5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a classic case of overseeing the mistake of some one you like and expecting mistake to happen from someone you are already skeptic about. Some of the micro analysis of Valencia's performance truly surprised me last season as how deep people could go to justify their agenda. There is a theory in psychology where it is claimed people make decisions before .. ala Valencia is horrible at RB, Romero is at fault for every goal we concede, Darmian is beautiful defender with no mistake ... and then form reasons for these decisions based on what they expected to see ..like Valencia was at fault for Chelsea's goal at Stamford bridge last season, Romero was at fault for double deflected goal against Brugge etc.
Yep, that's a pretty good summary of it.

I notice it a lot with Schweinsteiger. People keep babbling about how great he is, how more comfortable we look etc, but I'm just left constantly underwhelmed when he comes on. I think people mostly judge him by his name, not his contribution on his pitch. I for one sure hope we gets a lot better than what he is now.

dustfingers

Supports
MMC
Yep, that's a pretty good summary of it.

I notice it a lot with Schweinsteiger. People keep babbling about how great he is, how more comfortable we look etc, but I'm just left constantly underwhelmed when he comes on. I think people mostly judge him by his name, not his contribution on his pitch. I for one sure hope we gets a lot better than what he is now.
Yeah, me too. But he's BFS so everything is allright and the glorious pass to Herrera against Brugge. But I think he'll raise his level once he sheds the few summer pounds of his.

Now watch this and take off your Darmian-wank glasses. He´s marking Gomis all the way and get badly beaten, plain and simple. We lose the match! Very poor defending

That was far more Smalling's fault than it was Darmian's. He let him get behind him and lost where he was. It was the same situation in the previous clip.

Ibi Dreams

I wouldn't blame Darmian for that. No more than I would Smalling or Romero. Really Romero should be doing better there, it's a tight angle and Gomis gets it in way too easily.

With the first clip posted, I have no idea how that's meant to be Darmian at fault. The cross comes in from the left which isn't his side, and there are two players in the box who don't deal with the cross. It'd be nice if Darmian was magically in the box to head the ball clear, but that's not really where he's meant to be most of the time, is it? Especially when the goal comes from a quick counter. Full backs are allowed to get forward because when they do, other players will fill in the gaps and be ready to get back and defend if possession is turned over. We can't expect him to be in two places at once.

Hal9000

I´m not trying to big up Valencia, and I prefer Darmian. But we need to score more goals and get more Rafa-Valencia offence from the right side. Darmian is giving us nearly nothing thus far, especially from what we´ve become used to from manchester United fullbacks. Let´s hope he steps it or that LVG changes some tactics around.
To be fair, Valencia has not really offered us anything offensively for a whilst, not since his injury. No longer do we see him use raw pace and strength to beat a man, in one on one situations he was not the most skillful but his cut backs or pace used to have him win most situations, and he was not afraid to put a cross in. Now he usually passes, more often than not backwards, instead of whipping in a cross or taking a man on. He can get quite deep into the attacking half on that right wing and then he just slows everything down.

As for Damian, his crossing can do with some work, but he has an attacking side to his game. Didn't he end up with 5 goals and a few assists last season as his previous club? He's good at defending very high up the pitch, he's won the ball quite a few times near the opponents areas to set off attacks. Unfortunately at the moment, Shaw and Damian are not Evra and Rafa, but both are young and will learn.

donnwyt

The Gomis goal to me was more of communication failure than any one defender/goalie's fault. Smalling waited on Romero to catch it who was waiting for Smalling to clear it and Darmian stuck in the middle on both players' hesitation.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Coming into the EPL from Serie A and being as consistent as he has in the handful of games he's played in is fantastic. Once he settles fully into his new environment he will go from strength to strength. Very happy with him so far and there's much more to come.

Nickosaur

Good for him, would have been my choice although it could have easily been Smalling or Shaw too.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Smalling has been better but it's been a good start for Darmian.

I just want to see more application going forward. I don't know if it's his natural game or if it is instruction.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Smalling has been better but it's been a good start for Darmian.

I just want to see more application going forward. I don't know if it's his natural game or if it is instruction.
He played as a wing back quite regularly for Italy and Torino. Most of the time he makes forward runs but Mata opts to go inside.

RooneyLegend

He'd probably be our second best CB if played there. Given our lack of options there I'd like to see us try it soon. His reading of the game and positional play is exceptional.

justboy68

I think Shaw deserved it more, but I'm not going to complain about Darmian getting it. Great to see him settle in so quickly and look so assured defensively. Just need to see more from him going forward and I think we will in time.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
His defending is fine, great to watch. His attacking is dogshite. The anti Dani Alves.

Man Utd 3:1 Liverpool

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Has looked great so far. All the fullbacks have to be fair, but Darmian stands out for me as I've not seen him play before.

Raptori

Special needs
Has looked great so far. All the fullbacks have to be fair, but Darmian stands out for me as I've not seen him play before.
Standard performance for him, though tonight he's had a couple more opportunities to get the ball when he's gone forward than the last couple of matches. Good to hear an oppo fan appreciating his performance! :)

Devil may care

Just so solid, 1 v 1 he's as good as anyone around IMO, the fact he can use his left foot to nick the ball with ease makes it hard for wingers to get around him.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Just so solid, 1 v 1 he's as good as anyone around IMO, the fact he can use his left foot to nick the ball with ease makes it hard for wingers to get around him.
Yeah that's what I've noticed the most, seems impossible to dribble around, always comes away with the ball.

Moonred

His defensive intelligence and general reading of the game is great. If now he can start crossing like GNeville and improve his attacking play, he will be an United legend.

Raw

Wish he'd stop picking up yellow cards, he has 3 now right? Don't you get a 1 game suspension for 5 yellows?

Devil81

Wish he'd stop picking up yellow cards, he has 3 now right? Don't you get a 1 game suspension for 5 yellows?
I don't think we can stop it I'm afraid, his first instinct is to stop the player. I think he's one of the best one on one defenders I've seen wearing the red shirt, I'd love his attacking game to improve but defensively he's outstanding.

Raw

I don't think we can stop it I'm afraid, his first instinct is to stop the player. I think he's one of the best one on one defenders I've seen wearing the red shirt, I'd love his attacking game to improve but defensively he's outstanding.
Yep, just worried about the prospect of having to play Valencia there if he does get suspended!

Lu Tze

I think he's got elasto-legs or something. He occasionally looks beaten, then somehow he ends up poking at the ball, killing the attacking threat.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He's just getting better. Defensively, he's top. Now if he could improve his attacking play, he'd be perfect

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I think he's got elasto-legs or something. He occasionally looks beaten, then somehow he ends up poking at the ball, killing the attacking threat.
Like many Italian players, his tactical knowledge, reading of the game and cleverness helps him a lot

Raw

He's just getting better. Defensively, he's top. Now if he could improve his attacking play, he'd be perfect
Saw some glimpses of good attacking play, that chance that Carrick created for Darmian to put in a good cross could have resulted in a goal if Fellaini's touch was better.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Saw some glimpses of good attacking play, that chance that Carrick created for Darmian to put in a good cross could have resulted in a goal if Fellaini's touch was better.
and that run where Herrera picked him out. With more confidence I can see him make more runs

izec

2 of the yellow cards he received this season were really soft. Anyway, i d rather he gets a yellow than letting the winger/striker run past him. He is clever to know when to foul at the right time.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Whenever I see him in a 1-1 I'm not worried at all, even if a player gets the wrong side of him you know they aren't getting away, he'll snap 'em.

drmuji

We have bought him to defend.... Last season, every team exploited us on the right side and we looked so vulnerable .... we eventually had to double up every time a team attacked us on our right....
This season, how many times have you seen mata go for defending ... if he frees up our attackers from defensive duties, even that's a plus for us

Status
Not open for further replies.