Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

He chose Juve for a reason. Get in mate you are in good hands. Sarriball, I think is complete now.
How I imagine the conversations went with respective clubs.

Ed Woodward: Matthijs, we're sorry for calling your father fat. Join us.
De Ligt: it is forgiven. Tell me about the project. Who are you going to sign to get back to the top and who will I play beside?
Ed: A rapid Welsh winger is on the cards and we're going to keep De Gea and Pogba.
De Ligt: Bale? Great!
Ed: no, Daniel James from Swansea. But Ole is a legend!

*Pogba in the news - I'm leaving.

-----------------------------------------------------

Nedved: We've been looking forward to having you join us for a few seasons, Mattjis.
De Ligt: I appreciate the effort you've put in to make me feel wanted. My idol, Ronaldo even had a word at the end of the tournament.
Nedved: we have a big project and you are essential to that.
De Ligt: Tell me more and who are you going to sign. Granted you have an excellent team as is.
Nedved: we want to improve even more. We are signing Aaron Ramsey you already know, we are close to Rabiot from Paris, we also plan to bolster our existing defense even before you arrive. And of course, we are bringing back our own legend, Buffon.

*Sarri calls
Sarri: puff
De Ligt: I hope to feature prominently in the team.
Sarri: You got it. My players do whatever they want. You see how Kepa kept himself on the field last season? I give you power. Even after falling out with my team we achieved 3rd place in the premier league and won the Europa League.

--------------------------------

Knowing that Juve more or less tapped up MDL a couple seasons ago, whereas we called his family fat, it was always going to take a spectacular effort. But Ed has shown no significant steps to turn the club around and it's already preseason. It would be different if we had four class players signed up already. Instead we're dicking around again with one significant nmove at RB that is three seasons overdue.

La Vecchia Signora

Supports
Juventus

De Ligt: it is forgiven. Tell me about the project. Who are you going to sign to get back to the top and who will I play beside?
Ed: A rapid Welsh winger is on the cards and we're going to keep De Gea and Pogba.

Nedved: We've been looking forward to having you join us for a few seasons, Mattjis.
De Ligt: I appreciate the effort you've put in to make me feel wanted. My idol, Ronaldo even had a word at the end of the tournament.
De Ligt: Tell me more and who are you going to sign. Granted you have an excellent team as is.
Nedved: we want to improve even more. We are signing Aaron Ramsey you already know, we are close to Rabiot from Paris, we also plan to bolster our existing defense even before you arrive. And of course, we are bringing back our own legend, Buffon.

*Sarri calls
Sarri: You got it. My players do whatever they want. You see how Kepa kept himself on the field last season? I give you power. Even after falling out with my team we achieved 3rd place in the premier league and won the Europa League.

Knowing that Juve more or less tapped up MDL a couple seasons ago, whereas we called his family fat, it was always going to take a spectacular effort. But Ed has shown no significant steps to turn the club around and it's already preseason. It would be different if we had four class players signed up already. Instead we're dicking around again with one significant nmove at RB that is three seasons overdue.
Laughing out load. This is like reading a script of a good movie.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Probably the option that will make the least difference in the grand scheme of things IMO, from a club perspective. Juve has been a team built off a solid foundation for years now, they're now going to prolong that with him but I don't think he'll make a massive difference there (he's brilliant, don't get me wrong, just they've had a world class defence for years). Good move from his point of view though, just not a potentially ground breaking one. Big league (but relatively easy trophy), playing with one of the best ever, and has a shot for the Champions League.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
All this over a 19 year that hasn’t proved feck all yet.

I’m really really glad that we haven’t done more business with that slimy turd Radiator.

nonetheless

Supports
Juve
Why would a lot of people believe Juve buy good players so they can sell them with big cash?. Keep waiting our whole squad and good luck with that because I don’t see a team that is a selling team. Juve were never a selling team. Baggio gone because of Lippi. Zidane gone because he thought he didn’t had a chance to win the UCL with Juve. Pogba gone because he was young and naive.
because if the conditions are right everybody is up for sale at Juve

starman

Tbf its a pretty wise move at 19. Hes won all he can win at Ajax, he will do the same at Juv and learn the Italian art of defending, before probably coming to test himself in one of the big leagues in a few years, when still under 25...

Fee wise, its a decent price (67.5m), we should not be bowing down to Leicester and spending 15/20m more for Maguire...

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Tbf its a pretty wise move at 19. Hes won all he can win at Ajax, he will do the same at Juv and learn the Italian art of defending, before probably coming to test himself in one of the big leagues in a few years, when still under 25...

Fee wise, its a decent price (67.5m), we should not be bowing down to Leicester and spending 15/20m more for Maguire...
If we signed Maguire for 80-90m, we will become laughing stock as compare to De Ligt transfer, who is younger and better, and with higher resell value too, unless Maguire did a VVD next season...

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If we signed Maguire for 80-90m, we will become laughing stock as compare to De Ligt transfer, who is younger and better, and with higher resell value too, unless Maguire did a VVD next season...
We won't be a laughing stock unless he plays shockingly for us.

We're already a laughing stock for coming 6th

mostar94

We won't be a laughing stock unless he plays shockingly for us.

We're already a laughing stock for coming 6th
I agree. I would think we'd be a laughing stock if we paid a 19 year old 400k per week just to force him here.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Why would a lot of people believe Juve buy good players so they can sell them with big cash?. Keep waiting our whole squad and good luck with that because I don’t see a team that is a selling team. Juve were never a selling team. Baggio gone because of Lippi. Zidane gone because he thought he didn’t had a chance to win the UCL with Juve. Pogba gone because he was young and naive.
Maybe not a selling club per se, but a stepping stone nonetheless.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Maybe not a selling club per se, but a stepping stone nonetheless.
For who?

The only 'big' player they've sold in recent seasons was Pogba and that's because he wanted to go and they got a world record fee for him. They're no more a 'stepping stone' than any other big team apart from maybe Real and Barca.

BlueHaze

I'm going to make a prediction that Raiola will move him on in 2 or 3 seasons for probably more than double the fee he went for and get a huge agents fee.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

*Sarri calls

Never, ever, ever, try comedy.

Varun

Staff

*Sarri calls

Don't quit your day job

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
For who?

The only 'big' player they've sold in recent seasons was Pogba and that's because he wanted to go and they got a world record fee for him. They're no more a 'stepping stone' than any other big team apart from maybe Real and Barca.
You just know that with de Licht it's a matter of when (not if) he will move to the Spanish duo, unless he can't fulfill his potential.

You don't see that with Bayern or even City (though as a club they're not even close to Juve).

nonetheless

Supports
Juve

"one of the big leagues" the contempt and arrogance of some fans are funny

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

I’m really really glad that we haven’t done more business with that slimy turd Radiator.
I mean...kid plays well for the national team, and was part of a team that won the domestic double and reached a CL semi. It's not much but it's not like he proved feck all.

Eleven-Eighteen

More likely that we'll put a man on Mars before that happens

future2future

I think this guy has a well thought out plan for his career.

The choice for Juve: Great club, great players, learning defense from the best, training against some of the best attacking players around, get a couple of titles under your belt, maybe even a CL. Then move on to Barca but as a big name instead of a big talent. Leader of the defense, still only 24, 25. At Barca playing time isn't as guaranteed as at Juve. Barca has Pique, Umtiti, Lenglet (who did a good job last year) So he would have to fight his way into the starting 11 whereas he basically has a guaranteed starting spot at Juve (Bonucci didn't play to well last season).

Reactions: Jippy

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Now we're not signing him, we can admit that signing a teenager untried in the premier league as the answer to all our defensive problems was perhaps optimistic.

Matt007a

Don't understand the bitterness about the "challenge" of joining United. If someone turned us down back when we were winning trophies to join Liverpool or Arsenal because of the "challenge" of getting them back to the top, you'd slate him for lacking ambition and not wanting to come here and win things. Wake up and realise we're not one of the top attractions at this moment in time. Prestige comes 2nd to short term success for these players. A football career is short!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Juve still lacking a top class midfielder
They have one in Pjanic, and with Sarri he will really flourish. Ramsey's also great when he's fit. Rabiot might be. Ultimately though they had to prioritize, and CB was their #1 priority after last season made clear how much their defence missed Chiellini, who is soon to turn 35

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Juve do great transfer business, they really do. De Ligt, Rabiot and Ramsey for total fees of approximately the square root of feck all.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Like that time Fergie and Gill flew to London and convinced Nasri to join us instead of City.

Or that time Fergie and Gill flew out to Lille and convinced Hazard to join us instead of Chelsea.
well done, you mention two players we were never in the market for

arthurka

I always liked Maguire much better anyway.
At least De Ligt will be a champion before the league starts.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

but instead we overspend on those who have proved themselves... proved to be damn ordinary

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
They have one in Pjanic, and with Sarri he will really flourish. Ramsey's also great when he's fit. Rabiot might be. Ultimately though they had to prioritize, and CB was their #1 priority after last season made clear how much their defence missed Chiellini, who is soon to turn 35
Yes De Ligt is a great transfer but I dont think Ramsey is good enough for Juve and Pjanic despite being a tidy player he lacks flair and kind of disappears when it matters. Last year they lacked imagination and class to get over Ajax press. Can't see how Rabiot and Ramsey will change that.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's probably been covered, but can someone explain why Ajax would sell this lad for anything less then like £100m?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's probably been covered, but can someone explain why Ajax would sell this lad for anything less then like £100m?
Because no one is paying that among the clubs that could attract him. People really need to look at the fees outside of the UK, they are fairly different.

SirAnderson

Seriously find it hard to believe at this day and age that someone can mistakenly take a plane to the wrong country! Woody better just get this over the line asap, before it's "Ramseyed" away from us!
Bite

Status
Not open for further replies.