5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoomSlayer

I agree with it, but certain players just cost more money now. One of the benefits of being Man Utd is getting to quality players like Pogba and similar when others can't. You are right, we aren't the top dogs but we're close. With the emergence of Greenwood, we might not need to buy another striker or go short terming for any more striker loan deals. We just bought James and can't afford to gamble on another similar signing when we know we need more quality up front to become top dogs.
Honestly, I think Ziyech would have been the perfect player for us and I envy Chelsea a bit for getting him. He is exactly the type of player we lack and is the right age, which would have allowed Mason to develop with much less pressure.

He would also have been a much better option to replace Bruno, whereas Sancho is a lot more attack-minded and I don't think he can match Bruno's intensity in the middle of the park or lead by example.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Honestly, I think Ziyech would have been the perfect player for us and I envy Chelsea a bit for getting him. He is exactly the type of player we lack and is the right age, which would have allowed Mason to develop with much less pressure.

He would also have been a much better option to replace Bruno, whereas Sancho is a lot more attack-minded and I don't think he can match Bruno's intensity in the middle of the park or lead by example.
He looks incredible yeah, and would have been the right type of player stylistically but I have doubts about other areas with him. Chelsea can be incredible with him and they might not be, but either way he is gone so we have to look elsewhere. Even Traore wouldn't be cheap, I just don't see that many alternatives but that's why we have scouts though. We need to have a player for that right side either way, because I think buying a backup striker to Martial while keeping Greenwood wide is just dumb.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Can we please stop using this term “generational talent” it’s up their with when people talk about ceilings.

He’s a good player, if buying him means one of Rashford, Martial or Greenwood drops to the bench, then so be - because he would have to be playing bloody brilliantly for that to happen.

When we are playing 60 games a season, and one of the players (Greenwood) is only 18, we have more than enough game time to keep all 4 very very happy. It’s not a problem.
I'm not sure if I ever heard the term generational talent until a few weeks ago. I'm seeing it absolutely everywhere on here since

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'm not sure if I ever heard the term generational talent until a few weeks ago. I'm seeing it absolutely everywhere on here since
Not saying it specifically about Greenwood but any good teenager seems to be labelled as a generational talent, it's become a very popular term over the last couple of years.

Revan

Assumptionman
Displacing Greenwood means nothing.

Let's say United play 55 matches next season

Sancho Martial Greenwood - 18 games
Rashford Martial Sancho - 18 games

Martial & Sancho = 36 starts thus far

Rashford Greenwood whoever - 19 games (55 matches - 18 - 18 = 19)

That leaves 36 starts for Rashford, Greenwood, Martial, and Sancho within 55 matches next season. Not including any subs. Sancho only had 36 starts for Dortmund this year and it's not possible for Greenwood to have a total of 36 starts this season. Meaning that Greenwood would have an improvement of starts next season even with Sancho in the team.

You're worrying about nothing when it comes to minutes.
Yup, 55 starts means 165 possible slots. If we distribute them uniformly, everyone of them starts 41 matches. Of course, this is a bit simplistic, Greenwood would probably start less, Ighalo might start a couple of matches, there might be a few injuries etc, but I think that there are enough positions there to have 4 quality players.

The only problem I see, is that one of them (most likely Greenwood) will miss most of the important matches which might slightly slow his development. On the other hand, he should be able to displace Martial/Rashford in a couple of years anyway, so probably it is not a problem.

criticalanalysis

His second against Bournemouth had an xG of 11%. It's madness that it went in when he was essentially dribbling away from goal before he hit it.
I don't know what xG means but both of Greenwood's goals should have been saved by the keeper if we're honest. Yes they were hit with power but the fact Ramsdale got a hand on both, shows they weren't amazingly placed top corner shots.

I was surprised both went in because those shots from those areas don't usually go in at those angles. When I saw the replays, it just confirmed my suspicions.

I would be crucifying De Gea or any keeper (on our team) if they let that in.

Of course I'm glad it went it btw.

In Rainbows

Yup, 55 starts means 165 possible slots. If we distribute them uniformly, everyone of them starts 41 matches. Of course, this is a bit simplistic, Greenwood would probably start less, Ighalo might start a couple of matches, there might be a few injuries etc, but I think that there are enough positions there to have 4 quality players.

The only problem I see, is that one of them (most likely Greenwood) will miss most of the important matches which might slightly slow his development. On the other hand, he should be able to displace Martial/Rashford in a couple of years anyway, so probably it is not a problem.
For important matches I think we should prioritize seniority as the younger players have more chances to get those chances as they age and we lessen the pressure on their shoulders. However, if say Greenwood is clutch and Sancho isn't, then Greenwood should be prioritized in those situations. That goes for anyone.

But I also think that different big games require different profiles of players. For a possession based side like City, it make more sense to prioritize technical ability. Example, when facing Chelsea it made sense to start Chicha as he was a Chelsea killer. But for Barca in the finals, it was a mistake to have someone like Chicha.

So it depends on the situation.

crossy1686

career ending
I don't know what xG means but both of Greenwood's goals should have been saved by the keeper if we're honest. Yes they were hit with power but the fact Ramsdale got a hand on both, shows they weren't amazingly placed top corner shots.

I was surprised both went in because those shots from those areas don't usually go in at those angles. When I saw the replays, it just confirmed my suspicions.

I would be crucifying De Gea or any keeper (on our team) if they let that in.

Of course I'm glad it went it btw.
First of all, xG is expected goals, and from where he shot from the chance of a goal was 11%, so 1 in 10 shots from that position go in.

I think you're being a bit harsh. I also noticed that the goalkeeper got a touch on them both as well but he strikers the ball so clean and quickly that shots are past people before they have time to properly react to it. I think if anything, the goalkeeper should be praised for getting anything on them both.

His feet are lightning quick, watch the goals back and see how fast he goes from dribbling the ball to dragging his football back and striking the ball, it happens all too quick for anyone to react.

Henry used to do the same. If you can get a shot off before the goalkeeper has chance to ready himself and read what you're going to do, the ball is already past him before he can do anything about it.

ChaddyP

You must be in the 1% of people who have that, because just like feet and hands, though not to the same degree, humans have a dominant eye.
Didn't actually realise that was a thing. I shoot my camera and my rifle with both eyes. Doesn't really matter either way for me so maybe that's why I thought it was normal

Valencia Shin Crosses

I don’t think people seem to realize that depth in attacking/creative options is how you rise to the elite level. Thinking that buying one of the best wingers in the world that’s 21 and English because you are afraid that an 18 year olds development might be stunted, when we have literally no options behind him currently, is crazy thinking and will hold us back from reaching the top levels again.

Quite frankly for any club staying at the top, a creative player or goal scorer should be brought in every year. Madrid won 4 UCLs the past decade because they could trot out BBC with Kroos and Modric behind, but also rotate Isco, Jese (at one point he was fantastic), Vasquez, Kovavic, Morata etc.

Prodigal7

I don’t think people seem to realize that depth in attacking/creative options is how you rise to the elite level. Thinking that buying one of the best wingers in the world that’s 21 and English because you are afraid that an 18 year olds development might be stunted, when we have literally no options behind him currently, is crazy thinking and will hold us back from reaching the top levels again.

Quite frankly for any club staying at the top, a creative player or goal scorer should be brought i
Agreed. It’s also pretty obvious to most that Greenwood’s future is as a number 9.
Not buying Sancho if we have the opportunity and seeing him go to another PL side would be a mistake of monumental proportions. He is perfect for our right hand side or maybe even left side if Rashfords future is more central

criticalanalysis

First of all, xG is expected goals, and from where he shot from the chance of a goal was 11%, so 1 in 10 shots from that position go in.

I think you're being a bit harsh. I also noticed that the goalkeeper got a touch on them both as well but he strikers the ball so clean and quickly that shots are past people before they have time to properly react to it. I think if anything, the goalkeeper should be praised for getting anything on them both.

His feet are lightning quick, watch the goals back and see how fast he goes from dribbling the ball to dragging his football back and striking the ball, it happens all too quick for anyone to react.

Henry used to do the same. If you can get a shot off before the goalkeeper has chance to ready himself and read what you're going to do, the ball is already past him before he can do anything about it.

Not the best replays/angles mind.

The first shot, the keeper was almost square on and in a good position. The fact he went for a dive meant he was reacting after the shot; I think better footwork was needed here. He could have punched it or parried it, if he moved more centrally like we see many times with fiercely hitten down-the-throat shots.

Second one, Ramsdale was in a good position, covering his near post (you might want to see my posts in the Kepa thread haha about this) and was set up to cover any far post shot. He got a hand to it but it should have been a stronger one to tip/deflect it away. It seems he wanted to get a clean and full contact, which is the wrong technique for a power shot hit that closely imo.

Maybe I'm harsh but then I'd agree with the xG i.e if you've watched enough football, the goals Greenwood scored were 1/10 chances and whilst he hit them well, there weren't your perfectly hit 1/10 shots i.e straight line proper rockets/upright corner.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
If you watch from 8 mins on this vid he scores two free kicks in one game with his right. At about 9.30 he’s scores an incredible free kick with his left.

That last goal is just ridiculous. He just caresses it into back of net. Lethal.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Not saying it specifically about Greenwood but any good teenager seems to be labelled as a generational talent, it's become a very popular term over the last couple of years.
The ones I can think of that have been called that are Mbappe, Haaland, and maybe Sancho, Greenwood, and Foden. So far it's still not out of the realm of possibilities it's true for all of them. Granted though, that word should be reserved after we've seen them for a few years, I think it applies for Mbappe thus far, but I feel all those names have a chance to get there in a few years as well.

SinNombre

Mbappe and Dembele popularized it.

Both emerged at the same and every big club wanted one of the 2.

Interestingly enough, it is an artifact of the Ronaldo/Messi domination. Big clubs do not want to miss out on such players since they are almost impossible to buy once established (outside of us letting Ronaldo go right when he entered his prime years).

Lj82

If I'm not mistaken he has only scored 2 or 3 goals so far with his right. I have been so surprised by that. I think from now on for this season you'll see at least half of his goals will be with his right foot.
He plays on the right most of the time for us, so more often than not the angle is better to shoot with his left when he cuts in.

Another factor could be as he tries to break into the team, he tends to rely on his stronger foot. When his confidence is sky high, he will use both feet.

RedCurry

At what point does Ole begin to consider Mason over Martial at 9 if we get Sancho? Seemed to be a given Mason would come off the bench but he has been phenomenal. Just a natural goal scorer!
If we had Sancho in our squad right now, Rashford would be the one to struggle for game time not Martial. Greenwood is doing well out wide primarily because Martial is the one occupying two CBs all game. We’ve tried Greenwood as CF this season and he really struggled.

Charles89

There are 5 more games to go, hopefully he can end up with 10 or more goals for the season.

He is just so confident and clinical, when the ball falls to him in or around the box, you just know he will do something special.

Even though he's being managed at the moment by Ole, I think he has shown what it takes to be a consistent starter, now that he's had his proper breakthrough season, it should be onwards and upwards from here.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Quite frankly for any club staying at the top, a creative player or goal scorer should be brought in every year. Madrid won 4 UCLs the past decade because they could trot out BBC with Kroos and Modric behind, but also rotate Isco, Jese (at one point he was fantastic), Vasquez, Kovavic, Morata etc.
Couldn't have said it better. We need a better squad, therefore better subs too. It's not just about the first 11.
I think there is a generation of fans who develop this weird relationships with players, basically some players are seen as threats to their idols rather than an opportunity for the team and the player himself to be better. It's really weird.
Greenwood is doing superbly but we still need competition on the wings, if he is as good as we think he is, it won't bother him.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
When I play football (admittedly at a crap level :lol:) one thing I can do well is hit the ball really fecking hard, and more often than not if you can hit the target at the same time you will result in a goal / decent effort on goal.

Therefore it utterly delights me to see Mason absolutely thumping the ball as hard as he can for his goals :D:drool:

FromTheBench

If we had Sancho in our squad right now, Rashford would be the one to struggle for game time not Martial. Greenwood is doing well out wide primarily because Martial is the one occupying two CBs all game. We’ve tried Greenwood as CF this season and he really struggled.
Tbf Greenwood has bulked up fairly during the lockdown.

romufc

There are way too many knee jerk reactions from fans. Greenwood scores in 2 games and he is ready to take the RW.. NO. Greenwood needs to be nurtured.

Signing another potential WC in our forward line would take us to another level. If someone gets injured, we have no backup at the moment.

Signing someone does not mean another player will be halted. Ole got rid of Sanchez and Lukaku for Greenwood. I trust Ole in this aspect, he has rated him and will know exactly how many games he can play.

We saw at the start of the season when alot of the fans including me were calling for Greenwood to start and he didnt, he has brought him into the team in a careful way. He has handled him brilliantly.

If we relied on Greenwood earlier, it could have shot his confidence playing in a team where no chances created and we looked to an 18 year old to bail us out. Now he has the players around him to play his natural game and grow into the team.

MDFC Manager

Is explosive pace ‘the acceleration’? In which case, I dunno. He looks fast enough with good acceleration but considering that I don’t follow youth categories, I don’t know how good at it he really is.
The second goal is pretty much a product of explosive pace/acceleration.

Skeezix

The boy is mint and truly World Class!!

Gave up watching and following the academy players/matches after Adnan Januzaj and James Wilson, Demetri Mitchell, Sean Goss failed to make the cut. So, I completely missed out on his development.
Greenwood is the player I expected Wilson to become. He is so unfazed by the step up to the Premier League. Holding off the ball against stronger Men, no misplaced passes. Powerful shots which makes the Goalie scream at his defenders. It is obvious by now that he wouldn't tail off like the others.

The timing of his goals throughout this season are all so crucial - Many of them were equalisers and match winners and not Stat padding goals.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Up until Bruno scored the other day I don't think we had scored from our last 40 odd attempts at direct free kicks, looking forward to Greenwood putting himself in the reckoning for those opportunities more often. Especially the ones in and around the box.

He has come on so much since his start vs. Cardiff where he was snatching at opportunities.

Red00012

Sancho is shaking...

At this rate I don't even need a Sancho.
Behave

If we want to catch up to city and the other crowd we need options .

Greenwood gets an injury and who comes in to replace him only bang average options

crossy1686

career ending
Like who? Greenwood, Sancho, Bellingham, Foden? Anyone else? I think you're confusing the amount that word is used to describe them instead of the people it's being used with.

El Zoido

Behave

If we want to catch up to city and the other crowd we need options .

Greenwood gets an injury and who comes in to replace him only bang average options
Exactly, and even if he doesn’t get injured, he can’t play every minute of every game. If he’s injured then we bring in Dan James or Lingard..

Havak

Pokemon master
Really fancy him to get 20+ goals and 5+ assists now considering we have the Europa League games as well. Convinced he plays in every Premier League game now and starts three or four of the remaining five along with the Chelsea FA Cup game. Would it be cheating to play him against LASK? :lol: He'll probably be on the bench there with Chong, Ighalo, James starting...

Kid just looks lethal. If we sign Sancho, I wouldn't be surprised if in another year or two it's actually Martial giving up the most game time to accommodate Sancho/Greenwood in the side, assuming everything falls into place and these lads keep producing. I can't see any reason why not other than the obvious like injury etc.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The mind still boggles, he's played 1987 minutes, the equivalent of just 22 games, and scored 15 goals without being a focal point of attack centrally.

Rolaholic

Not available in my location. feck! I really want to see this video. feck!
It's the same footage of their goalie screaming not to let Mason turn and then cursing his backline out after he scores posted a few pages back

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

This made me smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.