5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Handré1990

Seems many of you are living in the 90s still - again... a constant problem with Utd's fanbase.

In the modern era, with Sport Science where it is and with the right management there's no reason that an 18 year old shouldn't be featuring regularly.

I'm very confident that we'll see him feature regularly after what he's shown in recent months.
Seems you’re missing a point here as well. It’s not just about the physical aspect.

lumeyes

As I said previously people have been creaming themselves over James despite his lack of end product whereas Greenwood presents a strong case for a good alternative as he's exceptional in that very important area.
I wouldn't be too harsh on James to say he lacked end product. He can score when playing from the left, which allows him the chance to cut into his right leg. I admit he needs to improve in the final third but I also bear in mind where he was when he first came to the club. What I think he, as well as Rashford and in fact many in the team need, is proper coaching. A good player can have a couple average games and it can be beneficial not to keep trying too hard but sit back and access the situation. I see him and Rashford, especially the latter try to use the tactics that work against an "open defence" (e.g vs Man City or Spurs) on a team that's dug deep. I believe some of the players should be experienced enough not to keep running at such a defence but the coaching crew should be doing a lot more.

It's good to see Greenwood gradually getting into men football. That's how you use a kid. Play them in their natural positions and with the best team you can afford. In that way they get protected, their confidence and invariably play will naturally improve with time. I have seen enough of Greenwood at the youth level to believe he is bound for the top, and this opinion did not change after the first games in which he was average to poor. Read a few criticism about his play and the misplaced trust in youth by some people here. We need patience with kids, and right now I believe we have to use them more. For two reasons. First this season is a write off in my opinion. There is no chance of a top four finish except if we get 3 key players and even at that they may not have the time to adjust before the season ends. The second reason is that the older players we have are not really better. In fact they can be worse some times. It's better to give the likes of Greenwood a significant part of the minutes that have gone to Lingard, Mata, etc. I don't have anything against the two but there is no more room for them to improve beyond their best days.

I have said it before, and maybe will be proven wrong in the future but I believe in Greenwood, Garner, Gomes, Levitt, Aidan Barlow, Laird and Williams. They don't necessarily have to end up as world class players but anything from very good to good is enough. Levitt, Barlow and Gomes may have some question marks, especially the last two but the reason I think they'll make it is their level of footballing intelligence. Or willingness to apply intelligence. Garner is also another intelligent operator. How I wish our own Nani applied a bit of intelligence to his play, he would have been a much better player.

Hoping to see more of Greenwood in the new year!

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Seems you’re missing a point here as well. It’s not just about the physical aspect.
Oh no, I got that - 'it's too much pressure at Utd for an adult who's good enough to be in the first 11 to actually play regularly' etc.

Yeah, I view that as a load of garbage as well.

We're years past that type of attitude, as much as people love parrotting it - if you're 18 and good enough, you're old enough.

Handré1990

Oh no, I got that - 'it's too much pressure at Utd for an adult who's good enough to be in the first 11 to actually play regularly' etc.

We're years past that type of attitude, as much as people love parrotting it - if you're 18 and good enough, you're old enough.
He’s playing though? Not having the responsibility of a guaranteed starter while playing a part in almost every game is perfect for now imo. It’s not garbage, however much you want it to be. Science says the brain is still developing and maturing a lot between 18-21 as well, so there’s that. Having the safety of a more junior role while learning the ropes is a good thing. He is still allowed to have bad games and periods where he might be taken out of the spotlight for a while, without a collective press and fanbase jumping down his throat. Say what you will about Ole, but he is actually developing our youth players for the long term.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Scary to think that if we had kept that wannabe footballer Lukaku this kid would have never been brought to the stage...

Side note - I’m all for weaning in a young player if they’re inconsistent. It helps regulate their confidence and development so they don’t go off the rails when they have their inevitable bad game. However if you’re scoring every game you best believe you’re going to play every game. You ride that wave. just me 2cents

In fact I remember Mason coming on one game with a hickey on his neck looking absolutely drained. He messed up almost every touch and barely ran around. He was dropped from the squad for the next two games after with Ole saying things like ‘he knows what he has to do’ in pressers. Ole has got a good grip on him lads.

Red00012

Well he is the best teenager in world football bar Sancho on form. Most goals other than Sancho so the hype should be all out.

Outperforming Jao Felix after his 120mil transfer.

As long as he keeps scoring at a similar rate to what he is he should probably go to the euros.
Chill out says Mbappe and a lot more

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

You think "if you're good enough, you're old enough" is a modern, enlightened idea?

Varun1

Seems many of you are living in the 90s still - again... a constant problem with Utd's fanbase.

In the modern era, with Sport Science where it is and with the right management there's no reason that an 18 year old shouldn't be featuring regularly.

I'm very confident that we'll see him feature regularly after what he's shown in recent months.
I guess Ole (& SAF) has also been living in the 90s since he is 'managing' the number of 1st team starts for our young players.

I'll have to trust your profound knowledge of modern era sports science and United's fanbase.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I guess Ole (& SAF) has also been living in the 90s since he is 'managing' the number of 1st team starts for our young players.

I'll have to trust your profound knowledge of modern era sports science and United's fanbase.
Probably a wise move mate, considering that Fergie had, as teenagers, First Team regulars such as...

Rooney
Ronaldo
Giggs
Scholes

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
If we get into deep Europa and FA cup run he will be hitting 20 comfortably.
These kind of predictions never go the way you think they will, 8 goals thus far is a great return but it's mental to even think he'll get anywhere near 20 this season and if he does then wow

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I actually thought Carroll did well in 2012 being the focal point of the hoof-ball set-up but I very much get your point. :D

Godfather

I just hope his body will still grow a bit. As he has just turned 18 there is every chance it will. He has all football abilities you would want but he is still very very lightweight.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I just hope his body will still grow a bit. As he has just turned 18 there is every chance it will. He has all football abilities you would want but he is still very very lightweight.
Hes tall enough! Just needs to get stronger (not bulk up imo), and learn how to use his body normally in the prem. Not an issue at all though as that always takes a while to come, he has the raw physical attributes.

The Urban Goose

Fowler I think
Good call. Imagine having a fit, athletic and professional version of Fowler... the sky could be the limit for this kid.

ETA: checked wiki, in his first season as an 18-19 year old he got 18.

Then 31.

Then 36.

There are your targets, Mason...

Last edited:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The most impressive thing about him for me is his decision making. I actually expect him to both make the right choice and have the ability to pull it off when he picks up the ball. That's quite rare in attacking players in general and much more so when they're still a teenager.

He was definitely too good last season not to be given some game time but I'm surprised how we'll he's done so quickly. Think Ole's managed him perfectly so far.

I wouldn't be comfortable with him being thrown in every game but if he keeps scoring he might force the issue. If he hits lul, well he's only just 18 so it's barely even am issue. 8 goals in a season is already beyond what I'd have expected, and it's not like they're meaningless goals either. Nearly all of them have been important ones.

For all the struggles this season you have to say the forward played are doing their job. We have three of them with a scoring record well above 1 every 2 games. Then James who has also done better than I thought.

Godfather

Hes tall enough! Just needs to get stronger (not bulk up imo), and learn how to use his body normally in the prem. Not an issue at all though as that always takes a while to come, he has the raw physical attributes.
I agree he is tall enough. I do think he needs to bulk a bit though.

Status
Not open for further replies.