Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Actually amusing that people genuinely believe he's come to us right now.

Don't think Liverpool will spend that amount on another CB, especially with Gomez being too drawer potentially.

If he comes to England it will be to City replacing Kompany n Otamendi. However I think he has his heart set on Barcelona with his pal De Jong.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Would be so stupid of him to come here. I actually don't know if I can trust his decision making if that happens.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
It's a wet dream, but his agent recently said the only team De Ligt wants to go to is Barcelona. That said United need to go overboard for him. I mean they're probably gonna do that any way, might as well do it for a guaranteed superstar than on mediocrity. He is the biggest piece this team needs, go all in.

Zlatattack

We should be working overtime to appeal to this kid. He's going to be the best in his generation, we should be telling him we want him to be the cornerstone of the new Manchester united. We should be telling him we want him to be the next Jaap Stam (lets hope he doesn't google how that ended).

crossy1686

career ending
VDS is dead to me if he doesn't send the kid to us.
Van Der Sar will want the best deal for Ajax and knows that we're paying the most out of all clubs in for him (presuming that the English team is us and not Liverpool or City), on top of that, he's played for United and will be able to tell De Ligt what the experience is like playing at United compared to a European club.

Riola is also his agent and helping with the deal, we all know what he wants most.

Barcelona will be looking to low ball them after getting De Jong already.

As long as he doesn't have his heart set on Barcelona we're in with a very good shout.

Andersons Dietician

Would be so stupid of him to come here. I actually don't know if I can trust his decision making if that happens.
Why? He’s 19, we need a CB or 2. We are Manchester United a massive name and have a position he’d walk in to where he would be the big cheese. We also have the power and financial clout that someone like himself might think ok if they bring in this and that player including myself we maybe could do something.

If it doesn’t work out he is 19 and could leave in 4 years and still be nowhere near his prime.

spenzo

Why not any of the 5 teams above us ??
I don't mean the only teams that he's interested in. Just my guess as to where he'll end up. I don't think all 5 teams above us are looking to splash out on a centre back or that they all can for that matter. I'd probably add City as an option on reflection, making it even tougher for United.

Canagel

Why? He’s 19, we need a CB or 2. We are Manchester United a massive name and have a position he’d walk in to where he would be the big cheese. We also have the power and financial clout that someone like himself might think ok if they bring in this and that player including myself we maybe could do something.

If it doesn’t work out he is 19 and could leave in 4 years and still be nowhere near his prime.
You wouldn't blame him for second thoughts.

United last 6 years is where player careers goes to die.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Or maybe he fancies the challenge of helping United build back to former glories.

If it was the case that no quality players will join anyone but the best teams then how does football go in the cycles it does?

I have no idea if De Light would sign for us, but we're Manchester United, not scunthorpe United and despite what many of our own fans think, there will be quality players who want to be part of Ole's rebuild.

nycender

In a season where seemingly everything can get worse this has Liverpool written all over it :(

City seem keen to push out Otamendi and I wouldn't be surprised if this was Kompany's last season at the Etihad,possibly last season in football in general.
So that would leave City with a 2 centre backs in Stones and Laporte which is obviously not enough.

Barca also seem reportedly keen on getting shot of a couple of their own centre backs this summer with Umtiti the major one who's been constantly linked elsewhere.
Pique himself isn't getting any younger and there are some uncertainties with Lenglet, though he's going to stick around for another Barca campaign atleast.

Real Madrid could be abit of a dark-horse in all this though you'd have to say they reportedly have major priorities elsewhere in their squad.

I honestly wouldn't put us in the mix. De Ligt looks like a levelled headed individual and he could see how much work United need to do to regain its grip on major honours in European football.Sure we're still a major club and we will certainly be a challenge for the young Dutchman but I feel it'll be too much of a ask and a questionable career decision for him to sign on for us for atleast 3 campaigns. Again,I believe he's smart enough to distant himself from our club for the time being.

Spurs,Liverpool I cant see being interested purely down to the major fee involved.I also feel these two teams are relatively good at the back for atleast another campaign.

Last edited:

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
In a season where seemingly everything can get worse this has Liverpool written all over it :(
Klopp might get romanced by Barcelona if he wins the CL this year. I'd imagine Barca might tempt him. Without Klopp, liverpool would rapidly decline I reckon

-Supreme-

Don't agree. They could do with a permanent partner for Van Dijk, especially as Gomez has had a few problems with injuries. Matip is a bit mixed and Lovren might leave for more regular football. I think they would be very interested in De Ligt.
Yes no doubt they would be interested if they have no limit transfer budget.

I just can't see them spending £80m+ on another CB where they desperately need reinforcements for their attack and FBs in terms of squad depth.

redshaw

Can see him coming here to be honest although without CL football it is quite a come down to play in Europa considering the run they had. He might favour the battle of the English league, he's very young and if we end up going nowhere he can move on with a lot of experience in his early 20s but the big issue for a few English sides is this rotation of CL spots. United really need to get their act together and establish being top 3.

Missing out the odd time might be ok, people hate hearing about top 4 but United have only finished in the top 4 twice in six years, that's appalling and doesn't instill confidence.

Van Aanholt's Express

Supports
Wigan
Yes no doubt they would be interested if they have no limit transfer budget.

I just can't see them spending £80m+ on another CB where they desperately need reinforcements for their attack and FBs in terms of squad depth.
Doubt he'll go for that much but they'll have money to burn next window.

Klopp might get romanced by Barcelona if he wins the CL this year. I'd imagine Barca might tempt him. Without Klopp, liverpool would rapidly decline I reckon
Nah,Klopp will stick around at Liverpool for another couple of years.I generally dont think teams like Barca,Madrid really interest him.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Agreed, if only liverpool had done the same after finishing 8th in Klopp's first half season.

United too in 1992 when Leeds won the league....
I find the current predilection for abusing our players and ridiculing our club pretty sickening. We've been shite, sure, but it's a bit much expecting everyone at Old Trafford to roll up their sleeves and get stuck in to the next chapter when so many of our fan base are hell bent on posting memes of our centre forwards first touch and what have you. I guess we just sit around on our arses being hilariously ironic until we start winning shit again and we can all join in.

Nice way of putting he can't handle the pressure of being at those clubs, well, mainly Real
Nah,Klopp has gone on record in saying winning trophies at the likes of Barca and Madrid just seems abit hollow.
Where's the challenge ? These teams go out,sign some of the best players in the world and hey presto you've got another La Liga or CL for the ever increasing trophy cabinet.
He's clearly good enough to win titles with the likes of Barca and Madrid.Heck if Enrique,Valverde and Zidane can win titles with them I'm pretty sure Klopp can.

Klopp seems to want something more,which is why I dont think we interested him as such as we were still riding on the waves of SAF reputation.
With the likes of Madrid,Barca and maybe Bayern he would just be another footnote in thier clubs history.

izec

Was he the one being nutmegged by Danny Rose of all people which led to the Spurs first goal? Do not want

But seriously he's a tank for a 19 year old, not sure how quick he is though. Reckon his pace is just about the same as Lindelof?
yes

he is a bit faster than Lindelöf, but not super fast either.

Nah,Klopp has gone on record in saying winning trophies at the likes of Barca and Madrid just seems abit hollow.
Where's the challenge ? These teams go out,sign some of the best players in the world and hey presto you've got another La Liga or CL for the ever increasing trophy cabinet.
He's clearly good enough to win titles with the likes of Barca and Madrid.Heck if Enrique,Valverde and Zidane can win titles with them I'm pretty sure Klopp can.

Klopp seems to want something more,which is why I dont think we interested him as such as we were still riding on the waves of SAF reputation.
With the likes of Madrid,Barca and maybe Bayern he would just be another footnote in thier clubs history.
Thats true. He said it often in interviews. Thats why him and Dortmund respectively Liverpool are a match made in heaven. He likes to manage sleeping giants and 'make them great again'. That motivates him.

Cal?

CR7 fan

Zidane is probably the best manager in the world (he took 2.5 years to do what only 2 other managers have ever done, ever!) Even the likes of Sir Alex, Mourinho, St Pep & co couldn't/haven't done it.

I see it as him needing time to impose his style (which is fine), but those clubs (mainly Real), do not give managers time.

Raven

I don't think De Ligt will end up here. But I think people writing it off entirely, because he'd be mental to come here are being a little ridiculous. This fella has been part of one of the most impressive squad building exercises of the last decade or so. Why on earth would coming into a similar situation, with more potential, put him off? Especially when he would fix a lot of our current problems and he knows we aren't a selling team.

IrishMcD

Please don't be Liverpool, don't think I could take watching himself and VVD sauntering up for a corner at Old Trafford, only to be marked by our own pairing of Jones and Smalling.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Please don't be Liverpool, don't think I could take watching himself and VVD sauntering up for a corner at Old Trafford, only to be marked by our own pairing of Jones and Smalling.
I’ve got a feeling he’ll end up at Liverpool

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Klopp also said that he'd never spend big money on a single player which is bullshit and he also said before the Barca game that scoring early doesn't matter which is clearly bullshit. These kinds of answers aren't made honestly but made to deflect from what the reporter wants to talk about.

It's not certain that he'd win trophies at Real. Depends on how quickly he'd be able to implement his philosophy because they're not a patient bunch over there.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
I’ve got a feeling he’ll end up at Liverpool
Even if hypothetically financial side isn't primary for De Ligt, can Liverpool match bigger clubs offers without upsetting their wage structure? I guess Man Utd and Barcelona can throw 250K/PW at him without blinking.

Varun

Staff

He talks a lot of shite so there's that.

Rojofiam

If we signed no one but him in the summer I would be okay with it. That's how high I rate him. I don't want the 2020s to be the same as the 2010s when we missed out on so many world class talents and watched in sorrow as they became the best players of the world. Hazard, Modric, Varane, etc. The list goes on

Scarecrow

Having a week off

Because he'd have the pick of the litter and we've been the worst run "massive name" club for the past 5 years. I wouldn't go somewhere, not knowing who my manager is gonna be in two weeks, what the team is gonna look like and if we have any chance of competing in the near future or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.