g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Mason Mount image 7

Mason Mount England flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

pacifictheme

I wonder if EtH brave enough to copy what Arsenal did against Liverpool, with Odeegard and Havertz duo floating, and Martinelli - Saka out wide. Although it will sacrifice the in-form Hojlund (or probably having Hojlund on the left).

Rashford --------------------------- Garnacho
-----------Mount--------------Bruno
------Casemiro---------------Mainoo

--Back Four

Mount and Bruno can drifted wide to left and right if needed, while Rashford/Hojlund and Garnacho can go central.
I personally want to see this against Villa. It looks like the most stable formation between defense and attack, with the players we have.
No thanks.

This formation is lunacy, not to mention mount hasn't completed 90 minutes for us in the prem and has been injured foro ths, so changing our formation for him to start in a hard away game doesn't seem very smart to me.

If he's fit then great, he can earn his place in the starting line up off the bench like any player trying to break into the team.

didz

I wonder if EtH brave enough to copy what Arsenal did against Liverpool, with Odeegard and Havertz duo floating, and Martinelli - Saka out wide. Although it will sacrifice the in-form Hojlund (or probably having Hojlund on the left).

Rashford --------------------------- Garnacho
-----------Mount--------------Bruno
------Casemiro---------------Mainoo

--Back Four

Mount and Bruno can drifted wide to left and right if needed, while Rashford/Hojlund and Garnacho can go central.
I personally want to see this against Villa. It looks like the most stable formation between defense and attack, with the players we have.
Why would copying a tactical setup that another manager used specifically for a one-off game to counter a rival manager's setup, in a different game against a completely different setup indicate bravery on Ten Hag's part?

We actually have an inform centre forward for the first time in about two years, and now you want to drop him in the name of rushing a midfielder back from injury? My head hurts.

Rossa

They could have predicted it though

He’s spent most of his last 18 months at Chelsea injured. It was one of the reasons I was really confused by the signing at the time as I thought it was likely to happen again, which it did
His games in total last couple of seasons:
23/24: 12 (626 min)
22/23: 35 (2188 min)
21/22: 53 (3781 min)
20/21: 54 (4242 min)
19/20: 53 (3740 min)
18/19: 44 (3833 min)

In total, yes he was injured a fair bit last season, or didn't play at least, but not that badly, and before that he's been quite stable.

Juicy Juiced

Yeah, lets bench Rasmus who is finally finding his form for player who barely kicked a ball for us.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Let's face it the only position he could play is Bruno's position.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Correct. These formations trying to fit them both in as a box midfield or diamond are pointless for me. We aren't coached well enough/technical enough to play a diamond and overload the midfield effectively while still being dangerous going forward. I'd rather have the extra forward and play our standard 433, and in that case Mount only comes in for Bruno

LDUred

(Boardroom meeting at OT)

"There's a reasonably good, marketable, and high-profile English player on the market - Erik, are you in?"

And that's the story of how Mason Mount probably signed for us. We don't have a plan on how to use him, and the fact that he is injured doesn't change that.

Due to injury we're probably lumbered with him, but it wouldn't surprise me if he's moved on pretty quickly under INEOS. He's not a bad player at all, but he was signed because the club wanted to make a statement of intent, and ETH has no real use for him.

Atheist

Ten Hag moans about transfer funds not being available but who forced him to sign injury prone players like this guy for so much money?

Borninthe80ts

For those saying that the only position that Mount can play is 10 is incorrect. I’ve seen him play a multitude of positions during his England youth career and at Chelsea. If it’s meant that he shouldn’t I wouldn’t agree with that either. If he can do a better job then it’s should be to play for. As ever for a player and or team to gel it depends on time, characteristics and good fortune.

RuudTom83

Ten Hag moans about transfer funds not being available but who forced him to sign injury prone players like this guy for so much money?
Does he? how often have you heard him complain about money in a press conference?

He mentioned last week about wanting a second striker...if that's what you class as "moaning" then that would be once. Any other examples?

Matt851

Really? I think the way we have used McTominay (and Mainoo lately) is taylor made for him.
Mainoo is playing a different role. Can see him playing a similar role to mctominay but that leaves us wide open in midfield so wouldn't benefit the team

izec

(Boardroom meeting at OT)

"There's a reasonably good, marketable, and high-profile English player on the market - Erik, are you in?"

And that's the story of how Mason Mount probably signed for us. We don't have a plan on how to use him, and the fact that he is injured doesn't change that.

Due to injury we're probably lumbered with him, but it wouldn't surprise me if he's moved on pretty quickly under INEOS. He's not a bad player at all, but he was signed because the club wanted to make a statement of intent, and ETH has no real use for him.
He was his marquee signing. Eth is clueless. Amrabat wasnt forced upon him either, neither was Onana. The club backed him blindly, that is the issue.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Mainoo is playing a different role. Can see him playing a similar role to mctominay but that leaves us wide open in midfield so wouldn't benefit the team
Mainoo is not playing a different role when he is playing with Casemiro.

LDUred

Really? I think the way we have used McTominay (and Mainoo lately) is taylor made for him.
Mason Mount is always likely to drift further forward. In my opinion, he is a natural number 10 who can do a decent job as an 8 but one who leaves us vulnerable defensively in Ten Hag's system. Someone like Mainoo offers better cover and gives Bruno more freedom to play further forward. I am not saying Mount couldn't deputise there but it wouldn't be ideal to have a midfield of Casemiro-Mount-Bruno (assuming Mount comes in for Mainoo), especially as Casemiro lacks stamina these days.

Mount is just a naturally more attacking player than Mainoo and his strengths are more in pressing the opposition's back line, running for cutbacks, than competing in midfield or getting involved in the midfield build-up like Mainoo does.

That version of the United midfield would leave us more vulnerable defensively than when McTominay was playing because Mount's natural game is to push forward, just like Bruno. They would leave whoever plays at the base of that midfield isolated.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Mason Mount is always likely to drift further forward. In my opinion, he is a natural number 10 who can do a decent job as an 8 but one who leaves us vulnerable defensively in Ten Hag's system. Someone like Mainoo offers better cover and gives Bruno more freedom to play further forward. I am not saying Mount couldn't deputise there but it wouldn't be ideal to have a midfield of Casemiro-Mount-Bruno (assuming Mount comes in for Mainoo), especially as Casemiro lacks stamina these days.

Mount is just a naturally more attacking player than Mainoo and his strengths are more in pressing the opposition's back line, running for cutbacks, than competing in midfield or getting involved in the midfield build-up like Mainoo does.

That version of the United midfield would leave us more vulnerable defensively than when McTominay was playing because Mount's natural game is to push forward, just like Bruno. They would leave whoever plays at the base of that midfield isolated.
For the last couple of games we looked a bit like this:

Varane - Martinez - Shaw
Dalot - Case
Garnacho - Bruno - Mainoo - Rashford
Højlund

It was fluid, but Mainoo was often pressing higher than Bruno.

LDUred

He was his marquee signing. Eth is clueless. Amrabat wasnt forced upon him either, neither was Onana. The club backed him blindly, that is the issue.
Yeah, just reading up on it now, and it seems like ETH wanted Mount when he was at Ajax. Mount is good at pressing in the attacking third but positionally there's just no way he fits into that midfield in the Premier League. Any team with strong ball-carrying midfielders will just waltz straight through us.

mikeyt

Even if Mount was fit and playing at the top his game, I don't see him starting in our best 11. Utterly pointless signing.

lex talionis

Even if Mount was fit and playing at the top his game, I don't see him starting in our best 11. Utterly pointless signing.
Agreed. It's really hard to understand what ETH was thinking with signing of Mason Mount unless it was with one eye toward selling Bruno. A fit and rested Eriksen is more effective than Mount, and strange as it is to say this, a fit Mainoo looks a more complete footballer already than Mount.

And I like Mount but I don't see how Mount and Bruno work together.

Waynne

Exactly.

If Bruno gets too Hollywoody in a match I'd like Mount to come in and do a job. But he has to earn the minutes like everyone else.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
They could have predicted it though

He’s spent most of his last 18 months at Chelsea injured. It was one of the reasons I was really confused by the signing at the time as I thought it was likely to happen again, which it did
Why do people keep saying things like this? He was injured for his last three months at Chelsea. That's it.

Before that he barely missed a game. If anything, his fitness before his Pelvic injury in March 2023 looked how we want any signing to be. That one notable injury, but before that he'd only missed five league games in the four seasons at Chelsea.

Last edited:

lex talionis

At this point it's probably best for everyone is Mount doesn't rush back from his injury and targets summer training for his return. It's not like Mount would be the difference between us making or not making CL qualification.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
At this point it's probably best for everyone is Mount doesn't rush back from his injury and targets summer training for his return. It's not like Mount would be the difference between us making or not making CL qualification.
Agreed. Without knowing what it is, we could have a situation like with Rashford's back and just making whatever it is worse.

Leethal

Ladies and gentlemen, our current marquee signing, #7, Mason Mount.

Thank the lord we popped £60m over to Chelsea to secure his signature; and steal this superstar in front of the competition!

Red00012

Ladies and gentlemen, our current marquee signing, #7, Mason Mount.

Thank the lord we popped £60m over to Chelsea to secure his signature; and steal this superstar in front of the competition!
Thanks for that bump

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Does any interviewer ask ETH what's going on with Mount , like when he's coming back ?

Giggsyking

Yet another great performance. I loved his goal yesterday, brilliant technique. Our best signing for the summer.

Foolsgold21

Imagine if the £60m was spent on an actual midfielder, or a second actual striker.

You’ve got to just laugh at this stage.

Giggsyking

Imagine if the £60m was spent on an actual midfielder, or a second actual striker.

You’ve got to just laugh at this stage.
We laughed at the time of the signing, we knew what will happen. We said he is not good enough and injury prone on a world class player salary. He earns 250k per week for doing nothing.

Foolsgold21

We laughed at the time of the signing, we knew what will happen. We said he is not good enough and injury prone on a world class player salary. He earns 250k per week for doing nothing.
And we don’t even know which position he plays!

ZainCRse7en

Signing him aside, but whoever that was behind issuing him the iconic number 7 jersey deserves to be sacked.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Every time Ten Hag complains about lack of a fit left back or back up striker, he needs to be shown pictures of Mount and Antony wasting 150M.

Kostov

Shambolic decision to waste 60m on a player we didn't even need, could have had for free in a year time, and on top of that he is injured for the majority of the season.