4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
No but we needed to replace an aging Eriksen. Look at how his return last night improved us. Maddison is an excellent replacement, he can also beat players and more of a goal threat than Eriksen. Could also at times allow us to drop Bruno and play Maddison ahead of a defensive two.
I championed Maddison over Mount whilst being wary of the former ever decreasing durability.
Excellent player that can make things happen and relish the responsibility too.
His free kicks and corners are also top notch, maybe a smidge below JWP-Trippier.
The downside being he's seemingly more and more injury-prone.
If he were to be rotated among Bruno-Eriksen, I think the squad will be better off and both him and Eriksen have less chance of picking up injury.
Bruno could have a reprieve when he's off the boil.

Gordon Godot

I championed Maddison over Mount whilst being wary of the former ever decreasing durability.
Excellent player that can make things happen and relish the responsibility too.
His free kicks and corners are also top notch, maybe a smidge below JWP-Trippier.
The downside being he's seemingly more and more injury-prone.
If he were to be rotated among Bruno-Eriksen, I think the squad will be better off and both him and Eriksen have less chance of picking up injury.
Bruno could have a reprieve when he's off the boil.
It still astonishes me we didnt even seem interested. maddison impressed for Spurs more than I expected, I think he will be great for them. Injuries a concern but as you say we could have rotated him and Eriksen. Seems though our trophy midfield signing is even more injury prone

aeh1991

Stop the Maddison nonsense. Especially when you claim we needed an Eriksen replacement, Maddison is not that. He and Spurs are a great match but we would have struggled to fit him in. We have found our no 8. in Mainoo. We just need Casemiro to come back and to sign another DM next summer. Mount was a complete waste of money.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
His return will seem like a new transfer for us, can see him quickly wiping the slate clean with his positive & productive performances. hello

Gordon Godot

Stop the Maddison nonsense. Especially when you claim we needed an Eriksen replacement, Maddison is not that. He and Spurs are a great match but we would have struggled to fit him in. We have found our no 8. in Mainoo. We just need Casemiro to come back and to sign another DM next summer. Mount was a complete waste of money.
Stop what nonsense, you actually watch him play for Spurs? He's a slightly different player than Eriksen but can can act as a deeper play maker or play a more attacking role. He's very mobile, can tackle and press resistant. You think we struggle to fit him in when we start McT every match and overplay Bruno. Garbage post.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The short term and future midfield for us is Mainoo next to a couple. Bruno is our best player as well and might not drop his levels for another 3 years with his fitness. So it depends on what people think is needed to balance that. For me, Casemiro is the perfect partner there, and long term we'd want to replace him with a younger and quicker ball winner who can provide some quality on the ball as well. Mount for me just doesn't mesh with Bruno or Mainoo beyond being a squad player for some of those easier games or an impact sub. I don't want to write him off as I think he's a good player, but he just doesn't fit our needs at all. And that's ignoring his fitness record which is horrible.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Nothing irks me more when someone comes and say he has been a flop after 8 fecking games. I was here when Vidic & Evra were labeled as a flop after the first 2 months.

dutchred

The short term and future midfield for us is Mainoo next to a couple. Bruno is our best player as well and might not drop his levels for another 3 years with his fitness. So it depends on what people think is needed to balance that. For me, Casemiro is the perfect partner there, and long term we'd want to replace him with a younger and quicker ball winner who can provide some quality on the ball as well. Mount for me just doesn't mesh with Bruno or Mainoo beyond being a squad player for some of those easier games or an impact sub. I don't want to write him off as I think he's a good player, but he just doesn't fit our needs at all. And that's ignoring his fitness record which is horrible.
Gore

aeh1991

Stop what nonsense, you actually watch him play for Spurs? He's a slightly different player than Eriksen but can can act as a deeper play maker or play a more attacking role. He's very mobile, can tackle and press resistant. You think we struggle to fit him in when we start McT every match and overplay Bruno. Garbage post.
I saw him play for Leicester and his strengths are best when used as the attacking pivot, which in our system wouldn't work unless we sell Bruno or keep one of them on the bench. It hasn't worked with Mount and I regard Maddison as an even more advanced player. He's a quality player and course we could use him much better as a rotational player than McT, but that doesn't change the fact he would be misused in a deeper role. There are plenty of other players who would have made more sense than him.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Sure it's fair. He shouldn't be getting concessions because he's not playing from injury. He's paid to play. If he lacks resilience and cannot play, what use is he for us? Outside of that, when he hasn't been injured, he's largely been shite anyway. For Chelsea, England, and now us. He's not been performing for close to two years or so.
Casemiro, Martinez and all the other players who are or have been injured are in this category as well?

Bwuk

He needs to hit the ground running as I’m certain we’ll sign a CM in the summer.

Bruno won’t be dropped. Mainoo is showing his ability. The third spot is open, as Eriksen & Casemiro will likely leave in the summer.

The Original

Nothing irks me more when someone comes and say he has been a flop after 8 fecking games. I was here when Vidic & Evra were labeled as a flop after the first 2 months.
Both of those were from foreign leagues. Mount is making a sideways move and is playing the same way as he was at his previous club. He's obviously not what's required and never was, much like every one of this summer's signings and half of the last.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
He needs to hit the ground running as I’m certain we’ll sign a CM in the summer.

Bruno won’t be dropped. Mainoo is showing his ability. The third spot is open, as Eriksen & Casemiro will likely leave in the summer.
Bruno + Mount hasn't worked even with Casemiro, who is a world-class DMF. There is no reason to think it will be any different with Mainoo.

We cannot have two midfielders that don't help with defense, in EPL. We will keep being overrun in midfield and keep losing games

Mount signing was a tactical mistake, unless Erik wants him to compete with Bruno for #10, which we know Erik doesn't want

sherrinford

Bruno + Mount hasn't worked even with Casemiro, who is a world-class DMF. There is no reason to think it will be any different with Mainoo.

We cannot have two midfielders that don't help with defense, in EPL. We will keep being overrun in midfield and keep losing games

Mount signing was a tactical mistake, unless Erik wants him to compete with Bruno for #10, which we know Erik doesn't want
The Casemiro that those two played ahead of was nowhere near a world class DM. The reason to think it could be different with Mainoo is that he is not the liability that Casemiro was.

Both Fernandes and Mount work extremely hard defensively. I also don't understand why folk keep saying that lining up with two no.10s categorically cannot work in the Premier League when the dominant team in the league have used that setup basically since becoming the machine that they are, as did their closest challengers last season?

United888

Casemiro and Mainoo are two different players, of course it would make some difference. Casemiro isn’t press resistant and if our defenders or keeper pass the ball to him when he plays as no 6 then he will be exposed by opposition high press which means we will struggle to progress the ball from the back. On contrary, Mainoo is press resistant and will have better chance than Casemiro to beat the press for our build up play when he receives the pass from the keeper and defender.

Bruno and Mount are regarded as players who like to press and willing to help defense, which help our team defensively. KDB - Silva - Fernandinho dominated the EPL midfield through technical ability and pressing. Defensively, those three are at least equal to Bruno + Mount + Mainoo. I don’t see any issue defensively with those three as our midfield. On possession is the concern. We have yet to see whether Mount can be technically anywhere near Silva to allow us dominate possession.

There is bit of glimpse in the pre season vs arsenal that Bruno + Mount + Mainoo could work.

Juicy Juiced

The Casemiro that those two played ahead of was nowhere near a world class DM. The reason to think it could be different with Mainoo is that he is not the liability that Casemiro was.

Both Fernandes and Mount work extremely hard defensively. I also don't understand why folk keep saying that lining up with two no.10s categorically cannot work in the Premier League when the dominant team in the league have used that setup basically since becoming the machine that they are, as did their closest challengers last season?
That MF would be suicide.
Eric should go with Bruno, Mainoo and Case. Case was our best MF last year and we are strugling without him.
He is good areial threat, have a good shoot, can carry the ball, good at defensive side. At what is Mount good? Just don't say tiddy on the ball.

Grande

I think going back to history regarding a Casemiro - Mount - Bruno option is a bit of a joke, seeing as they’ve not really had a chance to develop that option, and in the first few try-outs, one was new to the team and another was in the worst form of his life so far.

NewGlory

If by "dominant team" you mean City, they

1. have a very unique player in Rodri
2. play more with two #8s or box-to-box midfielders than "two #10s" and they help Rodri a lot, which neither Bruno nor Mount do for our DMFs
3. They are extremely well-drilled team who counter-press very well, which we are completely unable to do and counter-pressing allows them to not get caught as much

Even they struggle this year, but also comparing us to City is futile. We are not City and we have no chance playing their style, currently

NewGlory

I think going back to history regarding a Casemiro - Mount - Bruno option is a bit of a joke, seeing as they’ve not really had a chance to develop that option, and in the first few try-outs, one was new to the team and another was in the worst form of his life so far.
Well... you have a point that Mount bas been injured for far too long and maybe he never had a chance to fit into the system / we haven't seen enough of him

I have my doubts that it will ever work, especially with Bruno, but your point is sensible for sure. Mount should have been signed early June, using pre-season for drilling. It is kinda impossible to figure these things out in the middle of a season, like now

Leethal

Casemiro, Martinez and all the other players who are or have been injured are in this category as well?
Martinez is an isolated bone injury. It's entirely different. But Casemiro, yes. Despite everything that he's achieved in his career, and the fact he joined us actually in form (as opposed to Mount, who was dog shit for the past 18 months), - if Casemiro cannot play due to constant muscular injuries, what use is he to us? Move him on also.

bond19821982

Tell that to Arteta who is doing it with Havertz and Odegaard or Pep who has been doing it for years.

Genuine question- how many games has Mount + Casemiro + Bruno + Martinez + Shaw played together?

Or how many games has Mount + Casemiro + Bruno played together ?

Leethal

Tell that to Arteta who is doing it with Havertz and Odegaard or Pep who has been doing it for years.

Genuine question- how many games has Mount + Casemiro + Bruno + Martinez + Shaw played together?

Or how many games has Mount + Casemiro + Bruno played together ?
Obviously not many. Mount has been fecking injured since he more or less got here, and when he hasn't been, he's been bang out of form and a 60m quid bench option.

RedOrange

Yes, this constant insistence that ETH is playing with two number 10s, as if they're both standing around in the centre circle instead of defending out of possession, is incredibly tiresome.

Fans with functioning brains who actually watch the matches will note that they press high without the ball and track back like midfielders when the press fails.

Hilarious that so many United fans pretend to want attacking football while simultaneously demanding that the manager play 2 defensive midfielders and only commit 2 or 3 players in attack.

bond19821982

Obviously not many. Mount has been fecking injured since he more or less got here, and when he hasn't been, he's been bang out of form and a 60m quid bench option.
You didn't answer my question. My question was straight forward. How many games?

Leethal

You didn't answer my question. My question was straight forward. How many games?
I did answer your question. Do I need to go into actual specifics? Is reading honestly difficult for you?

I said: "Obviously not many".

I won't elaborate further to your patronising demeanor.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
The likes of Silva, Bernardo and Gündogan were great at retaining possession under pressure, played a key role in methodical build-ups and also posed a significant ball-carrying threat (particularly the former duo). At Barcelona, Guardiola had some of the most press-resistant, profound (in terms of their interpretation of the game), hard-working and quick-thinking midfielders of all time in Iniesta, Xavi and Busquets...tailor-made for juego de posición.

Ødegaard is also good at retaining possession under pressure as well as a noteworthy ball carrier. Arsenal's midfield would suffer without his distinguishing qualities, and even a surface-level statistical comparison with Bruno reflects that (and is corroborated by a comparitive eye test):

Bruno, Maguire, Sancho and so forth — these expensilvely-acquired players are not suited to a cohesive high-press and high-possession approach with high-lines and twin No. 10s in midfield (and neither was someone like Pogba). The first one is not particularly press resistant or a progressive carrier of the ball and wastes too much mental and physical energy on the pitch (which renders us structurally vulnerable in transitions), the second one is not mobile enough to cover large half-spaces and needs a lot of time on the ball (when he is closed down too quickly, his decision-making starts to waver), the third one has the technical skill set for it but does not work hard enough off the ball for a style that calls for a Son, Ribéry, Mané or Pedro, and so on and so forth.

If you want to play high-press and high-possession football with high-lines and twin No. 10s in midfield (and ensure structural solidity against transitions), you should purposefully and systematically recruit players whose skill sets match the requirements (from front to back). Manchester United has not done that at First Team level (although the development and recruitment for our Youth Teams is quite promising...Mainoo is a product of that, and Amass, Lacey, Fletcher, Fitzgerald might follow in his footsteps), and most of our outfield players (including our talismanic No. 10) are suited to reactive, counter-attacking football with low blocks (which is why we tend to thrive in chaotic affairs where we are periodically afforded time and space on the ball and can produce moments of individual brilliance on quickly-executed, vertical passages of play).

Borys

Statistics Wizard

Because
1) buildup game is not a strength for either Mount and especially Bruno
2) keeping possession is Bruno weakness
3) Bruno defensively is all about running around, even if he has an amazing workrate, he's very easy to dribble past.

Mount to me seems much more suited to all-round #8 role, but Bruno is pure #10 and we have seen evidence of this multiple times. The managers idea to move Bruno deeper / give him more defensive and buildup duties just to accommodate Mount / McTominay is simply ridiculous, and the main reason I'm in ETH out camp. As long as Bruno is key player in this team, we need to have two midfielders as a Base for Bruno to play high risk/reward football.

Mount isn't a creative force like Bruno, but he has more all round attributes that make him a good candidate for #8 imo. Not ideal, and I still think getting Mount didn't solve any issues for us, but I definitely wouldn't give up on him yet.

The likes of Silva, Bernardo and Gündogan were great at retaining possession under pressure, played a key role in methodical build-ups and also posed a significant ball-carrying threat (particularly the former duo). At Barcelona, Guardiola had some of the most press-resistant, profound (in terms of their interpretation of the game), hard-working and quick-thinking midfielders of all time in Iniesta, Xavi and Busquets...tailor-made for juego de posición.

Ødegaard is also good at retaining possession under pressure as well as a noteworthy ball carrier. Arsenal's midfield would suffer without his distinguishing qualities, and even a surface-level statistical comparison with Bruno reflects that (and is corroborated by a comparitive eye test):

Bruno, Maguire, Sancho and so forth — these expensilvely-acquired players are not suited to a cohesive high-press and high-possession approach with high-lines and twin No. 10s in midfield (and neither was someone like Pogba). The first one is not particularly press resistant or a progressive carrier of the ball and wastes too much mental and physical energy on the pitch (which renders us structurally vulnerable in transitions), the second one is not mobile enough to cover large half-spaces and needs a lot of time on the ball (when he is closed down too quickly, his decision-making starts to waver), the third one has the technical skill set for it but does not work hard enough off the ball for a style that calls for a Son, Ribéry, Mané or Pedro, and so on and so forth.

If you want to play high-press and high-possession football with high-lines and twin No. 10s in midfield (and ensure structural solidity against transitions), you should purposefully and systematically recruit players whose skill sets match the requirements (from front to back). Manchester United has not done that at First Team level (although the development and recruitment for our Youth Teams is quite promising...Mainoo is a product of that, and Amass, Lacey, Fletcher, Fitzgerald might follow in his footsteps), and most of our outfield players (including our talismanic No. 10) are suited to reactive, counter-attacking football with low blocks (which is why we tend to thrive in chaotic affairs where we are periodically afforded time and space on the ball and can produce moments of individual brilliance on quickly-executed, vertical passages of play).
Exactly this. Recruitment is key here, and you need basically superb players in every position, not only technically proficient, but also hard workers. It's interesting that Mount in theory falls into both categories but this isn't enough to play this formation.

IMO the (fully fit) backline + Mainoo can easily play that kind of football, it's the attacking players that are the problem.

IrishRedDevil

Looking forward to seeing him in a properly functioning team.

He isn’t really a game changer, but add him into a good team, and I think he makes everyone around him better (nits the play).

AneRu

Casemiro and Mainoo are two different players, of course it would make some difference. Casemiro isn’t press resistant and if our defenders or keeper pass the ball to him when he plays as no 6 then he will be exposed by opposition high press which means we will struggle to progress the ball from the back. On contrary, Mainoo is press resistant and will have better chance than Casemiro to beat the press for our build up play when he receives the pass from the keeper and defender.

Bruno and Mount are regarded as players who like to press and willing to help defense, which help our team defensively. KDB - Silva - Fernandinho dominated the EPL midfield through technical ability and pressing. Defensively, those three are at least equal to Bruno + Mount + Mainoo. I don’t see any issue defensively with those three as our midfield. On possession is the concern. We have yet to see whether Mount can be technically anywhere near Silva to allow us dominate possession.

There is bit of glimpse in the pre season vs arsenal that Bruno + Mount + Mainoo could work.
All the historical evidence at hand suggests he isn't so there goes one critical trait required for this system at this level. Both he and Bruno are nowhere near the standard reached by Silva and KDB and nor do they possess the necessary playmaking and game running ability needed to maintain possession and avoid dangerous transitions against us.

The reason Casemiro struggled earlier on was partly due to his own form and limitations but mostly because of wayward passing ahead of him meaning that he was constantly on the back foot making a recovery run trying to defend large spaces. We also didn't follow up with pushing our defense high to compress space so there was a large space for him to cover between midfield and defense.

It was ill thoughtout and we didn't do the necessary research on the players needed and a proper follow through with regard to signings.

bond19821982

So this whole thing of 2 no 10s and one DM won't work in PL is a lazy argument ? It will work provided the right tactics and players are deployed?

Am I getting this right ?

bond19821982

I did answer your question. Do I need to go into actual specifics? Is reading honestly difficult for you?

I said: "Obviously not many".

I won't elaborate further to your patronising demeanor.
Thats not enough - need the numbers. Not trying to be a WUM, I really would like to know how many games are you willing to give before labeling them as a flop.

You signed someone with specific tactics in your mind. Your defense that's the first phase of build up has been injured since start of the season and then the player itself is injured. Suddenly we have some fans calling them as flop.

Embarrassing stuff.

Scottynaldinho

The negativity around the guy is toxic. He hasn't played enough to justify this.

Once he returns from the injury, you'll see how important he will be to our football. Will be our MVP in no time.