2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

NoPace

11M a year (55M over 5 years) so if he leaves summer of 2025 for 33M to say West Ham or Everton then it's only a short term disaster?

Woziak

11M a year (55M over 5 years) so if he leaves summer of 2025 for 33M to say West Ham or Everton then it's only a short term disaster?
When he would have been Free this summer, beggars belief ?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Not fair to judge him on this mess. Plus he hardly has any football in his boots. Give him a full season next year, if he can stay fit, and then judge. I am sure the next manager will love to have a player of his quality.

Anyone saying we could’ve gotten him on a free this year is dreaming. He’d have gone elsewhere or signed a new deal.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Not fair to judge him on this mess. Plus he hardly has any football in his boots. Give him a full season next year, if he can stay fit, and then judge. I am sure the next manager will love to have a player of his quality.

Anyone saying we could’ve gotten him on a free this year is dreaming. He’d have gone elsewhere or signed a new deal.
I doubt many are judging him.

We're definitely judging ETH and the recruitment as we have done all season. Why the feck did we buy him and not actually try and sort one of our litany of other issues?

Malone_Post

No one else would have paid £60 million for him & he’d pretty much told the club he wasn’t signing a new deal. We’re not talking about a player who we just couldn’t turn up the opportunity to sign. We’re talking about Mason Mount ffs. If we could have got him on a free then great, a solid squad addition. A homegrown player who could cover a few positions and follows a managers tactical instructions. Great business. If not, no big deal.

But no, we had to drop £60 million on him, offer him a £250k a week contract, give him the #7 shirt & turn him into our marquee summer signing. All while neglecting to bring in an actual midfielder that the team was crying out for.

Just another complete shitshow from this club as usual. And the worst thing? The majority of this forum called it from the start.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

The feck is he going to do next year? Bruno is ahead of him, as he is a much better player. Mainoo is one of the 2 deep players. Mason Mount, while being a decent player, is not a starting 11 player here, and likely never will be because he's not good enough as a 10 to be a starting 10 for a top club. That position demands a world class player basically if you want to win things. He is not that.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
The only thing going for him is that he was injured for most of the season. We can keep telling ourselves that we haven't seen his best, although we already know from his body at work at Chelsea that he wasn't all that.

One of the most baffling signings of the last few seasons. With others the issue was the position identified was correct, it was just the wrong player. This time we made a signing just for the heck of it. Worse is that he was injured for most of last season at Chelsea, in the last year of his contract and we still decided to spend 55m+5m on him on extortionate wages.

No manager has fecked us more with their stupid signings that ETH. The damage he would've done by the time it's over is going to take years to repair.

ForeverRed1

The only thing going for him is that he was injured for most of the season. We can keep telling ourselves that we haven't seen his best, although we already know from his body at work at Chelsea that he wasn't all that.

One of the most baffling signings of the last few seasons. With others the issue was the position identified was correct, it was just the wrong player. This time we made a signing just for the heck of it. Worse is that he was injured for most of last season at Chelsea, in the last year of his contract and we still decided to spend 55m+5m on him on extortionate wages.

No manager has fecked us more with their stupid signings that ETH. The damage he would've done by the time it's over is going to take years to repair.
Not ETH, blame recruitment and all the people who authorise, negotiate and sign players contracts.

Name 5 top class signings in the last 11 years. I’ll wait.

it’s shambolic. The reality of how this club has been run for the last 15 years has never been more clear.

Winrar

Not ETH, blame recruitment and all the people who authorise, negotiate and sign players contracts.

it’s shambolic. The reality of how this club has been run for the last 15 years has never been more clear.
You don't think ETH had anything to do with signings of Antony, Mount, Onana, Amrabat?

Oscar Bonavena

The amount of time, energy and money that was taken to sign this guy.

Decent player, but like most of the clueless fans on here, I could not see where he would fit into the team or why we needed him. But I thought, ok, ten Hag must have a plan for him, he wouldn't be going balls out to sign a player without a definite plan.

Turns out ten Hag hadn't a f**king clue about what to do with Mount either!

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

He was atrocious without a question.
However, he should be given a few games to make a fair judgement. Other players have proven time and time again how bad they are.
Also despite the poor performance Mount showed some glimpses of what I would like to see more from our future players. Trying to be progressive, quick passing and moving also in tight spaces etc.
One of the few I would like to give a chance next season.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
We give trash players multiple seasons. Lets see how many trashy performances this guy can put in. And then make a judgement.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We give trash players multiple seasons. Lets see how many trashy performances this guy can put in. And then make a judgement.
It's insane isn't it? It's like saying that you need to put your fingers in a pot of boiling water a few times before you know if it's bad for your health.

The amount of time, energy and money that was taken to sign this guy.

Decent player, but like most of the clueless fans on here, I could not see where he would fit into the team or why we needed him. But I thought, ok, ten Hag must have a plan for him, he wouldn't be going balls out to sign a player without a definite plan.

Turns out ten Hag hadn't a f**king clue about what to do with Mount either!
All true. At a time we needed a real centre midfielder we went out and got another #10. Utterly insane move that was never going to work.

Roboc7

We spent over a quarter of a billion on him, Casemiro, Onana and Antony. They probably cost over 800k a week in wages as well, maybe significantly more. It’s mental and it’s equally there were people who thought Murtough and Arnold were doing a good job.

I think Mount is better than we’ve seen but I can’t understand why we bought him or where he will ever fit in.

buckooo1978

I'll judge him in a more functional team next year

hard to not look like a clown when you are performing at the circus

Insanity

Most apt username 2015

Why? Why will I not blame the guy who wanted control of the transfers and hand-picked these players. The upper management being shit doesn't absolve him of picking these players for recruitment.

NoPace

When he would have been Free this summer, beggars belief ?
Yeah it was ridiculous not to spend that money on say 2 young players and a striker in his prime doing well in a decent but not top league:

1) Defender
2) DM
3 ) Striker

I guess ideally we would just be as smart as Sporting Lisbon and bought Gyokeres and Hjulmand with the money and we'd still have a hole in defence but these injuries have been pretty unfortunate (not Shaw or Varane so much, but Lisandro and Malacia).

Throw in Murillo as a backup for Lisandro and it could have been, adding 3M to each signing for a United tax:

Murillo - 14M
Gyokeres - 23M
Hjulmand - 24M

and no Amrabat loan in (with Hjulmand around as a 2nd DM with Casemiro) and we'd have actually spent less money and we'd have some size and strength and be tougher to play against and have some young building blocks.

We've been real stupid in so many ways. Hopefully the next decade is different.

Devil81

Never been a fan even when he was at Chelsea but this seems fair to me.

I just think he's a nearly man with everything he does, so many big chances missed for Chelsea in big moments.

That said he could end up an important player under the new management we all assume is coming soon.

Godfather

This. I'm not a fan of him and was against signing him but this is fair enough. Give him next season with a - hopefully - new and more competent manager

Suv666

i mean he’s not going to get any minutes next year too.

We spent 60m on a bench option.

buckooo1978

But where will he play?
God knows - you'd never have him over Bruno but a new manager might have a plan.

I look at how effective players like Harvey Elliott/Curtis Jones have been for Liverpool at times and I think Klopp tried to get Mount himself to play in his midfield 3.

a midfield of a DM, maybe a Playmaker, Mainoo, Mount and Bruno provides good options

I wouldnt have signed him myself and that's on Ten Hag but it gets frustrating when our fans are putting the boot in when the player has barely kicked a ball.

Leethal

I wouldnt have signed him myself and that's on Ten Hag but it gets frustrating when our fans are putting the boot in when the player has barely kicked a ball.
He was shite at Chelsea and England 18 months before we signed him, too.

I imagine he’d be getting a lot more concession from the fan bases if he was coming off a decent level of form. What we’re seeing now is true to form. He’s just rubbish; and I’ve been saying that since day one.

Stadjer

100%

He was atleast 2-0 behind for some when he signed because he is an ex Chelsea player, got the 7 shirt and they think Mount would have come for free upcoming summer.

tomaldinho1

God knows - you'd never have him over Bruno but a new manager might have a plan.

I look at how effective players like Harvey Elliott/Curtis Jones have been for Liverpool at times and I think Klopp tried to get Mount himself to play in his midfield 3.

a midfield of a DM, maybe a Playmaker, Mainoo, Mount and Bruno provides good options

Yeah I agree, he's a good player but a weird signing for an 8. I don't see why he doesn't just start RW these days (at least then his shirt number will be correct!) if he's fit, played there before and did well and can actually cross with his right foot.

Doracle

100%

He was atleast 2-0 behind for some when he signed because he is an ex Chelsea player, got the 7 shirt and they think Mount would have come for free upcoming summer.
The fact that he is an ex Chelsea player is irrelevant. I doubt anyone would have complained if we had signed a 25 year old Eden Hazard from them or a peak Drogba.

The reality is that people weren’t in favour of the transfer before we signed him because we’ve seen him play. He’s a player England fans were wondering for years why Southgate kept picking him. He finally gets replaced by better players at international level only for United to then decide to pay £50m for him and put him on £250k a week.

If you then add the fact that he’s been injured much of the season and would be out of contract shortly, it’s not hard to see why fans are skeptical of this signing.

cpresc

I think Mount is better than we’ve seen but I can’t understand why we bought him or where he will ever fit in.
rotation option in the 10 role to help keep Bruno fresh

8 when we’re at home playing lesser teams and need more aggressive attacks and defence unlocking

ScholesyTheWise

I was instinctively against signing him for the sum we paid and also in general, but I haven't seen him enough for Chelsea or England.
It's nice for the ego as a football fan to have been right about a signing, but I couldn't base it on anything but gut feeling at the time.

I wonder, what player did the coaching staff think they were getting?
Does he thrive on a chaotic field or when you slowly recycle possession until you find an opening?

It's easy to say that "he's shit", but I just don't understand this signing to begin with.

Is he a way worse- but still comparable- version of Thomas Mueller? This is the 'vibe' I get from people talking about him.
Quite capable in numerous positions, great movement off the ball, great at pressing, and yet a rather weird offensive player...?

For people saying he is / could be a backup for Bruno - does he have the same defense-splitting passes? The same goals from a distance?

RedDevil@84

We payed 55 million for the privilege of having him one season earlier...in which he's hardly played.

I think Mount wins the 'Most Brainless Transfer' award
In hindsight maybe, but we had no clue he would be in the hospital all season, right?