View full 2023-24 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He wasn't an exciting signing because he has already played in the league and they've seen him for England and Chelsea, so they want to be right on the transfer from the beginning to feel like actual scouts. That's why they hope he plays like shit each game, and jerk each other off in celebration when he doesn't score or assist. They'd rather sign Molombu N'drogbo from Sochaux in Ligue 2 and suggest he would transform the way we play, because he is unknown. It is what it is. Fans are fecking stupid.
:lol: this is the Caf in a nutshell.

And when we buy the unknown ligue 2 player and they can't make the step up, the same ones clamouring for his signature will be saying 'why didn't the club buy Mount, a proven premier League player?'!!

Rojofiam

I think on paper Mount ticked every box for both the manager and the board.
English
Experienced (International, Premier League, CL)
Good Looking/Marketable
Manager admired him
Last year on his contract
Good age

But ever since he arrived it's been a total fail! Hopefully at some stage he can start to revive his career a little on the pitch.
If these five are indeed our boxes to tick for the recruitment team, we are well and truly fecked - but it sounds about right. Three of them have nothing to do with football, one is very subjective and being experienced can be said about a thousand of footballers.
Can you actually imagine?! :lol: "Ok, time to discuss our key targets for the summer. Any decent looking English lads in the last year of their contracts......? Class....? Anyone......? " "Well no, but listen to this, I know a left footed player heh - wait for it - from Brazil!! - they want 40, I think if we offer 80 we'll get him"....."Erik, this is why you're here..! Pass me the phone Janice. "

Are these kinds of posts serious? I've always wondered

Pirlo'sBeard

He's made 4 starts in the league. I'll give him more time as he's coming into a dysfunctional team.

UpWithRivers

He also took the number 7 shirt. If that's not screaming judge me on peak standards then I don't know what is.

Oranges038

Why are people criticising him when he's not playing? :lol: Some absolute weirdos on this forum
Because when players don't play because of injury. They either get better and better the more they are out or they are just shit. There is no in between.

zaafi

That's an interesting argument. So the opinions of people that have seen him play for England and Chelsea for a number of years are discounting him not on how he has performed or on his output for both of those teams, but on the fact that he isn't a sexy foreign signing? Isn't it possible that some people didn't particularly rate him before we were even linked to him, and his struggles to fit in since joining has compounded their skepticism? As the ancient proverb goes, it ain't that deep.
It is possible, and I definitely think there are a lot that didn't rate him. You also have a few selected people on here who absolutely loathe the guy for no reason. I'm sure it doesn't help him that he's an English youth product from Chelsea who doesn't have a particular world class quality, but rather overall decent in everything he does.

Ask yourself this question; would people on here be more excited about signing Jarrod Bowen for our right wing or a young Spanish technician from Villarreal?

Most of us are aware that Jarrod Bowen would very likely be the better signing, despite not being a very exciting signing. Naturally, there are a lot of people that prefer the unknown player, even if will end up as the worse transfer. Similarly, in Mount's case, there are a lot of people who preferred Caicedo instead, who cost more than twice as much, and look at him for Chelsea. As average as it gets.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
All things considered there is a player in Mount and he's had a very stop start beginning to his united career in a team in complete turmoil on and off the pitch.

He's a player I would sincerely like to see it work for tbh.

Questions will remain about whether he was the player we needed or where he fits in exactly and were there more pressing issues elsewhere that needed attention.

I am not in for writing him off at this stage...though of course it's easy to see why people are given our recent transfers.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I have to say I was completely baffled at his signing. Not a good or bad signing, just one I couldn't see the point given we had a limited budget. More so when he didn't even have the hallpass of "ETH already managed him so must know him well, how he will respond, fit, etc".

If you ask me, he just confirms we can no longer sign who we want but instead have to go fishing for players ready and willing to join us.

I always felt we would never get Haaland, or Kane, players SAF would have nabbed ages ago. But we probably would also struggle to get Macallister here rather than Liverpool, or Rice over Arsenal, etc.

So we get Mason Mount, get used to it. We are no longer Disneyland but Alton Towers heading to Stanley Park.

Lee565

Realistically how much could we get for him if we move him on in the summer, he isn't a bad player but his injuries over the past few years is concerning and could end up with another crock in the books long term

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I have to say I was completely baffled at his signing. Not a good or bad signing, just one I couldn't see the point given we had a limited budget. More so when he didn't even have the hallpass of "ETH already managed him so must know him well, how he will respond, fit, etc".

If you ask me, he just confirms we can no longer sign who we want but instead have to go fishing for players ready and willing to join us.

I always felt we would never get Haaland, or Kane, players SAF would have nabbed ages ago. But we probably would also struggle to get Macallister here rather than Liverpool, or Rice over Arsenal, etc.

So we get Mason Mount, get used to it. We are no longer Disneyland but Alton Towers heading to Stanley Park.
The funny thing is, Mount was wanted by both Arsenal and Liverpool (honestly God knows why these 3 clubs were so interested). Liverpool ended up with Mac Allister because Mount ended up here.

Juicy Juiced

It is possible, and I definitely think there are a lot that didn't rate him. You also have a few selected people on here who absolutely loathe the guy for no reason. I'm sure it doesn't help him that he's an English youth product from Chelsea who doesn't have a particular world class quality, but rather overall decent in everything he does.

Ask yourself this question; would people on here be more excited about signing Jarrod Bowen for our right wing or a young Spanish technician from Villarreal?

Most of us are aware that Jarrod Bowen would very likely be the better signing, despite not being a very exciting signing. Naturally, there are a lot of people that prefer the unknown player, even if will end up as the worse transfer. Similarly, in Mount's case, there are a lot of people who preferred Caicedo instead, who cost more than twice as much, and look at him for Chelsea. As average as it gets.
What a load of bollocks.

luke511

That’s not really similar though. Both players from the same league, Caicedo being the player in hot form, far from being an unknown, so he would resemble Bowen more in that scenario. Bowen would be a very exciting signing, as long as Sancho and Antony were sold to fund it so other positions can still be improved.

luke511

A lot of people aren’t frustrated at Mount the player, but more the decision to sign him. So far It’s been a colossal waste of money that has contributed to us being short in the no.8 position, where we have McTominay getting more minutes than almost everyone, contributing to our season going down the shitter. Terrible decision making all round, including getting rid of Fred for peanuts.

dutchred

I would like to see a midfield of
Casemiro Mainoo
Mount

Bruno has too many errors in him. For every pass out of 10, 1 may lead to a goal but 9 nine lead to dangerous counters

Last edited:

ti vu

The funny thing is, Mount was wanted by both Arsenal and Liverpool (honestly God knows why these 3 clubs were so interested). Liverpool ended up with Mac Allister because Mount ended up here.
Mac Allister signing was way earlier. Liverpool had homegrown quota issue on top of refreshing their midfield. They are two players short of meeting 8 homegrown players quote to have a full 25 full registered squad. They went around the issue with Grabenberch signing who was considered U21 group. It's nice and all that they're interested in Mount, but it's clear that they didn't play around to get Szoboszlai as soon as Mount signing was not materialized.

Arsenal signed Kai Harvetz before we announced Mount signing. They pretty much ended Mount pursuit after that. It looks like they would only pick either of those two. Both Arsenal and Liverpool seem to see Mount as more advanced midfielder than the conducting no 8. Only us seem to identify a player who had not experienced for the role we need to him to fill.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
Sustained bad form interrupted by injury.
Less things said about him, the better.

Champ

If there was a like button, I'd press it for this.
Spot on, some people made up their minds on Mount before he even kicked a ball, and unfortunately they won't be swayed, its almost like certain sections are actively willing him to do poor so they can point out how correct they were.

He's a good player and I am sure he will show his worth given a bit of time and fitness

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I would like to see a midfield of
Casemiro Mainoo
Mount

Bruno has too many errors in him. For every pass out of 10, 1 may lead to a goal but 9 nine lead to dangerous counters
Couldn't agree more. There's a huge part of me that wants to see us without Bruno for a while because despite all his incredible chance-creation you simply cannot control football matches with him. Unfortuantely, the one match appears to be when we get 5% of the ball and beaten 6-0 at Anfield.

Mount is a good footballer, these injuries are far more worrying to me than his ability. Everyone believed last season was a one-off for injuries as before that he was always available. But two long muscle lay-offs in the first 5 months is not good.

Thiagoal

Couldn't agree more. There's a huge part of me that wants to see us without Bruno for a while because despite all his incredible chance-creation you simply cannot control football matches with him. Unfortuantely, the one match appears to be when we get 5% of the ball and beaten 6-0 at Anfield.

Mount is a good footballer, these injuries are far more worrying to me than his ability. Everyone believed last season was a one-off for injuries as before that he was always available. But two long muscle lay-offs in the first 5 months is not good.
I think our current personnel is screaming out to play 4-2-2-2. Having a single pivot causes is to be way too open. I’d like to see a team like the one below given a shot (when available)

Onana
AWB Varane Licha Shaw
Mainoo. Casemiro
Bruno. Mount
Rashford. Hojland

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I think our current personnel is screaming out to play 4-2-2-2. Having a single pivot causes is to be way too open. I’d like to see a team like the one below given a shot (when available)

Onana
AWB Varane Licha Shaw
Mainoo. Casemiro
Bruno. Mount
Rashford. Hojland
Agreed, especially given the 'productivity' of our wingers this season. I'd love to see Hojland and Rashford pulling out into channels pulling away CBs too, as both are rapid.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
If there was a like button, I'd press it for this.
Spot on, some people made up their minds on Mount before he even kicked a ball, and unfortunately they won't be swayed, its almost like certain sections are actively willing him to do poor so they can point out how correct they were.

He's a good player and I am sure he will show his worth given a bit of time and fitness
There's nothing wrong in drawing conclusion once you observe enough data points.
Some posters might think the have seen what they needed to see.
I highly doubt that they are actively willing Mount to do poorly.
When you're correct, you're correct.

I feel injury argument is a little bit of cop out.
The ability to stay fit is also an asset for a player and the club paying his transfer/salary.
Santi Cazorla, brilliant player bordering world-class but injury has not been kind to him.
Or recently Maddison who I thought would be better recruit bar his injury worry.
Hardly anyone was surprised when he got injured (again)

Rojofiam

In what world is MacAllister a better, bigger or more ambitious signing than Mount?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
In what world is MacAllister a better, bigger or more ambitious signing than Mount?
I guess the point is MacAllister actually has some record of playing as a box to box midfielder, whereas Mount, just like Pogba, Bruno, Van de Beek and Eriksen before him, is usually the most attacking of a midfield three.

The Mount signing makes no sense, if you think that what we needed was more pace, power and precision in midfield. Mount does his best work in the final third, like most of our midfielders. Spending £60m on him when we needed to rebalance our midfield was odd.

Contrast it with Liverpool, currently top of the table having got rid of 'Hendo', 'Ox', Milner and Fabinho, and investing in actual centre midfielders to replace them. Our recruitment shows no real evidence of a considered plan. We just buy good players and task the coach with figuring out how to make it work.

Mount's a good player but he was not the type of player we needed. We needed a better Feed, or a player who can play deep but doesn't get left behind by the physicality of the league like Eriksen. Instead we just bought another #10.

zaafi

That’s not really similar though. Both players from the same league, Caicedo being the player in hot form, far from being an unknown, so he would resemble Bowen more in that scenario. Bowen would be a very exciting signing, as long as Sancho and Antony were sold to fund it so other positions can still be improved.
It may not have been the best example, but what I was trying to say is that Bowen had proven far more than Caicedo, because he has been delivering the goods in PL for several seasons, whereas Caicedo only had one season of PL behind them and only been playing in Ecuador before he went to Brighton, so he was still quite unknown, even if he was playing very good. He had also played in a particular system (until De Zerbi took over) that makes literally every Brighton player look great, but it's obvious that all of these players wouldn't be great for us or other teams. United would probably make Mitoma look like Antony.

Maybe a better example to use would be Nicolas Pepe from Lille before he went to Arsenal. Pacy, dribbling right winger from Ligue 1 and Ivory Coast national team that scores and assists. My heart would tell me to go for him over Jarrod Bowen, simply because I've watched Bowen a lot, I'm aware of his weaknesses and strengths much more than Pepe's, so there would be a small hope that Pepe could take us to the next level, even though in my head, I know it is very difficult for a foreigner to come in and immediately look as good as Bowen is. People are creaming themselves over Diaby and Bailey, but neither of them are as good as Bowen.

Champ

There's nothing wrong in drawing conclusion once you observe enough data points.
Some posters might think the have seen what they needed to see.
I highly doubt that they are actively willing Mount to do poorly.
When you're correct, you're correct.

I feel injury argument is a little bit of cop out.
The ability to stay fit is also an asset for a player and the club paying his transfer/salary.
Santi Cazorla, brilliant player bordering world-class but injury has not been kind to him.
Or recently Maddison who I thought would be better recruit bar his injury worry.
Hardly anyone was surprised when he got injured (again)
The guys coming off the back of a mid to long term injury, there's a high chance he would pick up another few niggling injuries after, also it's obvious something in Uniteds conditioning isn't right hence the amount of injuries in the squad, so to level that at Mount is a tad harsh.

So far no one's 'correct' about Mount, he has neither been poor nor shown what he is capable of yet,

Fahad Jawaid

I think the best analogy I could give for his signing would be, when a married man is asked by his wife should I get this, and you tell her that how this is useless and she would not be using this after a week and how this is a waste of money, but she convinces you that we don't have this at home and it will make our home look better etc.

Eventually after a week she realized that the older one was better and this was a waste of money, but now you are left with it and she does not even use it. However, the feeling of being proven right (the best feeling) is only dampen by the thought that it cost a lot and now its sitting at home getting rotten.

redshaw

I think the best analogy I could give for his signing would be, when a married man is asked by his wife should I get this, and you tell her that how this is useless and she would not be using this after a week and how this is a waste of money, but she convinces you that we don't have this at home and it will make our home look better etc.

Eventually after a week she realized that the older one was better and this was a waste of money, but now you are left with it and she does not even use it. However, the feeling of being proven right (the best feeling) is only dampen by the thought that it cost a lot and now its sitting at home getting rotten.

Cloud7

City "wanted" Maguire, Fred and Sanchez. Clubs wanting a player is no indication of quality or that they should be a good signing.

Oranges038

A better analogy, would be one where the woman lets her man go and gets a new man in. The previous guy was a busy but erratic lover, somethings he'd get ot right but most of the time he missed the target or hit the crossbar, sometimes he'd just disappear or fall out of the bed for no reason, or he'd get it half right and then go missing, but he was all smiles and she liked that.

The new guy is nice looking, but he's a bit limp, he gets a semi on the first night, then goes into limp mode again. Then comes back with another semi and tries to thumb it in, but it doesn't work, so he flops again. He was able to get it up before with another woman, but now she's not so sure because he's not been able to perform. So after a few months of flopping and trying to thumb in softies without any real action she's thinking about binning him without ever seeing what he really was capable of.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
A better analogy, would be one where the woman lets her man go and gets a new man in. The previous guy was a busy but erratic lover, somethings he'd get ot right but most of the time he missed the target or hit the crossbar, sometimes he'd just disappear or fall out of the bed for no reason, or he'd get it half right and then go missing, but he was all smiles and she liked that.

The new guy is nice looking, but he's a bit limp, he gets a semi on the first night, then goes into limp mode again. Then comes back with another semi and tries to thumb it in, but it doesn't work, so he flops again. He was able to get it up before with another woman, but now she's not so sure because he's not been able to perform. So after a few months of flopping and trying to thumb in softies without any real action she's thinking about binning him without ever seeing what he really was capable of.
We need to get back to winning titles, I’m worried some of our fans are being seriously damaged by this decline

Oranges038

We need to get back to winning titles, I’m worried some of our fans are being seriously damaged by this decline
I couldn't agree more.

I'm not though, damaged that is, despite what my analogy might infer. I understand this malaise happens all big clubs from time to time. When this happens, there has to be a hard resest and change of direction. The club has never fully recovered from the SAF era ending. It's just been a spiralling mess of bad decisions all over the place, which all culminates with what we see on the pitch. I think with football, what you see on the pitch is a great barometer for what the rest of the club is like. United are a disjointed mess on the pitch, off it, it can't be much better.

united for life

true. It’s also like the tv broke so you went out to the market and bought an oven to replace it.

Highfather_24

Sometimes you see a cow on the field and you think...

Telsim

I'm really glad we have him here. Otherwise, we would have been left with no one to fill the Donny's position. Whew! Credit where credit is due, that was good planning by the club!

Borys

Statistics Wizard
A lot of people aren’t frustrated at Mount the player, but more the decision to sign him. So far It’s been a colossal waste of money that has contributed to us being short in the no.8 position, where we have McTominay getting more minutes than almost everyone, contributing to our season going down the shitter. Terrible decision making all round, including getting rid of Fred for peanuts.
But the manager didn't want a no8. Mount played the same role that McTominay is playing now, something resembling a second striker.
I do agree that this is a flawed idea, but Mount can play more b2b #8 role - it's not ideal, but he's got the skillset for it.

As a side note, IMO even McTominay playing a bit deeper would've been better off than this shite setup we're playing now resulting in a basketball game.