Memphis Depay | PSV confirm deal with Man Utd is agreed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
Sorry but Depay isnt really the best player in the league, he has been out of form for too long to be considered that, Guardado, Wijnaldum, Clasie, Cillessen are all better imo.
So 2 defensive midfielders, an attacking midfielder and a keeper are better? Kind of a weird comparison to a 21 year old left winger. They're all great players for their respective clubs, but none of them are playing their first full season whilst being the topscorer in the league. You can't really compare the lot on ability, since they're playing in different roles.

Memphis is better than all attacking options in the league, including over his captain Wijnaldum (who's got more defensive duties than him as CAM).

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
So 2 defensive midfielders, an attacking midfielder and a keeper are better? Kind of a weird comparison to a 21 year old left winger. They're all great players for their respective clubs, but none of them are playing their first full season whilst being the topscorer in the league. You can't really compare the lot on ability, since they're playing in different roles.

Memphis is better than all attacking options in the league, including over his captain Wijnaldum (who's got more defensive duties than him as CAM).
Well I can tell you Ramos is better than Young, let me put it this way, if there was a player of the year list, Depay shouldnt come first.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
Well I can tell you Ramos is better than Young, let me put it this way, if there was a player of the year list, Depay shouldnt come first.
It would be between Guardado, Clasie and Memphis. Guardado is a seasoned veteran who brings balance to an otherwise extremely inexperienced PSV. Clasie is Feyenoord their best player. Memphis is the topscorer who won PSV many points single handed, he's involved in most of PSV their attacks.

It's not as clear as Ramos and Young. I think most will rate Memphis the best as it's only his first full season and because PSV are probably going to be champions. All the players you've mentioned had bad games this year aswell, not only Memphis. I'm pretty sure he will be player of the year.

Sammyjunn

It would be between Guardado, Clasie and Memphis. Guardado is a seasoned veteran who brings balance to an otherwise extremely inexperienced PSV. Clasie is Feyenoord their best player. Memphis is the topscorer who won PSV many points single handed, he's involved in most of PSV their attacks.

It's not as clear as Ramos and Young. I think most will rate Memphis the best as it's only his first full season and because PSV are probably going to be champions. All the players you've mentioned had bad games this year aswell, not only Memphis. I'm pretty sure he will be player of the year.
Well Cillessen is a regular for the Dutch NT, has won Ajax many points too and besides the occasional mistake (has he had any) has been ajax' best and most consistent player the whole season, he's amongst Ajax' best players almost every game, similar to DDG. Memphis for example has been quite poor for a while, he still gets some goals but similar to Ronaldo, they mask his overall game massively. I even think Willems has been better than his this season, he'll probably end up player of the year, because of top scorer and all the hype about him, but I dont think he's the best player.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
Well Cillessen is a regular for the Dutch NT, has won Ajax many points too and besides the occasional mistake (has he had any) has been ajax' best and most consistent player the whole season, he's amongst Ajax' best players almost every game, similar to DDG. Memphis for example has been quite poor for a while, he still gets some goals but similar to Ronaldo, they mask his overall game massively. I even think Willems has been better than his this season, he'll probably end up player of the year, because of top scorer and all the hype about him, but I dont think he's the best player.
Cillessen has had his share of mistakes, but I agree he's one of the best players for Ajax this season. Vermeer has been equally as good for Feyenoord, but he made mistakes too. They're not getting it, especially since their teams are 2nd/3rd.

Willems offensively has been massive, but he's still a liability when it comes to defending. He also takes corners/free kicks so his assist count is a bit higher. He's the best attacking leftback in the league.

Memphis started this season amazingly well. He's had his dip in form but is still scoring goals and improving parts of his game, he never was this teamplayer before. Surely he will get it since he even scored more than PSV their striker, you can disagree about him being the best player though.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
No snap judgements based off one game today please folks.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
No snap judgements based off one game today please folks.
Not a snap judgement, I am just not convinced he is going to be the next Hazard. Plenty of imports from weaker teams/leagues don't turn into the world class players they are touted as

stepic

I think tonight kinda exemplifies how much better Bale is to Depay tho, as if it needed reinforcing

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Depay just reminds me of a young Nani, and we all know how that worked out. Sometimes playing in a weak league makes it easy for attacking players to look like the next Messi. I am not saying that Depay definitely wont turn out any good. I am simply saying that there is a substantial risk involved, whilst some on here are convinced that he is the next big thing. I havent really seen enough of him to make a detailed, accurate judgement - but the very fact that I havent seen or heard that much of him this season suggests to me that he isnt performing at such a high level that the world is suddenly taking notice. When it was Hazard a few years back, he was the talk of the town for basically the entire season before moving.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Depay just reminds me of a young Nani, and we all know how that worked out. Sometimes playing in a weak league makes it easy for attacking players to look like the next Messi. I am not saying that Depay definitely wont turn out any good. I am simply saying that there is a substantial risk involved, whilst some on here are convinced that he is the next big thing. I havent really seen enough of him to make a detailed, accurate judgement - but the very fact that I havent seen or heard that much of him this season suggests to me that he isnt performing at such a high level that the world is suddenly taking notice. When it was Hazard a few years back, he was the talk of the town for basically the entire season before moving.
Was one of the best wingers in the league for years.

Sammyjunn

Not similar at all, Nani is very silky, skillfull, agile, fragile and loved to produce magic, beat defenders, Depay is more like the current Ronaldo. Very direct and always looking to score.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You admittedly haven't seen much of him but are prepared to write him off because you haven't seen or heard much of him this season. Bizarre logic.

Below is a bit from someone who knows a bit about him.

As someone who followed Memphis for years, he's definately more like Bale/Ronaldo than like Hazard.

He can leave behind 3 defenders in a small space but he's more comfortable in beating 1 or 2 with speed and flair. That's what he's best at, when he has some space in front of him.

He's a teamplayer and not egoistic, he'll pass or cross if he thinks he can't beat what's in front of him. His right foot is deadly, he can curve balls from anywhere within 30 meters of the goal and he will do this. This makes him so good (or frustrating, if you're a pessimist).

His selling point for me is that he has no real weakness. He can do everything and the things he's not good at he is improving at an alarming rate. His decision making isn't perfect yet, but compared to the Memphis of 1.5 years ago he looks a completely different player. He's so much more complete and he's only 21. He's already very strong too so he doesn't get shrugged off the ball like most young wingers.

At 30m, for what I'm seeing now, I think that he's definately worth it. He may turn out like crap, but I believe that he will be a star whereever he goes. I'd be heartbroken if he goes to Liverpool. Will he become the next Ronaldo? You never know, he has everything to become it though. At the very least he'll become a good winger for a club like Everton.

This post was brought to you by a biased PSV follower :wenger:

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
He's the top scorer in the Eredivisie(17 goals) Dempay having a great season. Also people forget that one of the big reasons why the Hazard transfer was getting lots of courage was because Hazard himself said he was going to announce it on fecking twitter(And he did).

So while I agree with some of the concerns you have, using that that lack of news courage on Depay as a reason against him is a bit silly.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He was talked about loads in the first half, scoring or assisting pretty much every game. Gone a bit quiet since the new year but either way, he has 23 goals in 34 games this season plus however many assists he has, and he only just turned 21. Those are great numbers for a young winger whatever way you look at it.

khoazany

I don't think we need goalscoring winger but wouldn't be against it if we can have one, especially with our misfiring strikers.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
He's nothing like Nani. Nani never scored nearly as much in his career as Depay has this season, especially not at 21 years old.

Devil may care

I've watched a few PSV games this season and all of the Dutch qualifiers, when you look at him tonight and then look at Hazard and Bale tonight and Sterling last night, he looks a couple of notches below all 3 and doesn't attack with the ball nearly enough.

If he is signed then so be it, but I wouldn't be losing a lot of sleep if I was Ashley Young, I don't see him coming in and blowing the league away.

Nani also never played in a league where Alfonso Alves can score 7 goals in a game.
No but he played in a league where the bugger scored 3 in a game. :(

POF

I don't think we need goalscoring winger but wouldn't be against it if we can have one, especially with our misfiring strikers.
A goal scoring winger (or 2) is exactly what United needs. It's why they haven't played 4-3-3 more this season. Whether Depay is the right option or not is a different matter.

khoazany

A goal scoring winger (or 2) is exactly what United needs. It's why they haven't played 4-3-3 more this season. Whether Depay is the right option or not is a different matter.
Nope.We need more of a pacey and/or tricky winger to provide more services to the strikers."Goalscoring wingers" also need some services which we are lack of.

POF

Nope.We need more of a pacey and/or tricky winger to provide more services to the strikers."Goalscoring wingers" also need some services which we are lack of.
Just my opinion but in a 4-3-3 your wingers need to score. United's current system is well balanced but lacks goals, especially with Rooney leading the line. In the current first 11, only Rooney would be seen as prolific. Mata, Herrera and Di Maria will chip in here and there but they are more creative players than goal scorers.

The biggest issue all season has been lack of goal threat when they don't play the diamond and that is because they don't have wingers who are a goal threat.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
Just my opinion but in a 4-3-3 your wingers need to score. United's current system is well balanced but lacks goals, especially with Rooney leading the line. In the current first 11, only Rooney would be seen as prolific. Mata, Herrera and Di Maria will chip in here and there but they are more creative players than goal scorers.

The biggest issue all season has been lack of goal threat when they don't play the diamond and that is because they don't have wingers who are a goal threat.
Memphis will give you that. He isn't the finished product and he will be frustrating his 1st season, he's only 21. He's going to have bad spells of form like he currently has, but he already has the habit to score goals when it otherwise was a bad performance. You can compare him a bit with Ronaldo, a very direct winger. He is the perfect winger: strong, very fast (especially first few meters) and has a good shot in him. Has the right mentality, Louis van Gaal has been a good factor in this by bringing him to the national team early on in his carreer. He had a tough youth and hasn't always had this, he's now fully dedicated to his football.

I base my opinion on him having watched him for 4-5 years now, he has improved massively the last 2 years. He used to only cut inside and shoot, but right now he's a real team player and the star of PSV. He can do everything, he has no real weakness. Headers, assists+goals with left and right foot, he can beat a man, spots a tap-in.

Tonight wasn't his best performance. He was okay, tried some crosses/beat his man a few times and had a couple of shots. It all missed accuracy though. He's in a bit of a form dip. He still needs to work on his decision making the most, but has already improved this massively from always doing a Robben. He's clearly training on all his weak parts to become more complete and can pretty much do everything. He's just not as good in executing it all the time. Needs to work on his defending too, at PSV he doesn't need to do much of it but he's not great at it yet.

I really think he's a gem. You never know how a young player turns out to be, but he certainly has everything to become the next superstar. Will he be an instant improvement or can we rely on him the whole season? Probably not the whole season, he's too young for that. He will certainly show some signs of promise. PSV confirmed he's leaving and right now is the time to buy him, especially with Louis van Gaal. With Memphis, Di Maria, Januzaj, Young and maybe Lingard and Mata we should have enough cover for the wings.

I believe he's coming, trusted Dutch media does aswell.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I think Memphis is the type of player that will be moaning about him years from now if we don't sign him. I think he has the technical ability, flair and just overall confidence of someone who will develop into an elite attacking player in World Football.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He's never looked all that convincing whenever I have seen him play. If we're signing a winger we need some in the Hazard mould who can go past players for fun and cause all sorts of panic. Depay just isn't that kind of player.

I'd be more than happy going to next season with Young, Mata, Di Maria, Januzaj and Nani as our options. I don't think Depay has it in him to even reach the level Young did let alone reach Nani's level.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
No offence to Max but when we all share such different opinions on the quality of certain United players - why is it generally assumed that a foreign fan who has access to watching a player week in week out is going to be able to make a sound judgement on the future worth of a player. He is better placed than us ... yes but that doesn't mean his views are not subject to scrutiny. He may have the same biases we have when we like an individual player.

I agree with him that Depay has crazy amount of potential. . Technical ability, athleticism and a fair amount of arrogance but I have watched a lot of matches of him and whilst he'll get a goal or make a match winning contribution - his overall performance isn't world beating as of yet. He's definitely not as dangerous as a young Ronaldo who looked like he could tear anyone apart and he plays at a slower tempo.

Right now he remains a work in progress for me and I don't think he'd cut it at United considering our long term aims. He is a gamble and if we have the money for a Bale.. we should prioritise that signing and look at Depay the season after.

Zoo

I think Memphis is the type of player that will be moaning about him years from now if we don't sign him. I think he has the technical ability, flair and just overall confidence of someone who will develop into an elite attacking player in World Football.
And Van Gaal has worked with him before. I'd have no major worries over this transfer.

m1y2

As much as I think it would be nice if we bought depay and he turned out to be a ronaldo type player I think we need a winger with good close dribbling like Hazard, or Lucas Moura, If Depay doesn't have a good game he feels like Obertan..

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Nani also never played in a league where Alfonso Alves can score 7 goals in a game.
England wouldn't even dream of producing the same level of talent produced by Holland in the past 30 years.

JohnnyLaw

As much as I think it would be nice if we bought depay and he turned out to be a ronaldo type player I think we need a winger with good close dribbling like Hazard, or Lucas Moura, If Depay doesn't have a good game he feels like Obertan..
I don't think there's anyone like that available. And I don't want to miss out on a Ronaldo because we were waiting for a Messi. Or miss a Ribery because we were waiting for a Robben or whatever. There's a winger right now who has alot of potential that makes complete sense for us to get right now. We can get our Hazard/Moura later when one reveals himself but for now I'd take the one that is there for the taking. This thread is starting to remind me alot about the Strootman thread pre his move to Roma where opinions were very much split aswell and for similar reasons. And we all ended up wishing we had signed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.