Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

redflair

Defensively, I think Darmian is decent and has done ok since he's been starting.

The problem has been the last 20 minutes where both his - and someone like Martial's stamina - appear to take a nosedive. It leaves us open and more prone to conceding damaging late goals.

Of course, his attacking play appears to have gone way south in the time he's been here.

But it's his defending he's being picked for and, despite Sissoko's late flurry, Spurs didn't create too much in the way of clearcut chances. All the back four should take credit for that.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
In our back four, he's the weak spot. Let's see if Jose will pick him or if he thinks he can improve

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Defensively, I think Darmian is decent and has done ok since he's been starting.

The problem has been the last 20 minutes where both his - and someone like Martial's stamina - appear to take a nosedive. It leaves us open and more prone to conceding damaging late goals.

Of course, his attacking play appears to have gone way south in the time he's been here.

But it's his defending he's being picked for and, despite Sissoko's late flurry, Spurs didn't create too much in the way of clearcut chances. All the back four should take credit for that.
He was easily the weakest part of the backline and Spurs' best moments came from his side.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
good one from Reddit (georgesco):

It upsets me when people hate on players without understanding some tactical basics. Rojo was SUPPOSED to cover LB because Darmian had a man-marking instruction on Eriksen-this is is a VERY common defensive tactical motif. Darmian was NOT out of position, he was doing exactly what he was supposed to. Just rewatch the game. There is a reason Tottenham couldn't create chances in their normal way (Eriksen in a pocket behind the midfield, turning with space), and Darmian was a huge reason for that. Mourinho trusts him a lot to give him responsibility to mark their most dangerous player.
A general rule is that if you think someone is "useless" at that high level of play, its more that you probably don't understand what was happening. So many instances where he prevented Tottenham unfolding in their final-third. Darmian did a lot of great work today (outweighs by a lot the few natural mistakes). Its just that you guys didn't see the work, otherwise this wouldnt have 100 upvotes.
Absolute hogwash

He has been more than defensively poor in many games this season, not just this one.

Using the "If you dont agree with me, you dont understand football" jibe is just a silly way to argue a point too.

K2K

I'm not saying we should change systems to suit Darmian. Darmian is not even close to being that important for us.

My point is, several factors have played a role in his bad form, including the pace of English football and a change in position. The fact that he looks okay in defence but bad in attack is in stark contrast to the perception with Torino and Italy, where he regularly contributed in attacks.

The only way his quality can be determined is to play him at wing-back in Serie A, but at a higher level. Like, say, at Juventus. At the moment, there are far too many factors which are clouding our perception of him as a player.

I am actually okay with him leaving, since it would be good for both parties. My only fear, as I said before, is he could join Conte at Chelsea and immediately look a better player.
Conte largely benched him at the Euros too.

I doubt he would be interested. He has much better players at his disposal already.

devips

Except for those last 20-25 minutes with Sissoko, Darmian has been playing ok so far in the LB position. He has not contributed much in attack, admittedly, but that could be something Mourinho instructed. Let's wait some more, without resorting to knee-jerk reactions.

Janson

good one from Reddit (georgesco):

It upsets me when people hate on players without understanding some tactical basics. Rojo was SUPPOSED to cover LB because Darmian had a man-marking instruction on Eriksen-this is is a VERY common defensive tactical motif. Darmian was NOT out of position, he was doing exactly what he was supposed to. Just rewatch the game. There is a reason Tottenham couldn't create chances in their normal way (Eriksen in a pocket behind the midfield, turning with space), and Darmian was a huge reason for that. Mourinho trusts him a lot to give him responsibility to mark their most dangerous player.
A general rule is that if you think someone is "useless" at that high level of play, its more that you probably don't understand what was happening. So many instances where he prevented Tottenham unfolding in their final-third. Darmian did a lot of great work today (outweighs by a lot the few natural mistakes). Its just that you guys didn't see the work, otherwise this wouldnt have 100 upvotes.
Good observation. He has more positional discipline and better awareness than Blind. There is a reason he's starting ahead of Shaw and Blind.

Robbie Boy

Except for those last 20-25 minutes with Sissoko, Darmian has been playing ok so far in the LB position. He has not contributed much in attack, admittedly, but that could be something Mourinho instructed. Let's wait some more, without resorting to knee-jerk reactions.
Wait, what? How in gods name has anyone formed "kneejerk reactions" about a player that has nearly been here 18 months and in that time, has generally been way below par?

devips

Wait, what? How in gods name has anyone formed "kneejerk reactions" about a player that has nearly been here 18 months and in that time, has generally been way below par?
I don't hold any brief for Darmian, he is not among my favourite players. Yes, last season, after the first few matches where he was excellent, Darmian had a so-so season. First season blues, which can happen to the best of them. This year, when given a chance, he has been playing quite well, and has been very good at defence. But Cafe have already formed an opinion of him, and and small hiccups, the latest Sissoko thing for instance, would only go on to re-inforce that opinion, other good matches totally forgotten. That's what I call knee-jerk reaction.

Robbie Boy

I don't hold any brief for Darmian, he is not among my favourite players. Yes, last season, after the first few matches where he was excellent, Darmian had a so-so season. First season blues, which can happen to the best of them. This year, when given a chance, he has been playing quite well, and has been very good at defence. But Cafe have already formed an opinion of him, and and small hiccups, the latest Sissoko thing for instance, would only go on to re-inforce that opinion, other good matches totally forgotten. That's what I call knee-jerk reaction.
I completely disagree with pretty much all of this. You appear to be getting way too caught up in what you perceive as 'Caf favouritism' or such other nonsense.

I do agree with one thing; Darmian started his career here well and he looked good for the first month or so. Since then, it has all been downhill for him really. There's absolutely no 'kneejerk' reactions in here and if you go back through the thread, you will see that many - myself included - had no time for Darmian long before the Spurs match. He is extremely poor offensively and is barely adequate defensively. His form has been poor long before the Spurs match and people have said as much. It's really nothing to do with 'favourites' or whatever you think it is, it's got to do with the fact that he simply isn't good enough. There's no hidden agendas and not every player that we purchase is going to be good enough, that's life. Saying people are having 'kneejerk' reactions after a player has been here nearly 18 months, is really clutching at straws.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
When my brother and I were watching the game on Sunday, he remarked on something that I hadn't really thought of until that point. He mentioned the Arsenal game last season where we were 3-0 down in the first half, and Darmian in particular had a very poor game, and struggled against Sanchez et all and from that point on last season his form was really poor for the most part.

It's as if that completely knocked his confidence despite having a promising start, and even though he continues to be picked at the moment, I can't help but feel that against pacey or tricky players he now struggles. It could be that the Arsenal game last season is where the confidence was really hammered and as proven again at the weekend, when confronted by a player who possesses genuine pace and a trick or two, he gets found out.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
On the plus side, apparently he's just got engaged to an absolute worldie. So hopefully that'll improve his performances.

Probably why he's been looking so tired lately :drool:

stevoc

Its possible but not likely unless he's had the same instructions in the majority of games he's played for us.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He didn't contribute much under LVG. He is generally a poor full back by way of supporting the attack, that's apparently been a flaw of his since his Torino days.

Icemav

tbf he won't be the last person that Sissoko does that too. Of course it also helps if you aren't an average player.

m1y2

Agree to disagree then. He's still playing ahead of Blind, Shaw and Younf for now. By that logic, those guys should be sold first then.
well after a performance like this, he will surely be dropped

marlowe78

That match on Sunday was probably the worst performance by a starting United FB I've seen in years, maybe ever. This guy looked a complete featherweight. Pogba should've kicked his ass in the dressing room after having to do his work for him.

I'm no fan of playing Blind on the left but I'd sooner have him there, or TFM, or CBJ, or Young. Even the program seller.

thepolice123

That match on Sunday was probably the worst performance by a starting United FB I've seen in years, maybe ever. This guy looked a complete featherweight. Pogba should've kicked his ass in the dressing room after having to do his work for him.

I'm no fan of playing Blind on the left but I'd sooner have him there, or TFM, or CBJ, or Young. Even the program seller.
You mean that Pogba incident where he tracked Walker? Darmain followed his man into the box, Walker clearly should be picked up by Martial.

redflair

He was easily the weakest part of the backline and Spurs' best moments came from his side.
Thanks for that insight. Sissoko can beat any man - it's just he doesn't know what to do with the ball afterwards.

We'll agree to disagree.

rollingstoned1

One of the worst performances i can remember from a United player in a while and considering recent history that is saying something! It may just be a combination of confidence and not being suited to the lb position but we were very lucky he didn't cost us points during the weekend, when you have a player playing that badly it's better to be a man down instead.

K2K

One of the worst performances i can remember from a United player in a while and considering recent history that is saying something! It may just be a combination of confidence and not being suited to the lb position but we were very lucky he didn't cost us points during the weekend, when you have a player playing that badly it's better to be a man down instead.
We looked like a team playing with 10, and was shocked that he lasted the whole 90 minutes.

Adds nothing offensively, and defensively suspect too.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Absolute hogwash

He has been more than defensively poor in many games this season, not just this one.

Using the "If you dont agree with me, you dont understand football" jibe is just a silly way to argue a point too.
Darmian's attempt at silent domination. Except he silently whimpered as big Sissoko gave him a good seeing to time and time again.

NinjaFletch

So so much for the Einstein that told us all we didn't understand football for thinking he didn't have a good game. Dropped to the bench tonight.

Crystal Palace 1:2 Man Utd

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
2 chances to clear for their goal the guy should never be anywhere near a United jersey

FujiVice

I thought he was alright, apart from the goal. As a second choice right back, I like him.

mu4c_20le

Think it's pretty obvious that Jose only likes him for his versatility. He made some decent tackles today but I would never trust him for the full 90.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
That's probably the most useful performance I've seen from him... which is saying something.

Status
Not open for further replies.