g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Mason Mount image 7

Mason Mount England flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

marktan

My theory on this transfer is it was ass covering from Murtough and co after they'd fecked up so bad the previous year chasing De Jong until late August. No matter what they wanted to make a notable signing early in the window so it looked well planned. They probably told Ten Hag that Mount was available "for a good price" or something and so he thought it would be a good pick up (which it would be for ~£30m). Then the price just kept going up and up and instead of walking away they said "feck it!", bought him anyway, and then went on summer hols thinking job done.

Mount seems is a solid pro but it's such a terrible signing on every level. Even with everyone fit he doesn't make the first 11. All that money on completely the wrong profile of player and even worse he's years past his best form and increasingly injury prone. Make it make sense.
My opinion is that Ten Haag watched him in the Eeredivisie and decided he was good, like pretty much all the other players he's decided to sign.

There's no way anyone could've watched Mount for England and decided he was worth anywhere near what we paid. Even for Chelsea whenever I watched them (around 10 times) he never stood out, people point out his assists and goals - the former being boosted by a lot of corners to the likes of Zouma and Rudiger and the later by runs into the box, spaces that Bruno occupies. We seem to sign players with no actual context of what we're signing. At this point I genuinely think I'd do a better job than whatever our scouting team is doing.

Stuu

That’s the problem with fan theories. They sound like poor fan fiction off Reddit. Be honest, none of us have a clue as to how the signing came about and probably won’t either for a long time or ever. Fact is, a few clubs were chasing him, including Liverpool and Klopp. He’s a good player, but where does he fit? What’s the actual plan?

In reality, under a better regime - injuries notwithstanding- he’s likely a good signing. A high quality rotational player, who’s versatile, experienced, home grown, and has a great work ethic. The 55m we spent on him is much less of an issue for me than the 60 we spent on a 30 year old DM or the 80 we spent on an unproven RW.
I'm sure a lot of clubs including Liverpool were in for him initially but not for 55 feckin million. Instead they picked up Szoboszlai for £10m less who is 2 years younger and has no serious injury history. Also, you don't spend £55m on a "rotational player" and especially when we desperately need starters. That money plus a McTominay sale could have secured us an elite young DM, CB, or another striker to backup Hojlund. Non-existent planning and now we're are seeing the results.

Red00012

Heard a rumour that the reason he’s been missing isn’t injury related.

Cloud7

Heard a rumour that the reason he’s been missing isn’t injury related.
What’s the rumor mate? PM me please if it’s something you can’t post privately. I don’t think we can deal with another scandal this season :lol:

Red Royal

Heard a rumour from a mate of a friend who says his landlords sister is the girlfriend of a guy who cuts the hair of the dude who delivers the post of a Carrington security guard who thinks he has some big news on Mason Mount.

But I can't say what and can't even PM it for fear of character defamation accusations.

bstb3

Jeez, just put it here so we can all laugh at you it. At this rate you'll have had more PM's than the current session of parliament and that's more than anyone should have to put up with.

Red00012

Don’t shoot (PM) the messenger .

its not hard to guess if it’s not injury

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Glad his move has worked out well so far. Class act is Money Mase.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I heard from my source in the Jamaican Delegation that he was filmed snorting a line of Charlie off Peps bald head in Fab Cafe.

Ghostrider318

We paid 60m for him and hes barely played. when he did , he was barely noticeable. Couldve easily waited till the summer.

Another ManUtd transfer masterclass(not)

Pronewbie

Peep
In hindsight, his injury made McT coming back into the team look like a masterstroke for a short period. He's also made many of us miss Fred. Also had fewer touches than Onana in his first couple of games and didn't have that many more touches/passes than Eriksen with 3x more minutes on the pitch.

I hope he can do far better than what I've seen of him in Chelsea last season and with us so far. But I've always thought it'd be highly unlikely.

Barring a serious drop in form, Mainoo and Eriksen deserve to start ahead of him.

Red00012

Doesn't get the attention of loads of people asking for PMs from him that way.
Not sure what PM’s have to do with anything . Just posted I heard a rumour . I haven’t got any PM’s just so you know and wouldn’t reply either way

kaku06

Vulgarian
What is it with all the PM requests? Absolute gossip mongers hoping and dying to know anything spicy about anyone to fill the void in their lives.

Swear on your mothers that you will pass it on as soon as you come to know.

Seveneric

Don’t shoot (PM) the messenger .

its not hard to guess if it’s not injury
Erm, what??? There are literally a hundred and one other things it could be? He’s depressed, he fell out with the manager, there’s an unfolding off-field scandal he’s involved in, personal/family troubles, the list goes on :houllier:

Red00012

Erm, what??? There are literally a hundred and one other things it could be? He’s depressed, he fell out with the manager, there’s an unfolding off-field scandal he’s involved in, personal/family troubles, the list goes on :houllier:
One of the above

LInkash

He's depressed because he sexually assaulted and fell out with the manager while taking drugs.

Nas-JR

My opinion is that Ten Haag watched him in the Eeredivisie and decided he was good, like pretty much all the other players he's decided to sign.

There's no way anyone could've watched Mount for England and decided he was worth anywhere near what we paid. Even for Chelsea whenever I watched them (around 10 times) he never stood out, people point out his assists and goals - the former being boosted by a lot of corners to the likes of Zouma and Rudiger and the later by runs into the box, spaces that Bruno occupies. We seem to sign players with no actual context of what we're signing. At this point I genuinely think I'd do a better job than whatever our scouting team is doing.
Ten hag has explicitly said in an interview with Andy Mitten that it had nothing to do with a loan spell in the Dutch league as it was a short spell when he was a teenager and it would be daft to ask for mount based on that alone ! This was said by Mitten in the talk of the devils podcast where he and multiple other united journalists also state that it wasn't Ten hag that specifically asked for mount but that he was presented as a viable target and he gave the green light (ie didn't use his veto). There's no need to spin absolutely everything to pin crap transfers on the manager.

To note, I am not absolving ten hag for all signings. His pick of Antony is abysmal, although I still firmly believe the fee we ended up paying is purely the fault of upper management for their abysmal planning in his first summer.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Juicy Juiced

We paid 60m for him and hes barely played. when he did , he was barely noticeable. Couldve easily waited till the summer.

Another ManUtd transfer masterclass(not)
All transfers from last summer should be invesigated.
Onana
Mount
Rasmus.
JFC, did any club have so manny bad signings in one summer.