Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Maybe i am going too far but will he be our first choice right winger this season? Or in first few games at least so if he proves himself....
I doubt that he will get a chance in attack this season while we have Rashford, Martial and Lukaku( if he stays).

Andersons Dietician

He wasn’t as influential as he has been but you can still see the quality when he gets the ball. He’ll frighten LB’s and CB’s when he gets games during the season and I’m sure he will be used occasionally.

dogwithabone

So you watched him once and now you think he's not very good?

Don't get me wrong, talking about world class for a non-Mbappé shaped 17 year old is mental but lots of fans have seen him more than just yesterday...

Have I ever used the term ‘not very good’ ?

I recall saying ‘unimpressed’ just like I was ‘unimpressed’ when I watched Messi in the CL second leg at Anfield.

When you read others going berserk about this lads talent then I just expected to see a glimpse of it in the combined 90 minutes I’ve seen. I will repeat that I’ve seen nothing that shows me that. I cannot help what my eyes see. If you’re so bothered about it put together a compilation of the PSG game, yesterday and the half hour league match (cannot recall the opposition but can’t be too many when he’s had half hour)) I saw and then highlight to me the world class moments you see and we can discuss it.

Until then allow me to say what I see, be it good, bad or indifferent.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

I recall saying ‘unimpressed’ just like I was ‘unimpressed’ when I watched Messi in the CL second leg at Anfield.

When you read others going berserk about this lads talent then I just expected to see a glimpse of it in the combined 90 minutes I’ve seen. I will repeat that I’ve seen nothing that shows me that. I cannot help what my eyes see. If you’re so bothered about it put together a compilation of the PSG game, yesterday and the half hour league match (cannot recall the opposition but can’t be too many when he’s had half hour)) I saw and then highlight to me the world class moments you see and we can discuss it.

So a 17 year old didn't light it up against Spurs and PSG, what a shock! :lol:

When you say things you should generally try to improve upon silence.

dogwithabone

So a 17 year old didn't light it up against Spurs and PSG, what a shock! :lol:

When you say things you should generally try to improve upon silence.

Ok he didn’t, so where do we gauge this world class talent ? Derby U23 ? Stoke U23 ?

You tell me.

Alemar

Ok he didn’t, so where do we gauge this world class talent ? Derby U23 ? Stoke U23 ?

You tell me.
Let’s wait till the season start. Chances are he will be scoring / assisting at a higher rate than Lingard this year

RedCurry

The kid is still physically growing and we need to definitely ease him in for a year or two. If he remains fit and mentally grounded, there's very little that can stop him.

Raven

Alright mate get your toys back in the pram.

I haven’t admittedly seen much of him (nor as anyone unless they attend reserve/youth games) but when I have he hasn’t impressed me. For example there would be a lot of United fans or followers who maybe hadn’t seen him until yesterday against Spurs and he looked lost yesterday. Anyone who thinks he will be world class based on that needs looking at.

I’m not knocking the kid, cream will rise to the top and if he’s that good then he will make it but don’t knock a fans view of glimpses of him when I doubt he’s made ten appearances yet. He hasn’t been world class in all those ten or so games. I’ve seen his short time against PSG, half hour in a league fixture and yesterday and he’s done absolutely nothing in any of those to suggest he will be world class. That’s all I’m saying, just saying it how I’ve seen it.
His talent is obvious to anyone watching closely enough. He however hasn't looked amazing in the last 2 games against stronger opposition, this is likely to happen with young players. The other thing to note is that Gomes, who most consider a lesser talent, has been excellent against all opposition this preseason.

What I would advise is to watch him more closely, but don't expect fireworks every time he steps onto the pitch and especially against top opposition. I remember Ronaldo being slated for not doing it in the big games when he was young. Look at him now. Some times it just has to come with experience.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Look at his pre season highlights, highlights against Cardiff at OT and highlights from the reserves/youth team last season. All you have to do is see the shooting technique with either foot from the youth teams to see how impressive he is in that regard, and in the first team it's obvious he is a quality dribbler of the ball and is so quick to get a shot off. He doesn't lack in any department when you look at his talent, and when you have a combination of all of that, then that usually bodes extremely well for the future.

You're basically just being negative to be contrarian to everyone else on here, but refusing to actually watch any clips of his to change your mind, which is incredibly strange as he's a 17 year old youth prospect and according to pretty much everyone, as promising a prospect as we've had in over a decade.

jungledrums

You tell me.
He started v Cardiff, has now played a role in all pre season games thus far, and has just had a fantastic season with the 23s. Literally YouTube him if you haven’t seen him. There’s a talented kid there.

TwoSheds

You tell me.
At whatever level is higher than where he should be up to in his development given he's still a child. Really, a 17 year old has no right to be doing anything other than holding his own in a premier League game. If he is doing that or better then he's doing fine. And I agree with you, talk of world class is premature, but so is being "unimpressed". Just wait and watch him. I don't know what level he'll get to but he's good, so just give him a chance.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He started v Cardiff, has now played a role in all pre season games thus far, and has just had a fantastic season with the 23s. Literally YouTube him if you haven’t seen him. There’s a talented kid there.
He literally wrote he was "unimpressed with Messi" in one of his posts, as if he was seeing him for the first time to check out the hype this past season. Guy is a wum.

Tarrou

I'm only just starting to formulate an opinion on this lad and to be honest I thought people were going a bit OTT but I'm extremely impressed, and the Spurs game added to that. His touch, awareness, positioning were all great, and he doesn't panic. Often when you see 17 year olds on the wing the game passes them by, and when they do finally get on the ball they try to overcompensate and snatch at their chance. There is none of that with Greenwood, he was so comfortably in the game.

It's very rare to see a 17 year old and be absolutely certain he'll make it, and I've only ever felt that about Rooney and Giggs. I wouldn't put Greenwood in that category yet, but he's pretty close. He doesn't have the physicality those pair had at a young age, but there's no shame in that. Once he fills out a bit and improves his strength, he is going to be a frightening prospect.

TwoSheds

Then what to do if he scores a hat-trick against someone this season?
Then he's exceeding expectations, good on him? What is this weird hypothetical universe we're inhabiting though?

clarkydaz

I'm only just starting to formulate an opinion on this lad and to be honest I thought people were going a bit OTT but I'm extremely impressed, and the Spurs game added to that. His touch, awareness, positioning were all great, and he doesn't panic. Often when you see 17 year olds on the wing the game passes them by, and when they do finally get on the ball they try to overcompensate and snatch at their chance. There is none of that with Greenwood, he was so comfortably in the game.

It's very rare to see a 17 year old and be absolutely certain he'll make it, and I've only ever felt that about Rooney and Giggs. I wouldn't put Greenwood in that category yet, but he's pretty close. He doesn't have the physicality those pair had at a young age, but there's no shame in that. Once he fills out a bit and improves his strength, he is going to be a frightening prospect.
Giggs at 17 was a stick insect :D

Tarrou

Giggs at 17 was a stick insect :D
Sure but he was clearly physically equipped to handle top level football at that age. Most players at that age don't have the stamina.

I think Bale vs Giggs is a good example, Bale took a few more years to become physically ready for the Premier League.

Drainy

You tell me.
By gauging their strengths and weaknesses against their peers, and determining if their strengths are making them 'present their talents' earlier but wont improve much, or weaknesses can improve over time (like physical strength or decision making ) and making a guestimate of their career trajectory.

This can be done at any level as long as it's comparable in quality to their peers.

Eric's Seagull

Let’s wait till the season start. Chances are he will be scoring / assisting at a higher rate than Lingard this year
If Lingard has a similar season to last year. I would definitely agree with you point above. Lingard scored 4 and assisted 2 in the League last season, I can see Mason bettering that.

Jacob

I know this won't be a popular opinion but I'm not impressed. Seems like a one-trick pony so far. Lacks any kind of physical presence and looses the ball quite easily. I hope he proves me wrong.

Drainy

I know this won't be a popular opinion but I'm not impressed. Seems like a one-trick pony so far. Lacks any kind of physical presence and looses the ball quite easily. I hope he proves me wrong.
His one trick being great at football?

He is 17, of course he's not a physical man yet.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
One dimentional is the same vain as Robben but far less effective.
:lol::lol::lol:

feck me he's 17. Played in 5 pre season games.

He can use both feet - which is certainly not what you'd have from a one trick pony for a start.

Dion

You mean Robben who was entirely one footed vs Greenwood who is as two footed as it's possible to be?

I mean maybe he is very limited, or he only has one trick. But he's absolutely nothing like Robben in any way.

Kag

That thirty minute cameo is like a litmus test for idiots.

Greenwood lost the ball, made (what some will consider to be) ‘mistakes’, dragged a few shots. But his movement is on a different level to the vast majority of young players that make the break into first team football. The sheer amount of football that goes through him is uncanny.

That thirty minutes should really be convincing you just how good a player he’s going to be. Use your noggin’.

Drainy

Finishing, passing, touch, vision and movement are all exceptional for a 17 year old. Of course mature physical players are going to get close to him to try and unsteady his balance and make him lose the ball.

It happens to 99% of young players when they start out, particularly playing in the middle. Have some fecking patience.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Finishing, passing, touch, vision and movement are all exceptional for a 17 year old. Of course mature physical players are going to get close to him to try and unsteady his balance and make him lose the ball.

It happens to 99% of young players when they start out, particularly playing in the middle. Have some fecking patience.
They were doing the exact same thing to Chong, only thing they lack at the moment is experience.

Pierluigi Casiraghi

Do you have any Sunday League mates who are more ambidextrous than him?

SteveW

Has to be a starter. He's just better than all our other attackers. It's blatantly obvious too.

Jacob

:lol::lol::lol:

feck me he's 17. Played in 5 pre season games.

He can use both feet - which is certainly not what you'd have from a one trick pony for a start.
It's not a fair comparison but Messi convinced from the first minute. You don't need hundreds of games to prove talent.

SteveW

He was brilliant. Who could seriously criticise that performance? How are some people moaning here?

Kearnkoff69

It's not a fair comparison but Messi convinced from the first minute. You don't need hundreds of games to prove talent.
Don't disagree with the second sentence, but that's a horrible comparison. Messi is a generational talent. That's like criticizing young basketball players for not looking like Michael Jordan in their first NBA season. The kid has tools, whether he puts it together and turns those tools into something great is all on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.