Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

itso 7

Bizarre. It was mostly Valencia's fault. How can you not see that?
He obviously didn't watch the match but simply heard that the goal came through Darmian's side and got the ammunition to feed his agenda. Schneiderlin and Blind played like amateurs on that move and Valencia was stupid to help them bust the offside trap.

dasty

Valencia was so bad that LVG see it as a necessity to sub him off during half time. But okay, blame it on Darmian.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Weird the way some people seem to get so hung up on defending unfairly criticised players they end up being outrageously biased against players that keep them out of the team. The goal was mainly Blind's fault but Valencia fecked up badly too. Darmian was almost completely blame free. He had a very good game IMO.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Shows Darmian clearly playing him onside as well, so Tony does´t matter, does he. I wish Darmian would've marked his man
Valencia's still fairly out of position, though, which hardly helps.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Darmian was at fault for their goal, but it was a collective defensive deck up. Thought he was superb mostly.

Irrational.

Darmian was solid tonight, but should go back to RB.

Instead of having only two players out of position in Young and Blind, we ended up having three players out of position. Young at LB and Darmian at RB should've been a no-brainer. Unless he was put out there specifically to nullify Draxler/ Schurrle, which he didn't do very well at.

Ixion

Honestly there is no need to argue whether Valencia was badly positioned or at fault for that goal, go watch literally any other game he's played RB for us and you'll find an example of his poor positioning. He's always drifting into the wrong place, it's one of his biggest weaknesses.

Devil may care

Nobby loves him some Tony V.

I thought Darmian was vital tonight, his closing down and endless energy at the back really helped Smalling as Blind was off the pace.

Sigma

Darmian, Blind, Smalling, Valencia and Schneiderlin were all in someway at fault for the goal. End of.

tom33

Only seen the replay once, but it did look like Darmian was at fault for the goal. Thought he was very good otherwise though.

ZDwyr

I didn't watch the match, so I don't even really know why I am commenting :lol:. But anyway, going by the replay and the still-shots I have seen I thought Blind and Valencia were more at fault than Darmian.

acnumber9

Weird the way some people seem to get so hung up on defending unfairly criticised players they end up being outrageously biased against players that keep them out of the team. The goal was mainly Blind's fault but Valencia fecked up badly too. Darmian was almost completely blame free. He had a very good game IMO.
I'd say I'd probably be a bit guilty of that at times but Darmian was definitely not blame free. It was poor positioning by Valencia but he could've been stood on the halfway line and the goal would still have happened.

Mani

Its better to start him at RB and Rojo/Young at LB,but i think LVG would play him again at LB against Arsenal.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Prior to the goal Darmian was out of position, therefore Schneiderlin and Blind took it upon themselves to cover the vacant right back position. Caligiuri made the run on the wide right channel, whilst being tracked by the aforementioned players, and he plays the ball back towards Draxler (who Darmian is marking/covering). Draxler passes to Kruse who assists Caligiuri, who should have been stopped by either Blind or Schneiderlin, but instead had a free run at goal.

Darmians run of play was tracking Draxler, then covering the CB space left by Blind and then shifting back to his RB position, as Blind moved back centrally. In my opinion, the players at fault were Blind and Valencia. Blind for not tracking Caligiuri and Valencia for being Valencia (the RB version).

As the ball is played to Caligiuri, Darmian instantly steps up, which is what they're most probably practicing in training, however, Valencia is so far back that it destroys our attempt at playing the offside.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Would be a bit surprised if he starts at LB, he should be up against Sanchez.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'd say I'd probably be a bit guilty of that at times but Darmian was definitely not blame free. It was poor positioning by Valencia but he could've been stood on the halfway line and the goal would still have happened.
It might have but it would have taken a well timed run and pass. Valencia's failure to step out meant they had a huge margin for error on both elements. It was horrible defending all round, really. All the more frustrating because it involved four players usually known for their defensive smarts (Blind, Smalling, Schneiderlin and Darmian) If any of them had done their job a bit better then Valencia's naivety would have been much less of an issue (still an issue though)

The comment about "some people" wasn't aimed at you btw. @Nobby style has been a fervent defender of Valencia for ages (sometimes with good reason, sometimes not so much) which seems to have translated into a desire to constantly belittle Valencia's replacement, Darmian. Who's had a couple of ropey displays but has generally been excellent (i.e. better than valencia)

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Erm, exactly...
My bad misread that. To be fair Valencia handled Sanchez very well last year, in both games he was pretty ineffective. I have a feeling he will be more lively in this game though.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
It might have but it would have taken a well timed run and pass. Valencia's failure to step out meant they had a huge margin for error on both elements. It was horrible defending all round, really. All the more frustrating because it involved four players usually known for their defensive smarts (Blind, Smalling, Schneiderlin and Darmian) If any of them had done their job a bit better then Valencia's naivety would have been much less of an issue (still an issue though)

The comment about "some people" wasn't aimed at you btw. @Nobby style has been a fervent defender of Valencia for ages (sometimes with good reason, sometimes not so much) which seems to have translated into a desire to constantly belittle Valencia's replacement, Darmian. Who's had a couple of ropey displays but has generally been excellent (i.e. better than valencia)
The thing is, Valencia is measured by milimetrics for everything negative, and usually completely ignored for anything positive, whereas Darmian is completely measured the opposite. For anything right, his balls are polished to a beautiful sheen, and not many people notice his feck ups. I´m just going to measure Darmian equally. The guy has been at fault on four goals in this young year already, been skinned several times, has been yanked off at halftime for being shite, and provides basically zero offense, which for a Manchester United fullback is a sin, yet by reading the praise of him, you would think he's the second coming of christ. The guy is usually decent and has very good moments defensively, but he is massively overrated in response to the bandwagon of hate for Valencia.

Sigma

The thing is, Valencia is measured by milimetrics for everything negative, and usually completely ignored for anything positive, whereas Darmian is completely measured the opposite. For anything right, his balls are polished to a beautiful sheen, and not many people notice his feck ups. I´m just going to measure Darmian equally. The guy has been at fault on four goals in this young year already, been skinned several times, has been yanked off at halftime for being shite, and provides basically zero offense, which for a Manchester United fullback is a sin, yet by reading the praise of him, you would think he's the second coming of christ. The guy is usually decent and has very good moments defensively, but he is massively overrated in response to the bandwagon of hate for Valencia.
Completely agree.

m1y2

his performances completely fit to what Iv'e said about him before he joined us even I didn't know him that much. He reminded me Blind when he came here, similar players in terms of what the've achieved in their league/ in national team, similar price, similar consistency and never a world class potential. Both look good buys but still are found out of their depth at times...

Darmian offers almost nothing going forward with that I agree the most. Fullback who plays for MANchester United should definitely know how to get forward and even more in this at times very rigid system with double pivot at the base, something which Shaw started to offer this year at the age of 20. I still think Matteto can come good but he's been a bit overrated after his arrival as almost every other player who came for a position we had so needed to strengthen. It's good to be optimistic but stay realistic at the same time guys..

surf

He's been good at left back as well and some of his left footed crosses are great. He seems comfortable on either side.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I can't get over the fact that we have a relatively old-school defence-first fullback. It's great.

m1y2

I doubt I ever seen any worse performance from a right back like this half against Arsenal. I like being optimistic but only thing he's got on Rafael is that he can stay fit. That's what you get when you finally play world class player from the left against you..

acnumber9

One of the worst defensive performances from a United player since Evra's debut.

Skills

Snitch
Hopefully this is him just settling in. For someone who's not great going forward he needs to much better defensively.

Jones would do a better job at RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.