Mason Greenwood (Please post respectfully)

Do you want Mason Greenwood to return next year ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Steve

This man and his girlfriend need to come out with a huge interview to clear the air regarding this situation, and come with plausible explanations as to what happened. The audio evidence that is out there is pretty damning.

Otherwise he has to leave United and the country as a whole. He will be absolutely despised by everyone.

Cloud7

The bloke hasn’t kicked a ball in anger for the best part of 18 months. Anyone who thinks he will just walk back in to the game and continue where he left off is kidding themselves. For that reason (alone, honest) I don’t want the bloke anywhere near the club next season or beyond.
Crazy that it’s already been so long. Feels like just yesterday all that news broke.

mu4c_20le

I think its clear ETH is interested in him, and would have no problems playing him. He once played someone under investigation for attempted murder in Holland. He's the only one I'd trust to get him to his potential.

owlo

I believe in redemption, but think that should come with conditions. A public apology, a year out on loan with perfect behaviour, community work, and introspection a year from now in an interview would be enough for me to see him reintegrated in 24/25.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
If he doesn't play for us, he'll play for someone else, and he'll absolutely tear it up wherever he goes. He's a genuine generational talent.

Not to say that we should bring him back (I'd like a statement or more information from the club before I come down on a side really), but a footballer of his abilities will succeed in the game, the same way we've seen top players come back from long term injuries before.
Can't say I agree. Before any of this, I wasn't fully sold on him. He was good but I think Garnacho was better at their respective ages

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
He would need a year to get used to professional football again. Nevermind all the issues around it. Major doubts he would come back to the level he was before at United. Probably needs to leave the country.
I doubt it takes that long. A summer training with the team and he'll be right back to where he was before.

The Dane

I think we should lend him out for a season to see if he can get back in form and cope with the pressure from opposition fans.

evil_geko

The poll is much closer than I thought it would be.

My answer is No of course.

Zoo

Only after full consultation with fan groups, the women’s team etc. Even then don’t think so - he hasn’t played for what 18 months? Who knows where he’s at mentally and physically and how long it could take him to get back up the needed levels if he even still can. Probably best to move him out.

Raw

Set aside the morality of it (because it's obviously a big no to him staying) and think purely about the team.

If he did come back, do you think the players will be comfortable around him? They all must know what he did. Would you want to work with someone like him? Probably not. I wouldn't want to put the dressing room in any jeopardy.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I'll comment now.

Personally, whatever your morals are, I cannot unhear that video.

But even if you could... there's another two stumbling blocks.

First, his conduct professionally outside of this incident has been shown to be questionable to say the least and apparently we have a no-dickhead policy now, supported by a manager who's keen on team morale.

Second, how good is he now after two years out of the game? At best, his development would have stunted, at worst regressed. Even if he gets back to where he was before, will he ever be United level?

If United don't want to let him go just yet (and even if they did for some money), a loan abroad sounds like the most sensible option. We can see if he's still OK as a player and if he's even willing to work on his image.

But, as I said, he has to do more beyond the football side to be allowed back in. He needs to show public remorse and even do an interview on the topic. Else, I cannot see any way for him to be back in the squad and even with that, it'll be steep road.

Last edited:

The Hilton

Can't say I agree. Before any of this, I wasn't fully sold on him. He was good but I think Garnacho was better at their respective ages
I couldn't disagree more, Greenwood has shown much more than Garnacho at the same age, they're both skilled but Greenwood's decision making (on the pitch) is way ahead.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
There’s no way I know enough to answer this poll. It depends entirely on what any internal investigation has found, and what the player’s behaviour and attitude has been to the whole affair.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Difficult one. Am I completely wrong in feeling that the club needs to bear some responsibility for this situation, given that Greenwood has been with the club since he was 6 years old? Just binning him just doesn't sit right with me, for some reason. He's also a very young man still, and even though he's not being criminally prosecuted you could argue he's had a fair share of punishment given the ubiquitous media coverage.

I dunno. I just hope the club makes the right decision after their investigation, whatever that ends up being. But I don't necessarily think he's beyond salvation.
What about his parents...?

I think we as a club tend to be pretty good to our players, so not sure that this is on us.

El Jefe

Bring him back and get rid of Sancho.

I would like transparency however, if the club brings him back we need to know how this was determined through the outcome of their investigation. I would like Mason to explain why he should be given a chance and also his gf too.

Cloud7

I have to say I don’t like that ten Hag says that any return is not up to him.
To be fair it should not be his call, whether yes or no. A manager is a rotating cog in the club just like any other player. It should be the club hierarchy to make the call on this, hopefully after carefully assessing all the information, the opinions of everyone around the club and speaking to the player themselves. Ultimately the club hierarchy are the ones responsible for the people they want at the club, the image of the club etc etc.

Ted Lasso

If the wife & the law has forgiven him - I can forgive him.
There was perhaps only one circumstance in a million scenarios where I could have even contemplated it. Somehow that's what we've landed on. For the sake of mother , child and also troubled young man , I do hope that this last year can serve as a turning point and path towards growth, recovery and love.

I do not forgive him as it's not my place or problem and I'm still uneasy about seeing him in the United shirt again. But sometimes I suppose I do believe in second chances.

FriedClams

another question to Consider

let’s say he leaves, and 3 years from how is playing in the champions league, banging the goals in for fun and is a 100m + player. Do you wish we kept him?

jm99

I don't think he should, but I think he will. Premier league clubs don't tend to voluntarily give up as valuable an asset as greenwood unless they're forced to

BuzzKillington

I won’t answer this poll because any return on his part would need to come with a lot of caveats. It’s not a straightforward yes or no for me.

On the one hand most people should be capable of redemption. On the other, well I listened to the tape again.

I genuinely don’t know. We’d need to hear from him, and given there’s not likely to be any contrition for fear of prosecution, I’m not sure he’d be able to say anything to convince me it’s worth it.

Last edited:

Orange Tree

Sell or loan him for a season. See how he fares, if he has become a better person.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

The only way I can see him playing for United next season is if him and his girlfriend (now fiance I think) do a frank joint interview where they provide reasonable explanations for what we've all seen/heard on social media: e.g. the audio was part of a CNC roleplay and the photos weren't due to his violence. It would have to be one hell of a PR spin by the club.

Idxomer

Even if we set the moral debate aside, can you really stop playing for 18 months and come back playing at anywhere near your level before?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The girl and he are having a kid and by all accounts are back together.

And he was not convicted of any charges.
Nice one. I feel we're grandstanding him then if we're judging him by a different metric than either the law or his romantic partner (of whom I would have the most concern).

Granted I still think he seems like a twat but I think that of a lot of footballers and he's a pretty decent one based on previous performances.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I couldn't disagree more, Greenwood has shown much more than Garnacho at the same age, they're both skilled but Greenwood's decision making (on the pitch) is way ahead.
Not for me. I found Greenwood frustrating and incredibly greedy

HarryP

Innocent until proven guilty doesn't really apply in a case where we all literally saw a video of it happening, but it didn't go to a court case for other reasons
We don't know the context. Couples often engage in all sorts of consensual roleplay stuff. Nobody but the individuals concerned truly know the context.

The police looked at this in more detail than any of us and decided in the end that Greenwood doesn't have a case to answer for. So that should be the end of it - otherwise I fear for the trial by Twitter society we inhabit.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
It has to be a yes if we allowed Ronaldo to play. If his partner wants it then that's really the end of the conversation. I would quite like to hear her say it though.

Varun

Staff
Needless to say, remember what the investigation found out so far when posting. Anything which can get the caf in legal trouble or victim blaming of any kind will see warnings.

If you're on the fence about the post being appropriate or not, don't post it.

gormless

Hey if Partey, Benzema & Ribery can be competing for/winning trophies, why not? Why should Man Utd be held to the moral standard when everyone isn't/ cheats.
If the allegations online are true about Partey it’s a disgrace he is still playing. Benzema is a dick but nothing to the extent of the offence Greenwood was arrested for. Ribery I don’t know enough about to comment

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I believe in second chances. Especially if he's with the same lady and the courts see him as innocent.

I'm sure all of you are saints.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Reading the comments make me understand that what law decides is of little significance. The People's Court is the highest power innit. Just out of curiosity, will anyone stop watching United if he comes back?

Jev

I see no reason why we shouldn't earn 20 million by selling him to an Italian club or whoever wants him. He obviously should never play for us again.

Status
Not open for further replies.