Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil81

Squad player, I've now accepted he's useful as a squad player.

Never ever going to be a first choice player.

Shimo

2 chances to clear for their goal the guy should never be anywhere near a United jersey
He just isn't a premier league defender - not strong enough, not quick enough for this league. Those clearances were incredibly weak I thought even before the goal was scored and even more annoying that they ended up scoring.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He just isn't a premier league defender - not strong enough, not quick enough for this league. Those clearances were incredibly weak I thought even before the goal was scored and even more annoying that they ended up scoring.
Yeah I was roaring at the TV to clear your lines and shave that bum fluff! A truly waste of a jersey I'd rather see TFM or CBJ get game time.

Devil may care

He looked more at home attacking down the right, but less so defending, just not really up to it IMO.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
We can do so much better even for a relative moderate amount of money, this guy will never be fully up for it.

Besides Valencia isn't getting any younger, might as well get in a proper understudy now instead of stick with one that will never fully suffice.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Solid enough when he came on I felt.
Aside from being a complete fanny, shirking two challenges and being largely at fault for their goal? Other than that he was alright.

Manny

Grammar Police
Their goal came from his side. First a shitty clearing header then he let the Palace player run through him and lay it off.

The Wanderer

Looking good for me.

can play either side and is pretty solid. Not a world beater going forward but a decent player.

I like him.

Irrational.

Aside from being a complete fanny, shirking two challenges and being largely at fault for their goal? Other than that he was alright.
My expectations of him have been lowered so much that even him completing a pass for us, or winning a decent challenge skews my views of his performance. :lol:

stevoc

People keep saying he's a decent squad player but is he really good enough even for that role?

The fullbacks we've had in the past that were squad players were the likes of O'Shea, P.Neville, Heinze, Brown, Silvestre, Fabio and maybe even Buttner, for my money they were all better than Darmian.

He's for me 3rd-4th choice at RB after Valencia, Mensah and Bailly who looked decent there tonight. Same at LB i would have Shaw and Blind on before Darmian. He can have a run of games where he looks half decent defensively but then he collapses again. Offers nothing offensively and you could maybe forgive him that if he was a good defender but he's not. Half the time he plays like someone whos won a competition.

Sylar

Was kinda hoping TFM or young would come ahead of him, which says a lot given he was actually bought as a RB. Was hoping he would put in a fantastic performance given he had a chance there with Tony out. But Tony will come straight back in rightfully.

He had one good cross though. I guess.

DWelbz19

What exactly would you say Darmian's strength is...? I don't really see one trait at all. Maybe the fact he is pretty two-footed?

PTSTSL

He's the odd one out really now, seems to be the only defender not to have improved under JM.

His versatility will prevent him getting shipped out for now.

stevoc

What exactly would you say Darmian's strength is...? I don't really see one trait at all. Maybe the fact he is pretty two-footed?
To be fair yeah his left foot is as good as his right, pity his right foot is crap to begin with.

xplatformjedi

Supports
Pittsburgh Steelers
Was kinda hoping TFM or young would come ahead of him, which says a lot given he was actually bought as a RB. Was hoping he would put in a fantastic performance given he had a chance there with Tony out. But Tony will come straight back in rightfully.

Yup, perfect cross that Rooney should have scored on.

Darmian is still below average compared to what United should have as a right back.

Brightonian

That run, controlling touch and cross were a glimpse of what he was like at Torino, and even more so in his first couple of years with the national team. Excellent technique without flair, per se, and a good brain for direct, efficient attacking play. Wicked eye for a cross. Unfortunately since he arrived - and excluding that first five or six games of last season when all four of our back line were absolutely perfect - he just seems to have got bogged down in the greater physical demands and intensity of PL defending. He doesn't seem to be able to find the time, energy or confidence to get forward like that much any more - he's always putting out fires and trying to keep up with the pace.

Sylar

I think its that silly attempt at a beard. It looks like somebody stuck pubic hair to his face, and its all thats on his mind.

Loublaze

ATLien
Needs to return to the form he was in when he signed. He was decent when he came on except for the poor attempts at clearances for Palace's goal. He almost even got an assist. Rooney should've finished his cross

Maroo

If he plays, he has to play at right back. He looked OK defensively, and was good going forward - that cross for Rooney was delicious. When he is at left back, he often has no clue what to do once he crosses the half way line.

ravi2

Surely we have someone in the reserves or youth ranks who is better than he is?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Probably in the minority but I still rate him.

I know there's a huge age gap but he's comfortably as good a right back as Shaw is a left back right now.

Think he'll be better off elsewhere though. Seems to suffer through the rapid switches from attack to defense in the PL. Never as frequent in Italy and at International level. He's decent going forward and very good defensively but during periods of constant turnover he gets caught out of position far too much.

ti vu

Surely we have someone in the reserves or youth ranks who is better than he is?
Talent wise, maybe. Experience, positional discipline, when not to jump into tackle... I am not sure especially with young players in must win games like we have now.

Varela. But he was sent out on loan for some reason.
I don't rate Valera even compare to Darmian, but that's my opinion

Jaybomb

Talent wise, maybe. Experience, positional discipline, when not to jump into tackle... I am not sure especially with young players in must win games like we have now.

I don't rate Valera even compare to Darmian, but that's my opinion
Darmian has failed to impress me in a United shirt. Varela started a few games last season and looked full of energy and fire. I want to see more of him.

ti vu

Darmian has failed to impress me in a United shirt. Varela started a few games last season and looked full of energy and fire. I want to see more of him.
I understand your preference. Just my assessment on Varela: he's rash, physical weak (maybe stronger than Darmian), not position discipline nor well understanding the game well (Darmian ace in this part which is rated by majority of managers except someone like Pep), not that good ball winner (just like Darmian), for few years already he hasn't improved or improved at decent rate (biggest flaw I see as he's the same player every time I watched him few years after I first saw him played)... I love Rafael so it's not like I am against this energetic fullback type, just that I see too many flaw in him to be able to make it here unless he suddenly improve massively.

Last edited:

Lawman

Probably in the minority but I still rate him.

I know there's a huge age gap but he's comfortably as good a right back as Shaw is a left back right now.

Think he'll be better off elsewhere though. Seems to suffer through the rapid switches from attack to defense in the PL. Never as frequent in Italy and at International level. He's decent going forward and very good defensively but during periods of constant turnover he gets caught out of position far too much.
Shaw has had a major injury set back and is a kid! Darmain isn't a kid and hasn't had a leg break! Plus Shaw is much better from what I have seen its just that he will take time after the injury.

Lentwood

I try to see some good in every player if I can but Darmian has no positive attributes at all. Really poor on the ball, crossing terrible and just seems to drift around at half the pace of everybody else. Ducks tackles/headers and easily beaten. The one player we have im the squad who I would say is genuinely not up to PL top 10 level

Status
Not open for further replies.