around 24 and that doesn't consider any potential injuries.
He's closer to 14 than 21.

But many others have broken through at that age before and will again. If you're good enough you'll end up in the team.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Haven’t read the post which prompted the lolz but it it’s full of hyperbolic stuff like this than that would help explain the response.

SteveW

Haven’t read the post which prompted the lolz but it it’s full of hyperbolic stuff like this than that would help explain the response.
I dont agree that its hyperbolic. He was highly involved today. Leaving physical development aside which of our forwards are better footballers?

Do you just find the suggestion hyperbolic because of his age? Give him a 20 year body and he is better than those players.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I dont agree that its hyperbolic. He was highly involved today. Leaving physical development aside which of our forwards are better footballers?

Do you just find the suggestion hyperbolic because of his age? Give him a 20 year body and he is better than those players.
I think he will probably end up better than Martial and Rashford. Which is a huge claim but that’s how highly I rate him. He’s clearly not better than them right now, though. And I find the whole “better footballer, despite not being better at football” thing a bit too @Scholesy for my liking.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It's not a fair comparison but Messi convinced from the first minute. You don't need hundreds of games to prove talent.
Mentioning it’s not fair comparison but still using Messi as an example. :lol:

red4ever 79

I think he should start against Chelsea but how anyone can say he's better than certain players based on FIVE friendlies is nonsensical. I love the kid, let me make that clear.
I repeat. I am saying play players on form. He is the most threatening of the attackers in pre season.

Jacob

Mentioning it’s not fair comparison but still using Messi as an example. :lol:
Yeah, very funny. So funny you ignored the whole point of the message which was the second sentence. It's people like you that make the experience here worse than it previously was. Rather than reading to understand and argue, you read to reply by nitpicking stuff you can ridicule. Good on you.

SteveW

I think he will probably end up better than Martial and Rashford. Which is a huge claim but that’s how highly I rate him. He’s clearly not better than them right now, though. And I find the whole “better footballer, despite not being better at football” thing comes across as a bit too @Scholesy for my liking.
I rate all 3 players highly to be totally honest but if he was physically as far a long as the other 2 I doubt if this would be in debate.

I think he's more likely to score or create a goal that either of the other two at this very moment. His link up play is already more reliable and he finds space better than each.

And to be honest both Rashford and Martial look in good nick right now. I'm happy with their preseason form.

Status
Not open for further replies.