2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

fps

His lack of involvement is quite worrying, especially as ten Hag said he wants him to play deeper. However, 17 passes in 84 minutes suggests this is a player who, as I mentioned before, isn't getting on the ball. To put this into perspective, Erisken, who came on in the 65th minute, made he same number of passes today.

At the moment, I'm just not sure what role ten Hag is asking him to play, but going forward, I think in order to get the best from Mount, we need to push him on as the highest midfielder, where he can use his intelligent runs to get on the end of things.
He seems the kinda guy where if you tell him he needs to make more passes, he will make more passes, without really considering the purpose of his passes or their effects. Eriksen a better option in CM even if his legs have really gone, because we’ll have the ball and control games better.

Walters_19_MuFc

He seems the kinda guy where if you tell him he needs to make more passes, he will make more passes, without really considering the purpose of his passes or their effects. Eriksen a better option in CM even if his legs have really gone, because we’ll have the ball and control games better.
Which is why when we were looking for a centre midfielder, most were saying to buy a playmaking type, i.e. De Jong, Kovacic, Tielemans, etc.

CM

Sabitzer is a better footballer than Mount but his fitness issues made this a no go
Don't really agree but to be honest I don't think either of them were the players this side needed.

Don't think Mount is the hill on which ETH....
I think he'll be very reluctant to drop him for a prolonged spell. Mount has come in as Ten Hag's marquee signing this summer and was painted very much as the missing piece. I don't think he'll suddenly abandon that after a couple of games, even if they were as bad as they were.

Stacks

I think the big issue is that all these 'clever' players who make intelligent runs and work in the space like Veron, Kagawa, Mata, Van de Beek etc have never really found their feet at this club.

We simply don't know how to use them and its in the DNA of this club. We should really realise that by now and stop buying such players, especially for big money.
Scholes, Rooney,

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Oh, those accurate reports linking us with every man and his dog.
You brought up Amrabat as a McTom replacement when we were clearly linked with him before there was even talk of McTom being available. You can’t choose to believe reports when it suits your argument and then discredit them when it doesn’t.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Do you think he would play those two as a pivot?

I know he went with Fred in the so called tougher games, and against Madrid during pre-season, he went Mainoo, but the aforementioned players are more all rounded players, who can go forward, too. I don't really get that when watching Amrabat.
Put it this way: I'd be much more surprised if ETH signed Amrabat just to be an alternative to Casemiro, rather than being someone who can also be used alongside him in certain horses-for-courses situations.

You're right that he isn't a particularly go-forward player, but on a basic level he does keep the ball better than the rest of our midfield options, which is its own valuable trait. For example, I don't think it's hard to imagine us regularly bringing Amrabat on for one of the attacking mids when we're winning and looking to close out games.

Of course, we need to actually sign him first.

dinostar77

No need to be confused. ten Hag doesn't want a midfielder to ''sit beside'' Casemiro and never has. The Amrabat links have merely come due to McTominay wanting out, hence why we won't sign him until we sell McTominay.

The issue is, whether Mount is the right profile of playing to play as the deeper 8. Is he the ideal player to stitch everything together in our midfielder? My initial thoughts were no, and I remain of that opinion. However, that doesn't mean he can't be a success. As said before, I'd like ten Hag to allow Bruno to be the roaming 8, with Mount pushed further forward.
Amrabat is dependent on fred (gone) and donny (going hopefully). Nothing to do with mctominay.

ETH has wanted a DLP from the start, hence trying to get frenkie. Cant get him but amrabat is a different alternative.

Bruno as no8 would be a unmitigated disaster. For a player who constantly gives the ball away, tries hollywood passes when they arent on, he isnt the answer. A no8 needs to be able to slow the game down, speed it up, know when to hold posession, know when to hold his position and help his fellow central mdifielder. Bruno has none of this. Hes a transitional no10.

Whether Mount can learn to play no8 as ETH wants, remains to be seen. At the moment he plays like a 10/7/11. Eriksen learnt how to do it, though he is a very intelligent player.

Walters_19_MuFc

You brought up Amrabat as a McTom replacement when we were clearly linked with him before there was even talk of McTom being available. You can’t choose to believe reports when it suits your argument and then discredit them when it doesn’t.
Amrabat is the only reputable report that has been reported mutliple times by reliable sources. The other ones on the hand....

The only reason I brought it up as a McTominay replacement was simply what I explained before. That's not my opinion, it's a fact that McTominay played in place of Casemiro as a 6. I believe Amrabat will do the same if we sign him.

Born2Lose

The lesson last year was in spite of the fact that Fred's passing is atrocious, his energy and aggressiveness was important. Mount's supposedly playing as part of the midfield but hasn't made a single tackle in two games. He only touched the ball 27 times yesterday, 30 against Wolves.

We've not just got one passenger in the team at the moment in Rashford, but also added one in Mount and it's killing us.

Cassidy

Amrabat is the only reputable report that has been reported mutliple times by reliable sources. The other ones on the hand....

The only reason I brought it up as a McTominay replacement was simply what I explained before. That's not my opinion, it's a fact that McTominay played in place of Casemiro as a 6. I believe Amrabat will do the same if we sign him.
The same reliable sources that have said many times that Amrabat transfer was waiting on Fred and VDB departure

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
He will score a couple against Sheffield Utd and all will be good.
Pretty sure a lot of his g/a in his best season came in the 2 ties against Norwich. Not seeing it with him or what he actually brings to the table. Chelsea must be laughing.

Pronewbie

Peep
Hmmmm.

Posts from a thread created September 18th, 2006:

And some more from another Carrick-related thread, created a few days later on September 23rd 2006:

Etc, etc.
Sad to see the mainstream media habit of selective, deceitful snapshots to suit a black or white narrative taking off in recent years.

Sentiment was more balanced after his first few games for us, certainly moreso than Mount's:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/michael-carrick.129419/

By November he'd proved most of his doubters wrong:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/michael-carrick.134308/

As I say every now and then, the jury is out on Mount, but it's not looking good. I do recall being positive about Carrick quite early on so that may skew my memory of things.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Thought he was good first half. Good player, but he just vanishes. Shiuld never have been our priority signing though.

fps

The lesson last year was in spite of the fact that Fred's passing is atrocious, his energy and aggressiveness was important. Mount's supposedly playing as part of the midfield but hasn't made a single tackle in two games. He only touched the ball 27 times yesterday, 30 against Wolves.

We've not just got one passenger in the team at the moment in Rashford, but also added one in Mount and it's killing us.
Fred was totally misused he’s meant to pinch the ball higher up the pitch with his pressing, where his wayward passes aren’t as damaging.

sammyhol

Ironically, it does sound like he'd suit ETH's new system, no?
1000% correct.

fred was far from perfect, especially giving the ball and free kicks away in deep areas…

but if ETH was always planning to play 4141, why in world didn’t he try it once last season when he had the archetypal high press 8 in his squad.

baffles the mind.

RedorDead21

He is not a midfielder. I’m shocked that it was so low, I knew he goes missing in games but 14 passes for a player in midfield position is horrible.
Zero tackles on your debut isn’t fab either. I mean do something when form isn’t there

spiriticon

Scholes, Rooney,
Scholes is a CM and Rooney is a CF. Playing in the space is just a tiny tiny tiny bit of what they can do. Giggs can also play in the space and he's a LW.

These players can run directly at people with pace and power if they need to do it. I don't see Mount doing the same tbh.

Lecland07

Garnacho, Antony, Fernandes are not passengers? They literally spent the entirety of the last two games passing the ball to the opposition.

E-mal

Decent player but not a starter for any serious team. He is not good enough to play in midfield and will ultimately get shafted to the RW

Cassidy

Garnacho, Antony, Fernandes are not passengers? They literally spent the entirety of the last two games passing the ball to the opposition.
All three players both nearly scored and created chances for others. I don’t even remember Mount making a key pass

marktan

Sad to see the mainstream media habit of selective, deceitful snapshots to suit a black or white narrative taking off in recent years.

Sentiment was more balanced after his first few games for us, certainly moreso than Mount's:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/michael-carrick.129419/

By November he'd proved most of his doubters wrong:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/michael-carrick.134308/

As I say every now and then, the jury is out on Mount, but it's not looking good. I do recall being positive about Carrick quite early on so that may skew my memory of things.
Fascinating to see how many still active posters posted in that Nov 2006 thread - 17 years ago!

Ekeke

Its not just Fred though. McTom and Eriksen also had more of an impact, even if they werent great either. Eriksen struggled defensively and McTom's regularity of getting on the ball, playing the passes with some tempo, or switching play etc was too low. But he still did it. And he still had more of an impact than Mount has had so far. Mount has been more like the couple of games Donny got a chance in midfield and on his poor days he would go missing and you wouldnt see him much. Partly because he's doing off the ball running and not being found by teammates, but partly because he just wasnt doing enough when he did have the chance to get on the ball.

And then you have the other damning part about how he's being used/performing

Mason Mount played 85 minutes. Casemiro had 5 shots. Mason Mount had 0 shots

If theres one thing you're going to need to see from Mason Mount in order for him to have a half decent game, its getting into a position to and having a few shot attempts, as well as a few final ball attempts. When the guy who is supposed to be your main DM has managed 5 shots and Mount has managed 0, obviously its all gone completely wrong. And yes I'm sure several of those are Casemiro getting on the end of a set piece, but still. Even if its 3 from open play to 0, Mount needs to be the one of the two of them doing that because he'll be terrible being the one holding, while Casemiro can do that while he gets into those positions

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I really feel for Mason Mount at the moment. Our fanbase is so spoiled and entitled sometimes.

The blokes been here two games. Isn't it at least fair to give him a season before we decide to completely write him off?

Some people care more about being right than actually supporting the club. "If I get in early and say he's a waste of money, I'll look clever on the Internet"

Give the lad a break. He's not the reason we haven't started well and he deserves time in any case
I agree that it’s a real shame people aren’t more supportive. I too found the news of our intent to sign him surprising as he wasn’t the type of midfielder I had in mind. But A) new players deserve some amount of patience and support before writing them off and B) the extreme views are always so odd - bang average / nothing player.

No issue with having major concerns over our direction especially the midfield but at least gives new signings a chance to prove themselves. Mount was really good in the first half on Saturday.

Danish Wizard

Relax, no reason to make him the scapegoat.
Everyone needs time to adjust. And in the first few matches the overall tactics and game has been horrible from the entire team.
I'm sure he will be a great player for United, once the team find the rhythm.

redIndianDevil

I really feel for Mason Mount at the moment. Our fanbase is so spoiled and entitled sometimes.

The blokes been here two games. Isn't it at least fair to give him a season before we decide to completely write him off?

Some people care more about being right than actually supporting the club. "If I get in early and say he's a waste of money, I'll look clever on the Internet"

Give the lad a break. He's not the reason we haven't started well and he deserves time in any case
Yeah let’s give crap manager 2 years to prove themselves and players one full season to prove themselves whilst it’s been more than a decade since we played any decent football. It’s mentality like this that’s holding us back.

Mason Mount has been in the premier league for a long time, he is not in a new country or new league to get accustomed to it all. He has a full preseason under his belt too. Of course the criticism is a bit over the top but look how badly we have started again despite getting a clear idea about what we lacked last year. No one is going to get the answer of why the feck we signed such a player. Of course people are going to get frustrated. 0 shots, 14 passes and 26 touches while playing in the middle is horrendous.

IRONTUSK

Perhaps we should have signed Szoboszlai instead...same money but feel like he would have been a much better fit for our midfield.

HotOne

In previous seasons I'd regularly hear from some Chelsea fans "we aren't really sure what he does, but the manager seems to like him". I'd never watched him enough at Chelsea to make a judgement and still only a couple of competitive games in to his United career so I won't write him off. But, that statement from Chelsea fans is exactly how I feel about him right now. Half the game, I notice him running around a lot, seemingly putting a lot of effort in but not doing anything very effective. The rest of the game I forget he's even on the pitch, he vanishes.

Leethal

A year? He's spent his career in the premier league. Why should he be afforded that luxury, just to find out he's shite?

tomaldinho1

Ironically, it does sound like he'd suit ETH's new system, no?
He was great under Ragnick and generally good under ETH who put him as a more advanced CM. Literally the amount of times this discussion popped up and posters had to explain where he played for Brasil and Shakhtar versus the stupidity of having him as a defensive player given his erratic touch confounds me. It is yet another case of United buying a player who looks good without ever thinking why he looks good in another team an just whacking them into the squad and wondering why they aren't replicating their previous form.

Lecland07

All three players both nearly scored and created chances for others. I don’t even remember Mount making a key pass
Nearly scored. Well, that's great then. I guess you mean the one that Fernandes headed a mile over the bar; not sure that is a positive.

Garnacho created nothing nor has he nearly scored.

Antony created nothing. He had one chance that he messed up. I think a winger should be getting more than just 1 shot off in two games.

Pronewbie

Peep
He was great under Rangnick and generally good under ETH who put him as a more advanced CM. Literally the amount of times this discussion popped up and posters had to explain where he played for Brasil and Shakhtar versus the stupidity of having him as a defensive player given his erratic touch confounds me. It is yet another case of United buying a player who looks good without ever thinking why he looks good in another team an just whacking them into the squad and wondering why they aren't replicating their previous form.
Agreed regarding his Rangnick and Brazil performance. Always thought he'd be a decent squad option especially if we're playing with 2 8s...

Cassidy

Nearly scored. Well, that's great then. I guess you mean the one that Fernandes headed a mile over the bar; not sure that is a positive.

Garnacho created nothing nor has he nearly scored.

Antony created nothing. He had one chance that he messed up. I think a winger should be getting more than just 1 shot off in two games.
Both Antony and Bruno should have scored and also created chances for Rashford.
Garnacho had a poor game I agree, but even he created dangerous scoring situations including the penalty decision which was a dangerous shot on goal.

Mount did absolutely none of the above.