Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
So you are saying Darmian was better because he played left back for the first time for us despite playing it regularly there for Torino while he was there and Valencia is worse because he had an almost identical game to him but he's played right back for 1 year, only transferring from being a winger very late in his career.
No, I am not saying that, read the fecking post again. And nobody watched him in fecking Torino.

Sigma

No, I am not saying that, read the fecking post again. And nobody watched him in fecking Torino.
You basically said that...

You might have meant a different thing, but it came across as that.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Agreed but people who say that Valencia isn't good defensively have an agenda against him.

:lol:
I was watching the DDG saves from last season on another thread, it was amazing how many times Valencia was out of position, lost a tackle or just struck out needlessly, lost his man, or just not in the frame as a chance was created down his side. I thought seeing Darmian, a RB who actually knows how to defend, how to operate as part of a back 4 would refresh people's memories and show them what's wrong with Valencia.
It's even more surprising that these are mostly the same people who criticised Rafael's defensive work based on his positioning, when it was atleast acceptable compared to Valencia. Brown was the last RB we had who properly owned his flank, and I think Darmian can do the same.

*I'm commenting on the general notion of Valencia's defensive work not on his game yesterday which I haven't seen. If Sunderland's biggest chances came down our right that would be quite typical of him.

Kag

Agreed but people who say that Valencia isn't good defensively have an agenda against him.
Not really. Valencia's defensive positioning can be a major, major issue.

Take the Van Aanholt chance yesterday even. He gets sucked in far too often and Smalling, particularly last season, often ends up being dragged out to the touchline in his place.

Valencia does well there considering he's been an attacking player for the majority of his professional career, but there are definite positional flaws in his game that have cost us previously and probably will do again. That's no agenda I'm afraid, just the truth.

Generally, though, I'm happy to have him at the club in the role he has right now.

Sigma

Not really. Valencia's defensive positioning can be a major, major issue.

Take the Van Aanholt chance yesterday even. He gets sucked in far too often and Smalling, particularly last season, often ends up being dragged out to the touchline in his place.

Valencia does well there considering he's been an attacking player for the majority of his professional career, but there are definite positional flaws in his game that have cost us previously and probably will do again. That's no agenda I'm afraid, just the truth.

Generally, though, I'm happy to have him at the club in the role he has right now.
Like I said in a Previous post Mata was marking the left back and didn't follow him, Valencia had already tucked in because the winger had. That was the only attack they had from our right.

Kag

Like I said in a Previous post Mata was marking the left back and didn't follow him, Valencia had already tucked in because the winger had. That was the only attack they had from our right.
Mata definitlely had defensive responsibility, and Cattermole played a great ball, to be fair, but a few steps to his right and Valencia is immediately in a better position to force the issue and perhaps get a foot in. I'm being quite critical I'm aware, but it's something of a regular occurrence with Valencia.

One vs one against a wide man he has no issues defensively, in his defence. But the more subtle side of the game can catch him out.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Mata definitlely had defensive responsibility, and Cattermole played a great ball, to be fair, but a few steps to his right and Valencia is immediately in a better position to force the issue and perhaps get a foot in. I'm being quite critical I'm aware, but it's something of a regular occurrence with Valencia.

One vs one against a wide man he has no issues defensively, in his defence. But the more subtle side of the game can catch him out.
Valencia's man had just made a run inbetween him and Smalling, Valencia had to narrow to shut the space off in the middle of the pitch. The fact is Mata couldn't track Van aanholt's run due to the pace differential. That is not Valencia's fault though, you can't keep a tight back line and then quickly sprint wide it just isn't possible.

I personally put more blame on either Carrick or Schneiderlin there, their midfield had WAY too much time to pick any pass he wanted. If 1 of them had shut him down a little quicker that pass wouldn't have been on.

FromTheBench

He contributes nothing in attack.

Though i love his defensive work most of the time, going forward he gives little to nothing.

Mata on that flank seems better playing with a Valencia/Young as runners on the outside.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
They were going through are left side like water in the second half. Has moments of defensive brilliance, but has his embarrassing moments as well. Once again, at fault on their goal
Will you ever give this agenda up? :lol:

podurban2

He contributes nothing in attack.

Though i love his defensive work most of the time, going forward he gives little to nothing.

Mata on that flank seems better playing with a Valencia/Young as runners on the outside.
I agree with this. Valencia is too much of a liability though.

CG1010

To be honest I thought he was quite poor in the first half. Made it up though in the second half and especially towards the end.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
To be honest I thought he was quite poor in the first half. Made it up though in the second half and especially towards the end.
First half, we had the ball and he had little to do. He does seem to value defending far more than attacking, and I really enjoy that. Second half, he was called upon and he was brilliant. Can't ask for more.

Bojan11

Blaming him for the goal?

Daley Blind was at fault for charging out in midfield and then fullback.

Dion

Absolutely quality today, not been playing well recently at rightback but was fantastic when we needed him today.

Their goal was all on Blind and Valencia, proper nonsense to be blaming Darmian.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Not only did Darmian play him onside, it was his man as well. Valencia made no difference in that play.
Did you watch the match? I'm going to assume you didn't. Valencia was right back and played their forward onside. Darmian was playing left back.

vodrake

You can really see the agendas at play when half out team has now been individually blamed for that goal :lol:

CG1010

First half, we had the ball and he had little to do. He does seem to value defending far more than attacking, and I really enjoy that. Second half, he was called upon and he was brilliant. Can't ask for more.
Not really. Wolfsburg had several attacking moves down our left in the first half also. Thought the CBs bailed out Darmian often. I am not even considering his attacking output at this point - even though he crossed the ball to Mata for a good chance in the first half.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
He gets very little passing when he does overlapping runs and that is a bit disappointing as I think he can attack pretty well but he never gets the ball to do so,

justboy68

Regardless of Valencia being off in la-la land, their player would have been onside anyway and Darmian was the man who let him go so he isn't completely wrong on this one, it was poor defending from everyone. Thought Matteo was absolutely excellent in the second half though after a bit of a shaky first half.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Could've arguably done a bit more to be with his man, but in all fairness to Wolfsburg it was a decent bit of play from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.